Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
That one really stings. He's the only major influence who I got see many, many times over. The others being Bonham and Moon who were long dead by the time I could go to concerts. The last few years I've really been into the their stuff starting with Grace Under Pressure and all though the 90s albums and he playing got so refined.

This video has been posted before. It's VHS quality and there are jets flying overhead but this is him in all his glory. No effects, no tricks. Just pounding the poo poo out of the drums. \

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBNfDggYVlw&t=21s

Gonna roll a joint on my 2112 album cover for old times sake.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Toxic Mental posted:

I have found the holy grail of bad drumming videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AjozROk7xg

I've watched it 3 times and haven't even turned the sound on yet. I don't think I can do it. It's like he's trying be flamboyant but instead looks arthritic and... wrong.

Enos Cabell posted:

RIP Neil Peart :cry:

What the poo poo.

Permanent Waves came out just as I was getting interested in music, and The Spirit of Radio was what got me playing drums. I'd never heard music or drumming like that before and it altered the course of my musical life. I saw them for every tour from then through... Roll the Bones, I think.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don’t even play drums outside Rock Band, but I kinda want to empty everything out of my garage to make space now after hearing the news.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I know they get poo poo on for all the keyboards but I've gone back starting with Grace Under Pressure all the way to Roll The Bones and his playing really evolves. Many tracks on Grace you can tell they were in love with The Police, which isn't bad.. Then you get the shift into using electronic drums and effects. One album is full on pop really, but still has some great tracks. Presto and Roll were such a nice finish to all of that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rush has never made a bad album. Even their worst songs aren’t really “bad songs.”

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/jonwurster/status/1215762496713302016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was always proud being able to play some of his drum parts on Rock Band. I could do “Limelight” drat near perfect.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Gonna be nothing but attempts at the YYZ intro and just the beginning of Tom Sawyer with every podunk city's cover band this weekend

:rip:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Hah, when I told my wife Neil died, she goes "Go play Tom Sawyer!" So I did :cry:

Then I put on the headphones and played a few songs, culminating with Natural Science, which I haven't played through in...20 years? Felt a little stiff but I made it through. My hands, though... the pain...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIbk5O2bAlI

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

chitoryu12 posted:

I was always proud being able to play some of his drum parts on Rock Band. I could do “Limelight” drat near perfect.

I had a number of Rush tunes on my 'songs to jam to' playlist when I'd bang on the kit in college. I could never nail down those drum fills in Tom Sawyer - at least, that second one in the breakdown at about 2:38 that's all toms and kick - but for some reason basically all of La Villa Strangiato was pretty easy for me. Definitely fun tunes to play, never a dull moment when I knew what fill or lick was coming up. Such awful news to read last Friday, gutted me harder than I expected. About the same as hearing of Keith Flint's passing last year.

Anyway in other news I think I'm going to sell the Traps kit that is just collecting dust in my hallway and get something even more compact:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bon9ozDnQw

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
hi drummers, im a guitarist (but i sometimes play basic rock drums in a jam situation)

im trying to record my own music, and i'm struggling with drums. i don't have the wherewithall to record my own drums, so i'm using samples.

but i get pretty frustrated when clicking around in the DAW to lay out a drum beat. there are rhythmic ideas in my head that i struggle to put into the DAW using a grid.

i'm thinking about getting a Roland SPD-SX and just playing with drum sticks. is this a typical workflow? any limitations? other options?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Helianthus Annuus posted:

hi drummers, im a guitarist (but i sometimes play basic rock drums in a jam situation)

im trying to record my own music, and i'm struggling with drums. i don't have the wherewithall to record my own drums, so i'm using samples.

but i get pretty frustrated when clicking around in the DAW to lay out a drum beat. there are rhythmic ideas in my head that i struggle to put into the DAW using a grid.

i'm thinking about getting a Roland SPD-SX and just playing with drum sticks. is this a typical workflow? any limitations? other options?

It’s not a typical workflow, but it’s a decent analogue. I would lean against getting one though as it’s incredibly overpriced for what you’d be using it for, which is basically a MIDI controller.

Some cheap alternatives would be an AKAI MPC25 and assign the eight square pads to drums, or if you really want to be able to hit something with sticks get a cheap electronic kit (say, an old rock band/guitar hero kit). The latter would be a good analogue because you get a bass pedal input, the lack of which is one of my three gripes about the SPD-SX in general (the other two being the stock desktop app is garbage and the third party alternative is 40$; and that you can only link two pads per kit, which seems like it’d be a software issue but they’ve never patched it and completely gloss over that limitation in all their guides and videos)

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Jazz Marimba posted:

It’s not a typical workflow, but it’s a decent analogue. I would lean against getting one though as it’s incredibly overpriced for what you’d be using it for, which is basically a MIDI controller.

Some cheap alternatives would be an AKAI MPC25 and assign the eight square pads to drums, or if you really want to be able to hit something with sticks get a cheap electronic kit (say, an old rock band/guitar hero kit). The latter would be a good analogue because you get a bass pedal input, the lack of which is one of my three gripes about the SPD-SX in general (the other two being the stock desktop app is garbage and the third party alternative is 40$; and that you can only link two pads per kit, which seems like it’d be a software issue but they’ve never patched it and completely gloss over that limitation in all their guides and videos)

i hadn't considered the guitar hero drum kit option. that takes up more space, but it seems like it would get the job done at 1/10 the price

the reason i was looking at the Roland SPD-SX is because i've seen drummers using it, and i thought it was universally beloved by drummers everywhere. maybe not!

putting aside my use case for a moment, is there something else you think a drummer should use to trigger samples? i know yamaha has something similar...

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

i hadn't considered the guitar hero drum kit option. that takes up more space, but it seems like it would get the job done at 1/10 the price

the reason i was looking at the Roland SPD-SX is because i've seen drummers using it, and i thought it was universally beloved by drummers everywhere. maybe not!

putting aside my use case for a moment, is there something else you think a drummer should use to trigger samples? i know yamaha has something similar...

I should’ve said these are minor gripes—I bought the 40$ third party desktop app (it automatically converts samples to the correct format instead of you having to do it manually on Every. Single Sample.), and at the moment I’m just dealing with the coordination of playing bass drum samples with hands cuz it’s not a big deal, but I’m looking at getting a Roland KT-10 since it feels like an actual bass pedal but doesn’t weight 10lbs.

I guess only being able to link two pads per kit is more of an issue, but it’s more situational and just...not fixable. For most people it’s not an issue because standard use is one kit per song, but a few years ago I was in a band where we didn’t use triggered samples, just a backing track and click, and being score link pads 1+4, 2+5, 3+6, and 7+8 for four different songs would’ve saved time and hassle. I’m really baffled at why this isn’t possible because you can link any pad to any other pad on each kit. Why can’t you link multiple pairs?

The SPD-SX is basically the standard because it has more memory than most other units and it feels good to play. I’ve tried the Yamaha DTX-MULTI 12 and Roland’s Octapad, and they both feel like you’re hitting a table. I’m sure that’s fine for triggering a sample or backing track here or there, but if you’re doing anything substantial (like in hip hop), your wrists are gonna hurt pretty quickly.

So honestly, the SPD-SX is it for me. Being able to comfortably play is more important to me than any other minor hassles, especially when 2/3 of them can be purchased away

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Jazz Marimba posted:

The SPD-SX is basically the standard because it has more memory than most other units and it feels good to play.

this is so huge for me. its the main reason why im not very interested in programming drums using the little squares on the AKAI MPC25. i would probably get the Roland KT-10 too, just so i can record the kick while inputting all the other stuff

if im honest with myself, i'm mostly looking for something that feels good to hit. but while im at it, i figured i might as well get a legit piece of gear.

does the guitar hero kit feel good to hit?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Welp, I just ordered that Pearl Compact Traveller kit after watching some YouTube videos. I also got the gig bag for it, and a Pignose amp so I can jam with a buddy in the park across the street. This was the original plan for the Traps A400 kit I have, but it proved to be too cumbersome to carry on the shoulder, and the toms take a bit too long to position so it didn't make me want to even set it up in my room. Hopefully I can get back what I paid for it, even a couple hundred bucks would be OK.

Actually I was watching this the other night and it's really inspired me again. The guy's voice is a bit much though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alYMKTcDSNw

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

this is so huge for me. its the main reason why im not very interested in programming drums using the little squares on the AKAI MPC25. i would probably get the Roland KT-10 too, just so i can record the kick while inputting all the other stuff

if im honest with myself, i'm mostly looking for something that feels good to hit. but while im at it, i figured i might as well get a legit piece of gear.

does the guitar hero kit feel good to hit?

I only tapped the GH: World Tour kit a couple times and I vaguely recall it being okay, but the layout is hilarious/awful (three drums, in a triangle, plus two cymbals between and above). The stock Rock Band kits have a better layout (four drums in “standard” layout), but doesn’t come with cymbals and feels like poo poo.

There are some third party kits, like the ION (iirc it’s a cheap Alesis kit with little colored rings to match the RB aesthetic). I used to have that one, and it felt alright, but apparently they’re going for the same price used as they did new a decade ago?? Either way, any cheap e-kit is gonna have similar feel; the only reason the stock kit feels so bad is cuz it’s 50$ new compared to 300$ starting for any “real” e-kit

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Mister Speaker posted:

The guy's voice is a bit much though.

Joe Pera Skanks With You

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
What would you guys say is the best in class when it comes to rock or metal drums VSTs as of 2020? Is Superior Drummer still the answer to everything?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

That Pearl Compact Traveller kit is so cool and I want one even though I absolutely don't need it lol

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

DreadCthulhu posted:

What would you guys say is the best in class when it comes to rock or metal drums VSTs as of 2020? Is Superior Drummer still the answer to everything?

The VST thread is prolly your best bet, we just like hitting things here

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

This channel is pretty cool. It isolates the drum tracks and songs so you hear everything being played.

I've heard Spirit of Radio a million times and never knew it was this busy. It may be because its a live recording but Neal is throwing ghost notes left and right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0SV682Ez2c

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Woaaaaaaaaaa thanks for posting that. I try and transcribe drums a lot either from ear or using the Rock Band version as a base, having a proper isolated track to reference is gold for trying to chart things accurately, and seeing the waveform is really helpful too. I'd be willing to bet he's ripping some of these out of Rock Band's isolated instrument tracks, I recognized quite a few songs that I don't see drummers pay attention to as often but that are in the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZG3X3L7Td4

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
I just committed to join a samba band. I've not played drums in 15 years and even drum kit wasn't my main instrument, I only did so for a year and I was never good at reading music. I have a practice pad, a metronome and some sticks on their way.

1) I'm also waiting on a copy of Stick Control. Beyond jamming rudiments to my metronome is there anything else I can be doing?

2) It's not like I'll be reading a lot of sheet music during this adventure but I'd really like to understand and be a bit more knowledgeable about how music and rhythm work. Where do I start with learning how to read the stave, conceptualise what I'm playing, the general theoretical side? Has someone made a really good video series on this, free or paid?

3) Is there any particularly good software I can use to experiment with percussion stuff? Something I can copy written music I find into and have it play it back to me. A drum machine type piece of software I can use to experiment and spell stuff out in the piano roll format I understand more easily. Anything really. I just want to install some software.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Might not be the easiest, but for creating drum sheet music I use MuseScore. As long as you don't get too complex with time signatures and intricate patterns it's pretty easy to just throw some 8th and 16th notes around the kit and listen back to it.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

number one pta fan posted:

I just committed to join a samba band. I've not played drums in 15 years and even drum kit wasn't my main instrument, I only did so for a year and I was never good at reading music. I have a practice pad, a metronome and some sticks on their way.

lmao how did you get yourself into this jam?

So it sounds like you’ll be playing drum set as opposed to engine room or timbales or whatever then? I would strongly suggest focusing on limb independence; Latin music is infamously tough to feel out at first as opposed to your more standard rock beats. Get very used to playing “1..a2..a3..a4” on the bass combined with various clave patterns in your hands.

Also, listen to a ton of samba music if you’re not already!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I've always meant to try and date my main snare drum - I got it used in 1982-ish and it's been my primary ever since.

Didn't take long to figure it out's vintage circa 1966. Older than me.

Cool.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 2, 2020

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

If you play an electronic kit, read this article about MIDI 2.0

https://qz.com/1788828/how-will-midi-2-0-change-music/

The protocol allows for bi-directional which will solve a lot of issues with current setups.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

a mysterious cloak posted:

I've always meant to try and date my main snare drum - I got it used in 1982-ish and it's been my primary ever since.

Didn't take long to figure it out's vintage circa 1966. Older than me.

Cool.

I'd love to see a photo

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I decided I'm upgrading my shell kit and I'm so excited, but a bit nervous too as I have no idea what or how to buy. I don't have a clear idea of what I want yet; I've pretty much always played on cheap mismatched drums (can't remember the brands, I'm not too good at gear) my dad bought 15 years ago. It is kinda falling apart though. I like my cymbals, and now I want to get real professional shells. I guess I'd spend around 1000-1500 CAD, most of what I saw on Kijiji and marketplace in this price range looks great. I've been looking at demo videos of the kits I see and it's amazing how good drums really sing, I can't believe I'm going to be playing on one when I pull the trigger :) I usually like buying used, but is it worth going for a new set?

My current set

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 9, 2020

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm still solidly amateur, but I share the brainworm of enjoying buying cheap poo poo and trying to make it sound good. If you're in a hurry or want some kind of warranty you'll need to go new, but if this is more of a hobby then there's no reason you wouldn't be able to hunt down a decent upgrade on Canadian CraigsList/NextDoor/GuitarCenter. As long as drum shells/hoops/other hardware aren't physically damaged, you can put different heads on them and tune them to sound 'pretty good' in almost all cases.

Something that might help you shop around, try and nail down exactly what you don't like about your current kit/sound, or list the things you want to change or improve. That might at least get you pointed in a direction of what to look for in a nicer kit.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

You should take into account shell sizes/configs and wood type for sound. You’d be surprised how good intermediate kits sound with the right heads. Depending on the config and number of shells, you should be able to get a really great shell pack with the color/finish you want.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

No, it’s not worth it for a new kit, especially if you don’t *need* it rtfn. As a semi-professional musician the only things I buy new are consumables (sticks and heads), and things you can’t get used (e.g. the lightweight Yamaha Crosstown hardware kit, because it just came out a year and a half ago)

If I’m looking for something I’ll set up craigslist and fb marketplace alerts for it both so I don’t forget, and because it lets you jump on listings shortly after they’re posted. I usually set a price minimum of 2$ because of all the spammers listing stuff for 0$ or 1$, or sometimes higher depending on the item so I’m not getting stuff I’m not interested in

question for y’all: the Yamaha Crosstown pack didn’t come with a throne, so I picked up their lightweight DS550 throne separately (pic below). The three braces attaching the legs to the center pipe don’t have a wing nut screw to stabilize them when it’s set up, meaning it constantly wiggles ever so slightly while playing, meaning my lower back gets sore from constantly compensating for the wiggle. Is there a way I can temporarily secure it while it’s set up? The obvious solution is to make a hole for a wing nut screw, but is there anything easier/I can do myself?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Would you be able to slip another locking brace (or memory lock) over the top of the shaft to keep the ring where the 3 braces meet from moving any further up? Assuming that's what you mean, that there aren't holes in the pipe and it just stays put by compressing the wingnut against the pipe?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

Would you be able to slip another locking brace (or memory lock) over the top of the shaft to keep the ring where the 3 braces meet from moving any further up? Assuming that's what you mean, that there aren't holes in the pipe and it just stays put by compressing the wingnut against the pipe?

the three braces can go all the way down, but always sneak up to parallel with the ground. there’s no wing nut there—only one for securing the seat to the upper pipe, and one for securing the upper pipe to the lower pipe (both work great). i’m not sure it’d be possible to get a memory lock on the lower pipe (maybe it is? please prove me wrong, this wiggle is annoying)

here’s a vid showing the wiggling

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh I see now. Yeah that's tough, the actual metal is (or at least the joints are) flexing so just fastening it harder to the pipe wouldn't do much. Friends don't let friends buy single-brace hardware. There are probably different applications for different styles of play, but don't you want a little wiggle in the throne so you can more easily reach stuff off to the sides? I leave my seat pretty much free spinning on the top rod so I can reach back for my 2nd floor tom, through I guess if stability is your goal that wouldn't work.

e:
Hey I found a throne that should provide maximum stability at the expense of portability:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 14, 2020

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

Oh I see now. Yeah that's tough, the actual metal is (or at least the joints are) flexing so just fastening it harder to the pipe wouldn't do much. Friends don't let friends buy single-brace hardware. There are probably different applications for different styles of play, but don't you want a little wiggle in the throne so you can more easily reach stuff off to the sides? I leave my seat pretty much free spinning on the top rod so I can reach back for my 2nd floor tom, through I guess if stability is your goal that wouldn't work.

e:
Hey I found a throne that should provide maximum stability at the expense of portability:

well the thing is it isn’t fastened to the pipe at the bottom, which is why it’s wiggling. is there an easier solution than drilling a hole and using a screw to secure it? I’m also kinda worried about doing that since there’s a plastic ring on the inside of it so it’s not metal on metal, and drilling might crack it 😬

I’m p sure I’ll never play a big enough not to need rotation...I mostly play jazz, hip hop, and covers, which a 3-4 piece covers all of

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I play with a click with my band, and my only headphones are HyperX Cloud Cores. They isolate a lot, I think too much actually, because I tend to hit way harder when I have them on. Whenever I play without hearing protection I'm amazed at how subtle the cymbal/ride are, and realize I'm bashing them way too hard when I have headphones on - especially at the climax of songs.

So what are you guys using for monitoring? What kind of EQing am I loooking for in ear protection? I'm looking for something that'll preserve my hearing in our small practice room with turned up amps , but still allow me to hear details in the cymbals and not play too hard. I've tried only covering one ear with the headphones, alternating which ear every song, and it's a good compromise - the difference in my playing is remarkable, but my ears ring at the end of the session and I really don't want that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
what the hell is this open-handed technique here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIgMN7Kd7u8&t=128s

ive read he was a self taught drummer i just can't understand what im looking at, with him opening it up every beat or so. is his snare just really high tuned and sounding like the hihat? i almost think its footage from another song