Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I pre-ordered for the PC and am looking forward to this game. After playing all the Stalkers I found I like the style of these Russian-oriented FPS games, though I have not played the first Metro.

How many hours of gameplay do you figure is in M:LL? What I liked a lot about Stalker was all the exploring and side-quests, and I felt like I didn't have to rush through the game.

Based on the recommended spec's I hope my Radeon 5850 can handle it. If not then I'll consider upgrading my card and CPU, as I've been looking for reason anyway to upgrade to a new rig, mainly so I can get an SSD going with Windows 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Leb posted:

Just a heads-up, the 360 version has entered circulation; consequently, spoilers abound on youtube.

Also, information on PC performance may be found here:

So if I'm reading that article's performance info correctly, as I don't know German, they are using some 3-year old AMD CPU that's equivalent to the Intel i5-750. But they are using a newer graphics card, the Nvidia GTX 670 (not SLI mode).

So if the game runs an average of 48fps at the initial High Quality mode, that is probably twice as fast as my old Radeon 5850 card (and my cpu is an Intel i5-750).

Here's a Tom's Hardware guide performance chart for Metro 2033 at 1080p resolution, but in medium mode, if one wants to compare graphic cards performance with the older Metro game engine. I assume relative performance will be similar with the Last Light engine, though probably a little faster for all cards:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/04-Metro-2033-DirectX-11-B-Performance,2941.html

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

-Troika- posted:

You can also get it for free if you buy certian Nvidia cards on Newegg.
Thanks for that info. Based on the PC specifications I may need a new video card anyway. Might as well get the card and game at the same time. Let me see which cards qualify...

EDIT: Scratch that: I read some people are having problems with Nvidia 670's and audio for the HDMI output (I run HDMI from the PC to a receiver, and then to a projector: sound has to come from the receiver):

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/526949/geforce-600-series/gtx-670-no-hdmi-audio-option/

I'm going to research this a little more before picking up a new Nvidia card.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 4, 2013

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

I had a few questions before I get the game installed:

1) Should I go ahead and play Metro 2033 first? I liked the Stalker series, so perhaps playing the first Metro is a good warm-up?

Or is it a better use of time to jump into M:LL?

2) Can M:LL be modded with simple changes? For example, if I find aspects of Ranger Hardcore too annoying, would I be able to adjust settings within the *.ini files or config files to change some features?

3) If I select Russian speech in M:LL, can I enable English subtitles? I liked the English subtitle feature in the Stalker series, though I think I had to mod that feature in (or download the russian voice-pack, can't recall).

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 15, 2013

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

I had a Metro 2033 question, since I could find the original thread on the game here. Perhaps this same question applies to Metro: Last Light.

What's the ideal difficulty to play Metro 2033 at? I was thinking either Hardcore or Ranger Easy, as I want to see the HUD.

The trade-off seems between two gameplay risks: in Hardcore, running into an enemy that is too tough to kill in a reasonable fashion (i.e. big bullet sink), or with Ranger Easy, getting killed quickly by being caught-off guard due to the increased enemy damage.

I'm using this page for the difficulty reference:
http://metrovideogame.wikia.com/wiki/Difficulties

When I played the STALKER series I liked being pack-rat and accumulating a lot of stuff, though I know the gameplay is different in the Metro series.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Should I go ahead and buy Metro Redux if I have only gotten a short way into Metro:2033? I started playing the original Metro 2033 earlier this year, got as far as the big underground bridge, then stopped in order to play some different games.

I'll probably just play Metro:2033 one time through, so if Metro Redux offered a better version of 2033 than the original then I considered perhaps I should start over with Metro Redux. I watched a short youtube video of a guy comparing some differences in the original 2033 and the Redux version, such as having ice cover some levels and some differences in some of the mutant encounters. But I don't know if his video was comprehensive, as it just covered two outdoor building areas.

Here's the short video I watched with the comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu3DEee3mdw

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Leb posted:

From what I've seen, it looks like 2033:R has:

code:
+    all weapons/attachments from M:LL
+    updated character models
+    global illumination tech
-    far fewer instances of volumetric fog and lights
+    better textures
+    terrain tessellation
+/-  gameplay mechanics from M:LL
+/-  first person cinematics
+/-  cheaper DoF implementation
If you're on PC and you already own 2033, you can grab 2033:R for only $12.50 on Steam. I'd say unless you're a purist, you'd probably be well suited with 2033:R.

Sphrin posted:

Yeah, 2033 isn't bad but its very rough around the edges but when you consider it was 4A Games first game and all the poo poo they had to put up with being from the ukraine its a wonder they we're able to produce such an amazing game. But Last Light's mechanics are quite a bit better so I would recommend Redux for 2033 at least, but probably not Last Light because the improvements are a bit less noticable unless you don't have the original game.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/05/15/4a-games-working-conditions/
Ok, you both convinced me to buy Redux, thanks for the info. I'm not that much of a purist but I do prefer a more polished (stated with extra :wotwot::wotwot::wotwot:) gameplay experience , much like how mod-makers added gameplay value to the STALKER series (e.g., STALKER Complete).

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Geez, just got through the Metro 2033: Redux Trolley Wars level: my god that was a test of patience, and, perhaps a reveal of my lack of perception:

* While in the trolley turret, in that one segment with fighting the troops at the station that appears to your left with the abandoned railcar, I could not see _any_ of the enemies to shoot at. And I have a really large monitor so I was puzzled why I couldn't make a bead on the enemies. The goofy turret controls were not helping, either. I saw their bullet tracers and a few armored nazi troops running up close but only when they happened to be running through my gunsight. After reloading the checkpoint a few times I was just spraying and praying until I finally got through that segment.

Would nightvision goggles have helped there? I forgot to pick them up before starting the map :rubshands:

* Later when I encountered the kid, I didn't realize he had hopped up on my back: I thought he had ran out of the room and back to the tunnel, like a lot of other NPCs have done before (i.e. they run up to their next scripted location), and then I thought a bug was making my mouse move funny since the mouse started lagging after the kid "ran off". To attempt to correct the mouse issue I shut down and restarted the game, but I noticed the same problem with the mouse. So I continued to play from where I left off to hope the problem would correct itself.

Once I got out to the tunnel and heard the kid talking while close-by I thought another bug made him invisible, until I saw my shadow indicated that I had two heads. :downsgun:

To get out of the level with the kid from that point was getting impossible for me, since the Lurkers were attacking so quickly that I was down to no health kits and getting murdered. I have been playing on Hardcore skill which appears to make Lurkers very dangerous when they attack.

I finally said "the hell with it" and just sprinted with the kid on my back down thru the tunnels just following all the lit-up paths and was able to reach the exit vent with the sunlight streaming through the big fan, which I accomplished, proudly, on my first attempt.
:smug: I suppose now that if you are already moving that makes it tough for the Lurkers to home in to attack.

So far this game feels like a combination of elements of STALKER and, due to the clumsily-scripted events, Call of Duty (my apologies). But still enjoying it. I already bought Last Light Redux so look forward to that title next.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I don't know how 2033 redux is, but comparing the original version, last light has better gameplay in general.

I personally prefer 2033 for stylistic reasons and a few elements of its gameplay, but it is definitely a headache more often than last light. Both the dumb trolley level and the part with the kid are some of the most obnoxious parts.
Thanks, that's good to hear. I forgot to ask if 2033 had any more obnoxious levels upcoming like Trolley Wars and you answered my question.

2033 Redux has a number of changes, in which the Gamefaq-link below points a lot of them out. I only partially played the first 2033 and put it aside, then once the 2033 Redux came out I just started a new game from there.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/935068-metro-2033/faqs/59427

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 22, 2015

• Locked thread