Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think of all those (librarians especially) as boss types I guess. Don't think there's a way to reliably kill any of those silently (some might fall to an over pressured tikhar?). Should've just said grunts and lurkers / nosalises, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Librarians dont need killing really and i dont consider them bosses. Demons are an avoidable boss-like enemy, but i dont consider them bosses. But i could see the argument to call either of them bosses. Shrimps are far too populous to be called bosses though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah I don't think there's ever a situation where you fight shrimps that you have to worry about stealth, at least. Outside of the set pieces you can usually just run away from them.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Dogen posted:

Throwing knives are one hit kills to non boss enemies on any difficulty I think. Head shots are from most guns. The main difference in hardcore is the disappearing HUD and body shot damage from Kalash et al, which is generally to the player's disadvantage.

Where'd you hear that? It says the opposite on the ending of LL.

They hint at it at the end of the Pavel mission. There are two guys who are talking about how a gang was wiped out and how he was the only survivor because the attacker thought he was dead and overlooked him.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

blackguy32 posted:

They hint at it at the end of the Pavel mission. There are two guys who are talking about how a gang was wiped out and how he was the only survivor because the attacker thought he was dead and overlooked him.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I was also getting him conflated with Ulman :(

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I thought that was just supposed to be one of thousand goons i murdered.

Knives arent only useful in stealth. With some practice, you can whip them around in combat. Its on the slow-ish side but its faster than reloading.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I just got 2033 and Last Light Redux for like 15 bucks on a Steam Sale. I'm on the Chase chapter, riding to Riga from the home station on the handcart. The three mole-men things attack us, and I easily kill the first one and second one with my firearms. Then the third one is in my face and I can't shoot him. A quick-time event initiates and I have no idea what I'm supposed to press because no matter what I die every time. Any help?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Wait until nosalsies are on the cart to shoot them. The duplet is good at that range, kills mutants very dead. Aim for their face with the revolver. Don't bother using the bastard gun, it's poo poo.

press Q to heal. mash E during QTEs. if you're in ranger/ranger hardcore, mash E whenever it feels like it's a QTE.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I finally figured it out, but thanks. This game is pretty awesome so far. The only thing that sucks is it revealed that my rig is, finally, no longer bleeding-edge. And my wife won't let me upgrade it until I get a new job, since I'll be out of the Army in April. I had to downgrade the graphics to play. :smith:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The 4A engine is pretty crazy intensive, especially on higher settings.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I revisited this game again after a year or so. Goddamn, I forgot how stellar it is. My only complaint is that you can't carry more than 20 rounds for the Valve, which is a shame because that gun is insanely satisfying to use. Maybe someone figured out a way to remove the cap or force it to use the military-grade ammo.

SpookyLizard posted:

The 4A engine is pretty crazy intensive, especially on higher settings.

I actually feel like this game is really well optimized. I struggle to run games like Farcry 3 at anything above a mediocre framerate and apart from a few moments in the game where it attempts to load the entire level at once (a specific area in Bandits comes to mind) I'm usually sitting at ~50-60 fps despite running it on my 4 year old laptop.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Oh, it is optimized very well, it's just that since you have no control over individual settings, you can't turn up everything without also turning on some very more graphics intensive settings. Very High taxes my system dramatically more than High. Though High is loving beautiful, and only ever gets chuggy in certain parts.

Now I want to play this gamae some more.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004
I think my game is bugged. Is there supposed to be a simple way to start the railcar in the level Regina? Nothing I'm doing (Pressing E, F, W) is starting the railcar. I even restarted the level but nothing works. I don't even get a prompt to start the car (I'm on Ranger difficulty so I figured it was part of the game). Is there something obvious I am missing?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Did you try space? I can't remember off the top of my head.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004

Dogen posted:

Did you try space? I can't remember off the top of my head.

I actually found a way to fix it by switching to my controller for that part. Not sure why it bugged out. The game proceeded to bug out a bit more but I was able to finally advance.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, restart for the car was either space or shift but it sounds like the game might have been seeing your controller as the primary imput.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Geez, just got through the Metro 2033: Redux Trolley Wars level: my god that was a test of patience, and, perhaps a reveal of my lack of perception:

* While in the trolley turret, in that one segment with fighting the troops at the station that appears to your left with the abandoned railcar, I could not see _any_ of the enemies to shoot at. And I have a really large monitor so I was puzzled why I couldn't make a bead on the enemies. The goofy turret controls were not helping, either. I saw their bullet tracers and a few armored nazi troops running up close but only when they happened to be running through my gunsight. After reloading the checkpoint a few times I was just spraying and praying until I finally got through that segment.

Would nightvision goggles have helped there? I forgot to pick them up before starting the map :rubshands:

* Later when I encountered the kid, I didn't realize he had hopped up on my back: I thought he had ran out of the room and back to the tunnel, like a lot of other NPCs have done before (i.e. they run up to their next scripted location), and then I thought a bug was making my mouse move funny since the mouse started lagging after the kid "ran off". To attempt to correct the mouse issue I shut down and restarted the game, but I noticed the same problem with the mouse. So I continued to play from where I left off to hope the problem would correct itself.

Once I got out to the tunnel and heard the kid talking while close-by I thought another bug made him invisible, until I saw my shadow indicated that I had two heads. :downsgun:

To get out of the level with the kid from that point was getting impossible for me, since the Lurkers were attacking so quickly that I was down to no health kits and getting murdered. I have been playing on Hardcore skill which appears to make Lurkers very dangerous when they attack.

I finally said "the hell with it" and just sprinted with the kid on my back down thru the tunnels just following all the lit-up paths and was able to reach the exit vent with the sunlight streaming through the big fan, which I accomplished, proudly, on my first attempt.
:smug: I suppose now that if you are already moving that makes it tough for the Lurkers to home in to attack.

So far this game feels like a combination of elements of STALKER and, due to the clumsily-scripted events, Call of Duty (my apologies). But still enjoying it. I already bought Last Light Redux so look forward to that title next.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 22, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't know how 2033 redux is, but comparing the original version, last light has better gameplay in general.

I personally prefer 2033 for stylistic reasons and a few elements of its gameplay, but it is definitely a headache more often than last light. Both the dumb trolley level and the part with the kid are some of the most obnoxious parts.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I don't know how 2033 redux is, but comparing the original version, last light has better gameplay in general.

I personally prefer 2033 for stylistic reasons and a few elements of its gameplay, but it is definitely a headache more often than last light. Both the dumb trolley level and the part with the kid are some of the most obnoxious parts.
Thanks, that's good to hear. I forgot to ask if 2033 had any more obnoxious levels upcoming like Trolley Wars and you answered my question.

2033 Redux has a number of changes, in which the Gamefaq-link below points a lot of them out. I only partially played the first 2033 and put it aside, then once the 2033 Redux came out I just started a new game from there.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/935068-metro-2033/faqs/59427

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 22, 2015

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Last light has a lot smoother gameplay in general. You can have that style of gameplay in Spartan 2033/Last Light, and a more cumbersome, slower gameplay more like the original Metro 2033 in Survival 2033/Last Light.

That awkward on rails shooter is pretty difficult, but doable. You just gotta kinda do it once or twice and maybe be a little lucky.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Climbing up the tower at the end of 2033 redux took a lot more effort than it did in the original. The demons kept instant killing me for some reason or another. The clunky controls at the trolley were a huge pain as well.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I hate nosalis. They are supposed to be mutant fodder but holy poo poo, the hardest and unnerving bits from both games have always been the levels where you face them in groups. Cursed chief amongst them, with the two static defence bits in LL as close challengers.

I can deal with spiders and lurkers and librarians but gently caress nosalis.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Those parts are at least supposed to be tense and make you panic. Trying yelling BLYAT or SUKA, that seems to help the NPCs get through tough situations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah Nosalises were raging assholes and I always thought ways harder than you'd figure they be. If anythingthing maybe the game is better for it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Pwnstar posted:

Those parts are at least supposed to be tense and make you panic. Trying yelling BLYAT or SUKA, that seems to help the NPCs get through tough situations.

There needs to be a dedicated button for shouting Russian profanities.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Like the middle finger button in Blood Dragon.

The trick is to shoot them in the head. No, really, it makes them die A LOT faster. I prefer Ranger Hardcore for myself, and a single revolver headshot kills basically anything. 5.45 guns are moderately effective against them, and there's just a certain range where shambler shots will go from multiple shells to a single one. Learning that sweet spot pays massive dividends to not wasting ammo. Nailing one with a throwing knife won't kill them at full health, but it's immensely satisfying. Hellsing kills 'em pretty great too. In Last Light, whenever you get the opportunity to stealth kill them (which happens less often in 2033), do so. A single knife stealth kills them good.

They're really dangerous in Last Light and 2033 Redux because they use the Last Light style attacks. In the original Metro 2033 they had a very nasty lunge attack, not unlike Watchmen or Lurkers. In Last Light and 2033 Redux, they don't have the really nasty lunge attack, but they have a very deadly, very rapid series of swipes that can just outright kill you on higher difficulties. Dodging the first and following blows is very important, though you can take three or four hits of that first swipe and still live.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
They were at their worst in the Last Light Tower DLC. They were aggressive as gently caress and had all sorts of techniques to take you down.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I favoured revolver or shambler against nosalises. I never have much luck with assault rifles versus mutants in any game.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

I favoured revolver or shambler against nosalises. I never have much luck with assault rifles versus mutants in any game.

Automatic weapons work fine against mutants in the original Metro 2033, but shotguns are much better for mutant-busting in Last Light (and presumably, 2033 Redux).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The RPK works pretty well on them in the rail car sequence in LL, or anywhere you have a good distance to line up head shots, using it like a carbine.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dogen posted:

The RPK works pretty well on them in the rail car sequence in LL, or anywhere you have a good distance to line up head shots, using it like a carbine.

I've noticed headshots seem to be a lot less effective on nosalises than on virtually any other mutant in the game. I suspect the hitbox is either a little bit wonky or they have some serious resistances to headshot damage.

I say this because whenever I use the tikhar, revolver or an assault rifle on watchmen they drop like flies but even when I'm unloading on a stationary nosalis it just sits there and takes it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

If they're running straight at you, the RPK works fine. If you don't have time to line up a shot or they're not moving straight it's tough to hit the head, you just have to fife short bursts to the body.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

fennesz posted:

I've noticed headshots seem to be a lot less effective on nosalises than on virtually any other mutant in the game. I suspect the hitbox is either a little bit wonky or they have some serious resistances to headshot damage.

I say this because whenever I use the tikhar, revolver or an assault rifle on watchmen they drop like flies but even when I'm unloading on a stationary nosalis it just sits there and takes it.

Watchmen have very big heads. Nosalsies don't. You pretty much have to hit them in their actual face for the headshot. Nonheadshots do piss all it feels, but like I've said before, revolvers drop nosalises like nothing else with headshots.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

SpookyLizard posted:

Watchmen have very big heads. Nosalsies don't. You pretty much have to hit them in their actual face for the headshot. Nonheadshots do piss all it feels, but like I've said before, revolvers drop nosalises like nothing else with headshots.

I'm not so sure. The middle of the church catacombs section in Last Light has nosalises jumping onto your elevator and hanging out point blank while completely exposed. I wasn't ever able to one shot them with any shotgun, revolver or pneumatic weapon in that section. Maybe I'm just the worst ever but when my crosshair is between their eyes and they don't die... :shrug:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I think I usually have an auto shotty there and they get knocked off quite handily. Maybe it's a difficulty level issue, where paradoxically they soak more damage on lower difficulties?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Dogen posted:

I think I usually have an auto shotty there and they get knocked off quite handily. Maybe it's a difficulty level issue, where paradoxically they soak more damage on lower difficulties?

That's exactly it.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

KaneTW posted:

That's exactly it.

The last few times I did that section I was on Ranger Hardcore. It's odd because I routinely 1 tap watchmen with the tikhar and the AKSU but nosalises are just so much beefier in my experience. I'll make sure to bring a revolver next time.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
So, I finally finished the Metro: 2033 book, and it was pretty good. I was kind of surprised that they cut the whole cannibal section out of the game, but I can understand why they did it. Also, Artyom is completely different in the book than he is from the game. In the book, he pretty much seems like a bumbling idiot for 85% of it.

That being said, I think I really like the narrative of Last Light a whole lot more as it seems a lot more personal and you have a lot more of a direct effect on the narrative. I really do hope that they plan on making a novelization of Last Light.

By the way, how is Metro 2034?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

2034's alright but not as good as 2033. The translation is much better, but I felt that sort of took away from the oppressive atmosphere of the book along with the perspective change between characters. It has more of a drive to the plot and more characters and is less about exploring modern-day Russia through a post-apocalyptic hellscape, but at the same time really isn't as interesting as just exploring the idea of the Metro and how humanity is coping, and those parts are as good as before. It shares a few story beats with Last Light as well so it'll feel a little familiar. It also drags out one of the plot's central mysteries way too long, especially since it's obvious from the start what happened (you'll know it when you see it if you read the book). It ends on a slightly hopeful note too as a nice contrast from 2033. It's a more personal story in that it's more character driven so you might like it for that as well. Artyom still bumbles around when he's in it though. :v:

2035 is supposedly being written up now and is more or less taking the plot from Last Light as well. There's apparently also like a dozen spin-offs by other authors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

blackguy32 posted:

By the way, how is Metro 2034?
It's poo poo. You know how Metro 2033 is kinda up its own rear end at times with sub-Coelho mysticism and meta-commentary? Metro 2034 dives into that hole and never comes up for air. The plot is also a mostly irrelevant shaggy dog story, with far less exploration of the Metro world.

The Metro universe is an "open world" project, so based on spinoffs pretty much every major city in the world has survivors in their Metro stations (even though underground stations outside Russia generally aren't meant to be used as bomb shelters) or wherever. The spin-offs apparently share the abysmal quality of most modern-day Russian sci-fi.

• Locked thread