Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Devor posted:

One weird old trick for dropping lots of items at once - press 'd' to open the drop menu, then press the asterisk on the numpad. You are now in 'multi-drop' mode and can drop tons of things without opening the drop menu every time.

You can also do the same thing on the examine menu to lock an item so you can't accidentally sell it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
My best effort years ago was getting a Moongate and making a friendly looking room with stuff arranged in my name. I had a rockin' party after finding a rare sword and invited some dragons before leaving.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Can someone run me through nuking the starting house? I want that fuggin bow.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Run a few quests in towns other than Vernis til you have 12k, go to Derphy and take the quest to nuke palmia. Pay 12k for the bomb, pick it up and die from being massively overloaded (it weighs something around a literal ton). You respawn in your house, hopefully with bomb. Use the bomb with 't' and wait around (you have to be in the house or the bomb won't go off) till it blows. Respawn and hope there aren't any survivors. Pick up the precious items and maybe some decent other loot if the fire didn't get it.

Avoid doing Party Time quests from then on because they'll be pissed if they happen to see you. It's not like those are the cash cow they used to be anyway.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Right! Cheers. I'm gonna get that bow. I never do the Party Time quests, anyway.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
A weird old tip on movement - if you're zipping around, holding down left, you can add the up arrow to transition to moving diagonally up-left, then let go of left so you're just holding up. This is the fast way to run around cities / through Hunting quests while your pets murder everything. If you try to hold down left -> upper left [on the keypad] it won't work, only if you hold down left and up at the same time. And if you just use the diagonal buttons, there are small pauses when you change between directions. It's all about mashing buttons.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hahaha and now my new guy gets 2 good mutations from monster dreams in 3 nights.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

One question I've always had is how does one go about choosing a melee weapon early on? Just grab the best looking one in the shop? Stick with your highest skill? Maybe grab one that you have a good stat for but not much skill? Grab one that leads to a cool piece of endgame equipment (and if so which)? Just grab the lightest shard of glass I can find for the speed boost?

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 2, 2013

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tsurupettan posted:

I don't see a Frisia's Tail there. :colbert:

I think I have one, but of course I didn't use it because:

code:
It brings an end.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I got the Bow of Vinderre and some really nice kit for my character. Now I just gotta get enough for a new house that's not blown to poo poo. But still... :getin:

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Just another tip for new players: Get religion pretty early.

By heading pretty much straight north from Palmia (the big city) you'll hit a weird looking building that looks like a monument. There you can choose to worship any of the gods. Once you worship a god, your faith skill will naturally start to train while sleeping through 'A Saint Blesses You..." messages. Your maximum piety (the hidden stat that tracks how much your god likes you) is regulated by your faith skill, so starting the training early is a good idea. Also, some of the gods have very good pets as their first faith reward.

I particularly like Opatos of Earth as just picking up junk stones you see on random map tiles can be 'O'ffered to him at altars, and his pet reward is a nice little tanking monster that can also act as a mule for all your extra stuff.

Woden
May 6, 2006
You can import your old toon to the new version, just save in a town first.

Loaded up my old level 54 mutant to check things out and I don't know how to play anymore or where anything is. Might be best to just start again.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I just started this game and I ate a beggar and was given the option to take a bear as a pet. :getin:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

None of my time playing Elona has been anywhere near as fun as what's described here. I'll take another crack at it tomorrow with some of the tips here and see what kinda awesome poo poo I can get up to.

Also: Is there a viable way to play a pianist that doesn't end up with you getting killed half a second into every performance?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

BKPR posted:

None of my time playing Elona has been anywhere near as fun as what's described here. I'll take another crack at it tomorrow with some of the tips here and see what kinda awesome poo poo I can get up to.

Also: Is there a viable way to play a pianist that doesn't end up with you getting killed half a second into every performance?

Pianist Tips: Fairy Pianist is probably the easiest start, because fairies have good CHA and having weightlifting on them to start is great.

Even though you start with high CHA and the performer skill, you'll still need to practice in 'safe' areas for a bit until you get your performer skill up to around 15 (or better yet, higher) before doing the easiest party time quests. First, is to do a couple of random quests to get about 4-5k gold. Then head to derphy and buy the cheapest slaves you can. With a high CHA you should be able to have 4 or so allies. Then go to your home and play for them. They count as audience and your performer skill will train.

Once you get to about 12, find an area in Vernis (I like the area right by the southern entrance, but far enough away from the bar) where there will be plain 'people' around but no one dangerous like shop keepers or guards. Then play for them to train some more. You'll even make a little money doing so.

Finally, you can start to take quests. When you do, find parts of the quest map that don't have aristocrats or named NPCs as they are less demanding. At this point, things should really start to take off.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Nanomashoes posted:

I just started this game and I ate a beggar and was given the option to take a bear as a pet. :getin:
Little girls are objectively the best since they get the most equipment slots, sorry :(

BKPR posted:

Find some performer-boosting gear, just keep performing until your skill level gets high enough that most people don't throw rocks at you. Loyter in Vernis still will no matter what though since he's a dick. You can use your own pets as an audience in your house, Party Time! quests (Palmia has the most of these), you can make a ranch and breed putits until you get a million then play for them.. Ditch the piano ASAP, it's really heavy to carry around. You can get a horn for free at the graveyard east of Lumiest, but keep an eye out for a Harmonica at the center two shops at the Embassy north of Palmia, it's the lightest instrument available.

Pianists aren't very combat-viable for a while so you'll be relying on your pets to fight for you. Get a gun/bow and stay the hell away from everything.

There's a quasi-exploit you can do where you go up to the Younger Sister's Mansion in the snowy mountains far north of Palmia, it's a secret tile on the map. There's a younger sister shopkeeper here that sells you lunches, if you attack her she'll start summoning bazillions of non-aggressive younger sisters that you can play for. Just make sure you don't play with the shopkeeper on the screen since she'll throw a rock at you.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 2, 2013

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

maketakunai posted:

Little girls are objectively the best

So Japanese it hurts.

This game gives me fits of laughter, but it always, always hates me.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Warning, the entirety of this game is a giant grind. I have literally played a dozen hours on a character and not gotten anywhere. Well, obviously by that point I had a shop, farm, and better skills, but still. The way it's designed, you can literally shuttle back and forth between towns doing boring rear end quests for medals until you are ready to beat the entire game.

The boringness of the grind is somewhat offset by the game's craziness, but be warned. Enjoying this game requires godlike levels of patience.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Nathilus posted:

Warning, the entirety of this game is a giant grind.

This has been improved a bit in Elona+, thankfully. Alongside Traveling being one of the best skills for the way it massively ramps up your training speed and early game power level, there's significantly less taxes against your salary and a new dream that can up the potential of all of your skills, similar to the 'you evolve' of eating a little sister.

Besides, just doing quests is kind of a self-fulfilling propechy for making the game a grind. Better to get an army of murderbeasts and ravage places.

BKPR posted:

Elona+ has reduced the payout from Performer somewhat, but the payoff is that the threshold where people will stop throwing rocks at you is now much lower. It's much easier to survive in Party Time quests now.

Woden
May 6, 2006
When you tell followers to wait in town where do they go? I had 3 Bells that kept dying so I thought I'd park them somewhere but I can't seem to find them in the town I dropped them off in. Tried checking my home and not their either, I just want to park them somewhere so I can go solo some stuff.

Edit: It's the barkeeps that do it, totally missed that when scanning the wiki.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Is Elona+ entirely in Japanese? Should I just get the original? I remember playing this to death a while ago.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Jeoh posted:

Is Elona+ entirely in Japanese? Should I just get the original? I remember playing this to death a while ago.

The first continent has kept its full translation, and all the items and mechanical stuff are still in English. Added NPCs and locations in the second continent start to get less reliable but the wiki can generally get you up to speed.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Jeoh posted:

Elona is entirely English, Elona+ is made in Japanese using the English original as a base, so anything from the original is still English while new stuff could be either? I think that's how it works, honestly I'd probably play the original until plus is fully translated.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Reive posted:

Elona is entirely English, Elona+ is made in Japanese using the English original as a base, so anything from the original is still English while new stuff could be either? I think that's how it works, honestly I'd probably play the original until plus is fully translated.

Just play +. + has all the original in English, and some of the new content in English as well. Also, apparently the bulk of the new content in is hundreds of hours into the game.

Plus makes Elona enjoyable, and a good game, whereas before it was just wacky.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Hey, I remember this. It's sort of like if Morrowind (or any TES game) and Nethack had a baby that grew into an anime-obsessed 13-year-old.

Nathilus posted:

Warning, the entirety of this game is a giant grind. I have literally played a dozen hours on a character and not gotten anywhere. Well, obviously by that point I had a shop, farm, and better skills, but still. The way it's designed, you can literally shuttle back and forth between towns doing boring rear end quests for medals until you are ready to beat the entire game.

The boringness of the grind is somewhat offset by the game's craziness, but be warned. Enjoying this game requires godlike levels of patience.

Enjoying it requires "godlike patience"? Bah on this. I don't doubt that finishing it does, but it's only a grind if you're completely focused on progressing through the main plot line, which is nothing spectacular anyway. The enjoyment comes out of the heaps of randomization and having tons of stuff to do.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

maketakunai posted:

Little girls are objectively the best since they get the most equipment slots, sorry :(

Well my bear did get killed by a hermit crab, but I doubt a little girl could do much better.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Stelas posted:

Elona+ has reduced the payout from Performer somewhat, but the payoff is that the threshold where people will stop throwing rocks at you is now much lower. It's much easier to survive in Party Time quests now.

I think the change is that the performer level required to avoid getting hit by rocks is variable now, depending on the difficulty of the Party Time quest. My understanding on the way it worked/works now:

In old Elona: the Party Time maps were all more or less the same. Some randomness, but whether it was an easy quest or a hard quest, the only difference was that you had a higher point goal. So you could take an easy quest, but if you played on a screen with a noble, they would still chuck rocks at you.

In Elona+: The difficulty check is modified based on the quest level - I took a 4- or 5-star level quest, after rocking out for nobles on a 2-star and completing it - and *everyone* in the 5-star was throwing rocks. I couldn't find a single screen where I could play more than 1 round before getting interrupted.

That's my theory, anyway! Maybe I was just really unlucky.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

Well my bear did get killed by a hermit crab, but I doubt a little girl could do much better.

She can, little girls seriously kick rear end in this game.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
The little girl is an axe wielding maniac and will carry you pretty well into the game. Unless you plan on breeding cats then the best starter pet is the little girl.

Also, the Cyber Dome is full of low level characters that you can level your performance skill on. Once you get a few levels off your pets, the Cyberdome is probably the best place to stop to level it early on.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Nanomashoes posted:

code:
little girl (first pet)
Level 1 Female Roran Warrior
Attributes
Str:	14 (Superb)	Con:	16 (Superb)	Dex:	7 (Good)
Per:	7 (Good)	Lea:	7 (Good)	Wil:	9 (Great)
Mag:	7 (Good)	Cha:	10 (Superb)
Life:	100	Mana:	80	Speed:	96

brown bear (first pet)
Level 1 Bear
Attributes
Str:	9 (Great)	Con:	10 (Superb)	Dex:	5 (Good)
Per:	6 (Good)	Lea:	6 (Good)	Wil:	6 (Good)
Mag:	3 (Bad)	Cha:	5 (Good)
Life:	160	Mana:	80	Speed:	71
The bear has 60 more hit points and that is all. The bear has literally no skills above 4 and the little girl has some skills up to 10. She's a drat murder machine compared to the bear.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Devor posted:

In old Elona: the Party Time maps were all more or less the same. Some randomness, but whether it was an easy quest or a hard quest, the only difference was that you had a higher point goal. So you could take an easy quest, but if you played on a screen with a noble, they would still chuck rocks at you.

I'm 99% certain that even in standard Elona the Party Time maps did change depending on their level - mostly by spawning different groups of villagers in each of the areas of the party maps. Low level quests would have children and old people, going up to groups of punks, and then on to nobles.

Mordaedil posted:

The bear has 60 more hit points and that is all. The bear has literally no skills above 4 and the little girl has some skills up to 10. She's a drat murder machine compared to the bear.

'Life' doesn't directly equal 'Hit Points' - instead it's a modifier that affects how much HP you have. So at the same level and the same strength / constitution / will scores, the bear would have 60% more HP.

I'd still take the little girl, though.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 2, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

While on some downtime in a show I was doing back in 2012, I happened to pull out my laptop and start to play some good ol' Elona. I asked for requests on what character to make, to which I (obviously) got Pianist Snail. Needless to say I was stoned to death immediately, which seemed to amuse the others around me to no end. They wanted to play, so I gave them a shot at the game, which completely entranced them despite their complete lack of understanding. My downtime was over before I could see what wacky antics they would get up to :(

tl;dr Elona makes friends!

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
Little girls are goddamn amazing pets. I gave mine an artifact scythe with nether breath and she is just destroying everything with it. Also marrying her gave me a bunch of good items including a potion of cure corruption so I can finally get rid of my hooves and start rocking my seven league boots.

Playing as a gunner/mage is pretty easy going, although most enemies could kill me in a single hit in the beginning. Now that I actually have decent gear things are finally looking up.

EDIT: Uhh, I just reached 116% evade. That doesn't make me completely unhittable, does it?

Akoogly Eyes fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 2, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

No. Accuracy and evasion both scale into the thousands.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Does Sense Quality no longer exist in Elona+? I seem to be identifying items on my own without it albeit slowly, and I can't find anyone who'll teach me, and I don't seem to have it in my skills list.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's in Yowyn.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

dis astranagant posted:

It's in Yowyn.

Not for me it isn't!

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Stelas posted:

This has been improved a bit in Elona+, thankfully. Alongside Traveling being one of the best skills for the way it massively ramps up your training speed and early game power level, there's significantly less taxes against your salary and a new dream that can up the potential of all of your skills, similar to the 'you evolve' of eating a little sister.

Besides, just doing quests is kind of a self-fulfilling propechy for making the game a grind. Better to get an army of murderbeasts and ravage places.

You have to grind so you can have any murderbeasts/kill anything. Good luck getting anywhere without at least a couple dozen medals. And let's be honest. In vanilla Elona that's more like hundreds. I'm not even sure how long it would take to get to the point you could beat the vanilla plot. I've never gotten anywhere close.

I still like the game and am interested enough to check out plus, but let's not pretend I am misrepresenting how much grinding was involved. Before plus at least. It was incredibly epic.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

Not for me it isn't!

What was your race/class? It's definitely in Elona+ somewhere. Check Noyel as well, that's an option for it.

Nathilus posted:

You have to grind so you can have any murderbeasts/kill anything. Good luck getting anywhere without at least a couple dozen medals.

Even in basic Elona, there are a grand total of something like 90 small medals just lying around towns in fixed locations. Hoover them up when you start out doing escort quests, then plonk a couple of them into superior material scrolls and you can easily be able to shape up to starting dungeons right off the bat. You don't even need any small medals to get a murderbeast - just a couple of poisons, one of the free monster balls from the scientist in Port Kapul, a gold bell in the wilderness, and a bit of luck. Hell, pair up a stock little girl with a rogue warrior from the slave trader and you'll be ready to go through any dungeon up to about difficulty rank 8-10.

As far as Elona+ is concerned, Traveling's fix is important because it means you don't have to go incrementally grinding through gradually harder dungeons. As long as you have the skill you want to level, you're going to be gaining xp in it no matter what you do, which cuts out a lot of the slow progress and instead lets you do pretty much whatever you want without later repercussion.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Not for me it isn't!
You're not looking properly. I just checked in-game, it is.