Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
A new week, a new Guided by Voices album is released. English Little League is coming out tomorrow!

Why should I care?

As the title of this thread says, Guided by Voices' frontman Robert Pollard is the king of Indie Rock. This is not hyperbole, from the 80s until today, there is no single band who had more impact on the Indie Rock/Lo-Fi scene as this band. Sadly, due to their very extensive discography, they are easy to ignore unless properly introduced. I mean, where to start? A common 'joke' amongst fans is that they release a new album every couple of weeks. I say joke, but that's not so far from the truth. Let's start from the beginning:

The History of Guided by Voices

GbV was formed around Robert Pollard in Dayton Ohio in the very early 80s. They would mostly play local shows and to family and friends, and the lineup would always vary, depending on who was ready to play shows or to come in on short notice for a recording session in studio. They had a string of releases (6 albums and 3 EPs) from 1983 to 1993. They would usually end up pressing only a few hundred copies that would be distributed to friends and family. In the early 90s, due to pressure from his family and his teaching job, he almost quit music altogether. In 1992 he decided to give it a last shot, and ended up making the album Propeller, which started to play in regular rotation at college rock stations.

By 1993, the band had consolidated into what is now known as the 'classic line-up'. Robert Pollard as frontman and guitarist, flanked by Tobin Sprout and Mitch Mitchell on guitars as well, Greg Demos on the bass, and drummer Kevin Fennell. They ditched recording in studios as a waste of money and started to record everything at home with a very lo-fi sound. In 1993 they recorded and released one album and two EPs, and finally started getting national recognition.

In 1994, they signed on with Matador, and the music scene would forever be changed with the release of Bee Thousand. It's quite possibly the most important Indie album of the last 30 years. In the following 10 years, they would release 10 albums, 11 EPs, 2 split EPs, a string of singles and split singles, and four massive box sets (18 cds + 1 dvd) of demos and outtakes and live songs and whatever else Robert had going on at the time.

In 2004, he decided to have one last tour and to call it off. It all culminated in two final shows at the Metro in Chicago. The final show is something of a legend, with a bar on stage, four hour long with a 63 song set list and many shenanigans going on. That Pitchfork article and others about this show are definitely worth reading, even if you've never heard of the band before.

Pollard then continued his own solo album. Oh yeah because he was not only releasing material with GbV during that time, he also had a solo career! Yeah, between 1996 and GBV's break-up, he released 4 albums and 4 EPs. After the break-up, he poured all of his effort on his solo career and, between 2005 and 2012, he released 14 albums and 8 EPs. Oh and of course, if you want to include his side-projects with other artists, you have to add another 29 other albums released in 13 years.

As a side note, I am a huge fan and I try to buy and listen to everything that Pollard releases, and while writing this I just discovered about 4 albums I had never heard of. jesus christ.

In 2011, Pollard announced that he was reuniting the 1993-1996 classic line-up for a series of reunion shows. Being Pollard, they also immediately started recording albums, and in 2012 they released 3 albums and an EP, and today release their first album of 2013 entitled English Little League. Oh yeah and while they were broken up he also released 5 compilation albums of GbV material and another 4 disc boxset because, why the gently caress not?

If you have not been keeping track, that means that Pollard, since 1986, has released:

- 67 LPs
- 28 EPs
- 12 split EPs and singles
- 5 boxsets of various material for a total of 22 cds + 1 dvd

All in all, Robert Pollard has written/co-written and recorded over a 1,600 songs. Yes, you read that right. If only we could replace the television with a record player: :tviv:

That's a terrifying amount of material. Where to start?
(you can skip to the second post for a few samples then come back here if you prefer)

Not only has he written a scary amount of material, but he also has written a lot of material that is hard to approach on a first listen. Thankfully, in 2003, a compilation album called 'Human Amusement at Hourly Rates' came out. It is a perfect album, and everyone should own it. It takes some of the bests tracks (it'd need to be a 5 cd compilation to include all the best GbV tracks) and weeds out those that are not as vital. And lucky for you, it's $9.99 on iTunes for 32 songs!
It's a steal, you should get it right away.

Once you are done with this one, the next obvious step is to move on to Bee Thousand, the 1994 classic that catapulted them on top of the indie scene.

After that, 1996 Under the Bushes, Under the Stars seems like a logical progression, as it was also written and recorded with the classic line-up and considered one of their best albums to date. I might personally prefer 'Alien Lanes' over this one, but somehow most people I talked to seem to prefer this one over it.

Do The Collapse was both a return to form of early GbV and a break from their 90s songs. It features a rich production, great songs that are a bit more 'radio-friendly' and although received with a bit of resistance from fans, everyone has come to realize just how great that album is

After that, I would suggest going all the way back to 1986's Forever Since Breakfast and go up from there. Personally, it's one of my all-time favorite GbV releases, and I never get tired of listening to it. In fact I went through it twice while writing this OP.

Funnily enough, Robert Pollard has mostly dismissed it as 'sterile', but I think he's just pissed that so many people said he sounded a bit like he was trying to ape R.E.M.'s Murmur by moments

So, what are you waiting for? You've got a shitload of records to go through!

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Game of Pricks off Alien Lane (Actually the 7" version from an EP)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLINRoC4f1k

'I Am a Scientist' off Bee Thousand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN9x6zckn18

Glad Girls off Isolation Drill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZsi9uEOJLg

Hold on Hope off Hold on Hope EP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms2x7hVqghs

Back to the Lake off Universal Truths and Cycles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0fbR-7Y6Xo

Surgical Focus off Do the Collapse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvxXHdicSqs

For an idea of their more recent sound:
'Class Clown Spots a UFO' from the album of the same name (2012)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVF_q1ZbU-4

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 29, 2013

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
As I wrote in the OP, I agree with you but most people seem to think you should skip it and go for UTBUTS instead for some reason. I think this is ridiculous.

I also completely agree with his 30 second songs and such being a way to clear his head for some of his more pop songs. In fact I'd go as far as saying that Robert Pollard is one of the best 'pop' artist there is out there, just based on those songs. He can write a catchy melody with great lyrics like few others. There's also his very rock aspect that is just as great, and the experimental tracks. Listening to Skin Parade off of UT&C and I really just love that track and the ending with the distortion and just screaming in the microphone.

It's sad that being too prolific is what has kept Robert Pollard from being the king of music period.

If you scoured his 67 albums, 28 EPs and all his best singles/rarities/outtakes and made, say, 10 perfect albums I am sure he would be one of the biggest names in music in the last 30 years.

Someone like him should at least be on a Bowie level of stardom.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Just got my copy, going to pop it in. I'm so excited :haw:

The Read Menace posted:

He smokes like a chimney!

Surely you've heard of the 'heater' incident, right?

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

The Read Menace posted:

I have not. Details?

The Story of How Ted Leo Learned 'You Don't gently caress with Guided by Voices'

Tis was but an ordinary night in the very early 2000s when GbV was playing at some gig with a few other bands opening for them. The last opening band was Ted Leo and his Pharmacists. Back then, Ted Leo was a very very serious man, and decided he deserved longer time on stage. Robert Pollard was annoyed and, as they took the stage, sarcastically commented 'We'd like to thank the opening band for cutting into our set'. Ted Leo got really pissed at the disrespect.

Instead of respecting his Indie Rock Elders as he should have, he decided he was having none of it and waited around the end of the show. As they were ending their set, Ted Leo, his brother and a few Pharmacists approached him backstage. He started to argue with Pollard, and pushed him. After all, what would a bunch of guys in their late 40s going to do to a punkish band in their 20s? The answer was: kick their asses.

Pollard told him to gently caress off and Ted sucker punched him in the face. Nate Farley, who was obviously smoking at the moment, took his lit cigarette, put it inbetween his knuckles and punched Ted Leo in the face. This is what is referred to as a 'heater'. The rest of the band who was there, Pollard included, proceeded to kicked the crap out of Ted, his brother and some of the Pharmacists who joined the brawl, then left.

The cops were called, and Nate Farley took his girl, ran around the corner then sat on a bench and made out with her as the cops ran by. Then they got in their van and got drunk some more on the way to their hotel.

Since then Ted Leo has apologized for his behavior, covered GbV and praised Pollard in interviews quite a few times.

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 30, 2013

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
First impressions of English Little League so far:

Both Xeno Pariah and Know Me as Heavy are really good, but kind of melted into each others as I was listening to them. For me, the first stand out track was Islands (She Talks in Rainbows). I really dug the restraint, for a lack of a better world. Not slow, but not fast, a bit of fuzz and distortion, but not too much. Vocals were not too omnipresent. I thought it kind of feels like a 60s Rock Song numbed by valium, if that makes any sense.

I thought the next three tracks are a bit forgettable, but Noble Insect is very good once you get over some of the.. laziest Pollard lyrics I think I've heard. Repeating over and over again 'Japan Japan Japan friction in Japan' and 'Some birds are blue, the grass is green' is weirdly hypnotic, but also just kind of plain weird.

I'm really liking it so far. It feels very cohesive, though it seems to not necessarily have the highs of either Factory or Class Clown.

Then again any Robert Pollard album has to be listened to three or four times before you even start absorbing it in its entirety.

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 30, 2013

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Doctor Cave posted:

Guided By Voices are my favourite band. I have most of their releases on vinyl (including singles) except for their super expensive early stuff (though I do have an original Sandbox). Bee Thousand is my favourite album, with the classic period of Propeller to Under the Bushes being pure gold. Though I love it all really. I've barely poked my toe into Pollards non-GBV stuff, as there is just. so. much. of it. It is something I'm planning on eventually! I have never seen them live as they have only come to Australia once and that was in like 2000. Please come back Bob!

I got English Little League in the mail last night, looking forward to playing it soon!

Keeping up with Pollard is like a full time job. I listened to ELL, I have yet to give Down by the Race Track a spin, I have a backlog of like 20 solo/collaboration RP to buy/go through.

Oh and even GbV, I have yet to give Suitcase 3 a spin, because that's an extra 100 songs.

He's been active musically and he's been releasing on average 80 songs a year. That's the equivalent of a new 12 songs record every 2 months :suicide:

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Chocolate Boy is a pretty great single, and yeah i think a lot of the greatest GbV songs is when they just strip away everything else and just concentrate on creating a melody. They are some of the best songsmiths around, I have no doubt. On their good days anyway. Tobin Sprout in GbV is like a marriage made in heaven too.

You have so many bands who have reunited in the last 5 years or so, from the Smashing Pumpkins to New Order, the list just goes on and on. Most of them feel like they are just pale shadows at best of their former selves.

The only band that has reunited and feels as strong as ever is GbV.

Human Amusements is great but I think I prefer the Hardcore UFOs which has a couple of alternate tracks and, more importantly, has the tracks in chronological order. It's very interesting to see the progression of their greatest tracks.

And please, don't apologize, your input is greatly appreciated! I think one of the things all of us really into GbV should be doing is to try and brace ourselves to go through all of RP's solo material and side projects, that could be fun.

Also: What do you think about 'Forever Since Breakfast'? Epi doesn't seem to be a fan, I love it to bits. Yourself?

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

juniperjones posted:

All respect for all parties involved lost. What an embarrassing story.

I own all of Ted Leo's records as well, and seen him live a couple of times, so this is not coming from a fanboy's heart:

GbV* did nothing wrong in the confrontation.

- Everyone at the show were there to see GbV, Ted Leo was a nobody at that point while GbV had been playing for almost 20 years at that time, and were superstars in the Indie scene
- Ted Leo and his band played a good 20+ minutes than they were supposed to
- Guided by Voices had to stop playing by a certain time, and they felt that since they had to cut their set by almost a fourth, their fans had been robbed since they'd paid to see them
- All Pollard did was a sarcastic 'Thanks for cutting into our set, guys' before playing their show

On the other hand:

- Ted and his brother decided to stick around for nearly an hour and a half to give them poo poo
- Give them poo poo for pointing out they were an opening band who had decided to play extra and take from their set when no one was there to see them
- He pushed a man in his late 40s after accosting him
- When Robert Pollard tried to get away, he sucker-punched him.

Now you can go ahead and say that Nate went too far with the heater, and I'm not going to disagree, but here you have a bunch of guys in their 20s waiting around and getting ready to assault people in their late 40s even after they were just leaving and wanted nothign to do with them. Then sucker-punched one of them and almost knocked him out. What were they supposed to do? Not fight back and let them stomp on Robert?

I don't see how you could lose respect for Guided by Voices as a whole for this. Nate, possibly, but what the gently caress did the rest of the band do that was wrong? Especially when Ted himself came out and said it was all his fault and apologized for this and said he was very ashamed of his behavior?

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

drasticactions posted:

When I have some spare cash, I'll go to GBV Digital and just buy a random Pollard album. You'll usually end up with a bunch of filler, but also get one or two gems that make it all worth it.

Speaking of Pollard side-projects, I really liked the last Lifeguards album too. It's worth checking out.

I got a copy of Bee Thousand at a GoodWill years ago, and after I finished listening to it I was hooked. I started to get as much GBV stuff as I could. From the lo-fi classic lineup, to their power-pop major albums, they are fantastic. Hell, for one of my Japanese classes a few years back, I got to give a speech about them to my class. It was both awesome and awkward for most of my classmates, who had never heard of them. I uploaded the PowerPoint to my skydrive.

Although I will disagree with the OP about Do The Collapse. To me, Ric Ocasek's production made that album way too sterile, and I hate the keyboards they used. I'm fine with the cleaned up production, but I would rather go with Isolation Drills instead. It's a lot stronger. Also, the video for Glad Girls is pretty cool.

Oh yeah I should add GBV Digital to the OP, such a great resource. I really liked the Lifeguards album too. Did you give that presentation in Japan or State-side?

As a thread, we should come up with lists of tracks to check out on those smaller releases, or the huge amount of outtakes/etc on stuff like Suitcase and Hardcore UFOs. I mean, just for Suitcase 1 to 3, it's 300 songs and frankly a lot of that material (on the third one anyway) feels like Bob just got drunk and had the tape rolling and stuff happened.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Fakeedit:^^^ I love the fact that, when asked in an interview 'So why did you just sit down on that bench and started to make out with that girl instead of, you know, running away from the cops', Nate's answer was 'Well, I watch a lot of movies and it always works'

drasticactions posted:

New Pollard track on StereoGum. Sounds pretty good, especially considering English Little league came out just last week and we're already on a new Pollard solo album.

Of course Robert Pollard is set to release a new album in two months. After all, how could GBV fans could survive without him releasing six albums and one EP in a year and a half?

That track is pretty good, too.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

precision posted:

or the fact that Alien Sex Fiend loving drugged and tried to rape a couple girls I know a decade ago.

Wait, what? Got more details? :stare:

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
RME, seriously go and buy 'Human Amusement at Hourly Rates' you will all thank us later.

:10bux: for 32 awesome songs.

Never heard that cover, I'll give it a spin.

oh, and precision, yeah that makes a lot more sense, cause ASF are a married couple, so that story would have been even more :stare: than it already was.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

RME posted:

I got Alien Lanes and Bee Thousand a while ago with the intention of listening to them, but they kind of just got lost in backlog. Also I'm not really a fan of greatest hits albums for anyone on the whole either.

I usually hate Greatest Hits albums, but they have hundreds of songs out so it's nice to be able to go and get all the greatest in one cd, as I said in the OP.

Heck, I own all of their albums and boxsets and I still listen to Human Amusement regularly

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Awesome, so we have two who are down in terms of looking at all the EPs and RP's solo stuff/collaborations. Who else wants to throw in? I'd say we'd need like 5 or 6 people to do it in a reasonable time-frame.

PopZeus posted:

Here's a nifty link for the OP: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Au6N9sndaL9zdHRRMHNhMzkxWlVaRFVqTzlyTjBoX0E#gid=0

It's the "Alpha/Omega" of Pollard's discography, a no-repeats playlist. I've listened to 136 of them so far and I'm still plugging away.

This is awesome I will definitely add this to the OP at some point, as well as add Alien Lanes because people agree its a must for new listeners, and maybe swap Do the Collapse with Isolation Drill, even though I think that at least 4 of thoe DtC tracks are absolute must and it gives an overall good idea of more modern GbV sound.

quote:

It really bugs me though when people complain that Bob puts out "too much material" or that he needs an editor. Why does it bother people so much that someone who loves to make music, makes music? Who is it hurting? The fans aren't required to buy or even enjoy anything put out. If anything, Pollard assumes the greatest risk by possibly damaging his reputation if he puts out tons of crap (Hint: He doesn't.(Second hint: OK, maybe he has a few times, but it's way outweighed by the good)). In my mind, he's living as a true artist: in a constant state of creation and creativity. I wish I had his work ethic. At the end of the day he makes music for himself, and I love that.

Oh I agree, I personally don't complain, the only thing is that, as I said, it's pretty much a full-time job just to keep up with Pollard, and it can be pretty scary for someone who wants to get into him when he realizes that he has literally 1,600 songs out there.

I mean:

quote:

EDIT: Also, check out the tentative release schedule for the rest of the year:

July 1st - Robert Pollard: Honey Locust Honky Tonk LP
July 1st - Teenage Guitar: Force Fields At Home LP
September - Circus Devils: When Machines Attack LP (with new Circus Devils T shirt)
Late 2013 - Eat 10
January 2014 - Robert Pollard: Blazing Gentleman LP

:stare:

Glug_Glug posted:

Thanks for making this thread, Twee. I hadn't heard of them(I know), so I looked them up on spotify and have been listening to them ever since. I've been listening to Aerial Nostalgia through Mag Earwhig! pretty much any chance I can get. Making my way though the discography kinda fast, adding a new album each day. I'm enjoying almost all of it.

Are you from the Disarm the Settlers community, PopZues?

I'm really glad at least one person discovered this band because of this thread! You've 100% justified making it for me. Also, thanks for that blurb, I'm really excited about the new album now.

I'm also on DtS myself but we'll have to tone down the discussion about it here, I'm afraid

Myron Baloney posted:

Pollard's solo albums are really some of his best work - but it can be time-consuming to give them the listening time to get into them I guess. I think Kid Marine, Normal Happiness, and especially From a Compound Eye are the best things he's ever done. Having said that I've barely listened to The Bears for Lunch or Class Clown Spots a UFO much less the new one yet.

You really really have to check out both of them, they are great album, and I think my favorite (for now) post-2011 GbV track so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVF_q1ZbU-4

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Also, it makes me really saw how most of their early records are just basically ignored by most fans. It's like GbV began with, at best, Propeller, but really Bee Thousand

As I said in the OP, some of my favorite tracks are on Forever Since Breakfast, but I love all of their records before that. I think Sandbox is a masterpiece and has some of my favorite all-time GbV tracks as well.

Long Distance Man is pure mock 60s lo-fi perfection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVz3A9tk-1s

It's a better pop song in under 1:30 that most bands will ever achieve in their careers. You also have tracks like Lips of Steel, Everyday...

They are way overlooked and they shouldn't be :colbert:

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
I love this video of them playing live so much :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw0avlZE_7E

It encapsulates why you should go and see GbV any chance you got

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

acephalousuniverse posted:

As someone who is a passing enjoyer of GBV but also a huge Mountain Goats fan (and harsh noise head) I will say that hyper-prolificity doesn't bother me at all. I enjoy watching someone just spill out material and see how their obsessions come through. I'm always in awe of people who can do this stuff semi-automatically in a way. I just don't have that concern for big, novelistic "great albums" but I know some people do and that's cool too. With GBV I enjoyed borrowing my friend's box sets and hearing tons of random stuff.

I'm also a huge Mountain Goats fan, and I mulled doing a thread similar to this one, but I don't know if there are enough people who would be interested in discussing them frankly.

Darnielle might not be as bad as Robert, but man does he put out a lot of material

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 15, 2013

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

shmee posted:

I found a copy of " Vampire On Titus" (the original Scat Records 12" according to Discogs) at my wife's house in her old records stash. Unless I missed it, nobody has mentioned this one before? Is this one which takes a bit more time or shall I pop it on while I do chores?

I'm already a fan, but don't know much so looking to dig a bit deeper.

It was mentioned a few times in passing. I'm so loving jealous right now :colbert:

I think VoT is a very strong record, but it's often overlooked due to the fact that it came right before Bee Thousand, and it was definitely not the sound that would come to define them afterwards.

It's definitely not their poppiest and easily approachable matterial, in fact it's probably their most lo-fi record. It's more a record that you need to really give an attentive listen to, so I wouldn't put it in the background while doing chores.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

PopZeus posted:

Vampire on Titus might be my favorite Pollard record some days. At least in the Top 3. Listen to it on a cold night with a beer. Soak it in. It's amazing.

That guy is completely wrong.

Clearly gin should be drank while listen to Vampire on Titus. Possibly with Tonic, but mostly straight.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

shmee posted:

Thanks, looking forward to giving it a listen, will make sure to pay attention. I can put it on later when I'm back home from the in-law's house. It's currently in a bag with her Rocket from the Crypt albums.

This might make you more jealous, but I had a look at it after reading your reply and it seems that it's this version on yellow and brown splattered vinyl.

Ah, that's the reissue. Still jealous, though!

And yeah it's definitely an album you sit down, pay attention to while sipping on your poison of choice.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

PopZeus posted:

Ooh that means I have an original vinyl! Just plain black. The first time I heard VoT I was lying in bed in the dark with headphones and it blew me away. I think I listened to Sot for a week straight. I love Sot.

First time I heard VoT I was very hungover. I stopped it halfway through. Second time went over much better and I've learned to really love it.

quote:

Clearly gin and tonic goes with Tonics and Twisted Chasers, duh. Vampire On Titus is a total slamming-garage-beers-and-whiskey kind of record. (Granted, a whole lot of GBV albums work this way, but still.)

Pff slamming garage beers is such a Pollard move for recording music, not listening to it. I agree with the whiskey comment though.

acephalousuniverse posted:

Listening to Alien Lanes and the line "I speak in monotone, leave my loving life alone" from As We Go Up We Go Down is just ruling me right now.

Love that this thread's a debate about what alcohol to drink to listen to the band of notorious alcoholics. Best thread in NMD.

As We Go Up is one of my favorite GbV of all times. As far as them being notorious alcoholics, did you check the live video I posted not too long ago?

precision posted:

I also support the creation of a Mountain Goats thread. A bunch of their older stuff just got added to Spotify recently.

I am finishing the OP and hopefully it's going to be ready tonight

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
So the new video for "Planet Score" is out, featuring Badger from Breaking Bad, Nate and Rob Corddry, and a huge Hot Dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1KJrdiZNHw

Motivational Jumpsuits comes out in 4 days.

As for the song itself, I thought it was ok, it's a pretty good single but I feel like it's a middle of the pack one. I don't think they've had a post-reformation single as good as "Class Clown Spots a U.F.O.", and this one definitely doesn't measure up, but it's alright.

New GbV/Pollard material is always a great thing (that comes out every three months like clockwork)

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Guided by Voices apparently really likes Rob Corddry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7LRkMYdj7s

and in the most Robert Pollard news fashion

quote:

Guided By Voices Honored With "Beer Thousand" Lager, and It Comes With a Record

In honor of the 20th Anniversary of Guided By Voices' Bee Thousand, Dogfish Head Brewery is releasing "Beer Thousand", an imperial lager that will make its debut at tonight's Guided By Voices show at Barrymore Theatre in Madison, Wisconson.

A small batch of Beer Thousand is now available at Dogfish Head Brewings & Eats in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware-- otherwise, you can buy it from retailers in Dogfish Head's 30-state distribution network beginning in the fall.

Beer Thousand will be accompanied by a 10-inch record of the band performing on June 25, 1994, during their first tour, "Insects of Rock". The release is available only while supplies last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
That's actually a pretty cool story! I mean drat, not even just a random GbV shirt but BS? That's awesome.

The only problem I have with that video is that it makes me really yearn for the next childrens hospital season

• Locked thread