Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

blackguy32 posted:

So, I finally finished the Metro: 2033 book, and it was pretty good. I was kind of surprised that they cut the whole cannibal section out of the game, but I can understand why they did it. Also, Artyom is completely different in the book than he is from the game. In the book, he pretty much seems like a bumbling idiot for 85% of it.

That being said, I think I really like the narrative of Last Light a whole lot more as it seems a lot more personal and you have a lot more of a direct effect on the narrative. I really do hope that they plan on making a novelization of Last Light.

By the way, how is Metro 2034?

Considering that in the game Artyom falls over/gets captured/has something land on him/alerts mutants to his position approximately once every ten minutes I'd say the he is portrayed as a bumbling idiot in both versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I enjoyed them both, but thought the game metro2033 was more realized, if that makes sense. Like parts of the book were kind of crazy sounding, in regards to the star of the Kremlin having this captivating mind control or something, or the slimes that also had a mental psychic power. I wish the STALKER game community would try to have a REAL METRO 2033 mod, because the metro 2033/ll games,while awesome, don't exactly exactly feel the same as the books. I guess maybe that sort of "free form" roaming would be interesting in approaching bases, being pretty linear, which makes 2033 fair with the narrative, but superstition/abnormal/anomalies don't work the same way or feel as organic or threatening.

I really like both STALKER and Metro so I mean, maybe it is some jerkoff fanfic super game, but I love the currency metro does, while trying to have a free-roam open-world would be amazing. Clearly parts, much like in STALKER are just dead zones of radiation or harmful anomalies. Something with the atmosphere is done so well and beautifully realized.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The Kremlin stuff was probably the blob that was living under it controlling people's minds. But I'm wondering what ending they will settle on in metro 2035.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Bought the "Redux" versions of these games when they were recently on sale, and even though I own the original Metro 2033, I feel like the Redux was a huge improvement over the original (which was a little rough around the edges, despite being technically impressive). I especially like how a lot of things from Last Light were retroactively added into 2033, like the spiders (both big and small), which really helped make the two games feel a lot more like back-to-back chapters of the same story. The updated graphics engine is impressive too; I found myself frequently stopping just to snap a screenshot of the area, simply because the environments looked so good. Probably the best $25 I've spent on Steam in a while.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Scyron posted:

I enjoyed them both, but thought the game metro2033 was more realized, if that makes sense. Like parts of the book were kind of crazy sounding, in regards to the star of the Kremlin having this captivating mind control or something, or the slimes that also had a mental psychic power. I wish the STALKER game community would try to have a REAL METRO 2033 mod, because the metro 2033/ll games,while awesome, don't exactly exactly feel the same as the books. I guess maybe that sort of "free form" roaming would be interesting in approaching bases, being pretty linear, which makes 2033 fair with the narrative, but superstition/abnormal/anomalies don't work the same way or feel as organic or threatening.

I really like both STALKER and Metro so I mean, maybe it is some jerkoff fanfic super game, but I love the currency metro does, while trying to have a free-roam open-world would be amazing. Clearly parts, much like in STALKER are just dead zones of radiation or harmful anomalies. Something with the atmosphere is done so well and beautifully realized.

The next metro game is supposed to be pretty open worldy I guess, so there's that. I think the idea of actually being able to to go on scavenging missions and decide what you want to do and poo poo is gonna be really cool. Like, hey, poo poo, I need new equipment for this big mission I'm planning, time to take trips to the surface to scavenge poo poo and then go from station to station selling the poo poo I scavenge. That would be loving cool.

Also in general getting to explore more of the world would be nice.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Kshatriya was so good.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

hopterque posted:

The next metro game is supposed to be pretty open worldy I guess, so there's that. I think the idea of actually being able to to go on scavenging missions and decide what you want to do and poo poo is gonna be really cool. Like, hey, poo poo, I need new equipment for this big mission I'm planning, time to take trips to the surface to scavenge poo poo and then go from station to station selling the poo poo I scavenge. That would be loving cool.

Pretty much S.T.A.L.K.E.R. style.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
If I were to get redux, is there any must have reason to own it on pc over ps4? Like I already own metro 2033 and ll on pc, and they can hardily run well (30fps, dips, not on ultra), so I don't think the redux would be the best choice now, but in the future when I get my next pc and whenever they are on killer steam sale discount, versus $25~ for a ps4 disc copy, sooner than later.

I just don't have a lot going on for my ps4 until metal gear or mad max in september.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Scyron posted:

If I were to get redux, is there any must have reason to own it on pc over ps4? Like I already own metro 2033 and ll on pc, and they can hardily run well (30fps, dips, not on ultra), so I don't think the redux would be the best choice now, but in the future when I get my next pc and whenever they are on killer steam sale discount, versus $25~ for a ps4 disc copy, sooner than later.

I just don't have a lot going on for my ps4 until metal gear or mad max in september.

I mean...if you can't run the Redux games on your PC until your next upgrade, you might as well get them on PS4, because at least you'll be able to play them. Then, somewhere down the road when you upgrade your PC, there will be a Steam sale and you'll probably be able to pick up both games for $10 total or something crazy--if you feel so inclined to play them again at that point, maxed out on a KB+M setup.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

hopterque posted:

Also in general getting to explore more of the world would be nice.

Do you have a source on this?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Sorry for the thread necromacy, but I have a question regarding 2033 Redux and the difficulty levels:

I have both "original" releases for 2033 and LL, and I got 2033 Redux during the sale, since I never got around to playing the original.

Now, I remember people heartily recommending playing 2033 (the original) in Ranger Mode. When I launch 2033 Redux, I get "Survival" (Original 2033), "Spartan" (LL), and Normal, Hardcore, Ranger and Ranger Hardcore for each of those two. What's the recommended mode in this case?

And this got me thinking I could replay Last Light (original, not redux) in Ranger Mode once I finished playing 2033, but I remembered that Last Light got Ranger Mode as a DLC and when I went to check the store page... LL it's not there anmore, it's only Redux now. You can find some of the DLC for LL but Ranger Mode is not there. Was it eventually added to LL and I never realized it?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Edmond Dantes posted:

Sorry for the thread necromacy, but I have a question regarding 2033 Redux and the difficulty levels:

I have both "original" releases for 2033 and LL, and I got 2033 Redux during the sale, since I never got around to playing the original.

Now, I remember people heartily recommending playing 2033 (the original) in Ranger Mode. When I launch 2033 Redux, I get "Survival" (Original 2033), "Spartan" (LL), and Normal, Hardcore, Ranger and Ranger Hardcore for each of those two. What's the recommended mode in this case?

And this got me thinking I could replay Last Light (original, not redux) in Ranger Mode once I finished playing 2033, but I remembered that Last Light got Ranger Mode as a DLC and when I went to check the store page... LL it's not there anmore, it's only Redux now. You can find some of the DLC for LL but Ranger Mode is not there. Was it eventually added to LL and I never realized it?

Metro Redux comes with all dlc, including ranger mode for LL. Ranger increases the damage both you and the enemy do and take, most things die in a few bullets. Survival mode is how 2033 did it, bullets and resources are scarce and you're scrounging, Spartan mode they're more plentiful and you're expected to be in firefights more than sneaking around. I recently played through 2033 on Ranger Spartan and it was fun though it sort of falls apart at times. I have no idea what standard Hardcore is, but Ranger Hardcore goes further and removes the HUD, so you have to rely on checking your inventory, glancing at your gun to make sure there's still a bullet in there, etc. (For example, the Bastard SMG you can see the bullets still loaded so you can guesstimate what you have left).

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

RBA Starblade posted:

Metro Redux comes with all dlc, including ranger mode for LL. Ranger increases the damage both you and the enemy do and take, most things die in a few bullets. Survival mode is how 2033 did it, bullets and resources are scarce and you're scrounging, Spartan mode they're more plentiful and you're expected to be in firefights more than sneaking around. I recently played through 2033 on Ranger Spartan and it was fun though it sort of falls apart at times. I have no idea what standard Hardcore is, but Ranger Hardcore goes further and removes the HUD, so you have to rely on checking your inventory, glancing at your gun to make sure there's still a bullet in there, etc. (For example, the Bastard SMG you can see the bullets still loaded so you can guesstimate what you have left).

Oh, I only have 2033 Redux, I have the original LL (I don't know if that's what you meant).

Thanks for the rundown on the modes; I'll probably give ranger hardcore a try for a couple hours to see how it goes. I do remember having run completely out of bullets by the falling subway in the original 2033, so I hope I've gotten better since. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Edmond Dantes posted:

Oh, I only have 2033 Redux, I have the original LL (I don't know if that's what you meant).

Thought you had both, sorry. Not sure about LL then. Maybe they just want everyone to buy the Redux version from now on.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah I do not think you can buy non-Redux dlc anymore. Is the original Metro even up for sale?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

RBA Starblade posted:

Thought you had both, sorry. Not sure about LL then. Maybe they just want everyone to buy the Redux version from now on.

Makes sense, but it's really weird Ranger Mode is not available anymore; I thought they may have just included it with the base game after the backlash, but after some googling I see they just removed it completely from Steam. You can get it over amazon but it's like 5 bucks anyway so I could just get LL Redux for that price, but I probably won't do it.

Thanks again, mate.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So to clarify, the only difference between playing Spartan Ranger and Survival Ranger in Last Light is the amount of $ and filters? The damage values are the same?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think your watch is 2033 style in survival, that and some UI stuff.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah. Survival mode features less smooth gunplay,slower reloading, harder stealth, less resources and Artyom's watch from 2033. Spartan features Last Lights smoother gunplay, faster reloading, esaier stealth, more resources and his kick rear end nixie tube watch from Last Light. The watch is a good shorthand to check what mode you're in case you forget. Personally I find Survival to be much harder in general. Although Survival uses the much simpler Illuminated Y/N light from Last Light and not the red/amber/green lights from 2033. Spartan Ranger Hardcore is pretty great. Difficult, but fair. Ammo is sparse, but if you're careful it's never really an issue.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

2034 Survival mode is also incredibly easy. I have 350 MGR without trying and almost max ammo.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Necromancy ahoy! Recently bought 2033 and LL Redux, started playing 2033. The longest it's been able to go was for about 30 minutes, otherwise I'm getting unpredictable crashes all over. ATI card, PhysX disabled, same with tesselation and vsync. Anyone got some experience with that?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
What kind of ATI card? CPU or GPU overclocked?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Radeon 7800 and nothing's overclocked as far as I know.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

anilEhilated posted:

Radeon 7800 and nothing's overclocked as far as I know.

7850 or 70...? I haven't heard of a 7800. Make sure SSAA is turned off?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, computer just tells me it's 7800 series. Anyway, yeah, I turned everything off, game crashes even in safe mode. Could it be overheating? It's pretty drat hot these days.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It's quite possible, yes. I would use hwinfo64 or whatever the AMD equiv of Afterburner is to check out your GPU temps and maybe make the fan run at a higher speed using a custom profile, and maybe check to make sure the fan isn't messed up and the heatsink isn't clogged with dust.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I was absolutely failing at playing 2033 on ranger for the first time ever (I did play last light on ps3 a little but it sucked rear end). Then I started to roleplay as the main character from the 1979 movie "Stalker". A complete wretched coward with situational awareness and survival coming first.

I'm now kicking the game's rear end. Seriously this series is awesome if you play it right. 2033 really does make me feel like just any other guy in the metro going on a valiant mission alone. From what I played of Last Light I felt more like I was playing as Khan than a wretched coward.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I really wanted to like these games. But there was always like...two pieces missing to make it whole. At the end of Last Light, I was kind of just grinding through to see the end. The Khan DLC sidestory was cool, tho. Khan's a baller.

But the redux is good for bugs. :v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNGOG1qjSBY

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

NeoSeeker posted:

I was absolutely failing at playing 2033 on ranger for the first time ever (I did play last light on ps3 a little but it sucked rear end). Then I started to roleplay as the main character from the 1979 movie "Stalker". A complete wretched coward with situational awareness and survival coming first.

I'm now kicking the game's rear end. Seriously this series is awesome if you play it right. 2033 really does make me feel like just any other guy in the metro going on a valiant mission alone. From what I played of Last Light I felt more like I was playing as Khan than a wretched coward.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean but if its similar to how I feel about 2033 Ranger vs LL, at least at a very basic level, 2033 was balanced around killing your way through, silently for the most part, whereas LL balanced around letting you play in several ways. I played the original 2033 and did the whole throwing knife/silenced gun thing and to this day I think it worked really well but when I came back to 2033 Redux after playing Last Light I tried going non-lethally and... the game just doesn't work for it. The general design of the various areas, plus the number of enemies, and the filter time it takes some of the outside areas to do with the knockout punch or outright avoiding enemies, simply doesn't really mesh well together in my experience. Plus there seem to be several areas where the AI will always be on alert, either because it seems the game expected you to be discovered or because of monsters (such as the area with all the wrecked cars just before Black Station where the Demon will fight the Nazi's... which will cause them to know where you are).

As soon as I switched back to throwing knives and silenced weapons, 2033 Redux felt good again.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
They managed to get the atmosphere down pat but sometimes it just lapses so hard... I beat 2033 for the first time yesterday and when we're wandering through D6 and Miller comments about how it's built in the Soviet spirit, my immediate reaction is "Yeah, so it fell apart after five years because they built it out of cheapest materials and the builders nicked half of those to black market them off. The missiles are totally going to be duds."

e: That being said, the references to the USSR as something good make me pretty drat uncomfortable and I'm hoping they quit it in LL.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 7, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

anilEhilated posted:

They managed to get the atmosphere down pat but sometimes it just lapses so hard... I beat 2033 for the first time yesterday and when we're wandering through D6 and Miller comments about how it's built in the Soviet spirit, my immediate reaction is "Yeah, so it fell apart after five years because they built it out of cheapest materials and the builders nicked half of those to black market them off. The missiles are totally going to be duds."

e: That being said, the references to the USSR as something good make me pretty drat uncomfortable and I'm hoping they quit it in LL.

The thing about the games is that 2033 is an extremely thinly veiled critique of modern-day Russia (2034 not so much it kind of drops that) and that's almost entirely excised in favor of being actually fun to play.

It'd have been pretty great if the missiles hit and nothing happened though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Admittedly, I did find the whole "the vicious circle of violence needs to stop" thing a pretty weird point for a Russian game to make. Suddenly the Rangers being all gung-ho makes a lot more sense.
edit: Actually, now I seem to remeber that "Dark Ones" or black ones was supposed to be what Russians called immigrants from the southern bits of the USSR?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 7, 2015

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I do not find the game pushing RUSSIAN PRIDE at all.. In fact it seems more like the people only really know of the metro, so to speak.

I sortof see a parallel between USA PRIDE and USSR PRIDE, any superpower with nukes actually. Really in any situation you have nukes when you need them, how are you not going to bless whoever made them.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 8, 2015

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Metro 2033 The Book makes its criticisms a lot clearer. For example, you learn that the reason that people go to the Kremlin and never return, something that's alluded to in 2033 and Last Light but touched on in the game, is because there's a psychic carnivorous blob monster created by a chemical weapon attack that compels people, young people in particular, to jump into its flesh. Subtle!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
From a gameplay perspective it kind of sucks going back to 2033, but from a sort of roleplaying perspective it makes more sense. Artoym is still a wet behind the ears green horn, leaving his home station for the first time. LL Artyom is a lot more trained and skilled, so he's better at things and has more options. Also Last Light had a much bigger focus on nonlethally killing things, where as 2033 only had Khan saying "Hey, you don't have to kill everything."

Also I always felt Miller's comment about D6 is very Soviet and built with strong Soviet spirit or whatever was that sort of uncomplicated, durable as gently caress feeling.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kibayasu posted:

Metro 2033 The Book makes its criticisms a lot clearer. For example, you learn that the reason that people go to the Kremlin and never return, something that's alluded to in 2033 and Last Light but touched on in the game, is because there's a psychic carnivorous blob monster created by a chemical weapon attack that compels people, young people in particular, to jump into its flesh. Subtle!

Out of ammo to trade and covered in filth Artyom is rendered invisible and beneath the notice of the denizens of the capitalistic Hanza line, giving him safe passage.

Earlier he has to explain to a traveling companion his quest to exterminate the Dark Ones which horrifies the companion, a knowledgeable professor who doesn't care for neo-nazis, until he finally asks Artyom to clarify who exactly the tall, black, swift Dark Ones are when Artyom mentions their odd powers. Artyom is very confused how anyone could have mistaken what he was talking about. :haw:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 8, 2015

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

From a gameplay perspective it kind of sucks going back to 2033, but from a sort of roleplaying perspective it makes more sense. Artoym is still a wet behind the ears green horn, leaving his home station for the first time. LL Artyom is a lot more trained and skilled, so he's better at things and has more options. Also Last Light had a much bigger focus on nonlethally killing things, where as 2033 only had Khan saying "Hey, you don't have to kill everything."

Also I always felt Miller's comment about D6 is very Soviet and built with strong Soviet spirit or whatever was that sort of uncomplicated, durable as gently caress feeling.

Exactly. But better put. I prefer to think of 2033 as more of a role playing FPS much like Bioshock (WYK?) where the situations you're in and the ability you use to get through them are limited not so much by the player but the character himself the player is controlling.

Last Light Art is fuckin Khan, like I said. He's such a badass he can do whatever he wants. Well as much as being a badass, in a place that makes australia's outback look like a petting zoo for toddlers, can be.

Also I never got why in dry the door gets pounded on when no one saw me enter, I shot out all the lights and killed literally everyone I could find without raising the alarm. Even the guy getting ripped on whatever the gently caress they put in that hooka.

It couldn't be marijuana. Personally I think it's nautalus feces.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 10, 2015

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

anilEhilated posted:

Russian Male life expectancy chart by year.jpg

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
In the book Metro 2033 Khan refers to himself as a wolf and Artyom as a pup. In Last Light, Artyom is a wolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
So I got the Metro Redux bundle, and so far Metro 2033 seems to be... super linear and kind of boring? A couple hours in and I've basically done nothing but follow random dudes around and get ambushed by mutants, and the combat is pretty much just dodging mutants and shotgunning them. The atmosphere and world building are cool, but that's it...it seems like exactly the thing I'd like, but it kind of isn't working for me so far.

Is it worth sticking with or is it kind of just going to be more of the same? Is Last Light different enough that I should just quit 2033 and skip ahead to that? Or should I just go play Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat again?

• Locked thread