Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Francine Natra -- FP: 2

"..." This is... Getting too out of hand. Francine shakes her head and starts messing with the controls of her mecha. "Time to end this." The Chevalier flies up to the grey skies, almost a mile away from the giant mouth. "Removing speed constraints. Activating all boosters..." She mumbles while flipping various switches around the cockpit. The Chevalier starts to rumble as steam comes out of its thrusters.

"Activating Lohengrin's spin... 10%... 55%... 120%!" The drill-shaped lance starts to spin and spin, creating a small vortex around it as it reaches an incredible vortex! "All preparations complete. Time to end this!" The Chevalier's thrusters let out an incredible roar as they EXPLODE in a sound-barrier shattering shockwave as the Mech darts forward at Mach 3 speed! It drills inside the mouth like a gigantic projectile, piercing through everything on its way!

Invoking Red Knight's Charge! If it survives, giving the Chevalier-shaped hole aspect to it!

<Plutonis> !r 4df+7
<Krysmbot> Plutonis, /-//+7 = 6

gently caress you Krysmbot, doing this despite you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

The Defeat of Doubt Leaves Only Confusion

Wolfe's ruse fails to fool the mouth, which attempts to close as Wolfe and Akari begin charging their lasers. Francine rushes ahead, though, slamming viciously into the mouth, shattering it's toothy shield as she passes clear through.

Then the beams fire.

It has just enough time to scream wordlessly in anger as the power lances straight down its throat. The ground itself crackles and shatters as the combined power roars through everything, obliterating sound, obliterating thought, obliterating words-

And then everyone opens their eyes to find themselves standing in the med bay. A mere moment has passed in reality. The Doctor is still halfway through his words -"they're a psyche hazard!"

At the door stands a young woman, looking slightly to the left of Francine's eyes, mouth open to introduce herself.

Everyone feels extremely awkward.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Wolfe Arhawk 0 Fate Points

"Yes we are now very much aware. I expect our British companion will be awakening momentarily as well." Wolf said in a rather matter of fact tone as well. "Fortunately we were able to free him from the psychic grasp of these...creatures." He continued delicately and decided that he would wait until after he found out more before he did or did not chew him out for allowing so many people to be compromised.

"You're surprisingly familiar with Psi, considering that there are no natural humans with psychic powers." Wolfe said in a conversational manner, the sort you use when you're discussing a topic that interests you. He was of course probing the doctor through conversation (he avoided touching his mind though), to see if the doctor knew about him or revealed any knowledge he should not normally have.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Akari Sakuramori FP: 2

Akari bows rigidly, at a perfect 45° angle.

"My humble greetings to you all! I apologise for the intrusion, but I have been assigned to serve you! I wish to speak, if you'll see fit to hear me!"

She puts one hand on her hip and points skyward with the other. An air conditioning vent blows her hair dramatically. "I am Akari Sakuramori! Magical Lyrical Girl Akari-chan! I was created by the Empire of Heaven to protect Japan, and my divine mission has led me here! Let us walk the path of a true warrior together and wash away these invaders on a tide of blood and honor!"

"...But first, do you have a spare bedroom?"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"Qu'est ce que mérde?" Absolutely nothing that this girl just said makes sense at all. "NINA, is she part of this ship personnel? If not, I request permission to strike her down as an enemy invader." Yes, this is obviously some kind of creature from whatever nightmare realm they just arrived from.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Wolfe tried to avoid sighing theatrically. "Lady Natra, considering that she just assisted us I think it might be prudent to afford her some modicum of benefit of doubt. Especially since as while a great deal of subjective time passed, little relative time has actually passed. Miss Sakumori must logically have already been aboard and NINA would have informed us if we were compromised." He said explaining the situation in a calm, logical and rational manner.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Hunter Hemley III - 2 Fate points

A moan came from the bed he had been placed on, and slowly, the Prime Minister's eyes opened. He shuddered slightly, struggling with the pounding headache from within the dreamscape they had escaped from, before realising his current posistion and instantly springing to his feet, fighting back the urge to vomit as he did. He took a quick look at everyone, took a breath, and spoke:

"I take it most of what I have just experienced... wasn't a dream then?" He shot eyes at everyone, but did his best not to look at the masked man - no, lady, he corrected himself there, that is a lady under there - until he paused at the form of Akari.

"I'm sorry... who is this? Did I miss the briefing again?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ten - 5 FP

"Visual Cortex and Brain Activity returning to normal. Running diagnostic please wait 10 for processes to complete."

He heard over his suit, all his motor controls shutdown and Ten stands there as a monolith for a few seconds while he is examined and drugs are administered correctly. There was going to be a struggle to fight this type of combat for the man and he knew it. He decided to contact his monstrous robot for support. There wasn't going to be any option.

Chui access all local databases on psi combat and download them to my suit. He thought as the machines interpreted and sent the information on.

Finally his suit begins to glow again as it attempts to adapt to the attack in the background, releasing control once again to Ten's brain.

"Welcome, you saved us. I apologize for my behavior it was-" He looked at the others with what could pass as a pained expression. "-unacceptable."

"Blood and honor is a good way to live. This type of attack struck me off guard, I am having Chui search for information on it. There has to be a defense for it, is there not? Wolfe?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

NINA

The AI manages to speak before anyone twitches. "Ms. Sakuramori was assigned to the squad at the same time as Mr. Hemley and and Mr. Ten. However, it took longer to prep her gear for transport, as she had more of it. She was supposed to be reporting for a routine medical exam; we had reports of a vitamin D deficiency."

The battleship would sigh here, if it was capable of doing so. "Your quarters are on level 3, with the others, Ms. Sakuramori. Follow the GREEN strip on the walls if you get confused. For now, though, I'm sure you all would like to debrief after the unintentional psyche-hazard event. As well as interrogate the prisoner."

Before anyone can question what NINA means, Wolfe realizes that the White Heaven survivor that started this whole mess has just opened his eyes.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

"There are. However that was an extremely powerful entity. Think of it in terms of an attack, if an enemy force has an energy weapon capable of vaporising a city then a single unit or battleships' shield will only offer limited protection. The fact that we were not irreparably mentally damaged is a testament to all of our mental discipline and fortitude. And I mean that. We are all very lucky." Wolfe said with complete sincerity to both Ten and to Francine. But then the crew member awoke and there were other matters to attend to.

"Doctor, can you quarantine the patient in case they still possess abnormal brainwaves or are channelling a foreign consciousness?" Wolfe asked matter of factly, the issue of the doctor's familiarity with Psi the less important issue right now.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Why do they keep omitting such intel? Good graces, this organization is... Well, really disorganized. "I..." Francine just shakes her head, too mentally exhausted to argue about this situation. Instead, it's better to steer the course somewhere else. She does a mental not to watch out for Wolfe, as her suspicions about him never really subsided. "I will go see to the interrogation."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Akari nods. "Very well! This is what I was trained for. I will assist, and then I will retire!"

The idol girl skips over and twirls, striking a magical girl pose complete with sparkles and a non-threatening wink, before grabbing the prisoner and hauling him up with her dainty idol hands.

"YOU!! Listen up! You have information we need! And it is in your best interests to share it! I won't threaten to hurt you because that isn't the way of a TRUE WARRIOR! But we have VERY COMPELLING ARGUMENTS! WE WILL TREAT YOU HUMANELY! DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR?"

Forcefully creating the advantage Akari-tan Starlight Wonder Perp Sweating! <Krysmbot> Ettin, ++-/+1 = 2

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Prisoner #1

"W-what."

BOOST created.

Doctor

"MY NAME IS DONAVICH- yes sure I'll see what I can do." The doctor bustles off into the connected office. The sounds of rummaging can be heard. "Should be safe for now though," he calls, "Generally they're safe when they're awake from all reports."

K Prime fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 2, 2013

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Francine Natra -- FP: 3

Francine just slams her face deep inside her palm upon hearing Akari's interrogation "techniques". Still, the way she intimidated the prisoner might give her some sort of advantage. "It's advisable that you cooperate. As the... Most reasonable officer aboard the ship, I will guarantee your safety aboard this ship, and a chance to join our cause. Otherwise, we have no choice but to bring you back to your country... Where they will most likely assume you are a traitor."

Yet... That kind of underhanded tactic strikes deep within Francine's psyche, and her voice is wavering as she continues her threat. "And... And they will shoot you."

Using Akari's boost and rolling Careful!
<Plutonis> !r 4df+5
<Krysmbot> Plutonis, ----+5 = 1

:shepicide: Compelling Ideals behind the Mask

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ten

He looks to Wolfe and then back to the doctor as both them start to interrogate the prisoner. He gives a slight shrug and watches, it seemed better than his technique, but then again, he was not designed and created to do such work. He was supposed to be a hope of a people.

"It would benefit your family and people to cooperate, if you are honorable, death would not phase you, but this, this is very true. Many will suffer due to your inaction." Ten says with a dull monotone after Francine's rather stammered attempt at a threat.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

The Med Bay

The man stares at Francine and Ten incredulously, and then clams up completely.

Compel accepted.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Let's build up a few boosts before we go for broke guys. It might help in case we get more terrible rolls.

Creating a Boost: 11:10 AM <Krysmbot> HiKaizer, -+/-+3 = 2
I call it Bad Cop.

Wolfe waited until Ten caught his eye and mouthed at him: Follow my lead. Good cop, bad cop. Then he walked a bit closer to the man with an air of laconic indifference.

"Since you can understand us, I must assume that your lack of speech is because you choose not to instead of being unable to. That would be most unfortunate, for you. You must understand that we have a great and very important mission, and that you have already been contaminated by a hostile and alien force. If you are unable to cooperate with us, then we must turn to more...clinical methods of finding out the information we seek." Wolfe lazily levitated a scalpel over to his hand for emphasis. He toyed with it idly without touching it while he continued to speak. "An autopsy would provide us with many potentially valuable pieces of information. For example we could examine your brain matter to see if there were chemical or physical signs of contamination. Such discoveries could help prevent further people being contaminated, or to detect those who are compromised already. With the fate of the Earth in the balance, sacrifices will have to be made. If this is where you shall make yours...well, that's ultimately your choice." He said and then suddenly grabbed the scalpel out of the air.

My plan is to have Ten and Wolf go back and forth a bit to build a few bonuses before we go for the roll. Or if you feel lucky, you can just use that boost if it succeeds.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ten

The nonverbal signal was recognized and calculated, he would follow the directives they made sense. The man seemed to be trying to convince the man that they would harm him. Thus, Ten had to be the good cop and point out the benefits of working with them. It seemed simple enough and Ten saw a movie scene play while Wolfe talked to prepare him. He was going to have to be reasonable and take over. It all seemed to make sense and his thoughts began to pull up translated possible answers and questions for the man.

Waiting for a dramatic pause between Wolfe's declaration, Ten, walked forward with his hands behind his back. "You know that simply put, my comrade would indeed do such things, but that isn't the only outcome. If you assist us, we can help you. We have the technology and we have the willpower to overcome them. Really, it all lies in your hands if you want to continue as you are." He shifts his head and nods to the man.

"My desired outcome is that you survive this and can go back to a normal life, this and only this will make you free, truly free. Without that, you are either going to be dead or your mind torn to shreds. I can tell you personally." He taps his robotic eye, "That you cannot resist, if not by ability, by computer. It does not tire and does not end. He will get his way. If you work with me, I can prevent that. Help me, help you." Ten said in his rather emotionless voice.

"Just tell me something that I can use to keep his hands off you. The more you talk the longer I can." He says leaning down to talk at eye level.

<Axe-man> !r 4df+3
<Krysmbot> Axe-man, //-++3 = 3

Creating Boost: Good Cop! Sorry for the delay holidays + severe illness = the worst ever

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

"Excellent! Very well!" Akari turns. "I will leave him in your hands. I must retire, to prepare myself for the trials ahead!"

Akari executes a military salute, spins on her heels and marches out of the room.

To my guest room! :getin:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"Wait a minute, where are you going to? We are not done yet!" Francine hurries behind Akari, trying to find out whatever this girl is up to. No discipline at all, it seems!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Akari gets a few minutes to herself! She unpacks all her otaku trashIMPORTANT CULTURAL ARTIFACTS, transforms from a MAGICAL WARRIOR back into a dorkCIVILIAN WARRIOR and flops onto her bedMEDITATES UPON THE PERFECTION OF BATTLE.

She is still meditating when Francince barges in.

"Uh..."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"..." Francine takes a few steps back and closes the door, then opens it a minute later when she remembers what she came for. "Wait a minute, who are you and what are you doing?"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Akari just kind of lies there in shock for a while, not expecting Francine to come back. When she does, Akari starts rolling towards the wardrobeTRANSFORMING!

"Ah, Francine-sama!" Akari stumbles to her feet halfway there, and jabs at herself with a thumb. "I am Akari Sakuramori. I would not lie to you!"

"I am... the Empire of Heaven raised me to be an icon for the Japanese people. I have defended Japan for years. However!" She jabs a finger towards the ceiling. "In the end, the Empire were the greatest threat! I went ronin and left to meditate, in search of the warrior's true path. In the Ideal Guardians, I have found it!"

"Make no mistake, I will destroy our enemies!" Akari is this close to gaining a halo of fire or shooting lightning from her eyes or something. "The fires of justice are always burning! But when I fight, I also seek to inspire. I must be a blazing beacon of hope! When I do not fight or inspire, I must meditate upon my path and divine my true course! Excuse me."

Akari steps behind her wardrobe door. There's the familiar glow of a transformation sequence and a sort of "WHOOSH" sound and Akari steps back out in her nice clothes, with her hair back to its original long tails.

"I apologise if you feel I have deceived you! This is the path I must choose for the sake of my people!"

Translation: "Look, sometimes I need a time-out, okay? Geez!"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What a ridiculous person! Yet... Her story does resonate with Francine's own. Being an icon of your country, only to leave when losing faith on them... Is she such a ridiculous being like Akari? "May God smite me. Perhaps we have waged war with the wrong island. " She mumbles while maskpalming. "I... Won't try to get in any further details with you, and really don't want to know more, to be honest. But I empathize with your struggle. Finding your true way... You are not the only one who wishes to do so."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Akari bows. "Thank you. May we both find our paths, then."

"Is there another mission for me to perform? If not, I have... business to attend to."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"Business?" Francine looks at the various otaku trash lying around in the room, and raises a metaphorical eyebrow. "I... See." She takes a few steps back, cautiously keeping eye contact with Akari before getting the hell away from her. Jesus Christ!

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Yang

"My name is Captain Yang. My identification number is 421555125. Those are all I am required by the Dubai Convention to provide. I claim prisoner of war status with... whoever you are, I presume rotten southern bastards."

He shifts his face away from the interrogating pair. "Leave me to my nightmares."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Making a second Boost: 10:25 AM <Krysmbot> HiKaizer, +--/+3 = 2
This time we'll call it Web of Deceit

Wolfe chuckled a little, with what he intended to be a bit of dread callousness. While the man wasn't looking though he made a quick gesture to the Prime Minister to do a check on the name and number given, to see what information they had on it. "Do you honestly think the Dubai Convention applies here? Look at us. We follow no one nation, in fact, we follow no nation at all. We have a higher calling, a need to safeguard all of humanity, such rules can be ignored if we deem it so. Now, the question is Captain, will I need to ignore them or not?"

Axe-Man, assuming this boost succeeds we'll have 3, that's a +6 to your roll and should be enough for you to nail it to get the captain to spill the beans.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ten

"I offer the clear reasonable counterproposal. It only makes sense to tell me the information before you fail. That is the main problem with the flesh, it has limits, everyone knows this. It might take days or weeks, but my counter part will find out what he wants. My solution offers no pain and in fact, would help you and the ones you love even more." Ten's eye zooms in on the man and analyzes the reactions of the man deciding to press fast and hard now.

"You can either let us help you are we will have to do what is right for all people not just you. Would you fail them as well, and let the wallow in pain in suffering over your selfishness." My fist slams down at the table and looks at the man.

<Krysmbot> Axe-man, -++-+3 = 3 + 6 = 9 to convince him to talk. Sorry for the delay I was cleaning out my bookmarked links and I accidently deleted the game thread, but not the recruitment thread :negative:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Akari relaxes for a few minutes with an energy drink and a DVD of guys being verbally abusive. Yeah, that's more like it.

After a while she feels better, so she transforms into her presentable MAGICAL GIRL form and goes to explore the ship. What does this place have besides some rear end in a top hat we're yelling at? Let's find out!

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Yang

The man matches Ten stare for stare for a tense moment. Then he deflates. "Do what you will with me. I have already failed my people. Nothing you can do to me will make it any worse than it already is. Xiamen is lost to monsters that burst from our own heads. I thought my crew free of infection... I was wrong."

Explorers

Akari barely gets 3 steps before NINA pops up from a carefully concealed dais. "Sakuramori-san. Where do you wish to go? Based on your listening material, I suggest the Aft Lounge. It is quiet and generally unoccupied, and has a screen for entertainment projection."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Inwardly Wolfe felt kind of sorry for the man. To even the others he probably seemed like a monster, but they needed the man to cooperate and it was ultimately better to deceive the man that they'd torture him than to actually follow through on those threats. What he said though was...concerning and interesting.

"Okay, we'll begin with what you just said. Firstly, explain what you mean by 'monsters that burst from your own heads'. Secondly, when did this infection begin. Were you the first to be infected and if so do you know where or what caused it."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

"A samurai's affairs are her own business!" Akari raises a dramatically-pointing finger. "But you have convinced me. To the Lounge!"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Francine shakes her head, still freaked out by the scene she has recently witnessed. Perhaps a few minutes of meditation on the Aft Lounge could work to help her put her thoughts in order?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ten

There were pictures flashing in his one eye of any thought of what they could be, possibly of other origin. Aliens? Something had to be the source of it, it had to be explainable. If they could explain it, they could fight it. Ten tensed a bit and thought of several things to add to questions, and instead figured that it might make more sense if he had it flowing like a story.

This could give ideas to the vector of the infection, possible cures and symptoms, and other likely things that could help them along. Many times victims give more detail and stories when they were remembering it than not. It made sense, as they had to picture the events in their head. Something this complex to explain might also reveal things the prisoner wanted to keep secret.

"Maybe, instead of a series of questions, it might be better to just start from the beginning. Tell us what happened once the infection came on, and what happened from there. This way we know what you know and can act accordingly." Ten said in a monotone voice looking at each with a piercing red eye.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Yang

Yang blinks for a moment. He was clearly expecting a different set of questions.

"I cannot speak to the manner of the infection, or explain it in detail. Doing so seems..." he shudders, coughing a racking cough that speaks of possible long-lasting damage from his time in the sea. "Doing so seems to spread it further. Also, for that same reason, I do not know much about it myself. That is perhaps, why we were last to be taken."

"The Empress' daughter was visiting Xiamen. A journey of peace and happiness across the empire. Something went terribly wrong. Her highness... she..."

He stares into the middle distance. "They were civilians, and she shot them. Some restrained her, but the damage was done. The riots... they came too fast. Something was organizing this. Soon we discovered that some of them, some of us, were no longer ourselves. They had become something else. Monsters."

He looks at Wolfe, something like weary amusement creeping in on the edge of his terror and depression. "You touched it, did you not? You felt what it was like. We fled when it became clear it was that or slaughter civilians, but it was too late for us. The rot had already crept aboard..."

Aft

As Francine and Akari find to their embarrassment they have come to the same place at the same time (Inside her AI shell, NINA giggles), they discover to their further embarrassment that someone is already there.

The man turns to them both with a cold gaze. "Who are you, exactly?"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Akari strikes her usual boastgreeting pose. A screen behind her happens to light up dramatically.

"I'm going to tell you something important now, so listen up! The Idolmasters are known all over Japan, with a reputation for tirelessly defending the weak from the strong! When people talk about their badass former leader - the ronin with an indomitable spirit and a warrior's heart - they're talking about me! Akari Sakuramori, the unstoppable Magical Lyrical Girl!!"

She pauses and looks down at the man - at some point she stepped onto the coffee table.

"And who do I have the honor of meeting?"

Trying to Cleverly discover an aspect on this dude:
<Krysmbot> Ettin, /--/+2 = 0
Invoking Celestial Supersoldier Training to reroll! Clearly the Empire of Heaven would have drilled her in investigating and reading people:
<Krysmbot> Ettin, --+++2 = 2 :v:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ten FP: 3

Interesting a memetic infection that infects via ideas and thoughts. This was a theorized mechanism possible for the spread of infection, but the actual mechanism would be much more complex. Ten began processing many articles to be found on them and could only find theories, he would have to connect to ship and actually pull the records from the ship itself about any type of infection that would spread this way.

Civilians. This was going to be nasty, Collateral damage was going to be extreme without action. There was only one course of action, either curing this, or attacking them, and defeating them all. Disarming or killing them did not matter, they would have to be stopped. Honor demanded it.

Ten started to link up with the ship and search for any information on the infection itself.

Going to attempt to link up with the ship and attempt to pull the information from there.
<Axe-man> !r 4df+3
<Krysmbot> Axe-man, +/-/+3 = 3

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"Who are you?" Francine says as she points her cavalry saber at the newcomer... And then notice that Akari of all people is there too. Mérde putain, she whispers to herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Hunter Hemley III

He had retired to his room, still reeling from the revelation from before. He had left as soon as he could, so not to look at the masked man - woman.. he reminded himself, woman - in the eye, and went to his room, quickly summoning his butler to bring him his earl grey. Interrogation and information broking wasn't his thing, and he couldn't focus well to keep himself from lashing out at anyone that provoked him. He instead chose to drink, his thoughts his own.

He called out loud, testing a theory. "NINA, can you hear me? If you get this, are we allowed to have information regarding our members? If so, could I please have everything regarding the masked female on the team."

• Locked thread