Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Yes, after the spot to buy them you could only pick up Filters when you were under 5 minutes time left on all your filters no matter how much time each individual filter had left. So you had to scramble around with 5 minutes left on the clock occasionally picking up a filter to bring you back close to 5 minutes. I spent a lot of the library using the 30 second grace time where you would only gasp for a bit to save filter to get through that area.

Not to mention the fact that when you die and reload a save any filter time between the checkpoint and the time you died just disappeared so you could lose a couple minutes of filter time if you kept getting killed in a certain area.

There were some problems with the game that is for sure but it was one of the more interesting shooters I've played. And the the whole influenced by the same book/movie as the Stalker games puts it into a really interesting universe.

Sphrin fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Barring a few gripes like the Locked FOV, a lack of AMD drivers, and a desire for more freeish roam areas like the outside sections this is a drat good game.

Weed spoiler? :
And if you missed it between lap dances you can take puffs of a hooka to your left and watch Artyom trip out all over again like when climbing through the bandit station's crate pile in 2033.

Sphrin fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 15, 2013

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012

PureRok posted:

I'm reading through the first book right now and just finished that chapter. Khan is so much more interesting in the book than he is in the game. Actually, they almost seem like completely different characters from what I've seen of him in the book so far.

Yeah, only time Game Kahn seems close to the one from the book is when he prays you through the ghosts.

And I would like more info on the DLC but god drat 4A are good at making games so I'll probably throw money at them anyway.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, Ranger reduces your guns and ammo and reduces everyone's health so that everything takes less shots to kill. I'd say that Ranger Easy is the best balance between Immersion and not being pissed off by invisible QTE's and not knowing which secondary you have equipped.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
It wouldn't have to be fully open world but being able to be one of the Stalkers for a line of stations would be pretty cool, By day scavenge through the topside for all sorts of resources and by night you can defend the station, travel to a different station, or just blow all your hard earned cash at the titty bar.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Deep+Si...Light&cp=1&lp=1

Last light for 1 Cent from best buy.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
I can't remember exactly but I believe that that tank suffers from red glowing parts and you should have the railgun/volt gun thing to shoot them with.

Anyone else getting really excited to replay 2033 with the LL engine? Being able to explore the world without having to fight the mechanics of the game as well as the enemies sounds like fun.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, 2033 isn't bad but its very rough around the edges but when you consider it was 4A Games first game and all the poo poo they had to put up with being from the ukraine its a wonder they we're able to produce such an amazing game. But Last Light's mechanics are quite a bit better so I would recommend Redux for 2033 at least, but probably not Last Light because the improvements are a bit less noticable unless you don't have the original game.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/05/15/4a-games-working-conditions/

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

So Last Light is 4.99 on steam right now. Ranger DLC is also on sale. I can't really see too much of what I missing if I get Last Light regular version rather than the Redux. Seems like it is just some graphical upgrades and bonus DLC. Am I basically right?

Yeah, very minor differences between LL and its Redux version basically just a few new animations, ability to check watch and ammo, and 2 new modes to add extra difficulty. If not for the sale I would say go for redux but $5 is hard to beat.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
I'm not sure exactly how it works this time but I've had a armored dude get staggered and go alert when a knife hit him but the 2nd one put him down. So they are still crazy powerful but not just auto kill like LL.

Finally decided to play Ranger Hardcore, and while its been fun the loving Demons are really god drat huge bullet sponges and its weird actually fearing going outside with them around.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Just finished and while they didn't add too much to the game just the fact that you can play it without some of the issues the game had is pretty drat amazing. Best part is the Ball spawners in D6 got changed so its possible to finish that area without having 200+ rounds of MGR.

But yeah even having played through the original twice Ranger Hardcore kicked my rear end, had plenty of filter time but god drat I had about half a mag of MGR and 2 shells in the auto shotgun. Thank god I knew how to deal with the Librarians this time otherwise I never would have made it.

Feels like I need to do another run through though, spartan non ranger mode and stick with a silly loadout like the revolver/bastard/volt.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
No, D6 is a lot easier, the spawners in the vanilla game kept pooping dudes out till you killed them and they took half a mag of MGR to take them out. Now they just drop 1 dude and you can kill them with 1 round so the difficulty level dropped a ton.

And the reasons some folks find it hard to get the good ending in LL is they miss all the morale points you get from just listening to each conversation and exploring every nook and cranny. If you do that its fairly easy to get the good ending even being a murder machine.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
It seems more like Artyom just has fewer side effects, all the times where everyone is caught in an anomaly he's the one capable of continuing to function or the first to recover. You could give quite a few reasons for that to occur as well.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, the trick with the librarians is if you end up close enough that they start their roar/chest beating take a step or two backwards that will reduce their aggression a bit. But yeah with the darker ones later in the library are a lot more aggressive and they will still head butt you so basically use the stare to just slow them down to give yourself time to get to a safe place.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
I think we discussed this earlier in the thread but they did get good voice actors, its just the ones that speak Russian not the ones doing the English VO. If you don't mind walking very slowly through stations and not understanding some of the random background speech running with Russian with Subs is a much better experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, restart for the car was either space or shift but it sounds like the game might have been seeing your controller as the primary imput.

• Locked thread