Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I've been playing through the original one, and I'm sure as hell picking Last Light up.

Xander77 posted:

Did anyone read some of the novels in the expanded Metro universe / knows of a decent resource which tallies up which ones are worth reading?

While we are in this topic - how's the English translation of the books? I would love to learn russian, but there's no one in my city that teaches it, so it's either Spanish or English for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

The lady in the Developer Pack DLC. :stare:

I didn't know that 2033 Redux will get all the LL weapons.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

So Last Light is 4.99 on steam right now. Ranger DLC is also on sale. I can't really see too much of what I missing if I get Last Light regular version rather than the Redux. Seems like it is just some graphical upgrades and bonus DLC. Am I basically right?

Not even that. There is a new game mode that is more survival horror and full body animations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

While the improvements are certainly minor (like having all the stuff in the campaign), I liked these games enough that I just see M:LL Redux as an excuse to give them more money. Since they are also moving from Ukraine to Malta due to obvious reasons, that's even more of a reason for me.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Uhlman's was terrible. Are the voices in Russian better?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

So, I just noticed I never, ever used MGR as actual ammo during either of my Metro playthroughs. How effective are they in comparison to normal rounds? I'm watching Komodo Saurian's "kill everything run" and he's one shotting bandits in 2033 with MGR in Ranger mode :stare:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

It may have moved the save folder location.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Playing on Spartan, and the first ammo pick up in the prologue are 56 rifle rounds. :v: Ammo is hella plentiful so far, but we will see further down the line.

Edit: First dead guy outside the first Bandit encounter ever had ammo on him - 17 rifle rounds and 4 revolver rounds.

Azran fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 27, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/08/27/metro-2033-redux-day-one-patch-adds-volumetric-lighting-to-some-scenes/

So hey, look at this. Volumetric lightning sure makes a difference.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Shannow posted:

Nope, the building you go into after, with the lift shaft and the offices.

You already got the key from the corpse outside the building, right? Language fails me, but just outside the window through which you get into the building (if we're talking about the same one at all), there's a corpse down a flight of stairs just in front of it. He has the key.

Pwnstar posted:

I found a key in Market, where's the safe for it?

Go to the rightmost side of the station, IIRC. There's a lot of bunk beds with people sleeping on them, inside a train wagon. The box is on top of one of the beds, I think. It's in there and it's not hidden anyways.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

They rolled up Child and Defense into one chapter, and holy poo poo did they make it easier now. It doesn't feel like the kid hampers your mobility much at all.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

The Bigun is an excellent replacement for the Shambler. I suppose the AKSU appears in Ranger mode?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Holy poo poo, there are spiders in 2033. :gonk:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yup. I meant THOSE spiders, not the little ones. Let's just say there are no more plated nosalises. :v:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

IIRC Bourbon still aims towards the horizon when trying to kill a Nosalis. Compare it to Khan who just destroys a Nosalis horde by himself.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I exchanged my Kalash 2012 for a Revolver with stock for the approach to D6, and I was surprised at how effective it was. Also, it seems the amoeba bit is easier now.

Once I hit the spot where the Plated Nosalis used to be, I missed my flamethrower. :catstare: What a great game, I had never finished the original.
Is it just me or the only way to change difficulty once a playthrough has started is to redo the entire campaign from the start?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

You can also buy filters in pretty much every station now. And the ones in the open last longer.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Wow, the Amoeba section of D6 is so much better this time around. Each spawner only drops a single amoeba, which die from a single Volt Driver shot on Hardcore or a few military rounds. So if you were dreading the D6 level because of that loving area, don't worry about it.

Not such a fan of them adding in the spider monsters from Last Light in one area, though, mostly because I always seem to get surrounded.

Overall I'm really impressed with what they did with 2033 Redux, it just feels so much more polished than the original version.

They die from a single Volt Driver shot even in Spartan Normal. Also Miller got like by like 4-5 at the same time and he was fine. Also I used the machine gun in Trolley Combat to kill the single guy before the station, and it didn't alert the rest - didn't you use to need a silenced weapon for that?

Were there keys and lockboxes in the original one?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I was playing Spartan Normal and I killed the first two. Man those guys really do endure a beating. I sneaked past the others.

Also went into the developer map to test weapon damage on Ranger. It seems one throwing knife is enough for a watchmen and two for a Nosalis. Killing mutants is also kinda hard if you try to do it with your knife!
Lastly, 5.45mm are just terrible if they are not MGR goddamn. Especially against mutants.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah I should have clarified that my assault rifle worries come from mutants. Nosalises always give me a shitload of problems. My only non enviromental deaths in LL are from both of the Nosalis horde defenses. While the Tower DLC always kicks my rear end as soon as they spawn.

The beginning of Kshatriya is also annoying if you get two nosalis pack spawn while you are stuck with your Ashot since I only get consistent kills on a headshot while they lunge.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

So my computer just had a small stutter during the last second of the Metro 2033 Redux intro, and that's how I learned that the guy in the main menu is Miller. :v:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Wait, is there a Hellsing on Kshatriya?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

*The Reich one is a glorified turret section with a buggy end boss.
*The Red Line one is a stealth sniper section which I haven't been able to complete due to being detected constantly. :argh:
*Kshatriya is amazing.
*Pavel is a stealth/action segment which I personally enjoyed a lot. The QTE at the beginning will make you fail it the first time though, since it is not really obvious what you have to do.
*Khan is relatively short but provides some information about his past. I liked it.
*Anna has a sniping segment, followed by combat/stealth. It's basically the Ashes chapter seen through Anna's eyes. I enjoyed it.
*Tower is a really challenging combat simulator.
*Developer Pack is the place where you can gently caress around with all the weapons. I wish the Arena had more variety though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

You are expected to buy the Redux edition right now. You can still get it through trading sites like dispenser.tf, Dotalounge, etc, but normally for retail prices. :(

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Did you pick Spartan or Survival mode? Survival mode makes it so the shooting is clunkier, while Spartan makes it slick as Last Light, as far as I know.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I hate nosalis. They are supposed to be mutant fodder but holy poo poo, the hardest and unnerving bits from both games have always been the levels where you face them in groups. Cursed chief amongst them, with the two static defence bits in LL as close challengers.

I can deal with spiders and lurkers and librarians but gently caress nosalis.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Kshatriya was so good.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah I do not think you can buy non-Redux dlc anymore. Is the original Metro even up for sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Go play the Kshatriya DLC in Metro Last Light, it's basically STALKER-lite. You have to recover artifacts in a small apartment complex and you go around unlocking shortcuts and doing some intense resource management, it's great.

• Locked thread