Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

big boi posted:

I would read a Koop book.

I would too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Everybody hates Stern, but you have to admire his Machiavellian abilities.

The NBA always feels like it's on the edge of disaster in a way that the NFL and the MLB never seem to be. I mean, there aren't any steroid issues really, they don't have to worry about concussions and veteran players testifying in front of Congress for health care, but the whole system feels built around name recognition and egos in a way that other team sports don't seem to be. Maybe because one player's contributions can make so much difference in the game? Cecil Fielder can't win a game alone, but Kobe might.

I don't know enough about basketball to argue the merits of my own argument, so don't kill me. :sweatdrop:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

ElGroucho posted:

Everybody hates Stern, but you have to admire his Machiavellian abilities.

The NBA always feels like it's on the edge of disaster in a way that the NFL and the MLB never seem to be. I mean, there aren't any steroid issues really, they don't have to worry about concussions and veteran players testifying in front of Congress for health care, but the whole system feels built around name recognition and egos in a way that other team sports don't seem to be. Maybe because one player's contributions can make so much difference in the game? Cecil Fielder can't win a game alone, but Kobe might.

I don't know enough about basketball to argue the merits of my own argument, so don't kill me. :sweatdrop:

Its an extremely true fact about basketball as a sport, that a single player can affect the game more than any single player in any other major team sport. A Great QB is only on the field ~50% of the game, and doesn't even throw the ball every play. A great pitcher might be able to shut down a team for 7 innings, but he is only going to play every 4-5 games. And even then, he is only important while his team is fielding.

In basketball, your star is on the floor 75% of the time and generally affects the other team on 100% of those plays. Plus add in how many fewer players are on the court at once, and the effect is amplified. There is really nothing close to it in sports.

So when a single player can affect the game so much, having the best of those guys be marketable and entertaining matters much more.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Plus you can see a player while he is playing, he's not behind pads or in the middle of an outfield or sitting in a dugout for most of the game. You are extremely close to players while watching basketball in a way that no other major sport can get you. We tend to infer more about players because of this, and also feel like we are/want to be more involved with them off the court. Even the largest NFL star's day-to-day is not scrutinized as much as NBA players are. People talk about the fact that Kevin Love spends his off-season in LA, but no one talks about where Payton Manning spends his off-season.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Basketball also lends itself to distinctive styles of play more than any other sport. In the big four sports, only starting pitchers seem as lively and colorful as the best basketball players - probably not a coincidence that basketball and baseball are my two favorite sports, and 90% of my appreciation of baseball is watching a great pitcher.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I don't know if Jordan did steroids or not (probably, knowing how competitive he was) but I'm much more inclined to believe that his "retirement"in '93 was a forced suspension by the league because of gambling and it was disguised as a retirement to save face for both him and the league.

Also it was for steroids.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I finally read this thread and I don't understand why I'm not a fan of basketball, it seems awesome. Shame on me.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Retail Slave posted:

I don't know if Jordan did steroids or not (probably, knowing how competitive he was) but I'm much more inclined to believe that his "retirement"in '93 was a forced suspension by the league because of gambling and it was disguised as a retirement to save face for both him and the league.

Also it was for steroids.
Michael Jordan killed his own father in a fit of Roid Rage and Stern paid the police to find two local guys to take the fall.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

MassRafTer posted:

I finally read this thread and I don't understand why I'm not a fan of basketball, it seems awesome. Shame on me.

There's still time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Looks Like Tim Grover is at it again.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I notice he uses the word "formula" right there on the cover. You know what else has a "formula?" Anabolic steroids.

It's like he WANTS to be caught at this point. Is this his way of making a confession?

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

SporkOfTruth posted:

Could someone clue me in to how the Bilderbergs might factor into this? The Anglo-Jew-Dutch bankers clearly had some influence at UNC.

:sax:

Dunno about the Bilderbergs but UNC was built by Freemasons. The entire school.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Bilderberg is just another name for the Illuminati and New World Order. If you listen to Alex Jones, then you're already aware of the NWO elite's desire to turn themselves into immortal supermen that travel the cosmos. Clearly MJ is one of such elites. What happened was the NWO developed, in secret, new Ubermensch steroids and MJ was given these steroids for a real world test trial.

Spacejam was an attempt by the NWO to get the populace scared of aliens from outer space and demand the government begin funding space defense programs. The elite would then use this as their way of entering space and developing advanced space travel technology.

As you can clearly see, MJ is a key figure in many of these Illuminati plots.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I wonder if NWO frontman Hulk Hogan is the one who introduced MJ to steroids or if it was the other way around.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

point of return posted:

Dunno about the Bilderbergs but UNC was built by Freemasons. The entire school.

That UNC thing is heartwarming. Those nice masons built a school for North Carolina and didn't charge anything? Sounds like some good people.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
So I'm just sitting here watching the Clippers' one-hour special interview with Jamal Crawford, and it contained a segment that is of special interest to this thread. We all remember Koop's post about Jordan tearing apart the young Michael Jordan (Kevin Daley?) in the Gatorade commercials, right? Well, turns out there is more to that story.

Jamal Crawford was talking about being drafted in 2000 and meeting his hero Tim Grover (which caught my attention), who then introduced him to Michael Jordan, and Jamal is on camera stating that he WAS the slender Michael Jordan (!) in that famed Gatorade commercial (he was invited to workout at Jordan's house afterwards). I can definitely see resemblance of Jamal's movements after going back to watch the commercial. Hmmmmmm

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Jordan isn't on steroids and this whole thing is ridiculous. He's a lizard person but you wouldn't know that because there's no information on the internet, which I find quite convenient.

When Jordan was a Bull in 1987 he met a young man named Jackson De La Croix, who is now known as the leader of the HAMEGG movement (look in your local Lizard Person zine shop for more on the subject). There were numerous photos taken and it's been somewhat disputed that Gatorade got its big break courtesy of De La Croix's family fortune in the tire iron business but that's not something that I subscribe to. But in this 1987 meeting the whole future of the sporting world was unfolded. Jordan will win the next slam dunk title, get more endorsement money to funnel into HAMEGG, and, in return, De La Croix would give Jordan the largest collection of denim sport coats in the world. An offer Jordan could not refuse, of course. The deal was signed and the rest is history. Jackson De La Croix seemingly vanished into thin air but the tire iron business is still going strong, unsurprisingly, and Jordan's connection to the lizard people remains as strong as ever. If you do one favor then you are tied to the community for a lifetime.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BIZORT posted:

Jordan isn't on steroids and this whole thing is ridiculous. He's a lizard person but you wouldn't know that because there's no information on the internet, which I find quite convenient.

When Jordan was a Bull in 1987 he met a young man named Jackson De La Croix, who is now known as the leader of the HAMEGG movement (look in your local Lizard Person zine shop for more on the subject). There were numerous photos taken and it's been somewhat disputed that Gatorade got its big break courtesy of De La Croix's family fortune in the tire iron business but that's not something that I subscribe to. But in this 1987 meeting the whole future of the sporting world was unfolded. Jordan will win the next slam dunk title, get more endorsement money to funnel into HAMEGG, and, in return, De La Croix would give Jordan the largest collection of denim sport coats in the world. An offer Jordan could not refuse, of course. The deal was signed and the rest is history. Jackson De La Croix seemingly vanished into thin air but the tire iron business is still going strong, unsurprisingly, and Jordan's connection to the lizard people remains as strong as ever. If you do one favor then you are tied to the community for a lifetime.

As we all know the lizard people live at the center of the hollow earth where gravity is at its strongest, explaining their athletic ability.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The game hasn't been the same since they let Sleestaks play, with their showboat moves and lack of passing :mad:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MassRafTer posted:

I wonder if NWO frontman Hulk Hogan is the one who introduced MJ to steroids or if it was the other way around.

Other way around. The NWO started off as a noble pursuit to overthrow the ownership of the WCW. Scott Hall and Kevin Nash abandoned their horrible WWE personas for a new life, Hogan was going to lead the revitalized order as a figurehead, and even Sting put aside his hatred of Hogan for a temperamental alliance.

Then, the Million Dollar Man, Ted DiBiase, attracted the attention of noted rebounding all star and Michael Jordan teammate, Dennis Rodman. Rodman's influence on the NWO was great. All of a sudden this group of revolutionaries, of visionaries really, were turning heel. Hogan tricked the WCW into thinking that Bill Clinton was coming for a visit only to be the one who popped out of the limo after it pulled up to the venue. Scott Hall and Kevin Nash, in undoubted roid fueled rage, rigged the greatest match of all time. The venerable Bill Goldberg was shocked in the back with a taser and pinned, a dastardly action that would only be considered under the influence of a drug fueled haze.

So you see, it wasn't a coincidence. Money and power corrupt us all and turn even the strongest of hearts into former shells of themselves. Look what you wrought, Jordan, look what you wrought:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Doltos posted:

Other way around. The NWO started off as a noble pursuit to overthrow the ownership of the WCW. Scott Hall and Kevin Nash abandoned their horrible WWE personas for a new life, Hogan was going to lead the revitalized order as a figurehead, and even Sting put aside his hatred of Hogan for a temperamental alliance.

Then, the Million Dollar Man, Ted DiBiase, attracted the attention of noted rebounding all star and Michael Jordan teammate, Dennis Rodman. Rodman's influence on the NWO was great. All of a sudden this group of revolutionaries, of visionaries really, were turning heel. Hogan tricked the WCW into thinking that Bill Clinton was coming for a visit only to be the one who popped out of the limo after it pulled up to the venue. Scott Hall and Kevin Nash, in undoubted roid fueled rage, rigged the greatest match of all time. The venerable Bill Goldberg was shocked in the back with a taser and pinned, a dastardly action that would only be considered under the influence of a drug fueled haze.

So you see, it wasn't a coincidence. Money and power corrupt us all and turn even the strongest of hearts into former shells of themselves. Look what you wrought, Jordan, look what you wrought:

I don't know what I just read, but I'm completely convinced.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Enid Coleslaw
May 17, 2011

by Ion Helmet
I don't really keep up with football, has Tim Teabag been caught doing oxy off a twink yet?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Looks like some real journalists are on the case.

(I reread the thread and got inspired. Hopefully the good doctor has some more stories?)

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

WhyteRyce posted:

Seriously, can we make it a requirement that anyone who wants to argue about this subject read The Jordan Rules first. Talking with people who haven't read it is like trying to talk about 9/11 with people that haven't seen Loose Change or Zeitgeist. The loving facts are right there, don't be blind.

I just want to quote this for Poe's Law posterity.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
If you have any more stories to tell, about anyone really, I'd love to hear them Koop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
All I know is...He was diminutive compared to Pippen (most mortal men would be) in the junk department and it brought him much angst. Like A LOT of angst. Like why don't I get a chance to bang Madonna too???! Sort of angst.

I used to know (and by know, mean spend afterhours doing drugs with) a lot of girls that worked at Orlando's top Strip Club at the time where all the NBA guys would hang out. This was from 1995-ish to around the turn of the century.

Good times.

• Locked thread