Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Metro 2033 was a brilliant game with tons of atmosphere and a great interface (or lack thereof), and it was great looking to boot. I'm super looking forward to this game, and it's even more exciting knowing that unlike the first time I played Metro 2033, I've got a rig that's considered "optimal." This is going to be a gorgeous experience at the very least, and an awesome story-based FPS like the original if they've spent all these years right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

havenwaters posted:

Everything enabled includes running it on a 120hz monitor for 3D stuff.

They straight up recommend a 690 for that as the only single card (technically) that can run it decently on 3D settings, remember that a single 690 is still a fair bit more powerful than a Titan, but honestly, if it's anything like the original, if you want to even bother playing it 3D with max settings, you'll need something obscene like two Titans.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

VarXX posted:

That means I'll need a Titan :smithicide:

I sincerely doubt this, you'd need more, the optimal system requirements are already higher than those of Crysis 3's, and the Titan is already not too hot on Crysis 3 maxed out (you get around 40-50FPS at best).
I'm assuming the 3D system reqs are referring to the way most games do, it's simply what kind of card you'd need to run it at about medium settings with 3D enabled. You'd need SLI Titans to likely get maxed settings on 3D (this is one of the few setups that runs the original Metro on 60+ frames with max settings and 3D.)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Xenomrph posted:

I also didn't realize that the guy who directed 'Stalker' (based on 'Roadside Picnic') also directed the Russian version of 'Solaris'. Small world, I guess. :shobon:

The guy who directed Stalker is one of the most influential filmmakers of his generation and is considered one of the best directors to have ever touched film.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Everything was working fine for me then all of a sudden the game froze and I repeatedly had an enemy screaming in my ears for a minute with the same two second clip until I managed to reboot.

I don't need this poo poo right now man.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sankis posted:

Unless you have a rather high end system, I think you're underestimating how demanding the highest graphical features of Metro 2033 are.

I turned off usage of one of my Titans to test the game out and what was a constant 60 FPS all of a sudden dipped down to something averaging between 40-50. So yeah, if it's stressing out a single thousand dollar graphics card on the highest settings, your expectations are definitely going to need to factor that in.

EDIT: Keep in mind that even the original Metro gives a Titan a workout with everything maxed.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

poptart_fairy posted:

So is it atmosphere and ambience driven, or a CoD in the metro? :ohdear:

The former.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

For those of you agonizing over the Russian voices, the acting really isn't much better than the English voices so if your only concern is higher quality, just stick with the English.

Underwhelmed posted:

Fallout and games like it, make you feel welcome in a hostile world. Games like Metro, and Stalker like to remind you how unwelcome you are.

Only F3 and NV do that, and F2 I guess if you're played the game a hundred times and rush to get a suit of PA within the first twenty minutes.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 15, 2013

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I've been using the Russian voices because it's harder to tell if the acting is bad.

I guess that makes sense actually.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It is kind of funny looking in a flower bed or something and just seeing a flat texture of some low res roses. It's kinda like somebody just went "eh" and decided to leave a jpeg printout of some GIS flowers inside the bowl instead of bothering to do any gardening that year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

keyframe posted:

Wow holy poo poo I was watching that GTX 780 video on the nvidia site and it shows physx in Metro LL. Normally not a fan of physx but it looks amazing there.

It's okay, I wish there was more of it, it's not very explicit in this game, compared to something like Mafia II where it's used to insane effect.
I have to say though, that once you start using PhysX, it's hard to play games without it, the added particle effects add so much to the experience.

Just look at this (especially look at the cloth physics): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONQfbGBtitY

Alice: Madness Returns, had some fantastic effects as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0UBtzKRUKI

ethanol posted:

It looks cool but I'm not sure it looks $650 worth of cool. I'm excited for when we get these physics on $300 cards. Hopefully, next generation?

You can get a cheap extra Nvidia card and pop it into an empty slot and have it be run as a dedicated PhysX card so it doesn't put extra load onto your current GPU or your CPU.
That's what I'm doing with my current setup while I'm playing Metro.

EDIT: Jesus, I forgot the best of them all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k1idbbr2pw

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 23, 2013

• Locked thread