Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Ditch the Specter for Fang, and Dragon over Kanikabuto.
Will you be showing any full battles on later maps? This is like the third time you guys have raved about the attack animations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The animations are great, I promise. :sweatdrop: Most of the better ones are too big for gifs so I'm going to be putting together a montage video of them. I wasn't sure if there would be enough animations in the first chapter to justify making a video for it, but I don't think anyone is going to really want to watch a 10 minute video of just animations, so I'll see if I can do that tonight. Believe me, you don't want to see a full battle in video, it's boring as poo poo.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~
This was one of the more interesting YGO spin-offs. I didn't like it, but it sure wasn't any of the early GBC/GBA games.

Lobster_Horde
Dec 21, 2012

FEEDING FRENZY
I loved the hell out of this game as a kid, but I wasn't very good at it. I just left Yugi/Kaiba in the home base with some stuff that hasn't been covered yet that kept respawned mooks from attacking them, and sent all the expendable teams to whittle down the enemy while my leader stayed safe from defeat.

I didn't get very far with that, obviously, so it's great to see someone who is actually competent at the game.

My vote is therefore for whichever option you want.

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!
Replace the crab and the specter for the wolf and dragon, respectively.

As an aside, I would watch a video of the attack animations, as that's that only thing that got me through Forbidden Memories (that and a gameshark anyway).

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

booksnake posted:

So what you're saying is, on the next map, Kuriboh is stronger than Penguin Soldier? Sold.

Swap the crab and penguin for the new monsters.

This.

It seems like water monsters in general are kinda at a disadvantage. All the fights so far have been on land; being able to move quickly and fight well in water doesn't matter if you never actually fight in the water.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
Silver wolf is cool as heck, I don't care if he is a 1200 vanilla.

Replace the crab and the specter for the wolf and dragon, respectively. Because it's the obvious, best choice.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

All I ask is that you take Kuriboh to the endgame.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

fool_of_sound posted:

Swap out the crab and penguin.

I want to see Kuriboh used as long as possible.

I was going to suggest something else, but then I saw that second line.
Use Kuriboh as long as he is theoretically viable. (I.e. not one shot by the first attack)

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Artix posted:

Unfortunately for Shimon, that means Fizdis gets the nod over him once we get some more marshals and actually have to leave people behind due to the deployment limit. Discount is really useful early in the game.

I was more bringing up that I didn't want any of the games' own characters in this. I thought Shimon was mandatory for the first few chapters. If he's not mandatory, I have no problem dropping him in favor of Fizdis.

I always thought Fizdis was a boy when I played these games...

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Seriously though, it was hard as hell to find an actual Yu-Gi-Oh game with the actual, you know, card game as it is when I was a kid. Forbidden Memories was tough and obtuse as all hell, Duelist of the Roses was a weird strategy-game with cheating NPCs (Yeah okay game, I can only field five monsters while my opponent gets unlimited, that's fair. :argh:), and this is, well, this. I just wanted to play some card games!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The GBA games were generally good about this.
Nowadays you have the PSN game, the PSP tag games (though the AI Partner is a blithering idiot. It feels like a handicap match most of the time), the DS games, and duelingnetwork.
Yes, I may have owned every one of these games for the Cards that came with it...

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

Terper posted:

I just wanted to play some card games!
So then buy a deck and play the drat card game? :confused:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

asymmetrical posted:

So then buy a deck and play the drat card game? :confused:

I live in the middle of Nowheresville, Finland. No one to play with!

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Terper posted:

There's about five different online simulators. Unless you want the magic of real cards. There is something magic about it. Expensive, but magic.

So you needed six full runs to get 100%? I never knew that, but then I never bothered to collect all the monsters. Once was enough for me.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Ephraim225 posted:

There's about five different online simulators. Unless you want the magic of real cards. There is something magic about it. Expensive, but magic.

So you needed six full runs to get 100%? I never knew that, but then I never bothered to collect all the monsters. Once was enough for me.

Six full runs if you start with Yugi. It's seven if you were unfortunate enough to pick Kaiba first. :shepicide:

E: Okay, I lied, it's still six if you start with Kaiba, it just changes the order that you have to do it in.

Artix fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 4, 2013

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I know this is probably a bit early to ask, but how does this game compare to the later released Duelists of Roses? This game seems more involved than Duelists of Roses in the way of mechanics but seems to much more unpolished in return. Of course, I have only the vaguest recollection of that game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Terper posted:

Do not play real-life Yugioh. Especially now.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Tae posted:

I thought yugioh prices crashed down pretty hard, making it relatively cheap to pick up a decent deck. Unless you are mad at the new mechanics the game has.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

stoutfish posted:

I thought yugioh prices crashed down pretty hard, making it relatively cheap to pick up a decent deck. Unless you are mad at the new mechanics the game has.

What cheap deck is there that's competitive? E-Dragons, Prophecy, etc. are at least 100 bucks each. Or if you're counting currently, Mermail isn't that cheap either.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Tae posted:

What cheap deck is there that's competitive? E-Dragons, Prophecy, etc. are at least 100 bucks each. Or if you're counting currently, Mermail isn't that cheap either.

100 bucks is pretty cheap to me. But maybe that's because 1000 dollar decks use to be a thing, and my view is skewed.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oGU_dxIR2E

I'll add this to the end of the Chapter 1 update, the song is Yugi's standard battle theme.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:golfclap:

It's a shame to lose some of the sound effects that accompany attacks, but it's worth it to provide Yugi's battle theme. The music is another of the game's strong points.

I honestly can't think of a bad track.

Jynxite
May 1, 2013
Replace Shadow Spectre with Silver Wolf, and make turtle soup for Blackland Fire Dragon.
Yugi is fine with his team.
On a side note, you mentioned the orbs; what are Fizmis and Shimon's?

Gensuki posted:

I was more bringing up that I didn't want any of the games' own characters in this. I thought Shimon was mandatory for the first few chapters. If he's not mandatory, I have no problem dropping him in favor of Fizdis.

Actually, Fizdis was in another game before this, but only briefly. She was in the Forbidden Memories as a servant, but she was captured by Seto when the palace was attacked.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Just started playing myself.

gently caress wandering monsters and the random rear end lose mechanic making me restart the mission.

:argh:

At least we'll have more awesome monsters soon. :sparkles:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wait, what?! Turn based combat? RTS mechanics? Yugioh monsters fighting roaming packs of wolves for exp? :psyduck: I don't know what to believe any more.

So yeah, I'll follow this one for sheer :psyduck: value, because I still can't believe this is real. I remember playing an old PS2 Yugioh game that had a war of the roses theme, and I thought that made no sense. This however... is a thing. A thing I oddly feel compelled to go and buy now.

Oh, and Best be using Kuriboh, son. :colbert: I watched this show when I was a kid, so I know. He may usually be a weak trash monster that everybody mocks, but when the cards are down he's loving clutch.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 4, 2013

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Sydin posted:

Wait, what?! Turn based combat? RTS mechanics? Yugioh monsters fighting roaming packs of wolves for exp? :psyduck: I don't know what to believe any more.
:allears: This is a great post.

For those of you who are asking, I can guarantee that this game makes more internal sense than Duelist of the Roses. (Also, I played enough of that game to know that the answer to everything in it was Pumpking. More and more Pumpking.)

TFK's gameplay did cause me to develop a catchphrase, though. Three very particular words.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Yapping Eevee posted:

:allears: This is a great post.

For those of you who are asking, I can guarantee that this game makes more internal sense than Duelist of the Roses. (Also, I played enough of that game to know that the answer to everything in it was Pumpking. More and more Pumpking.)

TFK's gameplay did cause me to develop a catchphrase, though. Three very particular words.

:allears: Pumpking in Duelist of the Roses.

Anyway, since I know not all of you interested in the card game go to ADTRW, so I figured I'd shill my IRC for card games and the like #saccg on SynIRC. If you don't want me to, Artix, I'll drop this part.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Specter gets tossed for the Dragon, and toss the crab for Silver Fang

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Senerio posted:

:allears: Pumpking in Duelist of the Roses.

Huh, I just got the password for Mirror Wall and prayed for it to appear in most of the duels. Hooray for slightly more legit game breakers!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tae posted:

Well, of course I don't play anymore. It was hard as balls to find an actual Yu-Gi-Oh game -when I was a kid-, and now I've got no interest in playing with people.
Unless we got an online Goon tournament. That'd be neat. There was mention of several online simulators; any good ones?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Dueling Network is the big one, but I haven't played in ages, so who knows. There's an ADTRW thread on card game anime if you want in on sperging about how 5Ds was ruined forever in the second half, though.

I never played any of the games, although I did own a strategy guide for one of the games (not this one; I think it was a reenactment of Battle City but with a different main character) and I played the gently caress out of a demo for one of the computer games. I still have the disk (and my Windows 98 machine. gently caress).

Anyway, take Kuriboh to the end game. It's not Yu-Gi-Oh! without a Kuriboh.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I can probably get a tournament off the ground once I finish up with finals, and crush you get crushed with my Machine Deck.

DuelingNetwork is the big one, and the best. I used Lackey when DuelingNetwork didn't work at my college, but that was not nearly as good.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I'd be interested in some YGO games but wouldn't it be best to make a thread in TG for that?

And replace Shimon's Shadow Specter with the dragon. No point in being mean for a game that no-one else would do.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Let's call voting with that. Results in a second.

Blackland Fire Dragon:
To Yugi - 2
To Fizdis - 6
To Shimon - 7

My choice - 1

Silver Fang:
To Yugi - 1
To Fizdis - 10
To Shimon - 2

My choice - 1

Shimon walks away with the dragon, and Fizdis gets Silver Fang, with Kanikabuto and Shadow Specter getting kicked to the bench. The next vote will probably be after Chapter 3? I'm pretty sure we don't get any new monsters this map.

Artix fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 4, 2013

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I mean technically you can swap around monsters between Marshalls (Like the guide suggests giving Shadow Spector to Yugi and replacing the Feral Imp), but I don't think you get anymore until number 3.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Jynxite posted:

Replace Shadow Spectre with Silver Wolf, and make turtle soup for Blackland Fire Dragon.
Yugi is fine with his team.
On a side note, you mentioned the orbs; what are Fizmis and Shimon's?

Actually, Fizdis was in another game before this, but only briefly. She was in the Forbidden Memories as a servant, but she was captured by Seto when the palace was attacked.

Fizdis has a brightish white orb, I don't remember Shimon's

Also, I said games', not game's. Shimon is also in Duelist of the Roses. He's the intro character for the red rose faction, and a later boss for the white rose.

He uses...I think a stone golem deck.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Taking all bets on whether Artix has to re-record after he finds out there is actually a monster encounter next mission. :v:

Also, a lot of the character portraits will look familiar to people who played Forbidden Memories. Hell, pretty much all the enemy portraits are taken from that game. Look at Etos!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Yapping Eevee posted:

Taking all bets on whether Artix has to re-record after he finds out there is actually a monster encounter next mission. :v:

And yet, I still get the last laugh because I was at work all day, and won't be recording until a bit later tonight. :smug:

(I totally would have missed that encounter if I hadn't remembered to double-check the guide before recording, I was thinking of Kaiba's story)

Artix fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Just a note: Time Wizard in this mode is not labeled in two areas of the guide. Make sure you don't almost miss him like I did.

Also, Kuriboh's a beast.

• Locked thread