Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Zaodai posted:

Are there any signs of whether Last Light is going to be a bit more polished and smooth than its predecessor? I have to admit despite my issues with the last one, Last Light still intrigues me. :downs:

"More polished and smooth" seems to be the consistent message. At least, that's what a lot of the interviews have emphasized. I'm looking forward to it, though I'm worried that Ranger mode might not get as much love as just a preorder bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Scyron posted:

I have to say, I read 2033's book after playing the game and I was rather disappointed in it. I don't know if the game blew me away that much or the book was such a different approach/theme with life in the metro.

It was the same way for me. I think it's a combination of those two. The book makes you feel a huge lack of agency (much more so than a normal book would just by being linear). Unexpected things do happen in the game, but the book is just chapter after chapter of "he's captured and prisoner," "the tunnel is eating him," "now he's shoveling poo poo for a week," "Artyom really should be dead by now," "...and he was the only survivor, again." Emphasizing a lack of agency is a really good and valid way of building a bleak atmosphere... but the game built an equal or superior Metro and preserved player agency throughout the game. (Even through all those "and then you fall through loose floorboards" cutscenes.)

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

hopterque posted:

Also from what I've read of it the english translation of the first book is really bad, so some of the impact might be lost.

That... makes a lot of sense. I genuinely could not understand some stuff about... should I spoiler the book? Some stuff about a large hidden tribe somewhere of cannibals that all accessed the main tunnels through a single small duct in the roof of something and had thousands of darts of an instantly killing neurotoxin? And they worshipped a worm? And all of them ate by stealing a person every few weeks? I pretty much lost all awareness of where the characters were and why and how.

On a different note, I just watched the Ranger Survival Guide videos. There are spiders now :ohdear:

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

404notfound posted:

How do you enable ranger mode?

Is it also just telling you to buy the DLC that isn't there?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Are you limited to two weapons on Ranger mode? I keep trying to pick up a third and it won't let me.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

I like the dynamic soundtrack. You sometimes hear sharp strings that correspond with your stealth (narrow escapes, taking out three bandits in a row right before discovery), and it's definitely enough to make things a lot more tense without the chords constantly popping up or becoming annoying. I don't know how they tuned that, but it is a well-tuned thing.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

I'm liking a lot of the small conversations you hear.

Apparently there are still people alive in St. Petersburg, and there's a nuclear power plant somewhere in Russia, manned, and under siege by barbarians.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Hold on, I got the bad ending?

I, uh, I don't know what do to to please you, Metro.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Calax posted:

Not sure how spoilertastic that is. It regards the ending of the book and why Last Light couldn't be 2034 in terms of adaptation.

You might've seen advertisements for Metro 2035 while playing. (Mood-appropriate window dressing, I guess, but also advertisement for a book that nobody will be able to buy in English for two years...)

Metro 2035 is due later this year and is apparently going to be telling the same story as Last Light, but longer and denser.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I beat the game on Ranger Normal, and I never did figure out where you could buy filters.

I don't think that you can buy filters. Same difficulty and I couldn't either, at least.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Zaodai posted:

That's what I meant by full sprint speed. Even at max speed, it just bounces off.

Have you gone through the side area and y'know, de-bandit-ed it?

It might only let you break through after receiving the objective.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

KaneTW posted:

The part before you get on the fisherman's boat was awful.

I ended up finishing it on the opposite side, above the bell that you ring, because otherwise I couldn't make it to the boat before dying.

Also: Upgraded Tihar is the best gun.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

your evil twin posted:

I know Ranger mode is described as "the way it is supposed to be played", but I'm concerned that having gunfights with human NPCs will be suicide and instead you are supposed to sneak around and avoid them or stealth kill them all.

You can have gunfights, and they're fun, but I wouldn't play Ranger Mode your first time through simply because it isn't nearly as well-implemented as it was in 2033. I get the impression that they playtested it themselves, because it equates "having no information" with being immersive. I.E., you can't check how much regular ammo you have outside of friendly stations (even if you're under no pressure), and on Hardcore you can't see which secondary (throwable) weapon you're equipping. They also limit you to two weapons (even if one is a sidearm), which feels arbitrary after 2033.

**I agree with Ranger Easy being a good compromise. Pretty sure it's the same as Hardcore but with the ability to actually see weapon selections and cutscene QTEs, and it worked for me my first time through. The lower ammo capacity and higher lethality are still worth it.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 24, 2013

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Ayn Marx posted:

Would you guys recommend this game to someone who loved 2033's atmosphere but thought the gameplay pretty mediocre and was annoyed by poo poo like gas masks and ammo scarcity ?

Shooting and stealth-wise, the gameplay is significantly better (though a bit easier). Gas Masks and ammo scarcity are sorta core to it, but don't play on Ranger and you should be fine.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Anybody who's gotten the season pass- where does the shotgun show up? I started a new playthrough before buying it, and I think I need to start over.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Samfucius posted:

triple edit last one I promise: I watched this video so many times that when I actually played the game, escaping from the Reich was constantly subtly confusing me for reasons I couldn't explain. It wasn't until I re-watched this video that I realized it was because I was so used to seeing Khan as the other guy escaping that having Pavel do all the Khan poo poo was wigging me out subconsciously.

I just noticed that, too! Pavel was good throughout that segment, but Khan makes everything better. I really liked his character design in Last Light.

Samfucius posted:

It is a traditional Russian lullaby, and in true Russian form is dark as hell. It is basically telling your baby/small child that if they sleep too close to the edge of the bed, a wolf will bite their stomach and drag them off into the woods.

That's... really haunting. I like that it works for the game (Artyom and the dark ones) and within the trailer itself (the baby being taken down into the Metro).

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

The game's already out, but, uh, new trailer! It makes me want to play the game again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2djDE_kwH3Q

quote:

The Mobius was created by Alexander Bereznyak, aka Monakh, who was originally employed by 4A as a capture artist. Soon it turned out that his talent was needed in the production team and he took over the role as lead technical artist. But over a couple of months, he continued to work alone on this trailer, that is now made public.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

ultimateforce posted:

I am in the catacombs and I literally have zero ammo and I am so pissed off right now.

If it helps, you can stealth past a lot of the enemies and use throwing knives on the ones near stashes / corpses. It gets you a bit of ammo, and there are at least a few guns lying around that can fire Military-Grade rounds.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Isn't the Abzats is what you get from buying the Season pass? You can get it in D6, and you can pick it up from: the Depot and Quarantine vendors, and for free somewhere in the Dead City level. Pretty sure it shows up in all modes.

Stuntman posted:

Does the game force the 100 military rounds on you if you buy the Ranger pack? I'm considering picking up this game, but only if I don't have to deal with contradictory (BUY THIS MODE THAT MAKES THE GAME HARDER! also you get a bunch of bullets at the start to make the game easier if you do) bullshit.

I justified it as "about how much ammo I had left at the end of 2033."

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

PureRok posted:

I think part of the problem is there isn't really anything worth buying. You get everything you need from scavenging, more-or-less. If we were a 'normal' citizen I bet keeping so much ammo would be difficult. It's not like we have a family, house, or have to buy food. That's one way to rationalize having so much.

Pretty much my only problem with Survarium is that I keep wishing it would be a Metro game.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Unbound posted:

Picked this game up recently. Managed to get a good five or six levels in before getting that dreaded frame drop. The games great and I've been thinking about getting the season pass. Has anyone played the Faction pack/is it worth it? Same question for the ranger pack to, though reading this thread tells me yes.

Ranger mode isn't as well done as in the first game (in Last Light, it limits you to two weapons for no reason, and on Ranger Hardcore the devs mistook "minimal hud" for "giving you literally no information"), but in terms of combat and ammo scarcity I still consider it the best way to go. Play it on Ranger Easy if you plan on restarting to complete a first playthrough with it- it gives you slightly more to work with. Hell, play it on Ranger Easy if you plan to do Ranger on a second playthrough, the sheer lack of information on Hardcore is more distracting than immersive.

The faction pack is maybe 2 hours (the bulk of which is the Library mission), but worth it. I recommend the season pass if you want more after finishing the main game.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Does the new ammo in the Polis mission replace the normal ammo? As in, are there normal shells/magnum rounds, or only burny ones?
Only burny ones. If you look at the tooltip screen enough times it says something like "be sure to try out our shiny new ammo!"

RBA Starblade posted:

The Polis level is terrifying. :gonk:

It's kind of funny how the one librarian will try and fake you out, though. And I love how you'll encounter other rangers every now and again.

You mean in the Documents room at the end? That really was the best kind of jump scare. The start was totally scripted, but the rest was terrifying, and without any loss of control. I don't think I've had one as good as that since Bioshock Infinite.

Running into the other two rangers was great, especially when one of them played piano.

Also, the Polis mission made me realize how small the Library level actually was in 2033. I have memories of it being a massive, sprawling maze, but it's pretty compact. Devs reeeeeally got good at minimizing memory usage this generation.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Leb posted:

Well, if you really hated the Reich mission in the first DLC pack, you're sure to hate this entire DLC!

They kept talking in interviews about how they wanted to give the player environments in which they could let loose with weapons without worrying about a Good Ending, but the minigun just isn't fun and the shooting gameplay works best as part of the whole game :(

At least this one isn't a shooting gallery?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Leb posted:

I will mention that if you're playing on Ranger mode in M:LL, the inability to check your currently selected consumable, the number of filters you have and the amount of ammunition you have is really annoying and I'm approximately 1-2% annoyed that they're charging you $12.50 for that functionality in LL:R. :unsmith:

I'm gonna go ahead and assume until I see otherwise that "check watch and ammo" doesn't even include filter numbers/consumable selection.

(In retrospect, I feel that LL's ranger mode was a bit anemic, especially as paid DLC.)

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Azran posted:

Since they are also moving from Ukraine to Malta due to obvious reasons, that's even more of a reason for me.

Woah, that makes sense, but I hadn't known that it was actually a thing.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Okay, UI in the different Redux modes:

Normal lets you see everything when you hold Tab: (I think you select consumables with the mouse, weapons are still 1/2/3).

Normal also gives you a display in the corner showing how many rounds you have left in your magazine. This only pops up when you reload, there's no HUD the rest of the time.

Ranger lets you see your consumables (and which one you've had selected), medkits, and gas mask time remaining when you hold down Tab. When you do this, it also shows how many MGR you have left in the top-right.

Both Ranger and Ranger Hardcore let you bring up your journal (and right click to bring it into focus) to see how much of everything (different ammo types included) you have available.

But Ranger Hardcore doesn't have the little hand thingy showing what you can actually interact with, and holding down Tab doesn't let you see anything, so you still have to go by the sound when you're trying to select a grenade. These two things make me not recommend it.

I recommend Survival/Ranger right now, especially since the game doesn't actually say how Ranger Hardcore makes the game "harder" beyond removing more UI than I think is necessary. (It claims to make things harder "in every way" but but combat is already lethal, so....?)

I'll look past the first five minutes to see whether Ranger lets you have more than two weapons, and how the combat is.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 27, 2014

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Okay, never mind, you still only get two weapons on Ranger, even if one of them's a sidearm. Does this seem like a moddable thing?

I mean, c'mon, it was in the original game and even the first Ranger they show has two weapons on their back and a holster.

**Okay, never mind my last post, I recommend Survival Hardcore. It's exactly what Ranger mode was in 2033 (deadly combat, few resources), and there's still no visible UI most of the time. The only additions are that the amount of ammo you have left shows up when you reload, a "you can pick this up" icon is visible when you hover over ammo and gas masks, and you get the entire inventory through Tab. Survival Hardcore's combat is just as difficult as Ranger Hardcore, too.

Ranger mode is basically no-UI mode now, and you get your chosen combination of lethal combat and resource scarcity through the other options, so I'm fine with that. Now I can start posting about how much I like having Last Light's gunplay, the weapon modding system, the massively improved performance, the additional areas, the better cutscenes and okay I'm really looking forward to this playthrough now.

***THEY GOT A DIFFERENT CHILD VOICE ACTOR AND HE'S A GOOD ONE. It's the kid in Riga, might be others as well. His lines are better too. I'm seeing a lot of small improvements. I don't want to punch every child in this game now, this is worth it.

****If I had to compare it to anything, I'd say it's like the Enhanced Edition of either Witcher game, but on steroids. Definitely play this version if you just started the original 2033 or were trying to choose between them. I'm still only at Bourbon, though, so I reserve the right to take this back later.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 27, 2014

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

your evil twin posted:

It sounds like Survival Hardcore's enemy toughness and ammo scarcity is the same as the original game's Ranger mode. Which I don't want. I like having to scavenge for stuff, but I don't want to go searching secret areas to find one solitary bullet. I also like to be able to have the occasional guns-blazing firefight. (And enemies have no hesitation in blasting away full-auto at the player, so it's clear there isn't supposed to be a massive ammo shortage causing people to only have a couple of bullets.)

Does this mean that "Survival Normal" is like the original game's non-ranger Hardcore mode? With "Spartan Normal" and "Spartan Hardcore" being more like original easy and normal?

Now that I've had more time to play with it, Survival Hardcore actually has a ton of ammo, not nearly the same scarcity as in 2033 original. You wouldn't have any problems with it.

...I'm kind of wondering what Spartan mode feels like. I really wish they just let you pick and choose all the different parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

So, did anyone ever figure out if it's possible to kill Lesnitsky and still get the good ending? I mean, he stole a bioweapon that was used to kill 100+ people, was willing to be complicit in the murder of 25,000+ more, and felt zero remorse. If you don't kill him, it is guaranteed he will get back up and continue attempting to do these things. Yet somehow, sparing him is supposed to teach redemption? Or something?

Sparing Pavel made perfect sense to me as a huge example you teach to the young dark one, but letting the unrepentant mass murderer go because "killing is bad" makes a bit less sense. Yet as far as I can tell, that single decision can force you to get the bad ending.

• Locked thread