Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Just got the Redux version on PS4. I am completely lost on what difficulty I should start on. I have never played, but should I play it on ranger my first time or hardcore or normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

your evil twin posted:

One thing to bear in mind is that Ranger mode now limits you to carrying 2 weapons instead of 3. Originally only Metro Last Light did that, but Metro 2033 Redux now does that as well.

I personally think that's a bad decision, especially as they've increased the amount of weapon customisation in the game. If you can only carry 2 guns at a time then you'll end up in situations where you've got an awesome gun that you've spent lots of money on upgrading... and you run out of ammo for it and have no choice but to drop it to pick up whatever random weapon is lying around. Which means that to avoid that situation you don't risk spending your money on upgrades, and so you actually get to see less of the game's features.

There's also the fact that in Ranger mode stealth is pretty much mandatory, while in non-ranger modes stealth is a very good idea but if you screw up you can still fight your way out. And since Metro 2033 Redux is supposed to have improved combat mechanics from Metro Last Light it is probably worth experiencing some combat occasionally.

I'm curious, how are throwing knives in Redux? Have they made them work differently depending on whether you are in Survivor or Spartan? In original Metro 2033 knives seemed pretty realistic (you had to hit someone in the right place, and they could bounce off objects on their armour). In Last Light they made them always an instant kill.

Im pretty sure most of the game mechanics are ripped right out of Last Light considering that they just moved the engine over to 2033.

I think I ended up going with Survival hardcore for Metro 2033. The book was pretty cheap on Kindle so I bought that too. Should I wait til after I beat the game to start reading it?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Is there no online manual for this? I can't find anything, even on the disc.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Its pretty non-eventful. I thought there was going to be more to it because the guy is like, "Oh poo poo, a tank!" and then that is all that happens.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

God drat this is an annoying level. loving small rear end monsters constantly nipping at my ankles and running off. I will be glad when this poo poo is over.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

What is really odd is that you get a silver trophy for beating survival, but a gold trophy for beating spartan.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Just beat Metro 2033. Very fun game, although I think when I replay it, I will do it on Spartan although it doesn't seem to make much of a difference since I was buried in ammo by the end.

Like after a certain point, the game just says gently caress it and gives you like 100 and 200 rounds of MGR,

Also, they really want to make it apparent that the bad ending is the canonical one for Last Light. They tell you it about 5 times in the first 2 minutes.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Just beat Last Light. I think I prefer it over 2033 because it has more interesting characters but the ending could have used a little more work.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

closeted republican posted:

Is it weird that I never really used the P90/Kalash 1012? I know that in Metro 2003, the AK-74 had a noticeable power difference over the P90, which made the AK-74 the best assault rifle for Ranger Hardcore. I tried the P90 for a bit in Last Light, but wasn't very impressed. Should I give it a shot in my LL Ranger Hardcore run?

Plus, it's Russia; pew-pew space poo poo like the P90 has no room in a world dominated by AKs. :colbert:

Honestly, I chose the RPK over the Kalash. Its just cooler that way :colbert:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

How are the DLC missions? I tried the Kshatriya one for a brief moment and I will definitely be going back to that one.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Speaking of which, I was pleasantly surprised to hear that (Don't read unless you have beaten Metro 2033 and the Pavel mission in Last Light)Bourbon is still alive. :unsmith:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Dogen posted:

Throwing knives are one hit kills to non boss enemies on any difficulty I think. Head shots are from most guns. The main difference in hardcore is the disappearing HUD and body shot damage from Kalash et al, which is generally to the player's disadvantage.

Where'd you hear that? It says the opposite on the ending of LL.

They hint at it at the end of the Pavel mission. There are two guys who are talking about how a gang was wiped out and how he was the only survivor because the attacker thought he was dead and overlooked him.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

So, I finally finished the Metro: 2033 book, and it was pretty good. I was kind of surprised that they cut the whole cannibal section out of the game, but I can understand why they did it. Also, Artyom is completely different in the book than he is from the game. In the book, he pretty much seems like a bumbling idiot for 85% of it.

That being said, I think I really like the narrative of Last Light a whole lot more as it seems a lot more personal and you have a lot more of a direct effect on the narrative. I really do hope that they plan on making a novelization of Last Light.

By the way, how is Metro 2034?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The Kremlin stuff was probably the blob that was living under it controlling people's minds. But I'm wondering what ending they will settle on in metro 2035.

• Locked thread