Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Harriman Castle

"And what are our orders if we do find evidence of enemy agents? We have little authority to arrest or detain them, and we're as likely to cause an international incident as e are to prevent one, if we're overzealous."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Teresa FP XXOOO Stress OOO (-2/-4/-6)

"It's an intelligence gathering mission, so I imagine our orders are to gather intelligence without causing an international incident, and then return it here so we can formulate an appropriate response." Teresa finishes her coffee. "I agree with country there. Jerusalem is a crossroads. There are any number of reasons a group of mixed ethnic backgrounds could be traveling together. We could pose as pilgrims or tourists from a multinational, or even incorporate it into our cover - a retreat to improve relations between religious organizations from our disparate nations."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Cecil Skye FP 2/5
Stress O X O + Mild

Cecil nods his head. "She might be abrasive, but she does have a fair point. But we should probably actually agree to a cover story before we head in there, as a precaution. I expect security will be pretty tight for a 'thrice-holy' city."

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Lenore Santiago, FP 2

Lenore nods as well. "Well, I'm pretty sure we won't be going straight from debriefing to mission, so we have time to get our stories straight."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Levi Atkinson - FP: 2

"Aw well, we could do it like they do it in the movies." Levi leans back on his chair, taking another sip of his coffee. "A lost fella with a wild Hawaiian shirt, a tour bus group that's pointin' and takin' pictures of everything, a couple going on their honeymoon..." He wistfully recalls the letter.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Harriman Castle

"If necessary, we could always enter separately or in smaller groups, and then reconvene once we are within the walls. I am sure that nobody would bat an eye if several tourists happened to find some common interests and decide to spend some time together."

He looks at Levi. "I'm not sure we'd need to go that far, but your imagination is amusing. I vote Teresa for the Hawaiian shirt."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Alexander - FP: 5

At Levi's suggestion, Alexander nodded. "Yes...that does make quite a lot of sense. Good thinking, Atkinson." Afterward, he turned to look at Cecil. "Lt. Skye, I would suggest you practice remaining in close contact with Ms. Kurita-Steiner for at least a few minutes at a time. Body language is what truly marks two people as a couple, and it would not do if either of you flinched at the other's closeness. Our cover identities must be as good as we can make them."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Cecil Skye FP 2/5
Stress O X O + Mild

"That sounds like a pretty good idea, Levi, I--wait, what?!" Cecil stares dumbly at Alexander. "I'm not going with her! Or Princess Powerpuff! Yes, I know that's all the ladies here, but you couldn't pay me enough to pretend to be married to her!"

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 2

Lenore gives Cecil a look that could burn a hole through a foot of concrete and says nothing.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Cecil Skye FP 2/5

"Oh, wait, uh...drat, forgot about you, Lenore. But your dossier has the...reincarnated warrior spirit thing...and the angel who'd probably fry me in a heartbeat if I did something bullheaded! point is, I'd rather pretend to be in a romance with Amaka or...or Levi, even! And I don't even swing that way!"

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

"That could be arranged. It would raise few eyebrows." Alexander said, nodding. "With some practice, you could make a decent couple...you do seem...compatible, for some reason."

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Seruel

The angel speaks up. *My task is to aid the Blessed Warrior in war. I shall not interfere with your clumsy yet harmless attempts at wooing her.*

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Not that I don't think you're mighty fine yourself, Cecil." He looks at Alexander. "But uh... I don't really know."

He better stop himself right there, before Darlin' makes another snide remark about his "longarms".

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Cecil Skye FP 2/5

"I mean, Levi's a great man and all, but if we go with that proposal, we get Harriman on his own, Levi and me together, and Alexander, you, Teresa, and Tsugumi in some kinda...arranged...polyamory...thing."

Cecil chuckles nervously. "I'd say last night's funk has worn off now."

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 19, 2013

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"That would be...reprehensible." Alexander said, through gritted teeth. Besides being a cover story nightmare, it felt wrong to steal the trappings of another faith for the sake of secrecy. "Though it would not be too difficult to create the illusion. I have had firsthand seeing how one such arrangement functioned in practice. I would much prefer a more traditional set-up, but if that is what our duty mandates..."

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Seruel

Seruel hovers impassively over Lenore's shoulder. *Perhaps the most equitable solution would be to cast lots for who should be paired with who.*

Does he look amused? It kind of looks like he does.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"If I might make a suggestion that isn't steeped in a level of juvenile chauvinism that 16th century priest would find absurd - why don't we do ourselves a favor and ignore country's suggestion about fake couples? Contrary to what Sir Lancelost has heard from his priests, the rest of the world is aware that women have agency all their own, so there's no need to make up some reason for us to be there. As such, there's no need to complicate the story with that sort of stupidity. We're much more likely to draw attention to ourselves pretending something like that than just acting like what we are. A group of people who know each other on a professional - or perhaps vocational - level. We just lie about what the profession is."

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 19, 2013

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"A group of professionals will not resist even a casual scrutiny if found in the middle of a restricted area." Alexander explained, massaging his temples. If they indeed chose to go with Levi's plan, it would be a greater test of his faith than the most grueling battles he had been part of. "Nor will we have a convenient way to justify our actions to onlookers if it becomes necessary to split up. And make no mistake, we will have to split up if we are to find our needle in the Holy City's haystack. It would be best if none of us moved alone, and an...ahem...romantic liaison will lead to fewer people asking the right questions. It will act as a smokescreen, if you will, Ms. Kurita-Steiner."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Everyone sure latched on to it, though..." In truth, he doesn't really mind for once if Teresa shuts him down for a romantic sentiment going way out of proportion at this point. "I'm good with anything you guys want."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"I doubt anyone will care. And our cover for why we're here is that we're tourists, and tourist groups split up for all sorts of reasons. I'm saying we don't need to come up with any more complicated a reason for us to know each other than the one that already exists. But if you want to play act newlyweds, feel free, just leave me out of it."

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Tsugumi - FP: 1

"If we are found in a restricted area, we have already failed, Captain Abidam. There is no need for this. We may go as a group initially, and if people seem suspicious, split up from there. For tourists, that would simply be a desire to see different things. As long as we remain as groups of some size, it should be viable."

And faking romance with these people? Way too low.

... and who the heck is Powerpuff?

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Cmdr. Tȟatȟáŋka Ská

Commander Ska indulges the team's silly argument, smiling slightly. Everyone is looking more like a cohesive team already.

"Work out your cover, team. Personally I'd suggest against the romance- too easy to probe for anyone with sense. In any case, I can see you're interested. I'll make the arrangements for inconspicuous vehicles, and I'll have a copter waiting if you need to be rushed back."

Less than an hour later, your team is in a small convoy of nondescript sedans, headed for the outskirts.

The city is completely open to you- where do you want to go? Name a landmark or even something like "police records" and come to an in-character consensus.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Harriman Castle

Harriman takes in the sights as the group moves towards the city limits. It all seems so peaceful, but for all they knew it could already be an enemy stronghold.

"I suggest we see if there is any kind of public access to the local government. Public officials would be a prime target for corruption."

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 3

"So I have a question." Lenore says. "How are we going to tell if a politician is corrupted? They're not going to be singing or talking about how aliens will conquer everything, I imagine, so what's our plan?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Teresa FP OOOOO Stress OOO (-2/-4/-6)

"That's a good question." Teresa has dressed fashionably for the heat and is watching the scenery from behind a very stylish pair of sunglasses. She leans back in the comfortable seat. "The simple truth is we don't know what we're looking for ahead of time. As such, I think we should simply cover as much of the city as possible to get a feel for what is going on. Keep an eye and an ear out for anything suspicious. Personally I think we should see the markets as well. And the religious sites. Government sites are a good idea as well."

Teresa pulls out her smartphone and syncs it with the AR display in her glasses. "Personally I'm going to the markets and shops first. If anyone would like to join me or needs anything I can pick up."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"The first thing we need to do is acquire some information." Alexander said, after thinking about Lenore's question for a moment. "There must be telltale signs we can use to spot the song's influence, but for that we need some direction. I think I know of someone who can shed some light on this matter. Let's split up, see what we can find, and meet up later at a restaurant I know of..."

After giving the rest of the team some directions, Alexander set off for the Old City. Even though he was on a mission, he couldn't help but relish the sights on his way. The happiest days of his life had been spent here, and returning to the Holy City made him feel younger, as if an enormous weight had been lifted from his shoulders. Eventually, he arrived at a small alleyway, not too far away from the Wailing Wall. There, he approached one of the houses, rang the bell, and waited.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Tsugumi - FP: 5

"I believe I shall go with you... Mr. Abidam."

Information is god, after all... and maybe keeping Alexander out of trouble is closest to god.

... and what the hell is Hairy Man wearing.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 20, 2013

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Cecil Skye FP 2/5

Cecil was never a very religious person, so Jerusalem's importance is historical and symbolic, not necessarily "holy". Nevertheless, the city does look like pretty up close. He steps out of the sedan and brushes himself off, wearing a light white jacket and blue pants--he'd brought very few clothes that didn't identify him as AUG.

"So, this is Jerusalem," he says, shielding his eyes from the sun. "Never seen it up close like this. And Teresa is still talking good ideas--great place for gossip, in case the bad guys are stepping up operations to match their overt attacks. I guess I'm going with her after all."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Harriman Castle

Harriman checks over his 'disguise.' He had settled on a two-piece cream suit and a Panama hat. Comfortable, fairly casual while still professional, and nondescript enough to blend into most large crowds. He looks at Teresa.

"You're probably right about know what to look for, or not knowing - to be specific. I'll stop by the city center and see if there are any current public projects or city-wide events going on. Any large gathering would be a perfect place for infiltration. Would anyone care to join me? Where is this rendezvous also, Alexander?"

OOC: Ignore Harriman asking for directions. I was camping and was using my phone. Missed that they were already given.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 20, 2013

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Levi dresses in looser clothes to fit with the local fashions here, since he doesn't want to look out of place with his usual attire. He keeps his cowboy hat and badge, though.

"I'll walk with ya, Doc Castle." He tips his hat. "Just 'cause my degree is in robotics don't mean I ain't got a good eye for infrastructure."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Teresa smiles at Cecil. "Good! You can carry the bags." She gives Harriman a glance, then rolls her eyes behind her sunglasses. "We should rendezvous at the Western Wall, in the plaza there. It should be easy to find, and it's unlikely anyone will try to cause trouble there, and it's a natural place for any sort of tourist to want to go."

Once a rendezvous is agreed upon, whether at the Western Wall or elsewhere, she drags Skye off towards the markets.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 3

Lenore looked around as her squadmates paired up, trying to think of someplace to go. "I could go by myself and Seruel to someplace unobvious, where influential locals would probably outnumber tourists. Someplace like..."

She snapped her fingers. "The Shrine of the Book, where the Dead Sea Scrolls are kept. Perhaps there might be something there that's germane as well."

Lenore adjusted the patterned silk of her robe. "That should do it. I'll meet you back at the Wall then."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Cecil Skye FP 2/5

"Oh...uh...yay?" Cecil can only shrug as Teresa manhandles him over and starts dragging him by the arm. He's sure it's certainly an interesting sight, but not necessarily an out of place one. "Just make sure you pay for it. You're rich enough."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Yes, yes, of course." She waves her mobile at the others. "If you think of anything you need, message me! The number should be on your phones already."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Harriman Castle 3/5 FP
Stress: O-O-O

Harriman watches the others head off to their respective ventures. He turns to Levi. It would be good to get to know the young man better. He was an engineer and scientist as well, although his methodology seemed to be a little more unorthodox than Harriman's.

"Well, we had best be off as well! Let's go find out if there's anything exciting happening in town today."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Please excuse lack of themes and pictures, rather limited in my ability to update, please feel free to provide your own!

Alexander and Tsugumi

There is a minor cascade of old man swearing and shuffling, and eventually a weathered face opens the door. "Who the- my god. Abidam! Alexander Abidam, as I live and breathe! What brings you to visit ol' man Van Volkenburg all the way out here? Ah, where are my manners! Come in, come in! And what I assume is your young lady, at last! Do introduce us!"

Lenore

The shrine where the scrolls are kept is silent, except for the scratching as the young lady behind the front counter busily writes down something or other. She does not appear to have noticed you yet.

Cecil and Teresa

The market district is busy, full of the shouts of vendors and the playing of prerecorded ads for everything from fine clothes to, in quieter, off-alleys, more illicit goods. Where does Teresa even begin? There's just so much to look at..

Castle and Levi

As the two approach the city center, they are accosted by a large crowd heading toward an open spot in the middle of an intersection- a green. In the middle stands a man, clearly shouting something. As they approach, they hear him more clearly. "Repent! The end is nigh, brothers and sisters! Nothing can stop the return of our LORD!"

K Prime fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 22, 2013

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Tsugumi - FP: 5

"..."

Okay, Tsugumi is a young lady, but she is most certainly not ABIDAM'S young lady.

"I am Tsugumi Sakura. And I believe I am probably not the young lady you seem to think I am."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Harriman Castle 3/5 FP
Stress: O-O-O

Harriman stops at the edge of the crowd and looks over to Levi. "Well, this sounds interesting at least. It could be everyday fear, but we'd better hear what he's screaming about."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Master Volkenburg." Alexander said, smiling at his mentor. "It is good to see you again." Entering the old man's dwelling, Alexander looked back at the princess and nodded. "As Sakura says, she is not my angel, but rather an acquaintance of mine, who shares a common interest with me. My angel..." Alexander paused for a moment. How could he explain Millame's fate without omitting certain details? "...She is in the city now, but her business lied elsewhere. And it is precisely that which brought me to your doorstep once more, Master Volkenburg. My superiors have sent me here to find out if the reports of the MHC's leadership being compromised are to be trusted. Have you heard any news of strange incidents or odd behavior?" It was a safe bet that if something strange was going on, one of the world's premiere journalists and philosophers would know something about it. Alexander crossed his fingers, hoping that there was nothing to report. If the corruption had spread as far as the MHC, the situation would be far more dire than anyone could have anticipated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"I wouldn't be so sure, Doc." Levi nods thoughtfully. "I remember when my Granpa Eli told me about the time he saw one of these yellers back home in New Zion and it turned out the git also spied for the HJS. That was after we occupied England, Granpa went home after his tour an' went back to sellin' used cars. That's also around the time when he met Granma, so hoo boy, so you can imagine how it looked when that love triangle started..."

• Locked thread