Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Hello peoples!

I'm making a Cavalier because I love mounted combat rules I hate myself kill me reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
We should have more pooled gold, since I think we've been pooling it for the previous sessions as well. We also haven't spent any since I joined, so we should have 438.3gp total. We've also got some items we can sell, with the potential gold income listed after the item:

Potion of magic fang (25gp)
Potion of delay poison (150gp)
Divine scroll of make whole (75gp)
Divine scroll of bull’s strength (75gp)
Mwk Suit of full plate (825gp)
ring of protection +1 (not selling this, gently caress you (also I didn't even look))
scroll of lightning bolt (187.5gp)
scroll of dispel magic (187.5gp)
wand of mage armour (45 charges) (337.5gp)
Scroll of hideous laughter (75gp)
Wand of disguise self (375gp)

Lagron doesn't have heavy armor proficiency, so if Kalkun wants the plate then it's his by virtue of "can actually equip it". Otherwise we should probably sell it.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
We decided to keep the potion of magic fang, and also it's only 25gp so who cares. That drops us down to 1612.5gp from selling the previous set of items.

Quick Runner's Shirt is interesting and might be worth using on one of the melee combatants. (500gp sell value)

Mwk items I'm going to ignore the base value on the weapons since it's almost zero. The Mwk longsword, light crossbow and fighting fan are worth a total of 450gp to vendor.The mwk light shield is worth ~50gp, and the Mwk chainmail and Mwk banded mail are worth 300gp combined. That's a total of 800gp, rounding it up to 850 from all the base components I ignored.

We got 760gp worth of hard currency. For the moment I'm assuming that people are taking the potions and scrolls, so I won't look them up.

TOTAL:
Quick Runner's Shirt (500gp if sold)
Masterwork Heavy Steel Shield (Kalkun)
3610.8gp
Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds
Potion of Water Breathing
Arcane Scroll of Darkvision
Arcane Scroll of Suggestion

E:

quote:

Also, for the CotSQ game, have any other roles been decided by any of you guys beyond the two characters on Obsidian Portal? Thinking of making a witch, but I want to make sure I don't end up redundant with what someone else wants to play.

I'm not on Obsidian Portal but I'm making a Bow Ranger. Arivia is doing some kind of Sorceress/Wizard/Cleric?, Hashtags is making a Paladin, and I think Wahad is making an Inquisitor. A witch would fit in fine.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Arivia posted:

So Mori asked me a rules question midway through that I wasn't sure of the answer to, and I wanted to check in with you guys that this made sense to you.

This was during the ghoul fight, so Asgall and Kalkun were in melee with the ghast. Kalkun got paralyzed, and Mori's question was if he was flanking the ghast and getting the +2 bonus.

I said no, since the wording of flanking is that you have to be across from someone threatening the monster (and Kalkun wasn't threatening anything, since he was paralyzed and unable to attack.) Does this make sense to you guys, or do you want to see it played the other way?

Answered in IRC but creatures have to be able to threaten an AoO to be counted for flanking, which is spelled out in the example on the SRD. If you're paralyzed, unconscious, or anything else that would stop you from making an opportunity attack, you can't flank. A Good Ruling (tm).

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Given the conversation in IRC about how it just turns out that undead aren't actually crit immune in pathfinder, I'm okay with continuing into the Mountain of Madness.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
There's the level 1 Cleric spell Diagnose Disease, and the level 2 spell Suppress Disease. Which is a lot of spell slots, but it seems like the way you deal with a disease is with a Heal check, which we can probably do during the downtime to see what's what.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
LOOTS!
From last time:

quote:

Masterwork Heavy Steel Shield (Kalkun)
3610.8gp
Quick Runner's Shirt (Kalkun)
Potion of Water Breathing
Arcane Scroll of Darkvision
Arcane Scroll of Suggestion

quote:

726 sp, 134 gp, 5 pp, mwk breastplate, mwk padded armour, mwk alchemical silver starknife, an irregular whorl of glass swirling with glowing blue liquid (potion of darkvision), a small iron boot flask with a drop of blood engraved on it (potion of stabilize, 2 doses), a hollow feather with a cap on one end (potion of fly), a torn-out page from a spellbook (scroll of explosive runes), a stretched-out piece of hide with letters burnt into it (scroll of flame blade), a metal scroll case blackened by flames (scroll of scorching ray), a length of rope threaded with jangly iron medallions (wand of alarm, 25 charges), and a 45 gp piece of sard.

The ghouls were uncovering an armored corpse. On the corpse is mwk splint mail, a cold iron mwk morningstar, and a pouch at its belt contains six ivory dice (30 gp) and a cloudy glass bottle with a stinking black liquid inside (potion of protection from law.)

quote:

Tucked in a corner of the platform is a large wooden shield bound in copper with a sheaf of wheat painted on it in gold (+1 heavy wooden shield) and a 66 gp piece of bloodstone.

Loot from the stairs

Bracers of armour +1 (x2), +1 Light Crossbow

Loot from the fight on the eye:

Bracers of armour +1 (x3)

And you guys found the barbarian's loot at the bottom of the Face. It was left on a large corpse like you expected, but when you took the armour off - wasn't her, yet another rotting corpse. Looks like she escaped to fight another day, although pretty wounded. Her loot:

+1 chain mail, +1 nodachi, boots of the cat, potion of cure moderate wounds

Kalkun also took the Mwk Breastplate that dropped last week, and Hashtags stole 136gp from the common loot pile like the thief he is. That leaves us at 3806.4gp before selling anything we didn't already sell. Selling the non-breastplate mwk items gets us another ~425gp, for a total of 4231.4gp. The 5 (!) Bracers of Armor, which I don't think anyone can or is willing to use except Hashtags who is wearing one, will sell for 2500gp. That brings us up to 6731.4gp.

6731.4gp
+1 Light Crossbow (Tryphon?)
+1 Nodachi (LAGRON BABY)
+1 Chain Mail (600gp)
Boots of the Cat (500gp) (Lagron may take these as a safety blanket if nobody else cares)
+1 Heavy Wooden Shield (550gp)
Scroll of Explosive Runes (100gp)
Scroll of Flame Blade (75gp)
Scroll of Scorching Ray (100gp)
Wand of Alarm (25 charges) (187.5gp)
Potion of Darkvision
Potion of Protection from Law
Potion of Stabilize x2
Potion of Fly

I didn't bother pricing out the potions, since they're fairly inexpensive and we've decided to start hoarding them anyway. I would like to assemble a list of all the random magic potions we have sitting around though, cough Wahad cough, because something like the potion of fly would have been good to know about last session. If anyone wants any of the scrolls, call it out.

It's probably a good idea for us to report back to Argale either way, since getting the diseases cured would be nice, and it'll let us buy another Wand of CLW or similar since I can't imagine we have that many charges left. It's also a good time for people to enchant gear - we have a good bit of money in the common pool even before selling off any more of the loot we got this week, so call out if you want anything in particular. I think Anias can enchant his Mithral to make it not give him a 10% chance to fail any spell, which seems... useful.

RPZip fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 4, 2014

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

quote:

I actually grabbed that morningstar last week as well.

Whoops!

quote:

Am I the only one who uses shields, right? If so, I could use the +1 heavy wooden shield. And it looks like Lagron already has better armor than that +1 chainmail, so I could use that if no one else wants it.

Yeah, all yours I think. Finalized Loot List:

6769gp
+1 Light Crossbow (Tryphon)
+1 Nodachi (Lagron)
+1 Chain Mail (Kalkun)
Boots of the Cat (Lagron)
+1 Heavy Wooden Shield (Kalkun)
Scroll of Explosive Runes (100gp)
Scroll of Flame Blade (75gp)
Scroll of Scorching Ray (100gp)
Potion of Darkvision
Potion of Protection from Law
Potion of Stabilize x2
Potion of Fly

I sold the Wand of Alarm because we're never, ever going to use it, much less 25 charges of it. I figure (?) our Sorc/Witchs can get good use out of the scrolls from UMD, but let me know if neither of you wants them and I'll throw them into the pile.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Lagron and the Philosopher's Eye

Lagron turns to face the prisoner directly, teeth gleaming in the sunset's dying light. "And the king? How is he involved in these plans?"

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Lagron and the Eye of Secrets

Lagron shakes his head and sighs. "Hey, Asgall. 20gp says that the king is involved somehow. And is also an elf, somehow. That's how these things usually seem to play out," he says, turning back to the prisoner. "So where do we find this Armagal? He was the one who teleported away right before the battle and left everyone to die, right?"

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
I'd prefer the megadungeon over the cult - maybe give Argale the heads up and then head back to "gather more intelligence on what they were after" while he gets ready to do a thing.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Lagron and the Prisoner of Keepzabam

Lagron grins. "Of course we did! We are ADVENTURERS. It was an ADVENTURE." He pauses for a moment, scratching his chin thoughtfully. "There were some nasty things down there, too. Death golems of some efficiency, a trapped dragon, and what I'm guessing was the Queen herself. We didn't stick around long enough for a long look there, though, we retreated to find a less... flamboyant entrance to the tomb, the one the Phoenicians were entering. We should head back to get some more information about what exactly they were looking for. Whatever it is, I doubt it's good."

---

Lagron's passive perception is 20. I'm also okay with spending all of our hard earned cash protecting the character who's been attacked once in three sessions.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
I've given feedback in IRC and I'm too lazy to do a full recap. :colbert:

The retraining system is a lot more finicky than our current one, and I agree that without the (also pretty finikcy) downtime system a lot of it is fairly meaningless. I really like the idea for the magic item stuff, contacts seem fine, relationships also seem fine but I dunno how much we want to deal with it, and story feats seem fairly bad because I hate it when you're making those decisions not on "what sounds like fun or something my character would do" and more on "It's mechanically superior for my character to hate ogres than trolls". I think something based on those feats would work great, I'm just not thrilled with the current implementation of them at all.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
We may as well get two, unless I'm missing something or someone has something else they really want that costs less than ~1500gp. Since I think this now means we pay full price for them, that's 1500gp out of the common pool, leaving us as effectively a group of poors again.

Also yeah that's fine I guess, I may have to leave early to pick someone up from the train station but I'm not sure what the deal is.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Lagron and the Goblet of Training Montage

Lagron swung the new sword experimentally, frowning to himself as he practiced in the yard. "This just isn't the same." He swung the sword again, neatly chopping off one of the training dummy's arms, before sighing. "It feels like I should be hitting about 5% more than I am."

The Knights' chief quartermaster, Dolemite, sighed and put down the forms he was looking at. "You're doing it all wrong, lad. This isn't some simple hunk of metal you can use to beat people about with." Lagron took a moment to look down at his big hunk of metal he used to beat people around with, then back to Dolemite. "Kind of looks like one to me, old man. What's the difference between this and my last sword?"

Dolemite scowled and stomped over on his two peg legs, taking the big hunk of metal out of Lagron's hands. He tested the weight, grunting in approval, before turning to the dummy and yelling "Power attack!" as he swung. This time, the dummy practically vanished into splinters. "That there is a mystical eastern weapon, son. To get the full effect, you have to yell the name of the attack every time you swing." Lagron tried it a few times, nodding his approval and showing off his sparkling teeth. "But won't that get old, Dolemite?"

Dolemite shrugged. "Eh, it only lasts until it gets old. I don't make the rules, lad."

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
So I already talked to Arivia about this but putting it out here to the whole group, I was kind of a grumpy jerk on Saturday due to non-game related things and I'm pretty sure I made the game a lot less fun for everyone. There's a difference between "pathfinder.txt lol" and sounding like a bitter tool and I know what side of the line I was on, so sorry guys. :(

Unrelated to the above, Arivia and I were talking about some suggestions to maybe make the Face run smoother in general, and she wanted me to put them up here in nice, pretty text format instead of IRC chat. So!

1) Perception checks. We're exploring, we're obviously looking around, and it slows us down a lot to have people roll their perception every time we enter a room. It also takes some of the fun out of it if you can see what your check was, and figure out if someone else should come look because you just rolled a 2 and you can't see poo poo. You know that there's something you don't know, which means it's not so much a trap as "take another minute for person X to walk forward and roll again". Passive perception, similarly, is also not great for this - we either know that a trap exists or we don't, with every possible permutation.

The way to resolve this and still keep an element of randomness is to have Arivia roll a group perception check (average out the perception values for the group, or maybe average out the top three, then use that + d20) in secret and then just have a list of them in a text file, and use that to determine if we spot whatever horrible monstrosity is waiting for us in the next room. This should speed us up, rather than having us wait around for the "I roll perception" *rolls perception* on every room, and means that as players we genuinely don't know if we're about to get ambushed or not (spoilers, we probably are).

2) Door humping. We end up fighting a lot of these fights within 3 squares of the room entrance just because half the party is still in the corridor, and it just makes the positioning duller than it has to be. If we have one or two people at the door and the rest of the group actually in the room, we should be able to avoid the clumping problems a little. This one isn't so much from a "slow moving tactical standpoint, this is the optimum result" as it is "this will make the game play better so just roll with it", and we'll all move actually into the room as we search for the horrible traps rather than having everyone hang back.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
I like them both I should since I suggested them so I think we should implement them.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
<Arivia> post a thiiiiiiiing
<RPZip> in what
<Arivia> in btb!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

People say that all elves are evil. It's not that this is wrong, exactly. It's just that it's considered impolite to actually come out and say so. Didn't your grandmother teach you anything before her soul was sucked into the great abyss?

Janwen was the dutiful daughter of two Elven parents, who were no more or less abusive than any others. They made sure she had a proper Elvish education before sending her off to the Elven Academy for Necromantic Arts and Sciences, one of the most renowned schools in the realm. Janwen did well in school, as she did at most other things, but what really caught her attention wasn't just the lessons about how to bind the souls of the unwary to your bidding, but also the small group of engineering students at the university who would use that energy in new ways. Instead of using those spirits as monstrous assassins, or curses, or to slither into your enemies beds at night and then make chattering noises (a common Elvish prank), these students were using the bound souls of their ancestors and others to animate machinery.

This seemed like an excellent idea. There were rumors of other creatures constructed along similar lines, far in the past, but Janwen hasn't been able to get the "shadesteel" these legends mentioned to work properly. Nevertheless, she's spent the last few years continually improving the Spirit of Friendly Cooperation and Together Advancement Towards a Brighter Future by Combining Soul Power Through Action (usually shortened to the Spirit of Friendship), her mechanical suit. Janwen hopes to be able to parley the completed suit into a full Professorship at the Elven Academy, and if they deny her application again she's liable to use the administration as fuel for the suit. In the meantime, though, she's been testing the Spirit of Friendship out in the Salt Rise, trying to work out the last few kinks in its soulcatching apparatus, when some jerk went and stole the flower of heebie-majeebies or whatever that stops the barbarian rabble from burning this place to the ground. It should be a simple matter to recover it and then finish her work on the Spirit, which is definitely almost fully ready. Definitely. Very close, at least. Close-ish.

pre:
Name: Janwen Cholrian
Suit Name: Spirit of Friendship
Inverse World Mechanic

STR: 12 (+0)
DEX: 15 (+1)
CON: 13 (+1)
INT: 16 (+2)
WIS:  9 (+0)
CHA:  8 (-1)

Damage: d8
Armor: 0, 1 in suit

Drive: Unfettered Mayhem
Cause great collateral damage and don't even care.

Specialization: Theory and Analysis
You are particularly curious and thorough about analyzing anything put in front of you. When you use Let Me See That, ask
three questions instead of two.

Mechanical Suit (INT)
You have a mechanical suit, unique to you, which only you can operate. When you wear your Mecha Suit, you have 1 armor, and
can use the suit as a weapon with a range of Close. When you Hack & Slash in your suit, roll +INT instead of +STR.
Primary Weapon: Necromantic Energy Cannon - Near, Piercing 2, 2 ammo. When you Make Camp, restock 2-ammo.
Movement: Jumper - Jump incredible heights, and take no damage from controlled falls.
Advanced Systems: Shields - When you Defend in your suit, gain 1 additional hold, even on a 6-.

Hold Together
When you would take damage while you are in your suit, you may negate that damage by marking Stress on your suit. When your
suit takes stress, mark one of the following:
Damaged: Movement Modes are disabled. The suit can still walk normally.
Disabled: Your Shields are disabled. The bonuses do not apply.
Disarmed: Your Primary Weapon is disabled. The suit itself can still be used as a Close weapon.

Let Me See That
When you take a few moments to handle or examine something interesting, ask the GM three of the following questions. The GM must
answer truthfully.
* What does this do?                     * Who made this?
* What's wrong with this, and how might I fix it?
* What has been done most recently with this, or to this?

Gear:
Dungeon Rations (5 uses, 1 wt)
Mecha Suit (8 wt, 0 wt when worn)
Repair Kit (6 uses, slow, 1 wt)
Wrench (hand, 1 wt)
Bag of books (5 uses, 2 wt)
Bandages (3 uses, slow, 0 wt)

• Locked thread