Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HasidicNeckbeard
Jul 14, 2006
I'm livin' a life that's far from affordable, standin' on the corner callin' cuties on the portable
I would like to install a surveillance system soon (within a few days) and would appreciate some imput before I proceed.

I'm looking for an expandable system starting with about 4-6 cameras. One would be at our gate which is 900-1200 feet away from where the other cameras would be. (this one could be an added camera later) The other cameras would be focused on or around a 5000 square foot area outside (50 ft x 100 ft).

They would preferably be wireless and connect wirelessly to something like an omni directional antennae that would in turn be hooked to a personal computer with hard drives. A few of the cameras could be wired as we could run electrical over a few poles we have, but it would be nice if the other wireless cameras could be hooked to a mounted battery (is that possible?).

I would prefer atleast one of the cameras to be triggered by motion. The cameras being outside would also need some kind of daylight/night light functionality.

Eventually I would like to scale up and add cameras over longer distances if possible. The property is roughly 50 acres, but I would not expect them to be outside the range of about 1500-2000 feet as trees partially obscure the property and would not allow wireless signal to be reliable past that.

Purpose of System? To monitor equipment/property (deter theives) and also to monitor livestock (see what predators are attempting to get in). I'd like to have atleast one of the cameras with the capability to capture a picture clear enough to reasonably identify a person if they were in the area.

Darkness? Full moon light to pitch black - no other light source, but that could be changed and a motion light could be attached to one of the power poles.

Budget? $500-2000

Length of Recordings? 3-7 days, hopefully computer could have add on hard drives.

Computer 24/7? I could leave it on to record

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HasidicNeckbeard
Jul 14, 2006
I'm livin' a life that's far from affordable, standin' on the corner callin' cuties on the portable

MisterOblivious posted:

Input eh? How 'bout "you need to budget, at minimum, more time" and I'm guessing a giant pile more cash if you really need battery operated, outdoor, wireless cameras that operate in pitch black.

To clarify I'm not asking for a series of laser beams for Catherine Zeta Jones to do acrobatics through.

I was under the impression that some cameras operated with the ability to function at night, since they use the term "night vision" -- If this is not true I will install flood lights that are motion activated, that is not difficult and I have them on other places on my property. I'm assuming most cameras have quality degredation at night, and if its to the point where they don't function as cameras, I'll just use the aformentioned lights.

I was also under the impression that these wireless cameras I was looking at would work wirelessly -- if that is not the case I have mentioned that i'm perfectly fine running the cable needed to connect them.

As for being battery operated I was asking about the existence of cameras that would work that way, if they don't then they don't and I'm not going to attempt to make them work that way.

Budgeting more time is not an issue, I will take as much time as is needed to complete this project.

If you actually have specifics feel free to offer them as I am researching the feasbility of certain things. Specific products would be helpful, such as products you have used before that you thought were good or products you thought were terrible.

HasidicNeckbeard
Jul 14, 2006

KillHour posted:

He's right. Your budget is too low.

You're not getting an omnidirectional wireless signal 1000 ft at speeds good enough for surveillance. As such, you're not going to be using analog cameras (wireless analog cameras max out at 4 cameras in an environment, regardless).

Expect to spend $400-$500 per camera, plus an additional $200 for each camera to make them wireless. At some point, you'd want to look at meshing if you're expanding and going out to 2000 ft - expect to spend $1500-$4000 per AP, and you're looking at a dozen or so of them.

To build a battery system with an inverter (for the wireless), you're probably looking at $200-$500 each. You'll need to replace the batteries every few days - add $500-$1000 if you want to use solar panels to recharge them.

I would recommend using the motion activated floodlights. Night vision cameras are poo poo for monitoring large areas outside.

If you still want to look at products, I can show them to you, but expect to spend at least 5-10 grand.

The laser beam option would probably be cheaper.

When I started looking at these cameras I saw them after using ubiquiti's nanostations which must have set the bar way too high for me in terms of expectations. My signal easily travels 400 feet and i tested it past 1500 feet. I can use these to pick up wireless signals at that distance and thought I could use them to pick up the camera's wireless signal -- I was picturing the wireless cameras you see on amazon.com for 75 to 300 dollars each.

What kind of speed do you need for surveillance video? And do you need special access points to receive this data?

Also you don't think I can get a camera for under 700 that's worth while? Or do you know of any that are cheaper than that, that work well?

• Locked thread