Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
I only know the major songs / albums of GBV that were already posted but I have a roommate who's obsessed with them so I always get to hear random cool poo poo. The Ted Leo story rules and makes me like them way more. Fighting is cool.

Also, author Dennis Cooper is a big GBV fan and incorporated their songs into his novel Guide, and his short story collection Ugly Man has a Top 50 list of Pollard songs at the end. There's a blog somewhere where someone found all the GBV lyrics in Guide and linked the songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
As someone who is a passing enjoyer of GBV but also a huge Mountain Goats fan (and harsh noise head) I will say that hyper-prolificity doesn't bother me at all. I enjoy watching someone just spill out material and see how their obsessions come through. I'm always in awe of people who can do this stuff semi-automatically in a way. I just don't have that concern for big, novelistic "great albums" but I know some people do and that's cool too. With GBV I enjoyed borrowing my friend's box sets and hearing tons of random stuff.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

Twee as gently caress posted:

I'm also a huge Mountain Goats fan, and I mulled doing a thread similar to this one, but I don't know if there are enough people who would be interested in discussing them frankly.

Darnielle might not be as bad as Robert, but man does he put out a lot of material

Yeah if he had kept up with the rate of his first few he'd be up to pollard levels now haha. He only has about 3-400 songs though, not 1600...! But I would definitely post huge dissertations about the quetzalcoatl series and minutiae like that in a MtnGts thread if you started one. :)

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
Listening to Alien Lanes and the line "I speak in monotone, leave my loving life alone" from As We Go Up We Go Down is just ruling me right now.

Love that this thread's a debate about what alcohol to drink to listen to the band of notorious alcoholics. Best thread in NMD.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

quote:

I am finishing the OP and hopefully it's going to be ready tonight

Isorta stole yr thunder and posted one yesterday, it's already on the 2nd page ha.

• Locked thread