Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
A little tip: If you get a notification about someone getting assassinated by an unknown hand while you're in town, it might be worthwhile to find the body. You can easily find unique figurines/cards and decent gear off them. You can also cook the corpse and eat the delicious manflesh.

Office Thug posted:

How do you survive combat in this game? The minute a kobold gets beside my warrior dude with 60 health I get completely hosed up in a split second.

Kobolds will gently caress you up early game due to their ridiculously high damage output. Use ranged weapons or let your pet handle them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
To just save time after the third time it didn't work, I've just savescummed about 50 explosions to no success. Maybe this one can't die anymore?

edit: yeah, I just can't kill the person with the dagger. Might she have spawned with some extra special armor or something?

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 2, 2013

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Office Thug posted:

How do you survive combat in this game? The minute a kobold gets beside my warrior dude with 60 health I get completely hosed up in a split second.

Stay the gently caress away from kobolds. Even if you've got good gear and you're wrecking poo poo otherwise, you will prolly get your butt cheeks handed to you. Just stay back and let your pets take care of it.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I've decided to roll a spellcaster and it's extremely annoying to try to get magic vendors to sell me the spellbooks I need. Is there a trick to it? I need more elemental bolts and magic darts.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Heavy neutrino posted:

I've decided to roll a spellcaster and it's extremely annoying to try to get magic vendors to sell me the spellbooks I need. Is there a trick to it? I need more elemental bolts and magic darts.

1) The higher their shop rank, the more items they will sell
2) The wizards guild lets you request particular books
3) Stair scum the puppy cave

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Verviticus posted:

To just save time after the third time it didn't work, I've just savescummed about 50 explosions to no success. Maybe this one can't die anymore?

edit: yeah, I just can't kill the person with the dagger. Might she have spawned with some extra special armor or something?

Probably. The rest of their gear is random.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
So, I used a scroll of inferior material on a happy bed and made it raw... Should I eat it? Will it give me super sleeping powers or something? Or is it better to keep it?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Keep it. Though having any material at all will make it a bit better for sleeping or at least more expensive for house rank.

I'm pretty sure the only time you get anything from eating raw items is that you train stats the item grants and get about a day long buff to the potential of any stat they maintain.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 2, 2013

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sociopastry posted:

Stay the gently caress away from kobolds. Even if you've got good gear and you're wrecking poo poo otherwise, you will prolly get your butt cheeks handed to you. Just stay back and let your pets take care of it.

:shobon:

Take Socio's warning with a grain of salt; kobolds are pretty weak in the grand scheme of things. They're only dangerous to newbies with no health, PV, or damage.

http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Bell_of_emergency will wreck your loving poo poo, however. 1455 speed means if you're riding the horse you can buy at level 30, he still gets 7 turns for everyone 1 of yours. I tried to land some hits on one, and he killed 4 of my pets in 3 turns, and he was able to close the gap and kill me when I used my rod of teleport. Jesus christ.

Edit: I had 560 hp at the time.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

:stare: Now I need to use the rod of domination on one of those. For whom does the bell toll?

Everyone. Everyone.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Oh yeah, also how do I make my spellcaster not die whenever something sneezes on him? I only took feats that make him tankier, but it's not working out.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Oh yeah, also how do I make my spellcaster not die whenever something sneezes on him? I only took feats that make him tankier, but it's not working out.

Do gardening quests, and other things that raise your strength.

Do mining to raise your constitution.

Get a ranch, put a horse in it, then when he makes more horses KILL ALL THE HORSES, AND DEVOUR THEIR HORSEMEATS

Learn Riding and Traveling, which will improve your will.

Drink a blessed potion of restore body (pretty common and cheap from magic vendors) to temporarily buff your con/str by 5 + 10% for 12 months of time.

Get some levels (don't do this just for hp, but when it happens you'll get beefier)

Improve your life (this acts as a global multiplier on your hp total. If you have 110 life, you have 10% more hp than a "normal" person at 100 life). This is hard, but you can wear Rubynus equipment for +3 per piece. If you can kill Big Daddy's (if you're asking the question you probably can't for a long time) then the sisters that spawn after the BD dies can give you +1 life permanently.

Edit: Get a Maid for your house so you can receive visitors. Sometimes you get Guild Trainers who will improve your stat potential for 3p or 4p. Join the fighter's guild to always get the Fighter's guild trainer who will let you train Constitution (always train constitution)

Find, bless, and quaff potions of potential to train all your stats (expensive / rare)

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Where's the most consistent place to find ranch deeds? I've been looking for one for ages now and goddamn if it isn't giving me fits!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Invest a little bit in the 2 deed shops in the tax office.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Well that's annoying. Elona+ makes Elona unable to read diagonal inputs from a controller, breaking the radial menu. Anyone have any idea if this can be fixed?

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 3, 2013

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
What's the best way to find / make Rubynus gear? I'd really like to get a piece (or upgrade a piece of equipment) to rubynus for my bells, but have yet to see one. I've even tried superior mat scrolls, but none have worked.

In other news, I was tickled by the new feature in Elona+ where certain enemies ask to join you after you kill them. I have the Mad Scientist now hanging out with me. Although, he'll most likely be gene fodder as he's a wizard base that has no spells.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's one of the very top end materials so you'll have to go through a million scrolls just like dragon scale. I've seen it fairly frequently in level 50+ shops, especially black markets that have been leveled to full capacity (about 4500, don't do this if you aren't made of money)

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

It's one of the very top end materials so you'll have to go through a million scrolls just like dragon scale. I've seen it fairly frequently in level 50+ shops, especially black markets that have been leveled to full capacity (about 4500, don't do this if you aren't made of money)

Well, I've been investing in the Derphy black market, so I'll try investing a little in this. I'm sitting at $150k right now with no plans for it, so I can throw that into a shop.

My main goals for now are all gear / pet based, so money really doesn't do a whole lot for me.

Things on my to do list:

1. Collect enough medals to buy Diablo (doing this through dungeon clearing as opposed to set medals)
2. Collect even more medals for another rod of domination
3. Dominate an Asura
4. Give Asura Diablo, and crazy equipment so that he can tank for my murderbells
5. Profit

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The base cost for investing past about 150 is 500k, just fyi.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Verviticus posted:

Nukes deal a flat 1000 damage (I think), he had armor that bumped him up over 1000 hp. You miiiiiight be able to kill him if you set off two nukes on turns right after each other.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Just had a night in my glasswork happy bed - treasure map dream, and two "gains potential". I don't think it's possible to get much better than that. And rather than having a target to hit with dumping plat into skills - I'm just going through and leveling up everything that's below 40% potential, then once that's all trained, 50%, etc...

Gotta train that swimming skill!

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

maketakunai posted:

Nukes deal a flat 1000 damage (I think), he had armor that bumped him up over 1000 hp. You miiiiiight be able to kill him if you set off two nukes on turns right after each other.

This would double my efforts to kill the guy in hopes his armor dropped.

I just did more progress than my last save had in 10 hours. Elona+ is pretty great.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

So yeah, even with JoyToKey, Elona+ is unplayable with a gamepad. You can't use the radial menu with the in-game settings and it's too hypersensitive to input from JoyToKey. Also opening your inventory and firing crashes the game.

Welp, there goes my motivation to play.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Miijhal posted:

So yeah, even with JoyToKey, Elona+ is unplayable with a gamepad. You can't use the radial menu with the in-game settings and it's too hypersensitive to input from JoyToKey. Also opening your inventory and firing crashes the game.

Welp, there goes my motivation to play.

Play with the keyboard then?

The game's really, really not suited for a controller and is really loving clunky when using one. You're best off using the keyboard.
Really. Even with the base game, gamepad control was terrible.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh man this game is so fun with Elona+. I'm a Yerles or whatever the gently caress Gunner with a +18 tohit machinegun :getin:. I also have the Yerles machinegunner slave, a random warrior to tank, and a little girl with basically all my dungeon loot thrown on all of those three. I quickly started out damaging the machinegunner, but he's still ridiculously useful, spraying death from afar.

Maybe it helped that I learned that slaves were a thing, idk.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

InfinityComplex posted:

Play with the keyboard then?

The game's really, really not suited for a controller and is really loving clunky when using one. You're best off using the keyboard.
Really. Even with the base game, gamepad control was terrible.
The gamepad was honestly the only way I could stand playing it. Way more comfortable and easier to manage with only a handful of buttons.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 3, 2013

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Miijhal posted:

The gamepad was honestly the only way I could stand playing it. Way more comfortable and easier to manage with only a handful of buttons.

You don't really need to use all the buttons even on a keyboard - you can get by for most of the game using z, x, tab, g (I think) and enter. It'll be dirt-slow but you can do it.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 3, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Aw gently caress yeah, I love Elona. I never managed to do anything significant or get far in the plot despite my many hundreds of hours, but the insanity kept me playing. Time to reroll my starey little bald green baby wearing a potato sack, and try out Elona+.

Is rod of dominion the only way to get bells? I tried so many times to capture one with a pokeball and they just have too much crazy evade. And then they vanish on you.

e: Also you can change your Little Girl sprite to be like an editable character sprite. I gave mine a ballgown, blue pigtails, and eyepatch.

e2: The Elona+ "click here to download" button sends me to 404 :qq:

Corridor fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 3, 2013

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Corridor posted:

e2: The Elona+ "click here to download" button sends me to 404 :qq:

That's because it's updated!

1.19 link

e: Wow, holy crap:

Elona Wiki posted:

• A new type of character has been added (Lava golem)
  • Prevented the unequipping and equipping of equipment during brainwashing.
  • Pets can no longer vanish in the pet show room and pet arena.
  • You now get bonus spell power depending on how high your elemental resist on that element is.
  • Mani's god gem's power has been adjusted and doesn't hit you anymore.
  • There will now be a sound effect for starvation.
  • You can now see spell potential on your spell select screen.
  • Spell stock consumption now lowered by 1/3.
  • Spellbooks now cost half price.
  • Removed the 1% spell potential gain after reading a book.
  • Sleeping will now let you gain 20% more spell potential on all spells except for ones that you don't have stocks to.
  • Trainers will now train your chosen skill's potential by 20% no matter what.
  • Added a special skill on all melee weapons except scythes that depends on your weapon proficiency scores.
    • (The special skill was intended to be something like Decapitation, but it seems we've reached the limit on how many invokes a weapon could have, so yeah)
    • It's proc rate is dependant on your skill level with the weapon and can activate once per turn.
    • You can set custom flavor text for this skill by editing the txtSpecial file.
    • You can only use this skill with an HP no less than 6/7.
    • If your opponent is wielding a weapon on their main hand, the special skill can be rendered invalid based on their greater evasion.
    • Even if it wasn't blocked by greater evasion, it still helps on lowering its damage.
    • Furthermore, even if it's in the same weapon category the invoked special skill will sometimes be different, but it's power and effect is still based on its original category. (For example, short swords and kitchen knives will use the short sword special skill, while ninja swords and pirate swords will use the long sword special skill. Even though they use different special skills, their power is still dependant on the short sword skill)
  • In relation with the update above (special weapon skills), fighter type NPCs' starting weapons will now be fixed. (Like minotaurs always spawning with heavy axes fit for two hand wielding, etc.)
  • Shield bash damage increased by a fair amount.
    • However, if your opponent is wielding a shield as well, the power of your shield bash will be lowered depending on their shield skill and greater evasion.
    • Its additional effect (dim?) can't be blocked.
    • Also, shield bashes can now only be used if your HP is no less than 6/7.
  • Tonfas activate a different skill now.
  • You can now set custom phrases for your PC now.
  • Forbidden meat effect changed.
    • If blessed, it'll change the consumer's gender to male or female.
    • Normal ones will change the consumer's gender into a would-be male or would-be female.
    • If cursed, it'll change the consumer's gender to a hermaphrodite or remove its gender.
  • Since the unique NPCs on the third continent are pretty weak, several of them will now be generating precious artifacts.
  • If your natural resistance on an element is now at 200 (normal resistance), food that increases/decreases your resistances will now produce no effect. For reference, No Resist is a score of 100 resistance.
  • NPC magic resistance will now increase depending on their level. The starting value for their magic resistance is at 100 and caps at 200 (its increase will start at lv51 and ends at lv300).
  • You can now prevent your pets from casting magic and using skills you don't want them to by exchanging 20AP to Leold.

[Fixes]

• Fixed a bug where the sex-changed NPC doesn't show the right indicator on their conversation screen.
  • Fixed Mani's god gems description to show that its attack is of electric element.
  • Fixed conversation dialogue of generic NPCs in Arcbelc.
  • Fixed a bug that causes an error when you enter a garden without the gardening skill.
  • Fixed a bug that causes an error when you kill livestock in your ranch without the anatomy skill.
  • Fixed the amount of things you can put on a compost.
    • The place where the composts are in the older version has been changed into a grassland.
    • Newly generated gardens will now have 5 composts.
  • Weapons that had their names changed (by Garok, using the user/item folder files) will now display the correct name when wield proudly.
  • Fixed a bug where you can't finish unique sub quests after entering the Amur-Cage.
  • Fixed the cut damage on attacker attribute conditions.
  • Adjusted the cycle of appearing enemies inside The Void.

That's a lot of spellcaster buffs, and a major boost to everyone else.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 3, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Yaaaaay it works. I will be a horrid green child in no time!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I tried Elona+ last night and it quickly became clear that, yep, I still have no goddamn clue what I'm doing in this game. It was fun rampaging around as Freddy Mercury with a glass machinegun and somehow causing a random innkeeper to go insane by prostituting myself to her though. Also some guy's armour stand was made of rawwork and I ate it secretly while he wasn't looking and then my little girl drank some dude's vomit and then fell down a well and died.

:psyduck:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Is there are list or anything somewhere that gives details on what the debug races are like?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Geokinesis posted:

Is there are list or anything somewhere that gives details on what the debug races are like?

Here. They all exist in the game, just not usually for character selection. Many will be missing equipment slots. (Bears can't wear armor, but can wear boots. Criminally, they can't wear hats.)

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
Is the 1.19 compatible with 1.18 saves?

Woden
May 6, 2006
Yes it is.

I can't remember how to farm the good things, like rare scrolls, wishes, etc, or how to get money faster than singing to people in party time quests.

Saw a monster on the wiki called a Mra, looks like it'd make an awesome mount but I have no idea where to find one. It's level 174, so I guess my best bet is to just find a really high level dungeon and keep on going in and out til one spawns?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Stelas posted:

Here. They all exist in the game, just not usually for character selection. Many will be missing equipment slots. (Bears can't wear armor, but can wear boots. Criminally, they can't wear hats.)

Do they have special feats like the proper races?

(Also as I managed to get elona+ working for me; if anyone else has issues with it crashing after language select, in the config file set both sound and music to 2.)

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

You have gained a level. You gain a new skill, Rubbing.

Skills>Rubbing>rub npc>which direction?

You rubbed Adelfeus the prostitue.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Geokinesis posted:

Do they have special feats like the proper races?

I think they're all turned off if they're the player.

Woden posted:

I can't remember how to farm the good things, like rare scrolls, wishes, etc, or how to get money faster than singing to people in party time quests.

For rare scrolls, invest in magic stores. For high level wands of wishing, invest in goods stores. Money ends up being a combination of dungeon delving (40k for completing a level 25 dungeon, ish) and a high level shop, not to mention making the big bucks on quests once you can handle high difficulty Beauty and the Beast runs.

quote:

Saw a monster on the wiki called a Mra, looks like it'd make an awesome mount but I have no idea where to find one. It's level 174, so I guess my best bet is to just find a really high level dungeon and keep on going in and out til one spawns?

Chances are good that's going to be on the second continent. Either way, good loving luck dominating it until you're much closer to its level.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Stelas posted:

Chances are good that's going to be on the second continent. Either way, good loving luck dominating it until you're much closer to its level.

Does anyone know how much the monster heart actually improves your dominating? And is there a way to find a list of monsters with the Horse flag that lets you use them as mounts without them going to crap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Stelas posted:

That's a lot of spellcaster buffs, and a major boost to everyone else.

The real question is, is it enough to actually play a spellcaster yet?