Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
I have an apartment building in a relatively bad neighborhood - there have been some burglaries. Therefore, I would like to set up some video surveillance. My main goal is deterrence. It would also be nice to pass along to the police some useful info from the recordings if a break-in does happen. What do you recommend? Details follow.

The building is on a 3000 m2 lot, with 2 locked exits. The ground floor is a garage with one garage door (opened using remote) and semi-open walls (thin grating, easy to cut with bolt cutters). The garage is also connected to the main stairwell (via a locked door). The building is basically a big rectangle in the middle of the lot.

The lighting is on in the hallways and garage during the night but it is kind of dark everywhere - there is not all that much lighting. The garage is a few spots of light with many dark corners.

So far, the break-ins have happened in two ways:

a) Getting into the stairwell, either because someone buzzed the burglars in or the door did not close properly, and then breaking the lock to the garage.
b) Cutting through the garage wall grating.

The garage has been the main target, although bicycles have also been stolen from the hallways.

It would be nice to have all the doors covered, plus maybe some extra in the garage (I was thinking maybe one or two 360 degree rotating cameras?). Video storage for 10 days perhaps? Should be long enough to discover and report any burglaries, even if they are low key.

Budget is 5-10k dollars.

What do you recommend for video surveillance? What other security measures should also be considered?

EssOEss fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
I was browsing security cameras on Amazon and found some fairly high priced ones that I do not see much special about. What makes this camera worth 3400€, for example? Is it the fancy zoom lens? Or is that just a crazy price by some shady retailer? I would never buy such an expensive product, just was surprised by the price...

Overall, what contributes to a camera's price? Are there special features that I should expect to add a hefty sum? Like PTZ and so forth? How do I know I am getting my money's worth?

• Locked thread