Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

We go back and detail the trip in such a rich, colorful way that Aren feels like he experienced it himself. Also it miraculously cures his flu! Wow!

Anyway, yeah, fine with splitting and all that and I have no requests out of the stuff except the sword. Are we updating both the Obsidian sheet and here or just one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Megaflare posted:

We go back and detail the trip in such a rich, colorful way that Aren feels like he experienced it himself. Also it miraculously cures his flu! Wow!

Anyway, yeah, fine with splitting and all that and I have no requests out of the stuff except the sword. Are we updating both the Obsidian sheet and here or just one?

I'm working off the Obsidian sheet, so please update that one; you could update the one here but it doesn't matter to me.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Gao posted:

And since we're going to have a rest, are there any spells you guys would like me to have Kalkun memorize for our next session? I found that two of Kalkun's cantrips were the same as ones that Ipomea had, and I figured that we should coordinate to be less redundant. In addition to the regular cleric spell list, I also have either Entangle or Obscuring Mist for my first level domain slot.

If you want to cover read magic, that would be helpful since I don't plan on taking it soon. Similarly if you can memorize light - I can do dancing lights twice a day for checking high corners and such, and I have low light vision so I took spark instead. Eventually I think we'll both have enough cantrips known that it won't matter much. I think I'll learn Ghost Sound, Mending, Message as my next 3 but that's levels away, if you want to cover one or all of those feel free. For easy reference I have Acid Splash (my usual attack), Spark (Fire is handy), Prestidigitation (You aren't a sorceress if you can't make an animated mop), and Detect Magic (too good not to take, doubling up on this is completely ok). Both of your domain spells are amazing. I think I'd memorize entangle for stuff above ground, and mist below, but that's entirely up to you.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy

Anias posted:

If you want to cover read magic, that would be helpful since I don't plan on taking it soon. Similarly if you can memorize light - I can do dancing lights twice a day for checking high corners and such, and I have low light vision so I took spark instead. Eventually I think we'll both have enough cantrips known that it won't matter much. I think I'll learn Ghost Sound, Mending, Message as my next 3 but that's levels away, if you want to cover one or all of those feel free. For easy reference I have Acid Splash (my usual attack), Spark (Fire is handy), Prestidigitation (You aren't a sorceress if you can't make an animated mop), and Detect Magic (too good not to take, doubling up on this is completely ok). Both of your domain spells are amazing. I think I'd memorize entangle for stuff above ground, and mist below, but that's entirely up to you.

I think I'll memorize Guidance, Read Magic, and light for my cantrips right now then unless someone has a better idea, and I'll probably stick with Bless and Magic Weapon for level 1 stuff. If we're going to be encountering more goblins controlled by goblin snakes again soon, I'm think that Obscuring Mist might be a good way to make any outlying goblins less of a threat while we get into melee with a snake, hopefully allowing us to free them with minimal goblin casualties if the snake's influence drops upon its death.

And assuming we can find someone in town to make change, we could divide the remaining five gold up into 83 copper a person, with a remainder of 2 copper, which would get us each a new total of

50 GP
69 SP
237 CP

with a spare 5cp.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Making change is no big deal either, we'll just handwave that. (Unless you guys get some super-special crazy coins in which case I will tell you they are super-special crazy coins!)

I didn't get a response to people wanting to buy things right now to cut down on downtime next session, so here's a bunch of prompts. If you just want to buy anything, then just say so. If you want to role-play buying it out, then quote the appropriate one and respond, and we'll go from there. If no one responds to the one for the mayor, then we'll follow up on it in-game next session. (Oh, and if you're buying, don't forget the 100gp you each got from completing your quest!)

Each prompt starts with a bold name, please include that in your responses so we can keep things straight.

Mayor Ricar Thon

When you return to Heartwood, dusk has begun to touch the village, long shadows drawing down from the high cliffs around the village. The mayor is at the very edge of the village proper, pacing nervously around a stand of lit torches, wringing his hands. Upon seeing you, he draws up tall, the shadows playing across the nervous grin on his face. "You return! Did you find our crops?"

The Old Barn

After asking a few townsfolk for directions to the temple (for divine spells, potions, or healing), you find yourself heading out of town to a distant collection of farm buildings. One of them looks well-kept, freshly shingled in the spring, with an imported clay tile roof. But the door is locked, and so you turn around to the barn, which looks almost decrepit. It's worn and leaning, with holes in the roof not even patched over with thatch. Stepping inside reveals stalls jammed one up against each other, not in the best condition either, with a wide array of farm animals packed in. A few hens are in the first, a pig in the next, a beautiful black horse in the last. You begin to wonder if you've come to the wrong place, when you see it - a rough stone altar at the end of the barn, topped with melted candles and a wooden idol of a man. You near, only to feel a light touch on your back. Turning around, a man is standing there, tanned and brown-haired. He looks like nothing more than a typical farmhand, dirt covering his hands and his clothes rougly patched. He holds a scythe taller than he is up as if it was a walking stick. "Hello. Are you looking for something?"

The Crow's Fine Goods

Finding Heartwood's general store (for weapons, armor, and other needs) is simple - it's the only place on the main street hanging a shingle. Even if it wasn't, it would stand out for miles - the store's wooden walls are seemingly randomly studded with glass and huge mirrored panes of silvered metal, which has the side-effect of almost blinding you as you step into the store proper. Inside, however, the shop is clean and tidy, as evinced by the small robed creature sweeping the floor just as you enter. It turns and squawks. "Customers!" Rushing behind the counter and pulling down its hood, you find yourself facing a bird-man, black like a crow. It's a tengu, one of a mercantile race common across Sakara: folk tales say they got into business just because it got them more shiny things to hoard. "Hello customers! What would you like to buy?!"

The Abjured Wasp

Heartwood's magic shop is not easy to find. It turns out to be a pair of cellar doors just behind the Fearsome House, and it's only identifiable by the crudely written sign that says "WIZARD HEYRE." Well, that and the reek of incense that comes blasting out when you open the doors. Descending the narrow staircase puts you in a tiny room filled to bursting - shelves and tables are covered in bottles filled with alien horns, strange dusts, or just heaping piles of scrolls. A tall pedestal bears a leather book - which is chained to the pedestal and to rings set in the stone floor. The small counter is almost lost behind a coat-rack carrying wizard robes, a pair of boots hung upside down (and with their pointed heels dangerously close to eye-level), and a pair of fishing nets (???). Stuck behind it is an aged wizard wearing a robe so ragged you think he might have been born in it. He's sitting on a chair, and rocking something back and forth in his arms - a marionette? Yes, a marionette, faded paint where a shirt and hair and pants once were, now closer to raw wood. "Ey," he says. "You say there's someone here? Well I can't see them, you tell me! No, you tell me, I ain't playin' no games!" The wizard puts one of his hands out of his face and makes a grabbing motion. It's not until he's fully stuck it in the marionette and turned its head to face you that you realize he has just removed his glass eye and put it in the puppet. "Oh, it's an adventurer, ey? Well what do they want, ey?"

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
Might as well role play for the two things I want right now.

Arivia posted:

The Crow's Fine Goods

Finding Heartwood's general store (for weapons, armor, and other needs) is simple - it's the only place on the main street hanging a shingle. Even if it wasn't, it would stand out for miles - the store's wooden walls are seemingly randomly studded with glass and huge mirrored panes of silvered metal, which has the side-effect of almost blinding you as you step into the store proper. Inside, however, the shop is clean and tidy, as evinced by the small robed creature sweeping the floor just as you enter. It turns and squawks. "Customers!" Rushing behind the counter and pulling down its hood, you find yourself facing a bird-man, black like a crow. It's a tengu, one of a mercantile race common across Sakara: folk tales say they got into business just because it got them more shiny things to hoard. "Hello customers! What would you like to buy?!"

"Hi, nice to meet you!" Kalkun walks over to shake the tengu's hand (wing?). "I was just thinking that maybe I could use some more protection." He walks over to the shields and picks up one taller than him and starts to examine it. "Something like this."

quote:

The Abjured Wasp

Heartwood's magic shop is not easy to find. It turns out to be a pair of cellar doors just behind the Fearsome House, and it's only identifiable by the crudely written sign that says "WIZARD HEYRE." Well, that and the reek of incense that comes blasting out when you open the doors. Descending the narrow staircase puts you in a tiny room filled to bursting - shelves and tables are covered in bottles filled with alien horns, strange dusts, or just heaping piles of scrolls. A tall pedestal bears a leather book - which is chained to the pedestal and to rings set in the stone floor. The small counter is almost lost behind a coat-rack carrying wizard robes, a pair of boots hung upside down (and with their pointed heels dangerously close to eye-level), and a pair of fishing nets (???). Stuck behind it is an aged wizard wearing a robe so ragged you think he might have been born in it. He's sitting on a chair, and rocking something back and forth in his arms - a marionette? Yes, a marionette, faded paint where a shirt and hair and pants once were, now closer to raw wood. "Ey," he says. "You say there's someone here? Well I can't see them, you tell me! No, you tell me, I ain't playin' no games!" The wizard puts one of his hands out of his face and makes a grabbing motion. It's not until he's fully stuck it in the marionette and turned its head to face you that you realize he has just removed his glass eye and put it in the puppet. "Oh, it's an adventurer, ey? Well what do they want, ey?"

While that display may have disturbed anyone else with him, Kalkun's attention is drawn by the coat rack. "Wow, I didn't think you Drylanders would have any of these!" He reaches up and starts examining one of the fishing nets. "I lost mine when I tried to catch one of those...what do you call'em...deer things with it. It got caught in the thing's antler, and he just ran off with it."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The Crow's Fine Goods

"Oh no no no no." The tengu almost runs from out from behind the counter, pulling the tall shield from your hands and propping it back up. "Far, far too large for you. You'd just hurt yourself. And I imagine that wasn't your goal with the goblins - it was goblins wasn't it, all the terrors of the world just blend together, empires here and dangers there - you want something to stop the goblins, not make it easier!" The tengu turns to another rack of shields and pulls out a large burnished steel disk - a simple large round shield, no frills or fuss. "This! This is what you want, my friend. Look: easy enough to carry, large enough to block a goblin and those awful dogs they have, and it even shines like all good things do!"

The Abjured Wasp

"Hahahaha." The wizard laughs, a high-pitched offputting squeal that seems to come from the doll and not the man. "I don't think you want that net, frog. You've heard of a nereid, haven't you? Nasty little things, girls with crushes on sailors and worse: they sing songs and get a man underwater, then drown him and eat his soul right up. A man with no soul is gone forever, not right not right...so unless you're planning on talking to pretty women in places you shouldn't be talking to, you don't need that net. That net just catches souls."

Gao
Aug 14, 2005

Arivia posted:

The Crow's Fine Goods

"Oh no no no no." The tengu almost runs from out from behind the counter, pulling the tall shield from your hands and propping it back up. "Far, far too large for you. You'd just hurt yourself. And I imagine that wasn't your goal with the goblins - it was goblins wasn't it, all the terrors of the world just blend together, empires here and dangers there - you want something to stop the goblins, not make it easier!" The tengu turns to another rack of shields and pulls out a large burnished steel disk - a simple large round shield, no frills or fuss. "This! This is what you want, my friend. Look: easy enough to carry, large enough to block a goblin and those awful dogs they have, and it even shines like all good things do!"

"Well it certainly is shiny," Kalkun says as he looks it over. He mounts it on his arm and moves it around a bit, feeling its weight, finding it a bit lighter than he expected. "I like. How much is it?"

quote:

The Abjured Wasp

"Hahahaha." The wizard laughs, a high-pitched offputting squeal that seems to come from the doll and not the man. "I don't think you want that net, frog. You've heard of a nereid, haven't you? Nasty little things, girls with crushes on sailors and worse: they sing songs and get a man underwater, then drown him and eat his soul right up. A man with no soul is gone forever, not right not right...so unless you're planning on talking to pretty women in places you shouldn't be talking to, you don't need that net. That net just catches souls."

Kalkun releases the net and backs away slowly. "Yeah, I don't think that's for me." He turns back towards the wizard. "I don't suppose you'd know where I can get a more normal net of this sort, do you?"

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Arivia posted:

Mayor Ricar Thon

When you return to Heartwood, dusk has begun to touch the village, long shadows drawing down from the high cliffs around the village. The mayor is at the very edge of the village proper, pacing nervously around a stand of lit torches, wringing his hands. Upon seeing you, he draws up tall, the shadows playing across the nervous grin on his face. "You return! Did you find our crops?"

Tryphon inclines his head. "As promised. We have cleared out the ruins where the goblins took your food. If you gather men and wagons, the trip will be uneventful and you will be able to retrieve your harvest. However," he says, before the mayor gets too eager, holding up his hand, "it seemed the goblins were quite hungry indeed, and not all of what you have lost will be able to be retrieved. You may wish to ration your crops wisely over the winter."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The Crow's Fine Goods

"For you, only twenty - that's two tens - gold! For a shield as good as any you'll find in the elven Empire. What do you say?!"

The Abjured Wasp

"Hmph, well...the other net there is good for fishing. 50 gold for it, and it'll catch you mountain carp until your bucket's full and your belly too. Or I have a not-so-good one in the back...no great quality, but it'll catch a fish if you know how to. 5 gold for that one."

Mayor Ricar Thon

"oooo." You can see the mayor's face draw stern as you tell him the bad news. "Well, at least some of it was returned. Thank you, and here is your gold." The mayor passes out six small sacks, one for each of you. Opening your sack reveals one hundred shiny gold coins, all gleaming brightly like they were freshly minted.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Ipomea

Her eyes glow gently for a moment as she takes the pouch, but nothing suspicious she tucks most of it into her pouch, and heads out to the Old Barn.

The Old Barn

After asking a few townsfolk for directions to the temple (for divine spells, potions, or healing), you find yourself heading out of town to a distant collection of farm buildings. One of them looks well-kept, freshly shingled in the spring, with an imported clay tile roof. But the door is locked, and so you turn around to the barn, which looks almost decrepit. It's worn and leaning, with holes in the roof not even patched over with thatch. Stepping inside reveals stalls jammed one up against each other, not in the best condition either, with a wide array of farm animals packed in. A few hens are in the first, a pig in the next, a beautiful black horse in the last. You begin to wonder if you've come to the wrong place, when you see it - a rough stone altar at the end of the barn, topped with melted candles and a wooden idol of a man. You near, only to feel a light touch on your back. Turning around, a man is standing there, tanned and brown-haired. He looks like nothing more than a typical farmhand, dirt covering his hands and his clothes rougly patched. He holds a scythe taller than he is up as if it was a walking stick. "Hello. Are you looking for something?"

Ipomea

"Not much and everything sir. I have a donation to make in the name of the harvest goddess and her sisters, a question about the local weather, and if it's all right I'd spend some time alone after that. This seems a peaceful place, and I have learned to drink in peace when I may."

She shakes the pouch with the remaining gilders in it. 25g

"If your winters are snowy, then this winter will be hard, and I and mine will be long gone when the worst of it hits. The road owns adventurers, and even more so pilgrims. Yet the land owns this village. Let me make a tithe then, that you can look after these villagers after we have moved on. Your mayor is a good man, but there are always those too timid to seek public help who will take a shepherds quiet offering. Spend it as you will, in their name, and let there be a little light in the dark of winter. As for my question - I would ask if you know of a river or road to the north? When we set out, we will need fresh water and clear travel."

She waits for the priests answer, and turns over her tithe, then if he leaves she settles in to meditate for an hour or so. Afterwards, she heads to the crow's fine goods. Walking into the store, she smiles a moment at the proprietor.

The Crow's Fine Goods

"Ah, yes. I am a customer today. Greetings to you fine merchant seeker. I am hoping for a tiana-allan, a hanging tent. Mine was lost and I have missed the comfort of it. Along with some sturdy rope of course, and a set of empty satchels."

The shopkeeper bustles about collecting goods, and while Ipomea waits her eye is drawn to a small locket. She adds it to the pile, then is certain to count out the shiniest of her copper and silver, then her gold. Shem smiles gently as she hands it over, knowing that tengu would rather have more shiny coins than less, even if they drive a hard bargain for value.

"I thank you for your trading, and hope your nest grows with the seasons."

In a very good mood after her earlier two visits, she heads to the last of them. Best to be optimistic. Finally a trip to the Abjured wasp. She knocks carefully on the door, but does not enter. Arcanists respect each other's space, it cuts down on the accidental deaths.

The Abjured Wasp

"I would barter, sir. I have need of a torch all-burning, but would rather the spell be cast upon a locket. I know the torch is a traditional choice, but I would rather have the brooch. Less fuss, less likely to be stolen, easier for me to shield away. I have two scrolls I would trade for a casting, if you would."

She proffers the scroll of ventriloquism and the scroll of frostbite.

"I would also like very much to purchase a blank traveling book. Nothing fancy, but serviceable, and to refill my ink and pen. I miss my drawing. In return, I would offer a night without dreams, or a small fee of gold."

Anias fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 7, 2013

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Arivia posted:

Mayor Ricar Thon

"oooo." You can see the mayor's face draw stern as you tell him the bad news. "Well, at least some of it was returned. Thank you, and here is your gold." The mayor passes out six small sacks, one for each of you. Opening your sack reveals one hundred shiny gold coins, all gleaming brightly like they were freshly minted.

Kiraj

"They wasted no time digging in. Your guys will see for themselves when they go get what's left." He also relays to Ricar what was lurking in the cavern-like area to the right of the fork. "We killed it but I'd tell your men to stay out of there, just in case more of them are hanging about."

Next, he opens the pouch and counts out half of the gold pieces before closing it and handing it back to Ricar.

"I want you to keep this. Use it to train a militia, build fences, whatever you think is best. Try to be ready if this happens again. Probably cheaper in the long run too, y'know?"

It seemed like the goblins got in and out without much hassle and he wasn't sure what about this situation worried him more: the apparent lack of foresight by the mayor or the discovery of the serpentine creature in the ruins. Being able to bend the whims of entire groups, maybe hordes, of goblins to serve a singular purpose could be a powerful ability. Still, he wanted to give Ricar the benefit of the doubt. He wanted to believe the sorry state of this town's defenses were due to complacency rather than incompetence.

Nothing I'm looking to buy right now. So I'm good on that front.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 7, 2013

Gao
Aug 14, 2005

Arivia posted:

The Crow's Fine Goods

"For you, only twenty - that's two tens - gold! For a shield as good as any you'll find in the elven Empire. What do you say?!"

"I say we have a deal, bud!" Kalkun hands him the gold and promptly runs off to show off his new equipment to his friends.

quote:

The Abjured Wasp

"Hmph, well...the other net there is good for fishing. 50 gold for it, and it'll catch you mountain carp until your bucket's full and your belly too. Or I have a not-so-good one in the back...no great quality, but it'll catch a fish if you know how to. 5 gold for that one."

"Well that sounds pretty good." Kalkun pauses for a moment, thinking. "But you Drylanders always seem to come up with crazy ways to adapt things to your needs. Is this sort of net the best thing to trip up, say, a goblin, or have you guys invented other kinds of nets?"

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

My computer went bye bye. I don't expect the replacement to show up before the next session. I guess Asgall caught that flu.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The Old Barn

The man smiles. "Of course. Darak is a giving god, and he will listen to any earnest prayers. I appreciate your donation, which will be put to the good of our fields. As for a road, the road to the north leads to Sarvidal, which I have heard is in some peril from the imperial settlers nearby. Still, we keep the road clear and it will be suitable for travel for at least another month."

The Crow's Fine Goods

The crow nods along with each of your requests. "A hanging tent...I have that for the mountaineers who scale the cliffs around the village. And some sacks? Yes, yes..." The tengu returns with your goods, and his eyes widen at your pendant. "Ohhhh, you want that - do you have a girlfriend you need a gift for? I have some beautiful elven dresses over here..." The total is 30 gold for the locket, 50 feet of silk rope, your hanging tent, and five sacks.

The Abjured Wasp

"Hmph," goes the wizard, talking to his dummy. "Those scrolls are not enough for a spell of that power - or the crushed gems to feed it. I'll need eighty-five gold to make it worth my while." He looks at your pile of papers. "Ah, but this will do. Come back in the morning and I will give you your flaming locket. And leave the other two scrolls here to count for your silly scribe's request." (No gold spent, scrolls of ventriloquism, frostbite, and levitate lost.)

Kalkun: "No, nothing more I can think of - I am a wizard, not a trapper! Now will you buy the net or leave me alone!"

Mayor Ricar Thon

The mayor looks at the money outstretched in Kiraj's hand, then takes it. "Thank you. Maybe we haven't spent enough on our own protection, you're right. Heartwood was a peaceful place, but it seems the dangers of the rest of the forests seem to be creeping in...we definitely can't lose our crops again, you're right."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
In case it wasn't obvious, we're still on for tomorrow, same time, same channel. Even more fun dangers wait in store!

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

This time we encounter the Dreaded Goblin Pig! Will our heroes survive or will they all catch the swine flu?

Cue dramatic music, cut to commercial.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hey everyone! Good session! I had a lot of fun and I hope you did too.

Everyone gets 400 xp for the session. I'm including the encounter with Xylene (the spirit) as overcome, as I said: I think you guys definitely worked that one out, even if it didn't end up with rolling for initiative and all that.

Next time, we're on to see what happened to the other spirits, and to explore the huge tree!

As for treasure, here's the loot you guys found:

52 gp, 2 pp, small flask of red liquid marked with a stylized gust of wind on the cap (potion of levitate), small flask of blue liquid marked with a stylized feather on the cap (potion of feather step), piece of vellum written on in elegant inked script (arcane scroll of magic circle against chaos), an electrum censer with silver filigree (70 gp), engraved jade scarab (85 gp), decorated silver plate (60 gp), set of six silver dice (75 gp), two clay pots filled with a silvery-gray powder (cold iron weapon blanch)

42 sp, 46 gp, red leather spellbook containing the following spells: misdirection, summon swarm, whispering wind, wand of sleep with 5 charges, flask containing brown liquid marked with a stag head on a steel band around the base (potion of hide from animals), vial containing a sugary green liquid with a domino mask etched into the glass (potion of eagle’s splendor), vial containing a white liquid with a sun on the stopper (potion of undetectable alignment), piece of bark with letters scrawled on it in ash (divine scroll of flaming sphere)

56 sp, 64 gp, alabaster stone ring (12 gp), alabaster pendant (13 gp), irregular chunk of obsidian (9 gp), chunk of green spinel (40 gp), polished bloodstone (45 gp), circle cut garnet (80 gp), studded leather armor made out of fine hides and studded with silver nails (+1 studded leather armor), tightly coiled polished leather whip (masterwork whip), vial of a blue liquid with a large eye etched into the glass (potion of owl’s splendor), vial of a green liquid with a pine cone drawn on the stopper (oil of wood shape)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Question: did anyone using ranged attacks actually remember the -4 penalty for throwing into melee this session? I think we're all forgetting, and it's bad and kinda stupid and I'm inclined to just house rule it out unless someone minds.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
I didn't use them, because I was throwing my weapon in such a way that allies wouldn't be caught in the splash, so I figured that it wouldn't apply.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

I think the only one it would have applied to was Aren's throw. And he rolled a natural 19 anyway so I doubt it would have mattered.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Since today brings another session and nobody else has claimed any treasure, here's a quick draft at a decent split. If anybody wants something else, they can claim it of course.

Money (after converting of the appropriate units): 111gp each, 24sp each, 4sp remain.

Items:
Asgall - +1 studded leather armor
Aren - Wand of Sleep, Scroll of Magic Circle against Chaos, Potion of Hide from Animals
Ipomea - Potion of Eagle's Splendor, Spellbook
Kalkun - Divine Scroll of Flaming Sphere, Potion of Owl's Wisdom
Kiraj - Cold Iron Weapon Blanch
Tryphon - Potion of Feather Step, Oil of Wood Shape, Potion of Levitate, Potion of Undetectable Alignment.

I tried giving everybody the things they would get the most use out of.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Eerily similar to my draft of the same. Looks workable.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

No argument here.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Awesome, thank you. No more shall I be slowed by fashionable, yet bulky, armored coats.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
No game today, sorry. I ate something that I shouldn't have and now I am stuck between my bed and the washroom in a mild state of agony.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

That sucks (to be sick), get better soon!

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Ooo, no worries. Hope you feel better soon.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Next time stay away from the suspicious fish! Hope you get well soon.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I learned from my time in Las Vegas is if anything says it is fresh food, it isn't.
Get better soon!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay, so I'm feeling better now. Thanks for your understanding, and I promise I'll make it up to you next week!

To keep everyone excited and in the game, so to speak, I'm working on something that I've let slip a little since the game started: world building. Specifically, I'm doing my complete outlines of each of the unique elements you brought to the setting, and I'll be looking to post one a day for the rest of the week until the next game. They're not all cities (although this one is), but they do illustrate some part of the game world and focus on what one of you provided. To begin with, here's what Wahad inspired me to when I was thinking about elves in Sakara:

Ferendel, the Flower City
LE metropolis
Corruption +6; Crime -3; Economy +7; Law +9; Lore +4; Society +4
Qualities insular, prosperous, racially intolerant (humans), strategic location, superstitious, tourist attraction
Danger 10
Demographics
Government overlord (hereditary lordship)
Population 42,000
Notable NPCs
Flower Lord Daiko Mune (daimyo of Ferendel, high lord of the Flower House)
Karanei, the Queen of Tisanes
Sthollo Red-Wing (leader of the Hawk's Eye mercantile chain)
Marketplace
Base Value 25,000 gp; Purchase Limit 150,000 gp; Spellcasting 6th; Minor Items unlimited/nearly all; Medium Items 7 items; Major Items 5 items

Ferendel is the trading center of Imperial Corazura, in the inner lands known as the Elven Court. It is the largest city in the empire, just ahead of the capital, Lantern City Seikyo. Ferendel is a bustling city, busy with trade from across the empire and many of its partners. Notable is the lack of humans, an underclass at best in the empire.

Ferendel is the capital of the Flower House, lead by their lord Daiko Mune. Mune rules fron a massive palace in the north of Ferendel, where the deep blue Syakko Lake drains into miles of lagoons filled with lotus blooms. The other sides of Ferendel are dominated by endless rolling hills covered in brightly-coloured tea plants, Ferendel's main natural export. Eventually a visitor comes to the city proper, where what appears to be a stand of tall trees has instead been cut into towering stepped tenements. The highest levels are where Ferendel's nobles and merchant princes live, descending to the gutters and shanties between the trees proper that make up its underclasses. A dizzying web of carved and shaped branches serve as bridges between the trees, many of them strong enough to support beasts of burden and act as wide thoroughfares.

Despite its wonders, Ferendel is not the safest city in the Empire. Due to its importance as the trade center, each of the Houses has citadels nestled in the trees; their intrigues and conspiracies often leak out into the streets, tea houses, and taverns, causing duels and brawls to be common occurrences. The violence often peaks just prior to the yearly Great Assembly in early spring, slowing down just before Daiko Mune leaves for Seikyo to cast his vote.

Not all dangers are external, however. Ferendel's tea farming is plagued by a group of dire apes who live in the nearby hills and often rampage through the farming communities, stealing flowers and tea leaves to eat. Rumour has it they are addicted to the solid tea leaves, which produce a strange hallucinogenic effect in their giant physiologies. Giant mantises are also native to the area, some large enough to eat an elf whole; and they often prey up caravans traveling to and out of Ferendel proper. On the city's edges, a mysterious group calling itself the Hands of Fire has bombed several lower-class tea houses, and has attacked markets. They have not left any messages except for a single handprint in a dark red paint located somewhere in their locus of crime.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Cool. So we're totally killing a giant mantis at some point! Or many. So here: know thine enemy.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Something came up at work, so I might be running a little behind today. If I'm not around when the normal time starts, go ahead and get started. I should hopefully get in a little after.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Thanks for the heads' up.

I managed to accidentally trash my notes so I'm piecing stuff together as fast as I can. Hope this works!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Thanks for the game everyone!

I had a ton of fun, sorry the combats dragged a bit.

I have some stuff to do tonight so there's no total treasure or xp breakdown right now, but there is a ton of both coming for you.

We missed you Fiend Computer, I hope everything's okay!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay, breakdowns!

So basically I actually intended for the fights in the tree to be pretty hard - we're talking Challenge Rating 2 to 4 - and you guys blew through a lot of them, and with less people to boot! The elementals helped out a bit, so I'm including them as party members in the combats where they assisted you (so the xp for those fights is divided by 5, not 4.)

Here's the calculations:

-Outside the Base of the Tree: CR 4, 1200 XP. Divided by 5, so 240 XP each.
-Fighting In The Roots: CR 3, 800 XP. Divided by 4, so 200 XP each.
-Atop The Tree's Branches: CR 4, 1200 XP. Divided by 5, so 240 XP each.
-The Mad Man: CR 2, 600 XP. Divided by 5, so 120 XP each.
-The Serpent Sword: CR 2, 600 XP. Divided by 4, so 150 XP each.

So uh that is a lot of XP. 950 XP in total if my math is right (feel free to check.) I'll definitely include 400 XP next session, so plan on levelling up after the next one.

Treasure!

This is the treasure from the chest by the third encounter: 122 sp, 80 gp, a turquoise necklace (100 gp), an uncut hematite (10 gp), a small rough malachite (8 gp), and a cracked turquoise (7 gp), a vial containing a thick viscous gray liquid (vial of oil of grease), and a length of iron ending in a rough ingot stamped with a star on it. (wand of disrupt undead, 23 charges)

This is the treasure from the tree at the end: 142 sp, 7 gp, small ivory tusk (52 gp), silver cup decorated with a royal crest of a raven (100 gp), silver comb with a gold handle (125 gp), fine steel shield with a gold and purple hex pattern on the front (mwk light steel shield), a mace made out of a shiny green material with a rough leather handle (mwk viridium light mace), vial of a clear liquid stuffed shut with a wad of cotton (oil of make whole), small potion of some green liquid that smells like clover (potion of resist energy sonic), scrap of parchment hastily written on in green ink (scroll of spectral hand), neatly-folded piece of vellum with gold-foil letters (scroll of poison). Note! Viridium is poisonous. Tryphon was able to recognize it, and you can make a makeshift scabbard between sessions, but Kiraj had to save against leprosy (he doesn't have leprosy) and it could be a problem in the future. It's up to you whether the risk is worth the possible gain.

Three more things:

1) Everyone got a piece of magic fruit, one of the last six in the world. Magic fruit are essentially consumable plot coupons: they can be sprinkled on a corpse to cast resurrection, or be fed to/eaten by a living creature to cast both heal and restoration on that creature. Alternatively, they can be used for other uses as determined narratively & collaboratively - some of you had uses for them in your backgrounds, I think. I'm not going to come up with specific things that cost your fruit: they're up to you how and when you use them.
2) Journal entries for hero points are available again, and generally will be at the conclusion of any adventure or any other significant rest (as I determine.) I am way behind on my hero point accounting, I'll try to fix that up this week.
3) What did you think about our first full-fledged adventure? Interesting? Boring? The combats probably weren't great - gremlins are a pain to fight - but did you enjoy some parts of them? What would you like to see more of, and what don't you want to see again?

Next time, we'll be figuring out what was up with the mad man, and heading on and out of Heartwood. A lot of people have goals north, but it's effectively up to you where you go.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 26, 2013

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

I've got a pretty good idea of what Kiraj would want to do with his barring any emergencies but as it would require going back the way he came, it probably won't come up for a while (which is perfectly fine!)

quote:

3) What did you think about our first full-fledged adventure? Interesting? Boring? The combats probably weren't great - gremlins are a pain to fight - but did you enjoy some parts of them? What would you like to see more of, and what don't you want to see again?

It was fun! No major complaints really. Little slow in the beginning but I think that's mostly just a matter of us getting used to playing together as it's gotten faster and smoother each time. Especially conversations. We seem to more or less naturally taking turns as to who primarily drives each conversation, which is good because trying to have 6 people talk at once in text gets messy and bogs things down.

I think the combats were fine for 1st level. Yeah aura of unluck and the DR 5 was tough, especially with the terribly streaky dice we were having, but considering they seemed unable to do more than 1 damage each it all evened out. And yeah I knew what I was getting into making a monk. And not just a monk but a monk with a race that has a penalty to WIS, hah. Overall, a pretty good start imo!

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I've enjoyed the game so far. The combat has been fun and the scenarios have been imaginative in a flighty adventure sort of way. I would like to see basically more of that... weird enemies like the goblin snake and cool dungeon locales like the inside of a magic tree.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Despite my lack of participation in the climactic session, I'm definitely enjoying it so far and looking forward to more! We've made an interesting world here and I'm eager to explore it. I agree with Evil Sagan about the weird creatures and locales. Definitely more of that.

Also since I've been the Party Accountant previously, I may as well show up and do it again. Once again, it's a draft, and open to negotiation.

489gp, 264sp.

81g each, 3 left
33sp, 3 left.

Converted down: 81g, 38s, 5cp each.

Items:

Asgall - Potion of Resist Energy (Sonic)
Aren - Scroll of Poison
Ipomea - Wand of Disrupt Undead, Scroll of Spectral Hand
Kalkun - Oil of Make Whole
Kiraj - Oil of Grease
Tryphon - Masterwork Viridium Mace

Leftover items: Masterwork Whip (from last session), Masterwork Light Steel Shield, Sell them, or claim them if you wish.

I gave Kiraj the oil of grease so that he can spread it while in melee, and I can bomb it. Aren got the scroll because he's a rogue. Asgall gets the potion since he is our tank, for lack of a better person to fill the role. Regarding the mace, I will get a bonus to Poison saves when I get to level 2, and will be immune by level 10. I'm probably the safest man to handle it. Once again, contrary claims are welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Wahad, I can't thank you enough for doing this. I hate the distribution portion of the game, so having it all mathed out like this is really nice for me. Many thanks.

• Locked thread