Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy

stats posted:

Name: Kalkun Kärbsed
Race: Grippli
Classes: Cleric
Hit Points: 12
Experience: 0 / 2000
Alignment: Neutral Good
Vision: Darkvision (60 ft.)
Speed: Walk 30 ft., Climb 20 ft.
Languages: Common, Grippli
Stat Score Mod
STR 14 (+2)
DEX 14 (+2)
CON 13 (+1)
INT 10 (+0)
WIS 16 (+3)
CHA 14 (+2)
-------------------------- Skills --------------------------
Skill Total Rnk Stat Msc
Acrobatics 0 0.0 2 -2
Acrobatics (Jump/Underground) 2 0.0 2 0
Appraise 0 0.0 0 0
Bluff 2 0.0 2 0
Climb 8 0.0 2 6
Craft (Untrained) 0 0.0 0 0
Diplomacy 2 0.0 2 0
Disguise 2 0.0 2 0
Escape Artist 0 0.0 2 -2
Fly 2 0.0 2 0
Heal 3 0.0 3 0
Intimidate 2 0.0 2 0
Knowledge (Religion) 4 1.0 0 3
Perception 4 1.0 3 0
Perform (Untrained) 2 0.0 2 0
Ride 0 0.0 2 -2
Sense Motive 7 1.0 3 3
Stealth 4 0.0 2 2
Stealth (In forests) 8 0.0 2 6
Stealth (In marshes) 8 0.0 2 6
Survival 3 0.0 3 0
Survival (Find Food) 5 0.0 3 2
Swim 0 0.0 2 -2

-------------------------- Feats ---------------------------
Toughness
Armor Proficiency, Light
When you wear a type of armor with which you are proficient, the armor check penalty for that armor applies only to Dexterity- and Strength-based skill checks.

Armor Proficiency, Medium
When you wear a type of armor with which you are proficient, the armor check penalty for that armor applies only to Dexterity- and Strength-based skill checks.

Shield Proficiency
When you use a shield (except a tower shield), the shield's armor check penalty only applies to Strength- and Dexterity-based skills.

Simple Weapon Proficiency
-------------------- Special Abilities ---------------------

------------------------ Templates -------------------------

-------------------------- Combat --------------------------
Total / Touch / Flat Footed
AC: 17 / 13 / 15
Initiative: +2
BAB: +0
Melee tohit: +3
Ranged tohit: +3
Fortitude: +3
Reflex: +2
Will: +5
Unarmed attack:
to hit: +3
damage: 1d2+2
critical: 20/x2
Trident (Small):
damage: 1d6+2
special properties: Extra damage when set against a charging character (pg. 144)
Trident (Small/Thrown):
damage: 1d6
range: 10 ft.
special properties: Extra damage when set against a charging character (pg. 144)
--------------------- Special Abilities --------------------

------------------------- Equipment ------------------------
Name QTY LBS
Trident (Small) 1 2lbs Special: Extra damage when set against a charging character (pg. 144)
Chain Shirt (Small) 1 12lbs
Vestments (Cleric's/Small) 1 1lbs
Bedroll (Small) 1 1lbs
Rations (Trail/Per Day) (Small) 4 1lbs
Holy Symbol (Wooden) 1 0lbs
Backpack (Small) (0.5 lbs.)
Spell Component Pouch (2 lbs.)
Total weight carried:
Current load: Light
Encumbrance
Light: 43
Medium: 87
Heavy: 131

Cleric of Swamp Lord (in terms of domains, traits, etc., a reskinned Gozreh)
Domain
Granted Power

Plant
You find solace in the green, can grow defensive thorns, and can communicate with plants.

Water
You can manipulate water and mist and ice, conjure creatures of water, and resist cold.

Traits
Child of Nature (Gozreh) (Knowledge (Nature))
[Paizo Publishing LLC - Advanced Player's Guide, p.333]
You have been blessed by Gozreh to be as comfortable in the wilderness as you are at home. You gain a +2 trait bonus on Survival checks to find food and water, and a +1 trait bonus on Knowledge (nature) checks. One of these skills (your choice) is always a class skill for you.
Devotee of the Green (Knowledge (Nature))
[Paizo Publishing LLC - Advanced Player's Guide, p.328]
Your faith in the natural world or one of the gods of nature makes it easy for you to pick up on related concepts. You gain a +1 trait bonus on Knowledge (Geography) and Knowledge (Nature) checks, and Knowledge (Nature) is always a class skill for you.

other info posted:

Addition to the world: Grippli legend tells of a time when a most of the world was swamp. It was a golden age, and the glorious grippli civilization spread throughout the land. Sadly, strange tall beings began to appear, and with them, the lands became dry, and the waters became clear and sterile. The grippli nearly died off as the world became unlivable to them. Then, on the edge of disaster, a tall, handsome grippli that none recognized showed them how to purify the waters, returning the algae, the mud, and the insects. The grippli were amazed, and as soon as they showed they could follow his example and fortify the remaining swamps, he suddenly vanished in a flash of light. Stunned, they realized that he must have been a god, and not knowing his name, started worshiping him as the Swamp Lord.

Now, grippli have stable populations in various wetlands on the borders of the empire. They consider themselves the last bastions of civilization, feeling pity for those "barbarians" who have to live on the Drylands. To everyone else, they're those weird primitive creatures who live in the shitholes no one else wants to get near. Those outsiders who hear the tales of an old grippli civilization find it preposterous, as it clearly contradicts historical and geographical fact. Still, on occasion grippli traders offer seemingly antique items of exquisite workmanship that are unlike anything from a known civilization.

Character: Kalkun's village is one of the many largely independent grippli villages that dot the wetlands of the empire. His particular village has a temple that used to house the Holy Trident of the Swamp Lord, claimed to be the personal weapon of the god himself, until it was stolen around two hundred years ago. Since then, once a decade, the village elders chose one of their own to go on a quest to retrieve it. After so many failed tries, they really don't expect anyone to recover it anymore, and it's become more of a pilgrimage and a way for the isolated village to get news and information about the outside world.

Feeling that his friendly demeanor would keep him out of trouble, his strength and dexterity preserve him if that should fail, and his impressive faith guide him no matter what happens, the elders chose Kalkun for the quest this year, and he gladly accepted the appointment. Kalkun is optimistic in general, to the point where he seriously believes that he's actually going to complete his quest. He dreams of becoming a hero both to his own people and to the world at large. Having never left the wetlands before, he's naive about the ways of those who live outside of it and may be too trusting of them. He's light green, about two feet tall, his armor and weapon are of the strange make that grippli seem to be able to come up with, and his holy symbol is a vial of algae from the spot where the Swamp Lord vanished.

Around a year before he set out, Kalkun was out near the edge of the swamps when he spotted a strange tall red thing searching the reeds for something. He observed it for a few moments, then, deciding that the creature didn't seem hostile, Kalkun jumped forward with a friendly greeting. The thing was startled, then seemed to get annoyed with Kalkun's continued attempts at conversation. However, after Kalkun figured out what it was looking for and procured several almost immediately, the thing seemed a lot more interested in the grippli. Soon, Kalkun learned Tryphon's name, and the two became much more friendly with each other. Kalkun loved hearing about the outside world he'd never seen, but sadly, his duties at the time required him to stay in the swamp, so after Tryphon was finally done with the swamp, the two had to part ways.

When Kalkun was sent on his quest, he used the information Tryphon gave him to find his way to a nearby town. Unfortunately, no one seemed to have heard of the Holy Trident, and the villagers seemed to find him strange in general. He stayed there for a few days, trying to figure out where to go next, when two travelers entered the village. The weapons of the shorter one in particular made them stand out and arouse the suspicion of the townfolk. Curious and already protective of the town he barely spent time in, Kalkun decided to keep an eye on them, quietly following them when they left town the next day. However, much to his surprise, the two were set upon by bandits. Kalkun immediately threw his trident at one of them and charged into battle. Of course, it turned out that the other two could have probably handled it themselves, and Kalkun just made the victory that much easier. In the conversation afterward, Ipomea revealed her pilgrimage, and Kalkun insisted on joining them, being pretty sure that no one from his tribe had checked much of the Heartwood yet. The two figured that he seemed useful enough, so they let him tag along for the moment.

Gao fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
My account name there is Fel_Temp_Reparatio.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005

Fiend Computer posted:

I'll take that as our worlds version of Montezuma's Revenge.

And here I was assuming that you were afflicted with uncontrollable breath weapon sneezes.

So was that it for our in game day, or is there more planned before we get a night's rest?

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
Since we're keeping Fiend Computer in step with everyone else, I'm thinking we should probably sell the gems and split all the currency we have 6 ways, with the rest of the items going to whoever can use them best (at the moment, Kalkun's carrying the oil of purify food and drink and potion of virtue, but I can give them to someone else if they want them). I remember that Tryphon made a point to grab the gold dust, so if that has a way of using that for something, I'm fine with just letting him have it. Does that work for everyone?

Edit: Looks like Wahad has the same idea.

And since we're going to have a rest, are there any spells you guys would like me to have Kalkun memorize for our next session? I found that two of Kalkun's cantrips were the same as ones that Ipomea had, and I figured that we should coordinate to be less redundant. In addition to the regular cleric spell list, I also have either Entangle or Obscuring Mist for my first level domain slot.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005

Anias posted:

If you want to cover read magic, that would be helpful since I don't plan on taking it soon. Similarly if you can memorize light - I can do dancing lights twice a day for checking high corners and such, and I have low light vision so I took spark instead. Eventually I think we'll both have enough cantrips known that it won't matter much. I think I'll learn Ghost Sound, Mending, Message as my next 3 but that's levels away, if you want to cover one or all of those feel free. For easy reference I have Acid Splash (my usual attack), Spark (Fire is handy), Prestidigitation (You aren't a sorceress if you can't make an animated mop), and Detect Magic (too good not to take, doubling up on this is completely ok). Both of your domain spells are amazing. I think I'd memorize entangle for stuff above ground, and mist below, but that's entirely up to you.

I think I'll memorize Guidance, Read Magic, and light for my cantrips right now then unless someone has a better idea, and I'll probably stick with Bless and Magic Weapon for level 1 stuff. If we're going to be encountering more goblins controlled by goblin snakes again soon, I'm think that Obscuring Mist might be a good way to make any outlying goblins less of a threat while we get into melee with a snake, hopefully allowing us to free them with minimal goblin casualties if the snake's influence drops upon its death.

And assuming we can find someone in town to make change, we could divide the remaining five gold up into 83 copper a person, with a remainder of 2 copper, which would get us each a new total of

50 GP
69 SP
237 CP

with a spare 5cp.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
Might as well role play for the two things I want right now.

Arivia posted:

The Crow's Fine Goods

Finding Heartwood's general store (for weapons, armor, and other needs) is simple - it's the only place on the main street hanging a shingle. Even if it wasn't, it would stand out for miles - the store's wooden walls are seemingly randomly studded with glass and huge mirrored panes of silvered metal, which has the side-effect of almost blinding you as you step into the store proper. Inside, however, the shop is clean and tidy, as evinced by the small robed creature sweeping the floor just as you enter. It turns and squawks. "Customers!" Rushing behind the counter and pulling down its hood, you find yourself facing a bird-man, black like a crow. It's a tengu, one of a mercantile race common across Sakara: folk tales say they got into business just because it got them more shiny things to hoard. "Hello customers! What would you like to buy?!"

"Hi, nice to meet you!" Kalkun walks over to shake the tengu's hand (wing?). "I was just thinking that maybe I could use some more protection." He walks over to the shields and picks up one taller than him and starts to examine it. "Something like this."

quote:

The Abjured Wasp

Heartwood's magic shop is not easy to find. It turns out to be a pair of cellar doors just behind the Fearsome House, and it's only identifiable by the crudely written sign that says "WIZARD HEYRE." Well, that and the reek of incense that comes blasting out when you open the doors. Descending the narrow staircase puts you in a tiny room filled to bursting - shelves and tables are covered in bottles filled with alien horns, strange dusts, or just heaping piles of scrolls. A tall pedestal bears a leather book - which is chained to the pedestal and to rings set in the stone floor. The small counter is almost lost behind a coat-rack carrying wizard robes, a pair of boots hung upside down (and with their pointed heels dangerously close to eye-level), and a pair of fishing nets (???). Stuck behind it is an aged wizard wearing a robe so ragged you think he might have been born in it. He's sitting on a chair, and rocking something back and forth in his arms - a marionette? Yes, a marionette, faded paint where a shirt and hair and pants once were, now closer to raw wood. "Ey," he says. "You say there's someone here? Well I can't see them, you tell me! No, you tell me, I ain't playin' no games!" The wizard puts one of his hands out of his face and makes a grabbing motion. It's not until he's fully stuck it in the marionette and turned its head to face you that you realize he has just removed his glass eye and put it in the puppet. "Oh, it's an adventurer, ey? Well what do they want, ey?"

While that display may have disturbed anyone else with him, Kalkun's attention is drawn by the coat rack. "Wow, I didn't think you Drylanders would have any of these!" He reaches up and starts examining one of the fishing nets. "I lost mine when I tried to catch one of those...what do you call'em...deer things with it. It got caught in the thing's antler, and he just ran off with it."

Gao
Aug 14, 2005

Arivia posted:

The Crow's Fine Goods

"Oh no no no no." The tengu almost runs from out from behind the counter, pulling the tall shield from your hands and propping it back up. "Far, far too large for you. You'd just hurt yourself. And I imagine that wasn't your goal with the goblins - it was goblins wasn't it, all the terrors of the world just blend together, empires here and dangers there - you want something to stop the goblins, not make it easier!" The tengu turns to another rack of shields and pulls out a large burnished steel disk - a simple large round shield, no frills or fuss. "This! This is what you want, my friend. Look: easy enough to carry, large enough to block a goblin and those awful dogs they have, and it even shines like all good things do!"

"Well it certainly is shiny," Kalkun says as he looks it over. He mounts it on his arm and moves it around a bit, feeling its weight, finding it a bit lighter than he expected. "I like. How much is it?"

quote:

The Abjured Wasp

"Hahahaha." The wizard laughs, a high-pitched offputting squeal that seems to come from the doll and not the man. "I don't think you want that net, frog. You've heard of a nereid, haven't you? Nasty little things, girls with crushes on sailors and worse: they sing songs and get a man underwater, then drown him and eat his soul right up. A man with no soul is gone forever, not right not right...so unless you're planning on talking to pretty women in places you shouldn't be talking to, you don't need that net. That net just catches souls."

Kalkun releases the net and backs away slowly. "Yeah, I don't think that's for me." He turns back towards the wizard. "I don't suppose you'd know where I can get a more normal net of this sort, do you?"

Gao
Aug 14, 2005

Arivia posted:

The Crow's Fine Goods

"For you, only twenty - that's two tens - gold! For a shield as good as any you'll find in the elven Empire. What do you say?!"

"I say we have a deal, bud!" Kalkun hands him the gold and promptly runs off to show off his new equipment to his friends.

quote:

The Abjured Wasp

"Hmph, well...the other net there is good for fishing. 50 gold for it, and it'll catch you mountain carp until your bucket's full and your belly too. Or I have a not-so-good one in the back...no great quality, but it'll catch a fish if you know how to. 5 gold for that one."

"Well that sounds pretty good." Kalkun pauses for a moment, thinking. "But you Drylanders always seem to come up with crazy ways to adapt things to your needs. Is this sort of net the best thing to trip up, say, a goblin, or have you guys invented other kinds of nets?"

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
Looks like I'm going to be busy tomorrow. I'll see you guys next week.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
Looks like I'll be able to participate tomorrow if you want to run something then.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
Yeah, if you're not up to it, then it's best to wait. See you next Saturday.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
I wouldn't mind trying voice, though I'm not entirely sure how good the microphone built into my laptop is.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
Tomorrow works for me.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
Don't worry about it. See you guys next week.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
I think the 3/5 thing is generally a good idea. Since Anias is out today, is it possible we could do this tomorrow, or is someone else busy then?

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
Regular time works for me. Hopefully it works for everyone else.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
Well I'm going to be busy this Saturday. Any chance we can do this Sunday at the usual time instead?

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
Sunday would work for me.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005

Arivia posted:

Ack! Sorry for the late notice, but no game today. One last, final complication from the electrical work. At least it's finally done, so there shouldn't be a problem in the future.

Don't worry about it. Been having contractor issues myself. Haven't had a working shower in nearly a week.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
Not going to be able to make it Saturday. I'd be free Sunday if people want to move it.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
Honestly, I wouldn't care if you start pulling stuff from Shadowrun if you thought it'd work. Use whatever you think would be interesting.

Gao fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 11, 2013

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
Unfortunately, I won't be available tomorrow. Go ahead and do it without me if people are available.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
Look like I probably won't be able to make it tomorrow. Go ahead and play if you guys are able.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
I'll be celebrating Christmas with my family a bit early this Saturday, so I won't be at the next game.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
Sunday works for me.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Sagan and I haven't been tracking gold and we both agree to agree that we should maybe community chest it?

That would work for me. Haven't kept track since I gave all my money to those goblins myself.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005

RPZip posted:

Lagron doesn't have heavy armor proficiency, so if Kalkun wants the plate then it's his by virtue of "can actually equip it". Otherwise we should probably sell it.

Actually, Pathfinder clerics only get light and medium armor proficiencies. We should sell it.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005

Arivia posted:

mwk heavy steel shield

I'll take this unless someone else really wants it. Nothing else here I can use right now that I feel like I need.

Also, for the CotSQ game, have any other roles been decided by any of you guys beyond the two characters on Obsidian Portal? Thinking of making a witch, but I want to make sure I don't end up redundant with what someone else wants to play.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
All the armor is sized for medium creatures, right? Figured I'd double check. Also, unless someone else really wants it, I'd like to use the morningstar.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005

Arivia posted:

I keep forgetting to roll that. If you grab a suit of armor, just say it's Small. No need for you to be penalized by my omission.

I guess I'll be taking the masterwork breastplate unless someone else really wants it then.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
I'm pretty much up for anything, though I am a bit concerned with finding a cure for the disease Kalkun and Asgall currently have. Really don't want that getting much worse.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
I actually grabbed that morningstar last week as well. Am I the only one who uses shields, right? If so, I could use the +1 heavy wooden shield. And it looks like Lagron already has better armor than that +1 chainmail, so I could use that if no one else wants it.

quote:

It's probably a good idea for us to report back to Argale either way, since getting the diseases cured would be nice, and it'll let us buy another Wand of CLW or similar since I can't imagine we have that many charges left. It's also a good time for people to enchant gear - we have a good bit of money in the common pool even before selling off any more of the loot we got this week, so call out if you want anything in particular. I think Anias can enchant his Mithral to make it not give him a 10% chance to fail any spell, which seems... useful.
Yeah, this is probably the best idea. I'm also starting to lean towards going back to the face afterwards, but I'm open for either option.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005

RPZip posted:

I'd prefer the megadungeon over the cult - maybe give Argale the heads up and then head back to "gather more intelligence on what they were after" while he gets ready to do a thing.

This.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
Either works for me as well.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
Fine with me.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
They sound good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gao
Aug 14, 2005

The Bentley family has been the home of mayors, bankers, and minor nobility in various parts of The Wood's Grace for generations. Their reputation as shrewd business people, good leaders, and smooth talkers is mostly well deserved. So you can imagine the frustration of Rupert and Margaret Bentley as they found their daughter far more interested in picking fights with other children, often much larger than her, than any sort of education. They'd hoped that fencing lessons would at least focus her talents in a more appropriate direction for someone of her standing, but it was so hard to get her to care about the rules or honor when she got into a fight.

When Ness came of age, her parents used some connections to get her a job in the city watch in Selnar, figuring that she might at least make some good connections there and maybe work that need for violence out of her system. Ness was just pleased that she was now getting paid to bash people's faces in. It wasn't as often as she liked, but there was enough criminal activity in the city and bandit activity just outside of it to keep her satisfied.

This worked for a few years, but more and more people started getting into this new religion. Something about a phoenix and resurrection or some nonsense. Ness didn't really care about the details, and, particularly when drunk, would make crude jokes about “that drat fire chicken or whatever.” This got a colder and colder response over time, coming to a head one drunken, half remembered night where a brawl broke out, and somehow a couple of Phoenicians ended up dead. She woke up at the house of a friend, who warned her that she needed to get far away and fast. She wandered around doing paid odd jobs, eventually ending up in Salt Rise.

Ness is blunt and sees little value in complex etiquette or drawn out talks if the swing of a sword would solve the problem faster. She loves a good fight, but is uninteresting in bullying the weak, if only because there's no challenge.

quote:

Name: Vanessa “Ness” Bentley III
Core Rulebook Fighter

STR: 16 +2
DEX: 13 +1
CON: 15 +1
INT: 8 -1
WIS: 9 +0
CHA: 12 +0

Armor: 3
Damage: d10+1
HP: 25

Look: Hard Eyes, Shorn Hair, Calloused Skin, Built Body

Alignment: Neutral

Race: Human
Once per battle you may reroll a single damage roll (yours or someone else’s).

Bend Bars, Lift Gates
When you use pure strength to destroy an inanimate obstacle, roll+Str. ✴On a 10+, choose
3. ✴On a 7-9 choose 2.
•  It doesn’t take a very long time
•  Nothing of value is damaged
•  It doesn’t make an inordinate amount of noise
•  You can fix the thing again without a lot of effort
Armored
You ignore the clumsy tag on armor you wear.

Signature Weapon: A giant sword with various spiky do-dads welded to it with seemingly little rhyme or reason. (sword, hooks and spikes [+1 damage, +1 weight], huge [messy and forceful], sinister)

Gear:
Scale armor (2 armor, 3 weight)
Shield (+1 armor, 2 weight)
Hideous sword (3 weight)
Rations (5 uses, 1 weight)
2 Healing potions

Load: 9/14

Gao fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 2, 2014

• Locked thread