Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Really looking forward to unlocking this tonight, and then probably actually playing it tomorrow.

Wanderer posted:

My review went live an hour ago, so I guess I can go ahead and talk about this now.

I'm looking forward to the audience reaction to the inclusion of the lap dance in the Venice station. That took me completely by surprise. "Huh, I can interact with this girl. I wonder what--" :stare:

Based on the first game I am betting it involves Artyom losing all his money somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Esroc posted:

Artyom is loving inept. You can't take two steps without tripping, getting a rifle butt upside the head, or bear-hugged by a mutant. I feel like I spend more time getting dragged to safety by NPC's than I do fighting.

This is some modern game design bullshit. See also: Nathan Drake, Lara Croft

Dogen
May 5, 2002

KaneTW posted:

I wish I had the Saiga with extended mag for that section. Duplet reload time is the worst.

Yeah I had to go short bursts of RPK there, kept getting hit while reloading the duplet. Had found the quad barrel, but the volume there is such that you can't keep up without getting hit.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Leb posted:

The quartet would be a more useful gun if you could fire each barrel individually. As it is, you mostly end up wasting an extra shell each time you fire.

Yeah this is really what I was hoping for when I picked it up, and was very disappointed to discover this was not the case.

Because honestly, what am I going to shoot 4 shells into at the same time?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I like to think the refugees turned the tables on the unconscious aggressors that I leave behind.

"For liability purposes, it is the ocean refugees that will kill you, not us."

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I've been super busy lately so I still haven't finished, and in my brief play session this morning I thought I was going to get to fight the bear I've been hearing so much about. My objective dealie says warn Polis about the attack on D6 and I'm wandering around above-ground. Got to a part with some kinda gate, and a ditch you can fall in filled with water. I've poked around in that vicinity and can't seem to find the path through, anyone know what I'm talking about?

At least I had fun running around and scavenging, this game is so gorgeous.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

First, the obvious: are you using a shotgun? If not, use a shotgun. There's a four-barreled shotty on the upper level that'll work out great for the section.

I disagree, I got killed a couple times with quad shotty and ended up going RPK just because I could space out my reloads to a time where I wasn't being overwhelmed.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Checking in with another first run bad end. Now for ranger mode and following a moral point guide using the in-game browser for good end!

I don't think I enjoyed it as much as the first one, but maybe I have a case of rose-tinted glasses going on?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Playing ranger normal. poo poo, why did I play the game on regular first? That first wave of nosalis you have to gun down with the help of the sniper, none of them even got near me, as compared to taking some hits the last time through on normal.

Also- I miss the suits! I wonder why they took those out? Perhaps because the stealth one is no longer necessary, really? I also find I don't have to use the flashlight/NVG nearly as much as I did in the first game.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Damegane posted:

Probably because Artyom is now a proper member of the Rangers and thus gets access to nice military gear as well.

I felt like it added a little dimension of fun to the first one I guess is all :(

Now I suppose you change a couple times for story reasons and it wouldn't make sense to have something different on.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Sometimes I wish I knew how many bullets I had, but frankly the fact that they can actually kill mutants makes me feel like I use a lot less of them anyway (humans were never much a problem on my normal playthrough).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Dimo ArKacho posted:

I tend to line them up with my iron sights when I'm throwing over any significant distance.

I really wish there was a way to check ammo in ranger mode. I seem to remember talk about pulling out the clip and looking at the remaining bullets, but that doesn't seem to be an actual thing.

You could do this in 2033 I am almost positive, and I don't know why they took it out. Unless I hallucinated that.

I used a tricked out Lolife in the bandit camp this time around and it was hilarious. Also, not overly impressed with the shotty machine gun, looking forward to picking up the SAIGA soon. The RPK is much more usable in ranger mode, I actually one shot some nosalises.

Also I find throwing knives pretty easy since it matters so little where you hit. Mostly I use them on nosalises anyway.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

fennesz posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I was probably going to plunk down the five bucks anyway but now it looks like I have to :banjo:

I think it was pointed out somewhere in this thread you can enable it by editing a .cfg file or something

Dogen
May 5, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Has anyone ever figured out what's up with nosalis taking less damage the more they show up? I just did the part right before Venice again, and again they go from dying in one hit to taking three or four ashot rounds or an entire clip of military grade rounds from the AKS on ranger, it's absurd. By the end of my normal playthrough it took almost eight shotgun shells to down a single one.

Yeah normal kind of sucks about this, although I didn't have the problem to that degree. And it wasn't progressive, it just seemed like some random nosalises in some locations were more hardy. Playing on ranger pretty much fixed this right up.

The thread title should be changed to "just play it on ranger mode"

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah on non-ranger it has that problem, and in ranger you can't really afford to devote a slot to it. Not much it can do that a 2x scope RPK can't. Not much call for long range sniping in the game as a whole.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

fennesz posted:

Sniping has it's uses, they're just incredibly few and far between. I actually managed to kill several of the larger monsters on the Marshes level with a single Valve round. Although 95% of the time whatever a Valve can do a Tihar will do better and with all of the other advantages a pneumatic weapon brings.

I enjoyed the fact that on ranger (at least, I didn't notice it on normal) in the end sequence where you fight the tank they conveniently leave that stronger-than-valve anti-materiel rifle right where you need it.

Also I think there is a valve laying around in the marshes somewhere that I put to use for a minute until I ran out of 7.62 and came back for my azbat. I carried a valve around all through my normal playthrough and used it occasionally (to great effect in the fight with Pavel), but overall it makes sense in a game that takes place mostly in a confined tunnel with limited visibility a sniper rifle isn't going to do you a lot of good the majority of the time.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Roman posted:

Thanks for the advice.

Also, while the writing is actually mostly good I wonder if anyone on the dev team has ever been in contact with an actual woman outside of a strip club.

See the A/T thread "ask me about being Russian" for some insight on this (I know the Ukraine is a different country but culturally they are very close)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

fennesz posted:

Also the Ashot is the best shotgun in the game :colbert:

There is nothing quite like a fully tricked out Abzats. I'm not going to argue it's the best, but perhaps the coolest. I mean, it's a dishka modified to shoot shotgun rounds that you can upgrade to a 40 round box and full auto capability. And also add a cool muzzle brake to.

I grew fond of it on my ranger playthrough after not being able to find a loving Saiga. Does the Abzats just replace the Saiga on ranger?

Also it's kind of funny there's not like, any weight restrictions on your guns. I was hauling around a drum mag RPK with that Abzats. That poo poo probably weighs more than Artyom.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

fennesz posted:

I was actually talking about the single barrel shotgun/pistol :ssh: The thing is so satisfying to use I just can't put it down.

I know. I was saying that I would not contend you were wrong that perhaps Ashot is the best, I was just saying the Azbats might be cooler.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Mushball posted:

So how do I get my hands on a Azbat exactly? I haven't seen one offered at any vendors or on any opponent wielding that belt-fed buckshot spewing monstrosity.

On Ranger mode I found a couple laying around and saw it in some stores (I'm pretty sure they had it in the refugees trapped in the tunnel store, because I think that's where I slapped upgrades on mine). I think it doesn't show up on regular mode.

Coughing Hobo posted:

As much as I love the Ashot, I'm too in love with the animations of the Shambler. Ramshackle revolver shotgun :allears:

I'm mad that it doesn't have a bayonet anymore :mad:

Asehujiko posted:

I'm doing my first run nonlethally because sniping out all the lights and then running through the darkness punching everybody in the face is both easy and fun. However, I now got to a "bossfight" that consists of a small square room with no good cover at all, in daylight and a huge amount of enemies constantly shooting me from above. What am I supposed to do here? Is this the "forced to kill" area mentioned in the achievement?

Are you outside...? Your use of the word "room" makes me think not, but this sounds like a boss fight later on in the game that takes place outside.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 11, 2013

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Plus you get the Abzats :toot:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Leb posted:

Great news, everyone, the RPK is available for purchase on Steam for just 99 cents! I mean, only the most pitiable of souls would drop a dollar on a preorder gun that's already present in the game data! I certainly wouldn't!

I did. :smithcloud:

It's totally sweet all tricked out. Probably worth a buck. With the laser sight and the 2x scope you have short-medium and long range covered, and the drum mag is nice for infinite mutant attack while you wait on some slow rear end transportation to come to you sections.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

PureRok posted:

The section on the swamp can be avoided by turning on the generator and just running off back toward that broken concrete arch and staying under it. Once the machine turns off, the creatures will go away. Run in, turn it back on, repeat. Then just go hop on when it arrives.

I claymore those asshats. They aren't too hard to fight anyhow. Was thinking more of the bell ringing section, and driving forward while shooting backwards.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I'm glad I blindly gave 4A my money for all of that because I knew it would be awesome. I'm not looking forward to returning to the library, but in a good way... if that makes sense. gently caress that place.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Is anyone getting crazy slideshowing on the Reich mission?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Good to know. I did enjoy the sniper mission. Guess I'll try out the ranger candidate one and then wait for an update.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

It seems like it's all exclusive to the missions, though I haven't gone to check.

What's the point of the smg in the sniper's run, by the way? You can't actually use it without getting an alarm raised because it isn't silenced.

If you are impatient you can use it to quick headshot isolated guards or guard pairs, like the guys you run into right after the first zipline. It does seem silly they didn't silence it, though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

hopterque posted:

Yeah, you're generally gonna want a dedicated physx card for games that have it (but don't, because while it's a neat gimmick it's not remotely worth it).

Untrue, for a good card physx is not that demanding. A 650 boost is not that great unfortunately.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Party Plane Jones posted:

On Ranger difficulty this game becomes a knife-throwing simulator since the whole knives bouncing off equipment mechanic is gone.

Well, or sneaking around and knocking people out, which is even easier than that

Dogen
May 5, 2002

There's a bit of a preload on steam for redux, but only 150 megs at the moment.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

On ranger mode you really only use them for boss stuff, if even then. It's been a while since I played 2033 but I remember using them in the part with the... thing in the reactor. Also because I had nothing left to buy at that point. For human targets you are better served with good marksmanship.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I think he just wants to have it run cooler. Fan noise maybe?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Party Plane Jones posted:

The problem is it doesn't really leave the series a way to go forward with the Artyom storyline so they'll probably choose the good ending if they're making another Artyom game.

One bad default, one good default.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Saint Sputnik posted:

I mentioned that 2033 Redux now features Anna and your son running around during the game menu sequence (I don't think it did originally), Artyom's clearly writing his memoirs there too, so yeah, him living is the canon. I don't care about that either way, but I was bugged by the canonical ending they chose for 2033.

They specifically said it was because that was the ending more people got, but that seems like a lovely basis since obviously it's way easier to get, especially the first time, and a lot of people probably won't beat it more than once.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I'm really enjoying 2033 redux, but have run into two really annoying crashes in a row (the modded shambler crash, and a crash when I was creeping across the bridge).

Also I don't know if I have a new monitor or hosed up the brightness settings, but the bridge is a poo poo ton more bright than I remember it being.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Is it me, or is D6 easier, but also kind of lamer? I remember there being weird hard to damage pods on the floor, and also turning on the reactor killing that... thingy. Am I wrong? Also, got the good ending without really trying. I wonder if they lowered the point count, it seems easier than I remember.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Volt Driver is still my jam. And now it has attachments!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The Bigun is an easier to load less powerful Shambler.

Dunno if it's in Spartan mode, but I saw the AKSU at Armory and Polis on Ranger.

I still feel like the Kalash/2012 is really not that great after Polis, really only a good anti-human weapon, or good against mutants at a distance.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

It blows through ammo to kill mutants with the AK but it works out way better for me than the sawed-off for killing them. I have the revolver as a mini-sniper again though so later on I'll have room to swap the ak out. I just wish I had had those thirty extra MGR to afford the driver. And I thought I grabbed everything there was. :(

You can get one for free at the outdoor base. Sucks you don't get a free one anymore early on.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Find a weapon you're better with and use that? You can use chapter select to go back if you have to. It's not the easiest game. Also don't try to kill all the librarians, although it sounds like you are somewhere before that.

My advice re: monster fighting is to back away and aim for the face carefully, preferably with a reflex sight if you have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I feel like trolley combat and D6 are both less epic, but I appreciate all the improvements in the rest of the game. Didn't you used to shoot the bridge out from under a tank, and didn't the big gross critter on the reactor get steamed?

• Locked thread