Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Because someone has to, I'm going to guess there's no roaming monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

My guess is that black dot on the "eastern" coast of the map.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Also going No Roaming Monster. Only mentioning it now is suspicious.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It's suspicious for me to say "Okay, these are the rules that basically every map will have from now on, and just for the record not every map has a monster so don't always assume they do?" :raise: I mean, I have to point that out eventually, it might as well be on the first one that I'm not blatantly spelling things out for you.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
My coin flip tells me that there are no wandering monsters this map.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
No roaming monsters. They had one (or more) for the past three levels, right? So pattern recognition says nothing on this one and possibly the next.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Artix posted:

It's suspicious for me to say "Okay, these are the rules that basically every map will have from now on, and just for the record not every map has a monster so don't always assume they do?" :raise: I mean, I have to point that out eventually, it might as well be on the first one that I'm not blatantly spelling things out for you.

Yeah, it is if only because you didn't originally mention it with the safari post. Screams "Wait, didn't think about that at the time, let's add it in before problems come up." I mean, this could be because you might be thinking a few missions ahead but most LPs never go that far ahead in screenshot heavy LPs like this.

Might have been slightly less suspicious if you just included in that post that the Safari rules had been further updated?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

AfroSquirrel posted:

Can our commanders swim? If so, then our monster is under the sea.

This, but specifically in the northern half of the water, about halfway between the two closest towns.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
If I were going to put a monster in there somewhere, I would put it in the middle of that brown part of the map.

...I don't think I'll ever say there are no monsters. That would be a boring way to win points, even if I'm right.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012

I think it's here, out of the way enough in my mind. Plus it's a different colour.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
I'm going to take a stab at slightly to the right of the yellow spot on the map.

Because I could guess no monster, but that would be boring.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I'm gonna guess it's in the middle of that brown patch on the top right, because it just seems like you'd have to go as far out of your way as possible.

pyrrhickong
May 17, 2010

The Hell's "beefcake" mean anyway?
Man my memory is totally failing me...

But I'm pretty sure there's no roaming monsters on this one. Or if there are, I think it's time-related as opposed to locationally. I think at least one of them does that, though I don't THINK they come up this early. Or maybe I'm completely misremembering.

All I remember is I love the sprite they took from Forbidden Memories for the boss of this chapter.

Mathjanaelk
Nov 2, 2011

Like xelada, I think that this is a good area for a monster, however I think that it's hiding over here instead.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Once again a Blue dot. Seems like the perfect time to get a sea based monster.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

mateo360 posted:

Once again a Blue dot. Seems like the perfect time to get a sea based monster.

I will guess what he's guessing, and I'll also guess that Fizdis is required to get it.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
I think the monster is on the beach at the bottom of the map. I also think it is character-specific-probably for Tristan.

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008
Man, this game. I had no idea what it was when I picked it up. It was surprisingly fun, though. I seriously had no idea there were roaming monsters, I don't think I picked up any of those in the entire game.

As far as the contest goes, is there really any point to putting up a map for guesses if there isn't a roaming monster on the map? What are you going to do, give a point to every person who says there isn't one? Seems to me like it would make more sense to leave it for only maps that have them.

This comment has nothing to do with whether there's a roaming monster on this map or not, I have no idea.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012

Plopped my guess on the blue x there. It's an unremarkable spot, so they may had to have placed SOMETHING there, at least.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm guessing it's in that dark spot just to the right of the north eastern town.

Also, I think I played this game when I was a kid, but it might have been another Yu-Gi-Oh game on the playstation.

Teavian
Oct 9, 2012

I'm guessing that it is in the exact center of the tan spot in the middle of the map. In fact, I think the faint dotted line passes right through it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Bottom Right Corner, in the ocean. Not character specific.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Yakumo posted:

As far as the contest goes, is there really any point to putting up a map for guesses if there isn't a roaming monster on the map? What are you going to do, give a point to every person who says there isn't one? Seems to me like it would make more sense to leave it for only maps that have them.

Two reasons: First, the game doesn't tell you a goddamn thing, so you're expected to search every map like there is one, regardless of their presence or not (and a majority of the maps in the game do have one, so that paranoia is warranted). This "blind" experience is the exact thing I'm trying to simulate, and what's the fun in putting up only maps that have monsters?

Second, even when presented with the possibility that there are no monsters on the map, people have guessed 16-6 in favor of there being one. Maybe it's because we're still early, but if that sort of ratio continues throughout the game there won't be that many points given out for no monsters, and in fact, I expect it to decrease when they don't have the supposed benefit of me pointing out there might not be a monster on the map.

At any rate, the update is recorded so submissions are now closed.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Artix posted:

Two reasons: First, the game doesn't tell you a goddamn thing, so you're expected to search every map like there is one, regardless of their presence or not (and a majority of the maps in the game do have one, so that paranoia is warranted). This "blind" experience is the exact thing I'm trying to simulate, and what's the fun in putting up only maps that have monsters?

Second, even when presented with the possibility that there are no monsters on the map, people have guessed 16-6 in favor of there being one. Maybe it's because we're still early, but if that sort of ratio continues throughout the game there won't be that many points given out for no monsters, and in fact, I expect it to decrease when they don't have the supposed benefit of me pointing out there might not be a monster on the map.

On the other hand, if someone wants to game the system, then they should just say that there are no monsters on the map every time (unless it's really obvious that there are). After all, they'll be right ~14 times, and what are the odds of successfully being the one person who gets the location and/or condition correct?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Dirk the Average posted:

On the other hand, if someone wants to game the system, then they should just say that there are no monsters on the map every time (unless it's really obvious that there are). After all, they'll be right ~14 times, and what are the odds of successfully being the one person who gets the location and/or condition correct?

In which case I disqualify them for not trying? I mean, do you seriously take me as being so incompetent that I can't police my own contest? :raise:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

I think you might be considering this a bit too seriously, mate.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

I think you might be considering this a bit too seriously, mate.

I don't think it's possible to take contests related to children's card games seriously enough.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Ramos posted:

I don't think it's possible to take contests related to children's card games seriously enough.

Because as we all know, that's how all conflicts are resolved. Especially those relating to lines of succession.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I have amended the rules post in light of the issues brought up. Now, are we done playing Rules Laywer or can we move on?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dirk the Average posted:

Well, there goes my top secret game theory. I was hoping to manage to play dumb for a few more points.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
There is a monster, and it is man. :smith:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
There is a monster, and it is in the top right corner of the map.

Heliosmajestus
May 11, 2013
I guess there is a roaming monster a little south of the most southwestern town

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Artix posted:

Voting's over, you illiterate goons. :v:

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So I take it we're Yami Yugi for the whole game now, right? Do we at least see regular Yugi again?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Red Suit posted:

So I take it we're Yami Yugi for the whole game now, right? Do we at least see regular Yugi again?

We'll see him show up for dialogue a bit later, but as far as gameplay goes, yes, it's all Yami.

E: Update is done on my end, waiting on Eevee.

Artix fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 14, 2013

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yugi wouldn't be able to control marshals any, kid's a scrub.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Yugi wouldn't be able to control marshals any, kid's a scrub.

He's actually pretty good... The Pharaoh is just better because he cheats.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Gensuki posted:

Well, that and the Pharaoh is used to sending armies of men and monsters to put people to their deaths. Yugi freaks the gently caress out as soon as Keiba bluffs suicide. Not that it's a point against Yugi or anything, but the Pharaoh's resume is looking a lot better in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Gensuki posted:

And when he says cheat, he literally cheats with the power of Destiny to draw any card he wants. This was a plot point.

• Locked thread