Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Okay well I haven't played this for a whole week so you fuckers better get in the Mumble and make it worth my while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
There's only three of us in the Mumble at the moment. Siege is a fun game mode. Just like all the others.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
There's only two of us in the Mumble at the moment, so jump on in. Nurdbot's talking about cutting some of the events if our attendence is too low, so you can make a difference this very moment.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
EU Siege in six minutes.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
The Friday EU battle is starting soon, so get in the Mumble channel. But do not mumble, speak clearly.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
The EU event is starting in ten minutes time.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
The EU Siege event is upon us. Please join the mumble channel for the 'tails (details) so we can get 'yonettin' (bayonetting).

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
There is an EU line battle in 10 minutes time. Let's go for the dizzying heights of 14 goons attending like we had on Friday.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
The EU siege event starts in five minutes, so get in the mumble. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised as to what faction we are playing.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
In the meanwhile, we have a line battle with regular ol' NW in about 20 minutes, so get on into the Mumble.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !

SeanBeansShako posted:

It is fine, It is to be expected what being the big rear end social holiday of the US happening today.

Anywho, we have a Blood And Iron event in less than 50 minutes, It is being run by the KPR who have a pretty good rule set and aren't fascinated with trench fighting so it should be a blast. Might get us Artillery if I can.

Also, PhantomZero passed me these pictures of this years Waterloo reenactment.

Everyone is way too clean.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Hey there history-marine, we're not infantry tonight! We are artillery, so get in the mumble right now!

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Yo so this is a warband mod that seems to have weekly events.
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,313.0.html

Seems to be set in 300bc so I guess it'll mostly be about shield walls.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
I recommend our clan tag for Rome at War is S.P.R.G or Pontius Pilate and the Crucifiers.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
The Argo-nots.

edit: Jupiter's Cocks

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Okay so for standardising the tag, it's [S*P*R*G]Boocengetorix or whatever your name is. Icon is the white dog in the red circle. Feel free to riff of your normal username but it'd be helpful if enough was recognisable against your Mumble name.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
What we learned tonight about playing Rome at War:

- Tread lightly, because you are treading on someone's dreams.

- Pila are awesome and correctly deployed they should shatter all those shields that make blocking so easy.

- Hoplites are rubbish because they can't use pila.

- We are terrible at melee combat. Maybe when the encumbrance system is switched on we can all be peltasts and lead a merry chase away from heavy infantry.

- LP cannot be trusted.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Also keep in mind that tonight was for most of us the very first time playing the mod, so I think we did quite well despite all the defeats. As for the antagonistic tone, I think I'm to blame. I should have deflected the first "wow goons suck" with the fact that it was our first day, rather than blaming the system. I broke my own rule about getting super serious over allchat.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !

Gimnbo posted:

Well they don't know that. Yet.

I know my problem as hoplite was that I was too hesitant to drop the spear. I kind of think that distance between the tip of the spear/bayonet and the range of the short sword/sabre briquet is where most goons die. We go from terrible to meh once we close the distance.

If someone is attacking you with with a spear, it's probably best to drop your own and start swedging them with your sword. We mostly died due to being rusty at quick melee skills, where a fast sword close up is a good way of overwhelming someone regardless of their load-out. It doesn't help that my instinctive sword attack is to slash rather than stab, especially when I'm moving and most of the era-appropriate weapons are better at stabbing. At one point I had to slash someone six or seven times to put them down.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
This is the NA Rome at War event I was talking about Nurdbot:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,285157.0.html

4pm/9pm EST/BST on a Sunday sounds extremely handy for everyone's schedule.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
There's a Rome at War event in an hour's time that I thought we might want to attend, given the setting of everyone's favourite game right now. Instead of being a man telling mans what to do, be one of those mans and learn to resent the man. If you need the mod, the download details are further up the thread.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !

VulgarandStupid posted:

Is this mod good?

Goons seem to be enjoying it so far. It's a little rough around the edges and the community is even smaller and set in their ways than NW though. The setting lends itself pretty well to line battles I have to say, which is why I'm so excited about the upcoming Roman civil war mod.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
I've put in an application for that event on the off chance they password protect it. I gave our preferred faction as Rome because of our tag and the fact that pila are the shiz.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Well you are of course entitled to your opinion as a human being and I'm sorry that it's enough to keep you from what is otherwise a fun mod. Just remember to keep opinions to mumble, or there's no chance of defusing the situation.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
I'll add a caveat to the no responding to taunts in chat rule with this. You can respond but must quote the following verbatim with no mistakes and no pauses.

quote:

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the agoge, and I’ve been involved in numerous last stands against the Persians, and I have over 300 confirmed fellow Spartiates. I am trained in phalanx warfare and I’m the top hoplite on the entire Greek peninsula. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the gently caress out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with saying that poo poo to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my friend Ephialtes and your goat trail is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re loving dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my xiphos. Not only am I extensively trained in pankration, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Greek city states and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable rear end off the face of the continent, you little poo poo. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your loving tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re loving dead, kiddo.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Well I thought the RaW event quite well despite some difficulties at the end. Personally though I can't wait for the Roman civil war mod to get a fresh community without any entrenched opinions or behavior but it's nice to see a good goon turn-out for the events we've done so far. The next one is Sunday 4pm EST/ 9pm BST so with those times I hope there's a good American and Euro turn-out.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !

Gimnbo posted:

Never thought we'd get a "No, really, I'm with the goons" guy but there he was.

Whichever random goon that was really needs to post in the thread, and I find it hard to believe that a computer that can run Warband can't run Mumble, even in low-bandwidth speak-and-spell robot mode. I want to believe he was a goon because he was pretty tidy at killing folk.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
So is it the opinion of the majority of you guys that we shouldn't play the Wednesday RaW event because of drama? It's an open event so you can attend it on your own anyway, but if enough of you like it I'm prepared to risk it as personally I found it fun despite the problems.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !

Gimnbo posted:

Personally I find Unnamed Insufferable Assholes easy enough to ignore even on a small event so I'm down to attend.

I also think it's blown out of proportion how insufferable they are. It's really not much different from Goons critiquing their team in other events.

I'll list the event in steam. Turn up if you have the patience, the mod itself is really fun especially since we've found our niche has high-speed-low-drag light infantry that reshape the battlefield to suit our whims. I think most of the hostility comes from the fact that we just burst into the community as a fully formed group.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Ginmbo is correct, it's mostly been overstated. Basically, we get same kind of stick we get in NW when we get ourselves killed. Most of goons defensiveness comes from the correct assertion that we're new to the mod and also we're all useless idiots.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Event is at 7 BST aka 1 hour and 15 minutes away.

edit: Alan and anyone else playing RaW for the first time, make sure you make a new Warband profile with the [S*P*R*G] tag and the white dog in the red dot banner. Bonus points for making your usual handle sound Roman or Greek or Gaulish or whatever the gently caress.

Boogoose fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 18, 2013

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Luckily, Bello Civilii is pretty loving dope so as soon as some decent events get set up along NW line battle rules, we should be able to shed the confines of RaW events like the Great Red Dragon rids itself of the placenta of humanity.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Yes Nurdbot is in favour of the skull but I suspect it will be very popular. My picks are all on the last page of banners as shown below. I feel the antelope represents our willingness to run away, the clown chia pet is just plain funny, and the goggle-fish just seems so indignant about something like we always are.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Oh and for Bello Civilii it's [S*P*R*G]username = strange flowerpot clown chia pet thing on the last page of banners. You'll know it when you see it.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
We're having an actual Napoleonic Wars event in ten minutes. No Romans, no Gauls, no camels or elephants or wild donkeys, just good clean fun with muskets. Please put yourself inside the Mumble channel for the server details.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Gentlemen, in 20 minutes time we are back in business. Get into the mumble right now and scratch that itch with a 17 inch bayonet.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
I haven't been able to check if RaW is on tonight, working the weekend. Someone just take a look at the events on the taleworlds subforum to see if it's on. No password usually for this, just drop in the only populated server in three and a half hours

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Okay scrubs, we're playing Bello Civilii in just about 5 minutes. The mod itself is pretty new so it hasn't had a chance to be poo poo yet or so I understand, so give it a go.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Okay so it seems that for BC some other regiment has started using the Egyptian sunbird symbol for their banner. In order to to promote cohesion and general peace and harmony, we might need to select a new banner. Please post a picture from the banner selection screen of your selection, with at least 200 words supporting your decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Yes we really need some good numbers tonight for the karmic betterment of Nurdbot's aura. Drop in the mumble, you don't need to bring anything just your good self an a rock-hard erection for early 19th century combat.

• Locked thread