Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Lenore Santiago, FP 5

Lenore had arrived early enough to hear the message, but had been called on her mobile, and she had had to leave for a little while. Afterwards, she returned, having missed most of what everyone had been talking about up to now.

"Sorry for that." she said to the group. "Just some bureaucratic wrangling. I was signed on late, and unlike probably the rest of you, I didn't come here with a mecha." What she failed to add was that she had never piloted a mecha before - after all, neither had DJ Croft, a previous Blessed Warrior, and he'd done well enough.

She reached down and grabbed the last sandwich, saying to them, "Anyways, good to meet you. I am Lenore Santiago."

After a bit of eating and thinking, she said mostly to herself, "You know what I kind of don't understand? There's a chapel visible in this place, but that's not the weird part. It's the thing sticking out the back of the chapel I don't get. It looks kind of like an artillery battery boinked a pipe organ. Is that supposed to be one, the other, or both somehow?" With her piece said, she resumed eating.

quote:

Lenore Santiago

High Concept: Spirits of a Thousand Warriors
Trouble: The Last in Line
Aspects: My Friend the Angel, I Was Born for This Moment

Approaches: Careful +1, Clever +2, Flashy +1, Forceful +2, Quick +4, Sneaky +0

Stunts: Angelic Companion, Seen Just About Everything

CNC-005-Prime 'Channeler'

Theme Song: Judgment in the 60th Year

Aspects: Celestial Transport, Possessed Wreck, Sees Beyond the Moment
Power Source: Angelic Dynamo
Powers: Celestial Blaster, Purging Field
Signature Attack: Heaven's Wrath

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 5

Lenore looked at the tactical display, and nodded. "To my mind, the most important thing is to keep the aliens from conquering Earth. If that means that we have to keep the nations of Earth at peace so they can fight off the main invasion when it comes, then so be it."

She then stood up, and said, "Anyways, the sooner we can deploy, the better. Does anyone here's robot have a way to jam enemy communications? We don't want them reporting back on our position, whether they are HJS or not."

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 5

Lenore looked for her mecha, but she had no clue where it would be. Everyone else seemed to find something to pilot, so she had to have something.

She looked in the back, and saw something that looked like a kitbash made of ancient mecha parts, and headed over there. One of the techs working on the sad robot said, "Wait, you're Lenore? This isn't your mecha. From what I heard, yours was coming in next week."

"I don't have until next week, and I can't not go while my allies need help." she said sternly.

"But this thing is a pile of junk! It doesn't even have a power supply installed yet-"

Be Not Daunted Thereby, Nor Terrified, Nor Awed (Launch Theme)

A voice rang out like an entire choir, *Then leave that to me.* And there was a... thing hovering above Lenore's shoulder. It looked like a wheel covered with eyes, inside of which was another wheel covered in eyes, inside of which...

*I am Lenore's protector, Seruel, and I can see how to make this armor move.* With that, he floated into one of the access panels, his radiance vanishing inside the labyrinth of wiring and tubes. Then, the mecha's eyes lit up, and radiance gleamed from its joints. Severed cables linked together as if magnetized, dingy grey primer and frame was covered in brilliant white and rose and violet armored plates, power indicators unmoved for so long their insides had become dusty suddenly pegged, and the ancient CNC-005 stood up.

*For Lenore Santiago the Blessed Warrior, her angel stands ready.* The cockpit opened, and Lenore looked up, awestruck, before slowly climbing in. As it sealed up again, a quartet of wings manifested from the mecha's back, and in its hand appeared a large blaster.

Lenore looked around, at the controls which ought to have been entirely unfamiliar, but felt natural in her hands. "Seruel, I don't know what to say..." she whispered.

Seruel's voice in her head answered, *Then don't say. Go, and do.*

She nodded, before turning on the radio and reporting, "CNC-005-Prime, 'Channeler', ready for launch," and a heavenly voice echoed hers.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 5

Lenore, despite having had the experiences of millennia of combat, still let out a whoop when the catapult launched her and Seruel into the air. And the flight - that was effortless. Even with about 30 tons of scrap metal carried with him, Seruel was motion, swift and sure. Inertia seemed to look the other way as he quickly reached cruising speed. As Lenore exulted in the sensation, she wondered if Seruel even had a top speed.

After her exultation in the sensation of flight, she grew somewhat more serious. "If you suppress long-range comms, Kurita-Steiner, there's no real harm in contacting them on shortwave. They're flying silent and deep, so there should be no one in the HJS expecting continuous broadcasts, and if they try to run, several of us outpace them." she said matter-of-factly, then continued, "And if they fight, we shoot them down. Hopefully, at least one of them will eject so we can take him for questioning."

She was going to respond to Skye, but she noticed a private communication coming in.

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 7, 2013

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 5

That was a strange conversation she just had. But all the same, she felt a kind of responsibility to defend him against Tsugumi, for all that they were all on the same side. Perhaps it was pre-battle nerves.

"The Apostle Peter was able to follow Jesus onto the waters of Lake Galilee, until he panicked and lost faith." She did not even need to quote the Bible for that; she had been a Roman centurion, watching the miracle happen from the shore. "Since God is in all things, is it not surprising that one's faith in God can affect those things?"

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 5

"I'd give the Arondight a try, Alexander, but I wouldn't want Seruel to feel like I'm cheating on him." Lenore laughed.

Seruel's voice chimed in afterwards, *And I'd be afraid of making it explode.*

"However, you all seem to be getting what faith is wrong. Faith isn't bowing and scraping to what you feel is in the sky. Faith is basically the foundation your heart is built upon. While you may not have faith in any gods, Tsugumi, you definitely have faith in Japan, faith enough that you're going out and risking your life to save it. It's that faith, in the hearts of all the people of the world, that causes the world to move forward."

She was getting rather philosophical, and she hadn't even seen combat alongside any of these people. It was kind of a relief when Seruel chirped, *One minute to enemy positions.*

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 5

Lenore decided to spend this last minute actually figuring out what she and Seruel could do. She took her finger off communications and asked, "Aside from flight and this blaster, do you have any idea of your capabilities?"

*Mostly.* was the reply from Seruel. *I've got half a dozen missiles on my arms, I'm surprised they kept those on. I can carry you, me, and this armor through the Celestial Realm near-instantly for good distances.*

"That'll come in handy. Go on."

*I've got fairly standard sensors. Radar, amplified vision, amplified sound- oh, wait. We should see if I can amplify that... destiny sense you have.*

"That would be a good idea." She looked around the battlefield with the Channeler's sensors, trying to see if there was anything here beyond just an HJS group/false flag operation.

Rolling to Quickly scan the battlefield.
<Zemyla> !r fudge+3
<Krysmbot> Zemyla, -/+-+3 = 2
I can spend an FP on "Sees Beyond the Moment" if need be.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 5

Lenore had barely enough time to shout over the comms, "Skye, look out!" before the enemy opened fire. But it was enough, and the barrage missed her teammate.

"Thank you, Seruel." she breathed, before turning her attention to the battle. They all needed to close in, and while she could perceive a path through the Celestial Realm to right in front of the enemy, it'd place her in front of the massed guns of the enemy. Better to hold that in reserve.

She sent the scans of the leader to her teammates and to command. "See if you've seen anything like this in the files."

Rolling Quick for Initiative.
<Krysmbot> Zemyla, /-++ +3 = 4

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 7, 2013

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 5

Lenore took a position beside Alexander for the moment as their line and the enemy's got closer. They hadn't been given any kind of wing assignment, but this would do for now.

As they approached, she switched to a private channel and told him, "Let us go forth, for we may die, but the Court of Miracles never will." Hopefully, that would boost his faith and firepower.

Forcefully creating the advantage "Shared Faith" on Alexander.
<Krysmbot> Zemyla, ++/- +2 = 3

Also, I made quick icons for use on the map.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 5

And with that, Lenore's wingman blazed forward into the enemy formation. She could have poured on the speed to stay on him, but fortunately she didn't need to. An unspoken understanding passed between her and Seruel, and there was an instant of brilliance outside the cockpit as the angel brought her through the Celestial Realm only a moment behind Alexander and Cecil.

Moving three zones forward as a free action with my Celestial Blaster stunt.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 5

*A group of three enemies managed to break out! They're on Tsugumi!* Seruel reported.

"We can't have that. Get me hard targeting info." Lenore replied.

*Scanning... there. I have a feed from Gunslinger.* And there the positions were, accurate to the millimeter, thanks to Levi's massively overengineered sensors.

"They'll pay for not noticing us." She brought her gun up and communicated a plan to Seruel as fast as she conceived it. "Now, GO!"

She selected a three-round burst and teleported in front of the enemies. Then, she pulled the trigger. The first round shot out, but then she was gone again, reappearing behind them just in time for the second shot to be fired at the second enemy. Another blip, and she was above them, the third round blazing out.

The three rounds from all sides struck the enemy simultaneously, and the three mechs transmuted into balls of fire over the ocean as Lenore teleported to face the scrum, her back to the explosion.

<Zemyla> Ein ihsser schrei!
<Zemyla> !r fudge +3
<Krysmbot> Zemyla, ++++ +3 = 7
<Zemyla> FEUER FREI!

<~K`> he has a boost
<~K`> so here goes nothin'
<~K`> !r fudge+4
<Krysmbot> K`, /-//+4 = 3
<~K`> nope.

Tagging Zeroed-In on the zone to get a +9 total, and reducing the damage by 1 to gain the boost Cool Mechs Don't Look At Explosions. KPrime says that's enough to kill them.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 4

Lenore could see destiny warping around the leader mech, even through the cloud of smoke and dust that surrounded it after Alexander's strike. And then what was within the sphere was revealed.

It was horrific, to say the least, and definitely not from the HJS, unless they'd decided to start consorting with demons.

*So those are the invaders...* Seruel remarked solemnly.

Lenore's mind was elsewhere as the song permeated her bones. Then, she snapped back to reality. "We need to kill the smaller mechs!" she broadcasted. "They're singing a song that empowers the big one!"

Then she set action to word, teleporting inside the bounded zone. "Water distorts vision through refraction, so we need to aim straight down at them." she told Seruel. "I know this from experience." She blasted a salvo into the water, pointing straight down at one of the underwater units, then teleported back away before the fiend could take aim at her as well.

Quickly defending against the attack.
<Zemyla> !r fudge +3
<Krysmbot> Zemyla, +-++ +3 = 5

Moving to zone 1, then Quickly attacking the wounded mook group in the water.
<Zemyla> !r fudge +3 -2
<Krysmbot> Zemyla, --+- +3 -2 = -1
<Zemyla> Well, hell. I'm tagging Cool Mechs Dont Look At Explosions for a reroll.
<Zemyla> !r fudge +3 -2
<Krysmbot> Zemyla, /+/+ +3 -2 = 3
Spending an FP on Spirits of a Thousand Warriors to increase it to +5. Moving 2 zones to zone 3 afterward.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP: 4, Stress OXO

Lenore and Seruel were both pummeled by the beast's final blasphemy, words falling on their heads like stones. Fortunately, Seruel followed his first instinct, which was to pull them both into the Celestial Realm; when they blipped back into reality, the assault was over.

Lenore opened her eyes, but before she could relax, she heard the cry for help. Options flitted through her mind - Teresa won't save it, Cecil can't do anything to save it, Levi's too far back, Alexander's spirit has been too broken, Harriman's too slow, and Tsugumi's been too ineffective. It was up to her.

She teleported into the maelstrom, reached out, and grabbed the enemy mecha by its neck. There was a brief disorienting flicker, and Seruel cried out, *I can't pull all this weight so close to this portal!*

"Then take what you can and leave the rest! The pilot is most important!"

*Okay!* There was a wrenching clatter, and the Channeler and its cargo were away from the rip in reality again. Though the enemy was now sans arms and legs, it was still powered, and the pilot inside was still alive.

As Lenore relaxed, the groan of overstressed metal echoed through the cockpit, tensing her up again. "Damage report!"

*I can't tell, this thing was so damaged when I started it.*

"Then we'll just have to play it safe on the way back."

Quickly defending from the attack.
<Zemyla> !r fudge +3
<Krysmbot> Zemyla, -+-+ +3 = 3
Taking a -2 consequence Ominous Creaking Noises and a 2-stress hit.

Cleverly defending the mook.
<Zemyla> !r fudge +2
<Krysmbot> Zemyla, //++ +2 = 4

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 4, Stress OXO, -2

Lenore paid little attention to the squabbling, as she was currently assessing the condition of the prisoner. He seemed to still be alive, and his cockpit was still providing him with life support, but pretty much all offensive capacity had vanished with its extremities.

Finally, she turned her attention to the Arondight. "Alexander, I will say only one thing to you right now: This is war. Weapons break. What must not break is your faith, your resolve."

With that, she resumed her attention to managing the unbalanced flight of her mecha and its involuntary passenger.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore winced when she set down in the hangar and Channeler let out another creaking groan. *Hold together hold together hold together phew.* Seruel chanted.

"Let's save our celebration until we see what happens when you get out." Lenore advised, then popped open the cockpit and stepped out. She told the guards, "There's an enemy pilot in here who decided he didn't want to go down with their leader. He could be a good source of information."

Seruel, meanwhile, floated out of the exhaust port of his borrowed frame, which underwent a drastic metamorphosis from a battered but combat-ready robot to an unfinished-looking jalopy. It stood for a moment, then the arm Lenore had carried the prisoner in creaked and fell off, hitting the hangar floor with a CLUNK.

Lenore winced, and winced again when Amaka came out to greet them like a stormcloud. Despite the situation, though, she smiled, remembering all the quartermasters and stablemasters she had served under who treated their charges like their own children. War may have changed, but some of the essential characters in it never did.

She looked Amaka in the eye and said, "We went to war alongside them. They helped us succeed in our mission. They saved our lives more than once. And now, we put them into your hands so we can march out alongside them again."

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 4, Stress OXO -2

Lenore gave the Channeler one last mournful look, then startles and salutes when she notices the commander behind her talking; however, it's nowhere near as stiff as Harriman's and Cecil's. "Sir, a pleasure to meet you, even if the circumstances aren't ideal."

When he had walked off, she told Cecil, "I think we could all use some food, drink, and camaraderie right now. Lead on."

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore tries the shakushka, and smiles. "Mmm, that's pretty good." She let out a practiced breath through her mouth to keep the burn from overwhelming her.

She makes four marks onto the kills column, and one onto the captures column. "I think I may have gotten five, but I'm not sure because the last shot was in water. I won't mark it until it's confirmed."

Then she sits back down, and pours herself some scotch. As she drinks it, Seruel, floating over her shoulder still, told Cecil, *You're here for an important reason, don't worry. You're like an anchor to keep the rest of us in reality.*

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 15, 2013

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore looks a bit askance at Cecil. "Kind of a dismal song, isn't it? Not the first thing I'd have picked." She drinks some scotch, and fetches another bowl of shakshuka.

"You know, I-" She was interrupted by Alexander entering the party like a bucket of ice water.

She turned to face him, and replied, "I don't know if this helps, but... I was in the AUG army myself, but I was on the Tawantinsuyu border my entire deployment, and the closest I got to combat there was making sure a battle between the Tawantinsuyu and the Belize Revolutionary Army didn't go over the border."

Lenore sure is sounding dangerously green right now.

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 16, 2013

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore looks at Alexander and asks, "If an infiltration of that nature has happened in the HJS, could it have happened in other places? I remember hearing about an IG squadron headed to Australia; could there be an alien foothold there as well?"

And then everything starts going to hell. Cecil looks demoralized, Teresa is being smug at everyone, and Harriman stormed out. And she feels it's her job to keep everything together.

"If they could infiltrate anywhere at will, they would have already done so. There are probably weak points in the world where they can teleport, like my ability. Probably they have to go through those..." She remembers her primary task. "Right. Cecil, we are going to win this, and even if we can't win, we'll make their win so expensive that they'll remember us forever. This I swear."

She puts out a fist into the middle of the group. "Who's with me on this?"

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore seems to have succeeded at dispelling the gloomy atmosphere, leaving it... the best phrase she could think of for it was "usefully empty", like a flower pot. And Teresa turned out to be, if not on her side specifically, then on humanity's at least.

She considered going after Alexander, or going after Harriman, but decided not to. Instead, she would probably go to bed. She looked over at Levi and said, "Well, no clue what'll happen tomorrow, but we'll probably need sleep to face it. Good night, Levi."

With that, she went to her bedroom, singing softly.
Hitler has only got one ball,
Goering has two but very small,
Himmler is rather similar,
And Goebbels has no balls at all!

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 2

Lenore arrives in short order, looking way too well rested for the kind of day they'd had yesterday. Seruel hovers over her shoulder, visible to everyone, looking like a small winged person, but with several glowing rings covered in eyes rotating slowly around him in different directions.

She sat down, grabbed a plate and some juice, and gave the Commander a brief salute. After hearing her comrades report, she replied, "One thing I would like to add, though, sir, is that aside from the leader, none of the attacks the enemy made connected. However, the song they made may have empowered the enemy leader, which is why I continued attacking the soldiers when the leader... appeared."

Rolling Clever to see if Seruel knows anything about the song.
<Zemyla> !r fudge +2
<Krysmbot> Zemyla, -/-/ +2 = 0
<Zemyla> Spending an FP.
<Zemyla> Invoking "My Friend the Angel".
<Zemyla> !r fudge +2
<Krysmbot> Zemyla, ---+ +2 = 0
<Zemyla> I'm going to spend more FP, on Spirits of a Thousand Warriors.
<Zemyla> Here goes noting.
<Zemyla> *nothing
<Zemyla> !r fudge +2
<Krysmbot> Zemyla, ++-- +2 = 2
<Zemyla> Oh, wait, my stunt gives me +2 if I'm getting advice from Seruel, and this counts.
<Zemyla> So it's a +4.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 2

Lenore looks lost in thought at the commander's words, or rather, like she is communing with something. Finally, her eyes focus again. "Sir, I can now remember that." She then looks sheepish and elaborates, "I usually don't have access to my predecessor's memories that aren't immediately warfare-related."

Then, to show she'd actually been listening, she asked, "Now question. How much is this mission an infiltration mission and how much is it a vacation to increase morale and get to know each other outside a military context? Because given the nature of the enemy, both are important."

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 2

Lenore nods as well. "Well, I'm pretty sure we won't be going straight from debriefing to mission, so we have time to get our stories straight."

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 2

Lenore gives Cecil a look that could burn a hole through a foot of concrete and says nothing.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Seruel

The angel speaks up. *My task is to aid the Blessed Warrior in war. I shall not interfere with your clumsy yet harmless attempts at wooing her.*

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Seruel

Seruel hovers impassively over Lenore's shoulder. *Perhaps the most equitable solution would be to cast lots for who should be paired with who.*

Does he look amused? It kind of looks like he does.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 3

"So I have a question." Lenore says. "How are we going to tell if a politician is corrupted? They're not going to be singing or talking about how aliens will conquer everything, I imagine, so what's our plan?"

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 3

Lenore looked around as her squadmates paired up, trying to think of someplace to go. "I could go by myself and Seruel to someplace unobvious, where influential locals would probably outnumber tourists. Someplace like..."

She snapped her fingers. "The Shrine of the Book, where the Dead Sea Scrolls are kept. Perhaps there might be something there that's germane as well."

Lenore adjusted the patterned silk of her robe. "That should do it. I'll meet you back at the Wall then."

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 3

Lenore ignores the receptionist and goes into the museum proper, half hoping to see other people inside. As she reaches the first of the scrolls, she asks herself rhetorically, "I wonder if they are real." Or at least that is how it would look to anyone who didn't have an angel over their shoulders.

Seruel, invisible and inaudible to all but Lenore, replied, "They are authentic; they were actually written by ancient Israelites. As to whether they were divinely inspired..." He gave a shrug that set his wheels in a different orbit. "I am an angel of war, not inspiration. I cannot tell you, as I do not know myself."

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 3

Lenore looked back at the clerk, and became apologetic. "Oh, sorry, I thought this area was open to the public." Her accent marks her as an obvious foreigner. She gives a small bow.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 3

Lenore nods, and goes over to sign in. "Perfectly understandable." She writes down her name, her phone number, and the address of a nearby Court of Miracles front. "There we are. Just out of curiosity, what kind of-"

Her earpiece beeps. She sighs, and tells the clerk "Just a minute." before listening in.

She frowns as she hears Levi's assessment of the situation, but she's half an hour away, and any action would be over by the time she got there. "This is Lenore. I'll see what I can do, but I can't do much from here." Her words are rather guarded to avoid suspicion from the receptionist.

She then gives her an apologetic smile and says, "Sorry about that. Now, could I take a look at the scrolls?"

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 3

Lenore went in and looked the scrolls over. She had been Gideon once, so Ancient Hebrew was second nature, but right now her eyes were passing over them without seeing them.

"Dammit, dammit, dammit." she muttered. Her friends were in trouble. And the numbers were irrefutable: Even if she bribed a taxi to break the speed limit, it'd still be at least 20 minutes before she could get there, and by then Levi and Harriman would be either victorious, dead, or fled. Two people versus an angry mob could not last twenty minutes.

But still, it gnawed at her. She was supposed to be here to read the scrolls, and also look for scholars who might have been suborned by the aliens. But she couldn't concentrate at all.

Finally, she stopped pacing and looked down at the case she was standing in front of and started reading, pleading nearly inaudibly, "God, help me..."

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 3

The verse didn't seem to be germane to her situation, but it helped her decide. "I need to help my friends, somehow." she murmured to herself. "I can't just say I knew they were in trouble and did nothing."

With that, she stood up, and went to the front desk to check out. "An emergency came up, I'm afraid. I'm hoping to be back later, though." she tells the clerk. Assuming she has no objections, Lenore heads out.

As she strides into the crowd, she looks up at her invisible angelic companion and asks, "Seruel, I know you aren't as strong outside the mecha, but is there anything you can do to get us there faster?"

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 3

Lenore felt the streets blur past as she ran hell-bent for leather to where the rest of her group was. During this mad dash, she was only able to get out a gasped, "I'm on my way!" through the earpiece to let her team know she was coming.

<Zemyla> !r 4df +3
<foxxbot> Zemyla, /+/+ +3 = 5
<Zemyla> Quick approach.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 3

Lenore had the bad luck to be at the very bottom of the pile, below even the preacher. Therefore, when she finally got up, she was out of breath from booth running at speeds beyond human possibility and being knocked down. However, she finally managed to get up. As she did, the juice and fruit parts beaded off of her fancy silk robe and rolled away, leaving her unstained.

Still panting and out of breath, she managed to gasp out, "I got here as fast as I could."

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago

Seruel found himself surprisingly in demand over the next couple days, as the Channeler was "repaired" with the scrap mecha parts that Teresa had had delivered. However, that was only after the first day, when the mecha was repaired completely and Seruel found he could no longer possess it. So there was an arduous process of taking parts out, putting parts in, and asking "Can you fit in now?"

While this was highly illuminating for both the techs and Seruel, it left Lenore at kind of loose ends.

Since no one else has Quick as their highest stat, I'll take the +1 Quick. Also, working on an encounter between Lenore and Alexander.

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 21, 2013

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore, Alexander, and Teresa

Alexander felt tired. The trip back from the Holy City had seemed much longer than the journey to it, and debriefing with Commander Ska after the preacher had been taken care of had taken another hour. He could feel his lack of sleep start to catch up to him, but that was no excuse to skip on his daily training routine. He could rest later.

Lenore wandered in, holding a strange long box, and watched Alexander spar against imaginary enemies for a little while before he noticed her.

"Ah, Le- Private Santiago." Alexander said, stopping mid-swing and saluting. "Come to prepare yourself for future missions, I take?"

"Well, yes. I had a feeling I might find you here. Ever the consummate soldier." She opened the package, revealing a smaller, thinner sword, more like a gladius, than what Alex prefers. "I need to keep up with all the weapons I might use, not just the easiest ones."

"And there is no better way to retain one's edge than combat, even if it's a practice match." Taking a step back, Alexander raised his blade to a ready stance. "I fear I may not provide the best practice, at the moment, but I will give it my utmost if you are willing."

"That's all I ask." She unrolls a small shield from the package as well, waits a bit for it to harden to the proper toughness, and stands ready in front of him.

Alexander's first few strikes were tentative, meant to probe Lenore's defenses and take advantage of his longer reach, and to allow his mind to wander for a few moments. Then, once he had decided on a course of action, he spoke. "We still have much to discuss from our last conversation."

She turns some of the probing strikes away with her blade, while catching others on the advanced plastic of the shield, while counterattacking when she can. "Indeed, that's part of the reason I came here."

Pushed backwards, Alexander didn't speak. Instead, he struck out with a sideways slash, repositioned himself, and nodded, telling her to go on.

She interposed the flat of her blade with a ringing clang, pushed Alex's blade up and over her, and took the opportunity to dart inside his reach. "Know this, Alexander: Millame loved you, loves you still."

Dropping his blade, Alexander raised a free hand, clenched to a fist, but stopped mid-motion, hand open. "That is a cold comfort, when I know she is...gone." The last word was spat out suddenly, as though it had been unwilling to leave his mouth.

Lenore drops her blade to point to the floor as well. This was not quite what she had expected Alexander to say, but in retrospect, it had been almost 20 years, so it was understandable. She marshaled her thoughts and went on, "Yes, and I'm not saying I can be her, or replace her. But the Blessed Warriors do not go as far in death. And here, where the veil of death itself was repeatedly breached... I feel her regard for you, as she stands over my shoulder, the closest of my predecessors. I will... will try to see if I can make a miracle of some kind happen." Her face became a darkly humorous smile as she added, "On top of the other one of defeating the alien invaders."

Alexander started to smile, but his expression froze as it was replaced by a sudden thought. After a moment, he averted his eyes and sighed. "I am such a fool...I cannot help but see her at times like this. I wish I could forget her face, instead of feeling like a man trying to grasp a star. So close, and yet so far..." He shook his head, and a smile returned to his face, but now sardonic. "And I cannot imagine how dreadful this must be for you. Watching me wallow in my self-pity like this must be unbearable."

Slow clapping started from near the door. "Impressive stuff." Teresa steps into the room, hands raised from applauding. She's clearly taken the time to clean off and change since coming back, turned out immaculately again. "A bit of sport, a little melodrama. You two really make a cute couple."

"It is considered impolite to eavesdrop on private conversations." Alexander remarked, sheathing his weapon. His voice was now carefully guarded, but his eyes were sparking with irritation.

"Hence announcing my presence." Teresa replied. "And you could have locked the door if you were planning to have a heart to heart. Or put a," she looked at the two of them holding blades, "a scabbard on the doorknob."

Lenore grinned crookedly and replied, "Well, I believe I have a third sword in the box there, if you'd like to join in."

"Take on two at once? You're more daring than I suspected."

"Alliances come and go, and after all, all's fair in love and war."

"Hm. Thank you, but no. I came down to let Sir Lancelot know his new blade is prepared. And you have a care package as well."

"Oh? Why, thank you." Lenore said. "Does it have alcohol in it?"

"No, we have plenty of that up in the bar. It's more work oriented. And fills up a good part of the hangar. I think our mechanic is a bit upset. I had them ship in all of the IG Projects mothballed mecha in the area. You can your pick of the lot for your... companion."

Lenore's grin became rueful as she replied, "Well, he's already upset by having to break the mecha he carefully repaired, just so Seruel can fit in it. Half of me wants to see this, while the other half knows to stay as far away from angry mechanics as possible."

While Teresa and Lenore talked, Alexander blanched. This was a conversation he had no place in. Thankfully the conversation had quickly changed tack to something he could talk about. "And you, Ms. Kurita-Steiner? Surely you are not planning on taking our spots here...is there something I can do for you, perhaps? I have not adequately thanked you for overseeing the construction of the Durandal." He added, after a moment.

"Perhaps there is something you can do for me," Teresa practically purred, knowing it will make Alexander uncomfortable. "And no need to thank me. I enjoy a challenge."

She continued more soberly, "Cecil and I found evidence of something troubling in the administration of the city. Essentially the entire MHC administrative staff has been missing for several days, and their compound is crawling with guards. I think we need to investigate further. I would appreciate your support in putting together a plan to follow that up."

"With mecha or on foot?" Lenore asked.

"Personally I suspect we'll need to take both approaches." Teresa said. "A team on the ground to get a closer look, but I have a feeling we'll want heavier support on hand. I don't think we'll like what we find."

"That will not be a simple matter." Alexander put in. "There is much potential for this plan to backfire on us, considering at least two of us are marked men who will be shot on sight by the MHC military."

"Yes... our good doctor as well." Teresa mused. "It's a risk I think we need to take."

"Then we must make preparations. At risk of sounding old-fashioned, we should act like knights and paint our armors black."

Lenore looked somewhat into the distance. "I'm kind of thinking. On one hand, we would need to run this by Commander Ska. However... with preparation and extra power, I believe Seruel might be able to instantly teleport all six of your battlesuits with him, in case we need mechanized support."

"Teleport? Hm." Teresa considered. "That presents... interesting tactical options." She smiles - it's not a nice smile. Feral, almost. "I have to keep that in mind. And don't worry, Alexander, you aren't at risk of sounding old fashioned."

Lenore stretched. "Anyways, I hear the base has a hot spring. I think I'll soak in that and hit the sack."

"My intentions exactly." Teresa concurred. "A few hours soaking in hot water, out of these clothes, and a good nights sleep."

Lenore folded up her shield and puts it and her sword away in the box. "We'll have to spar more later, Alex."

She started out the door, then paused."Oh, and Teresa."

"Mm?"

She pulled a nice cloth handkerchief out of a pocket and hands it to her. It had TKS embroidered in one of the corners. "For next time you have to get your hands dirty." With that done, she called out, "Anyways, good night! See you tomorrow!" She then walked out.

"Thank you." Teresa studied the handkerchief a moment, a bit confused, then followed Lenore out. "Good night, Sir Lancelot. I suppose you won't be joining us in the hot spring. Enjoy your prayers."

Now alone in the empty hangar, Alexander let out a most undignified snort. "Praying with my mind in such disarray? As if." Shaking his head, he made his way to the bar. He needed something to dull his wayward mind, before sleep forced him to face what it was now hiding.

Thanks to TransientPeople and Gorbash for being such good sports.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 5

Lenore is out of bed instantly at the shriek, the dream burned into her brain. She jumps out of bed, throws a robe over her nightclothes, and comes out armed with a pistol and a sword.

She looks the group over, and sees Teresa and Cecil are sensibly armed, but Alex and Harriman aren't. "I'm the best armed, I have point. We don't have time to go hack for weapons." Then she turned to Seruel and asked, "Was that a normal scream or did it have supernatural power to it, like the songs?"

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore Santiago, FP 5

Lenore led the charge to the room, sword in one hand and gun in the other. As she did, she asked the group, "Oh, I had a dream that was reminiscent of the creatures, and I know it wasn't a natural dream. I have experience with dreams from external sources. Did any of you have that dream?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Lenore, FP 5

Lenore, meanwhile, went to the medical supply cabinet and pulled out gauze and tape. The first thing she did was apply gauze to her ears, then tape it on. "That should keep out most of the noise or the song. Let's make sure everyone's covered before we try to gag him, in case something slips out."

If no one objected, she would start applying her makeshift ear protection to everyone.

• Locked thread