Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I am in desperate need of a snare wire for my Ludwig WFL snare. The original has disintegrated and everywhere I look online they've got the 3-screw mount, but not the string mount. The model I need is PLS-1416. Do you guys have any decent resources for this hard-to-find stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

scuz posted:

I am in desperate need of a snare wire for my Ludwig WFL snare. The original has disintegrated and everywhere I look online they've got the 3-screw mount, but not the string mount. The model I need is PLS-1416. Do you guys have any decent resources for this hard-to-find stuff?

Yeah, find a local shop in your area, preferably one that is a licensed Ludwig retailer and they should be able to put in an order to Ludwig for it. I'm actually waiting on my local dealer to get some tom mount gaskets as the factory ones are shot and now the floor tom legs are touching the hoops causing a really irritating buzzing sound. You can't get anything direct from Ludwig as they aren't capable of just straight up charging you though, which sucks.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

I Might Be Adam posted:

Yeah, find a local shop in your area, preferably one that is a licensed Ludwig retailer and they should be able to put in an order to Ludwig for it. I'm actually waiting on my local dealer to get some tom mount gaskets as the factory ones are shot and now the floor tom legs are touching the hoops causing a really irritating buzzing sound. You can't get anything direct from Ludwig as they aren't capable of just straight up charging you though, which sucks.
I've asked some shops and they keep coming back to the same answer, which is that nobody even makes em anymore. It's a sad day. I found a couple links and I have the guy at the custom shop tracking one down for me, so hopefully I'll have wires on my drum. I can't wait!

In funny news I ran across this when perusing for used hardware:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/msg/4046596803.html
Also this pawn shop is good for some laughs:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/msd/3974401212.html

scuz fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 5, 2013

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
I've been playing drums for around 15 years, and I'm shopping for a new set. Willing to spare around 1000 for a shell pack. I play mostly hardcore, punk, and ska. Bit of metal. Any ideas for a new kit? It's hard to shop for a new kit, so many options. Thanks

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

hunter x az posted:

I've been playing drums for around 15 years, and I'm shopping for a new set. Willing to spare around 1000 for a shell pack. I play mostly hardcore, punk, and ska. Bit of metal. Any ideas for a new kit? It's hard to shop for a new kit, so many options. Thanks

Really going to depend on what kind of wood and drum size/number configuration. I dropped around that on a kick/rack/floor/snare configuration and I waited until it was on sale.

Even though I don't have the kit anymore, my old Yamaha Stage Custom was a pretty fantastic kit that I played for almost 15 yrs. That kit took such a beating and still sounded great for what was essentially an entry level kit back in 1996.

Currently playing a Ludwig kit with no real complaints.

Edit: That post for the 20" floor tom is awesome.

I Might Be Adam fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 5, 2013

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
That's one of the better Craigslist postings overall that I've ever seen selling gear. :golfclap:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Okay, I'm new to drumming and all that jazz, so I started taking lessons. My instructor, based on my goals for wanting to be the drummer for this band has advised that I work on my double-stroke rolls. She says it'll increase my speed. However I'm not 100% on whether I'm practicing this correctly. She has advised that I use my wrists as little as possible and to try and use my fingers as much as I can, but that's giving me some problems. Any double-stroke roll techniques for a new drummer guy?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

scuz posted:

Okay, I'm new to drumming and all that jazz, so I started taking lessons. My instructor, based on my goals for wanting to be the drummer for this band has advised that I work on my double-stroke rolls. She says it'll increase my speed. However I'm not 100% on whether I'm practicing this correctly. She has advised that I use my wrists as little as possible and to try and use my fingers as much as I can, but that's giving me some problems. Any double-stroke roll techniques for a new drummer guy?

Yeah, first make sure you're gripping the stick correctly (relaxed, thumb and forefinger, etc.) and try to get the drumstick to move without bending your wrist. It should be similar to the motion for ringing a bell on a bike or a "come hither" hand motion. Beyond that, start slow and make sure your technique is good. You can go as slow as you need to but don't speed up until you have it down. The rest of it is just getting a feel for how your sticks and drums respond. Eventually you'll get a feel for the recoil from striking the drum; that's going to be essential to speed. Instead of bringing your wrist down twice for the double stroke, you bring it down once, the stick bounces up, and you bring it back down with your fingers instead of your wrist. Then you switch hands. You just have to practice until it feels right.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I bought a cajon (Gon Bops Alex Acuna) a few months ago as my first percussion instrument (born and raised guitar player) and I'm having a blast being able to take my "drumming fingers on a tabletop" skills and making it sound like something useful. I'm kicking around the idea of getting a mini cajon like the Schlagwerk Cajonito or the Meinl travel cajon for messing around while laying on the couch or using the computer or whatever. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on such matters?

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Picked up a new drum kit for 900$ bucks after tax, after selling mine about 6 months ago due to finances.

PDP Concept Maple 7-piece kit. I bought a snare stand, had an old boom stand, picked up some Mapex double pedals, and need a throne. Also bought the Meinl HCS starter kit, 14" hi-hats, 16" crash, 20" ride and 2 stands and a hi-hat stand from eBay. Excited to start playing again.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Declan MacManus posted:

Yeah, first make sure you're gripping the stick correctly (relaxed, thumb and forefinger, etc.) and try to get the drumstick to move without bending your wrist. It should be similar to the motion for ringing a bell on a bike or a "come hither" hand motion. Beyond that, start slow and make sure your technique is good. You can go as slow as you need to but don't speed up until you have it down. The rest of it is just getting a feel for how your sticks and drums respond. Eventually you'll get a feel for the recoil from striking the drum; that's going to be essential to speed. Instead of bringing your wrist down twice for the double stroke, you bring it down once, the stick bounces up, and you bring it back down with your fingers instead of your wrist. Then you switch hands. You just have to practice until it feels right.

Thanks dude, this helped a ton! I hadn't been using my fingers the proper way before.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

scuz posted:

Thanks dude, this helped a ton! I hadn't been using my fingers the proper way before.

It's the only really efficient way to build speed with matched sticking. If you stick with it you'll eventually be able to do hits with each individual finger and then oh man

Well, not the only way I guess
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QFZfOLbnBwI

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Declan MacManus posted:

It's the only really efficient way to build speed with matched sticking. If you stick with it you'll eventually be able to do hits with each individual finger and then oh man

Well, not the only way I guess
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QFZfOLbnBwI

mmmmmmmmmff just got done doing double-stroke rolls at 120 for 4 straight minutes and man, do I feel awesome.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
The official response from D'Addario/PureSound, by the way, was that they are never making that snare wire ever again. And also to gently caress myself (the rep was a little rude).

Time for some custom work!

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO

scuz posted:

mmmmmmmmmff just got done doing double-stroke rolls at 120 for 4 straight minutes and man, do I feel awesome.

What's your note base? 8th-notes? 16th? Not sure what your playing experience is, but for someone who's just starting to get a feel for double stroke hand motion, I don't think diving straight into 4-minute rolls is the way to go. If you're getting a clean, even sound while staying relaxed, that's great, then no worries. But just playing a double stroke roll for a long period of time doesn't help much with musicality. To me, a lot of drumming is about transitions between different tempos, rhythms, and sticking patterns - can you play those double stroke rolls for four minutes while going from piano to forte in one clean dynamic movement? See, that would be more impressive and more musical than straight double strokes.

I can understand the idea of doing it for endurance, but I'm not a big fan of that school of thought as it implies that you need to have a certain 'toughness' in order to pull off a feat like that. One drumline used to do like iron man double strokes competitions, to see who can play double strokes the longest. It may be fun, but I don't think you can expect anything from that except maybe carpel tunnel. Relaxed playing and playing clean and with musicality to me is more important - tension ruins everything.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Four minutes isn't exactly a marathon length to be doing a single rudiment though, I have seen mentioned plenty of times that for effective muscle memory retention you need to practice something for at least 3 minutes straight otherwise you won't get the full benefits. Sometimes when watching a show or something I will do a specific rudiment without tempo or dynamics change for the full 40 minutes, obviously not at a rate that causes pain or discomfort, and this has given me a great foundation to apply it musically around the kit because I can bust out double or diddles or whatever at any point without conscious thought. I subscribe to the "if it hurts, stop doing it" school of practice, otherwise everything is fair game.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kodo posted:

What's your note base? 8th-notes? 16th? Not sure what your playing experience is, but for someone who's just starting to get a feel for double stroke hand motion, I don't think diving straight into 4-minute rolls is the way to go. If you're getting a clean, even sound while staying relaxed, that's great, then no worries. But just playing a double stroke roll for a long period of time doesn't help much with musicality. To me, a lot of drumming is about transitions between different tempos, rhythms, and sticking patterns - can you play those double stroke rolls for four minutes while going from piano to forte in one clean dynamic movement? See, that would be more impressive and more musical than straight double strokes.

I can understand the idea of doing it for endurance, but I'm not a big fan of that school of thought as it implies that you need to have a certain 'toughness' in order to pull off a feat like that. One drumline used to do like iron man double strokes competitions, to see who can play double strokes the longest. It may be fun, but I don't think you can expect anything from that except maybe carpel tunnel. Relaxed playing and playing clean and with musicality to me is more important - tension ruins everything.
  • Note base is 16ths
  • I was the drummer for an Operation Ivy cover band in high school (ten years ago) and hadn't picked up drumming again until two weeks ago
  • I agree and disagree at the same time. I'm in the same boat as RandomCheese as far as muscle memory goes. My hands take a while to get used to a motion, but once they do, it sticks ( :haw: ) pretty well.
  • This is where I agree. I started in band when I was in 4th grade and have musical parents, so I understand fully the concept of musicality. Being able to play at different dynamics at the same speed and being able to have a great range of expression in playing is very important to me. During the 4 minutes, I'd play at a diminuendo volume and get up to about a forte after a minute, and then drop back down gradually and repeat
  • One of the reasons I felt so pumped after the 4-minute roll was that I could feel soreness (not pain!) in my forearms, and I know that I have to work on my strength a great deal (I'm a lanky nerd)

Edit: Just now I spent 3 hours looking for a suitable replacement snare wire for my snare. Never give up, never surrender.

scuz fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 11, 2013

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

scuz posted:

• Note base is 16ths
  • I was the drummer for an Operation Ivy cover band in high school (ten years ago) and hadn't picked up drumming again until two weeks ago
  • I agree and disagree at the same time. I'm in the same boat as RandomCheese as far as muscle memory goes. My hands take a while to get used to a motion, but once they do, it sticks ( :haw: ) pretty well.
  • This is where I agree. I started in band when I was in 4th grade and have musical parents, so I understand fully the concept of musicality. Being able to play at different dynamics at the same speed and being able to have a great range of expression in playing is very important to me. During the 4 minutes, I'd play at a diminuendo volume and get up to about a forte after a minute, and then drop back down gradually and repeat
  • One of the reasons I felt so pumped after the 4-minute roll was that I could feel soreness (not pain!) in my forearms, and I know that I have to work on my strength a great deal (I'm a lanky nerd)

Edit: Just now I spent 3 hours looking for a suitable replacement snare wire for my snare. Never give up, never surrender.

cool, wasn't sure how I should have phrased my post, so apologies for any misunderstanding.

RandomCheese, do you have a source for that three-minute figure for muscle memory? It would be interesting to see the full scope of that particular argument.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Feel kinda like I should make myself a training schedule or something, like do rudiments an hour for a day and then work with a metronome the next or something, try to get as much out of this "practice pad" as I can until I get a real set.
An hour might be a little to much though, maybe 30 minutes every day. Just hitting this one thing over and over will probably get boring real quick.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I found these pictures during my sleepless quest for snare wire:
The drum in this picture is the drum that I have: http://vintagedrumguide.com/images/snare_applications/wfl_pl-1416/wfl_pl-1416.html
Here's a picture of the PL3-1416 in action: http://vintagedrumguide.com/images/snare_applications/wfl_pl3-1416/wfl_pl3-1416.html
Hopefully this means I'll just need to find one of a similar length and modify it. Meh!

Kodo posted:

cool, wasn't sure how I should have phrased my post, so apologies for any misunderstanding.

RandomCheese, do you have a source for that three-minute figure for muscle memory? It would be interesting to see the full scope of that particular argument.
Oh, no apologies needed! I'm pretty good at taking criticism, and I said I was new so any input is awesome. I like hearing about multiple vectors for learning :)

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh
Stupid noob question ahoy! I want to start drumming and all the information and tips in this thread are just fantastically motivating and helpful. The question: I'm left-handed, so does this mean that I should set the kit up in a particular way? Is there a convention that dictates lefties put the hi-hat on the opposite side to right-handed drummers and if so, which side is that? Alternatively, do you just experiment and set things up whichever way works best for you. I guess I'm trying to find out if there is a way of setting up that encourages best practice and technique, plus enables faster learning.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
You should try it both ways and use whichever way is most natural. There are plenty of left-handed folks out there who play drums right-handed and others who play left-handed; there's no right or wrong way.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Frazzbo posted:

Stupid noob question ahoy! I want to start drumming and all the information and tips in this thread are just fantastically motivating and helpful. The question: I'm left-handed, so does this mean that I should set the kit up in a particular way? Is there a convention that dictates lefties put the hi-hat on the opposite side to right-handed drummers and if so, which side is that? Alternatively, do you just experiment and set things up whichever way works best for you. I guess I'm trying to find out if there is a way of setting up that encourages best practice and technique, plus enables faster learning.

Most lefties prefer the hat on the right side of the kit, OR I've seen them play on the left with their left hand. I've also seen the ride on the left in that set up. It's really all about how you feel comfortable.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

Frazzbo posted:

I still remember when I first started playing I had no idea how to setup a kit and just decided to place the hi-hat on the right side (I'm right-handed). A musician friend made fun of me so I switched the hi-hat to the left side :(

It's a comfort thing, but it's not only that - playing in an open position (no arm crossing) opens up the drum set to a wide array of possibilities. But that's not an argument you hear often unless you play jazz where some argue that moving the right arm over to the ride changed drumming forever because you weren't "hindered" by the cross-arm position and have more freedom with sticking (I think it was an interview with Jimmy Cobb or Billy Hart, can't remember).

Anyway, it shouldn't be something you need to worry about. Putting your HH on the right side (pun not intended) will get you paid/laid 99% of the time.

Kodo fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 14, 2013

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
One benefit of learning to play with hats on the left will be that it's easier to play someone elses kit, whether it be at lessons or shared equipment at a gig, without doing major adjustments before you sit down.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

RandomCheese posted:

One benefit of learning to play with hats on the left will be that it's easier to play someone elses kit, whether it be at lessons or shared equipment at a gig, without doing major adjustments before you sit down.

yeah, that's an excellent point - unless you see yourself around your own kit, getting used to playing a right-handed setup will be useful.

Dishman
Jul 2, 2007
Slimy Bastard
The more important part for starting out is your hand/arm/leg coordination and ultimately independance. If you get your sticking down, and your arms and legs coordinated then independant of each other, it wont really matter how your setup is. This is probably a ways away from where your at, however, so don't worry too much and just keep playing in whatever way you can and developing good habits and skills.

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh
All good stuff guys, thanks again! Now all I need to do is get meself a kit... Where's that piggy bank gone?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

After much searching, I finally took the plunge and upgraded my ride cymbal from a Zildjian 21" K Crash/Ride to a Zildjian 22" K Ride. I mostly play rock, jazzish stuff and americana so I was looking for a dryer cymbal with less wash. I love the tone and dynamic of this new ride but still dealing with a bit too much wash/decay on the cymbal. I did look at the K Custom Dry/Dark rides but felt that a lot of them just didn't have enough wash or they had an unpleasant hum once you got it going.

I guess my question is, does anyone have suggestions for dampening? I know you can use gaffer tape but I'm not keen on gunking up the underside of the cymbal with adhesive. I found that the cymbal sounded almost perfect when applying a finger to the underside edge of the cymbal. It cut just the right amount of decay out of it.

Dishman
Jul 2, 2007
Slimy Bastard
Sounds like you need an extra finger

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

I Might Be Adam posted:

After much searching, I finally took the plunge and upgraded my ride cymbal from a Zildjian 21" K Crash/Ride to a Zildjian 22" K Ride. I mostly play rock, jazzish stuff and americana so I was looking for a dryer cymbal with less wash. I love the tone and dynamic of this new ride but still dealing with a bit too much wash/decay on the cymbal. I did look at the K Custom Dry/Dark rides but felt that a lot of them just didn't have enough wash or they had an unpleasant hum once you got it going.

I guess my question is, does anyone have suggestions for dampening? I know you can use gaffer tape but I'm not keen on gunking up the underside of the cymbal with adhesive. I found that the cymbal sounded almost perfect when applying a finger to the underside edge of the cymbal. It cut just the right amount of decay out of it.

Moon gel. Moon gel is manna from heaven. Easily removable and leaves zero residue. can be used to dampen anything.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Picked up some moon gels and will try them tonight before rehearsal. Thanks for the advice and recommendation.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I moved my drums into a practice space so I can actually hear them for the first time.

The tom, I was told, is a 3-ply maple Slingerland that, I was told, would sound great with my drums, and it sure does. The hi-hats are a KZ pair that I picked up from eBay and that snare, now that it has a snare wire, is so much fun to smack around. The first night I set it up I practiced for not quite 3 hours. Drumming rules, you guys.

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

Going back to that hi-hat side stuff for just a second, would it be a good idea it switch my kit to a left handed set-up if I want to work getting my hands more independent? Basically I've got pretty good syncopation abilities with my left hand at the moment, as well as nice stick control for double and multiple bounce rolls and all that jazz. But my right hand is pretty poo poo at it, as is my left hand at keeping a consistent pattern going if the left hand tries to dick around. I suppose I can guess that it would certainly work for what I want, but does it seem like the benefits of the extra work re-arranging my kit will pay off?

In addition, despite being a right handed person, my ability to start rolls with my right hand is pretty lacking. I guess I've kind of answered my own question, but I still want to know what other advantages there would be switching up the handedness of my kit.

e: thankee VVVVVVVVV

CARRIERHASARRIVED fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 18, 2013

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Personally, I wouldn't go through the hassle of rearranging my kit since then I couldn't just sit down and do fun stuff as easily. The book "New Breed" has some pretty groovy exercises to help with exactly that situation, though. I'll post a couple when I get out of class.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

So instead of rearranging your kit, you can play a simple pattern like this with your off hand (or primary!):

and then have your other hand play a "melody" like this:

eventually working up to this silliness:

I scanned a page of patterns and a few more of melodies if anyone's interested in it (sorry for the bad cutoffs on a few)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2284/SA/New%20Breed%20stuff.pdf

edit: To add a question of my own, I recently realized that I accidentally messed up my sight reading somewhere along the way. What I do right now is learn whatever I'm reading well enough that I can glance at it and play it from memory. How do I fix it so I can actually sight read stuff?

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 16, 2013

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Jazz Marimba posted:

edit: To add a question of my own, I recently realized that I accidentally messed up my sight reading somewhere along the way. What I do right now is learn whatever I'm reading well enough that I can glance at it and play it from memory. How do I fix it so I can actually sight read stuff?

The way I did it was to get/borrow a ton of music and never read anything more than once or twice. I came out of a season of drum corps being able to memorize anything in seconds, and that's how my teacher at the time ended up forcing me to improve my reading.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

you ate my cat posted:

The way I did it was to get/borrow a ton of music and never read anything more than once or twice. I came out of a season of drum corps being able to memorize anything in seconds, and that's how my teacher at the time ended up forcing me to improve my reading.

...do you have a ton of sheet music I could borrow? And is there any sort of progression you recommend, or just "the order in which you pick them up?"

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Jazz Marimba posted:

...do you have a ton of sheet music I could borrow? And is there any sort of progression you recommend, or just "the order in which you pick them up?"

Yeah the amount of music is the tough part. I was fortunate enough to have access to a couple filing cabinets full of stuff.

What kind of reading are you looking to do? And what level? I did a bunch of mallet reading out of Bona's Rhythmical Articulation, and just kind of cycled through in the hopes I forgot what I'd read a few weeks before. Rhythm reading, you can read just about anything though some instruments are more useful than others. Do you have access to a library with a music section? Can be a surprising number of older method books in there. If you want to read, say, timpani stuff, then we might be in trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't know much bout models etc, but what brand are these in the first picture?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/msg/4136102010.html

I'm intrigued, mostly cuz $80 for a floor and rack tom, and a bass drum.