Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Cpt. Rupert Hightower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egY8rUpxqcE

A large man in a red suit is sitting in the ship's bar, smelling of scotch a bit early in the day. It's his bar, and it's got a very classic 1920s style. In truth, the captain had recreated the bar that served as the secret meeting-place for revolutionaries and malcontents during his early years detail by detail, bit by bit. He recreated everything, from the bar selection to the style of the fabrics, and even put in the same exact safe they used to store contraband. What's in the safe now, though, he isn't telling. He opens it, puts back the old photograph he used for reference, and shuts it again.

So the man walks out of the bar. He surveys his allies, and it's quite the assortment. Aside from the most advanced battleship he's ever seen, there's a monk, a former president, a knight, who he decides to ignore for now, and a strange guy who seems to be some sort of secret project all by himself. "Captain Rupert Hightower, though I don't think we need to worry about rank out here. Was independent, went AUG for awhile. I've fought a few battles. Thought I'd had my fill, but here I am." He raises one eyebrow at the coin trick, never having seen that before, and gives a brief nod to the monk, who seems to be the most level-headed of the bunch.

"Mutual democracy works fine for me. Can we start taking the fight to the enemy now, or is there something for us to handle?"

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Cpt. Rupert Hightower

High Concept: Covertly Compassionate Commissar
Invoke to: Protect or bolster another pilot.
Compel to: Have Hightower take a risk to ensure the safety of another pilot.

Trouble:Too Many Have Died Already
Invoke to: Act to prevent a death.
Compel to: Get emotional about the possibility of someone dying.

Aspect:Voiced By Norio Wakamoto
Invoke to: Do something extremely manly.
Compel to: Respond to a situation with maximum manliness.

Aspect:The Strategy From The Last War!?!
Invoke to: Use a technique Hightower has seen in the past.
Compel to: Have the opposition use a technique Hightower has seen in the past.

Approaches:
Careful +2
Clever +2
Flashy +1
Forceful +3
Quick +1
Sneaky +0

Stunts
Over Here, rear end in a top hat: Once you lay a maneuver on a foe, you may freely tag that maneuver any time the foe attacks someone other than you, rather than just once.
One Hit And It Was Over: Once per session, you can compel the target of a successful Forceful Attack to take a Mild Consequence.

Prototype 17: Codename BLOOD DRAGON

An ancient prototype used in the Unification Wars and perhaps even earlier, the Blood Dragon has preserved itself for an unknown period of time due to its ability to draw power for maintenance systems from the Earth's own magnetic field. For many decades it sat in stasis due to its features being insufficiently documented for anyone to use it safely. During the occupation, the AUG transferred it to the British Occupied Territory on the condition that it only be used by highly advanced pilots.

It is, at bare minimum, several decades old, as it was used in the wars that unified the AUG. It may have existed as a mere mythic statue, a receptacle for the power of those who believed in it, back in the ancient prehistory of the AUG. Vague descriptions of such a statue moving were documented by the first wave of European colonists, but were unconfirmed. It is known that Shaman Jack Yellowfeather modified it during the Unification Wars several decades ago, with the modifications allowing to accept a pilot and fly by riding the Earth's magnetic fields. The crown jewel of the Sioux armed forces, scientists continued to modify it with feature after feature to help maintain the air superiority of the AUG until it was mothballed 24 years ago for one reason: Nobody knew how it worked any more. The energy readings varied wildly based on the pilot and their emotional state, and nothing quite added up about how the weapons or engines worked. It was simply too unpredictable to see general use.

At least part of the truth is that its advanced neural networks, though short of True AI, have a heuristic that allow it to, when unused, upgrade itself by using the excess power generated by magnetic fields. The fists, the engines, and the force shields all mysteriously upgraded themselves to exceed the specifications of currently issued tech. Is it the hope of people guiding these upgrades? The wills of past and current pilots? The magnetic field which hints at the spirit of the Earth itself? Nobody really knows, but perhaps those in charge of assigning such machines thought Hightower's plight and that of Britain were similar enough to those ancient people resisting colonialism that the mech might synch up with him. Cpt. Rupert Hightower's skills and situation warranted an especially powerful offensive and defensive personal machine. During test runs, it seemed to take nicely to him, stabilizing and working well in conjunction with his forceful but stalwart personality, and thusly he was issued Prototype 17: Codename BLOOD DRAGON!

Theme Song: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Main Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1iQs24xqDk
Aspects:

Magnetized Destructor Fists
Invoke to: Launch a powerful attack in melee range or prevent opponent in melee range from escaping.
Compel to: Have something dangerous be stuck to the fists.

Impenetrable Deflection Field
Invoke to: Block an attack that can be seen coming.
Compel to: Have the Deflection field block something or someone when that would be inconvenient.

Undocumented Features
Invoke to: Do something unexpected.
Compel to: Do something really, really unexpected.

Power Source: Magnetic Fields??? The Pilot? Hopes and Dreams?
Is charged by bathing in magnetic fields. Can recharge energy at a base rate using the Earth's magnetic field, and may be possible to supercharge it in space using the magnetic field of the Sun. However, some speculate it can also draw power from the core of the Earth. Barely sputtered for most test pilots and jetted around uncontrollably for a few, but seems to draw power well with Hightower in the cockpit. Ancient reports say it glided on the wishes of the people, but these should be dismissed as primitive ramblings.

Robot Powers:

Deflection Field EXPAND:
Once per scene, you may freely put down a Zone Aspect of "Deflection Field" on your zone.

Magneton Punch
+2 to accuracy to hit someone when you're already exchanging blows in hand-to-hand combat.

BLACK HOLE FORCE: MAXIMUM CRUSH
Supercharge the magnetic force of the machine to attract an enemy and force them to stick to the machine; Then, create a deflection field and rocket the grappled mech into the field, then compress the field upon the mech to force them into a tiny ball, then crush the ball.

MiltonSlavemasta fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
Cpt. Rupert Hightower FP: 5

The Captain nods at Longwei's suggestion. "I can't say I've liaised frequently with EH forces, but what you are saying does sound reasonable, and naturally, you would know what would suit them. I am happy to act as the officer in charge of the Gear platoon should the Imperials wish to deal with a particular individual." He gazes towards the holograms, shrugging his shoulders. "I don't know that we should go around advertising Nina as a machine intelligence capable of running an entire battleship, but she's best equipped to present as the Captain of the battleship itself."

After that, he pauses for a long while, thinking something over in silence. Finally, he comments on what Nina stated earlier. "My Gear does not float, no, and while I can surge atop magnetic fields near populated areas, doing it in a different hemisphere in the middle of the ocean would be an entirely different sort of matter." Rupert stretches out his shoulders, cracks his knuckles, and leans back in his chair, surprisingly stoic given his previous utterance. "There's an experimental technique that should be viable for such missions, of course. I just never went far enough away from my homeland to need to use it. I'll follow Nina's advice and hold myself in reserve, actively piloting only in the event a serious engagement occurs." He turns to the monk. "Longwei is capable of making his own decisions."

After brushing his hair out of his face, one last thing crosses his mind. "It looks like we've already got a majority, but I'm voting Yes as well. Solidarity's the first and last thing you rely on out there. Don't forget that."

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
Cpt. Rupert Hightower - FP 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqM7ZiAkHHw
While listening to the transmission, a dark look begins to cover Hightower's face. "I only know of one Gear capable of bringing down a battleship with one unidentified shot. Or, I should say, one Chevalier." The captain deliberately avoids making eye contact with Francine, then continues, clenching his left fist. "I suppose that's not fair. He could be PMC Senior Staff. It would suit him, for even the rats in a pub toilet would puke after seeing his mercenary fighting style."

"It was 5 years ago, March. In order to take the pressure off of the Free British forces, we loaded six of our best pilots and machines on to an AUG battlecruiser. We planned to cross the English Channel, but we only made it halfway before a strange blast hit us in the stern. The captain of the ship tried to turn around, but Jehovah gears appeared from all directions to cut off the escape. We launched what Gears we could, but three better pilots than I and countless sailors went down with that sinking ship. It was that day, drawing on my anger, that I obtained the synchronization necessary to push my machine to its maximum, and after I crushed those keeping me back with the help of my comrades, it was then I saw him escaping into the distance."

"Unknown Pilot. Codename: WHITE FANG!"

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
Cpt. Rupert Hightower

Inside his cockpit, Hightower finally responds to Longwei and Nina. "You're probably right; White Fang being out here would be most unusual. But, if that's not what did it, it could be anything. I'll be noting Nina's suggestion and staying close; I can use the battleship as a magnetic anchor."

"I'll be in contact if you need anything."

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
Cpt. Rupert Hightower FP: 5

"Damnit! It's a trap, you bloody rookies! This is exactly what they wanted you to do!" Somehow, Hightower's spacious wood-paneled cockpit is not enough to contain the rage of his bulky form. His fist crashes against teak while he shakes in his luxurious leather seat, positioned far back so he can see the readouts of both the Gear's eyes. A mechanical voice responds to his blustering. "Pilot's emotions have activated ENGAGE mode. ENGAGE controls are being prepared."

Various instruments and switches emerge out of the leather seat, and Hightower grabs a lever in his left hand. "Nina, brace yourself. Afterwards, would you kindly follow to my position? I suppose I need to rescue hot-blooded patriots once again." He grabs another lever in his right hand and hurls them both forward. "Longwei! Natra! I'm coming for you, damnit!"

The Gear's fists charge with an arcing purple energy, then plant solidly on Nina's main deck. The mechanical voice speaks once again. "Pilot has indicated MAGNETIC REPULSION JUMP. Clear the area." Hightower jerks the two levers all the way backwards, and the magnetic fists switch in polarity, repelling him away from Nina's surface with maximum force. After the Gear's massive head pushes through the clouds like a missile, the hulking machine begins to drop like a rock. As he passes by Francine he shakes his head and yells into the comm, "You want to come? Too late to back out now!" His left fist extends towards the Perceval and magnetizes it such that they begin to arc downwards together, plopping the captain and the knight in the water next to this supposed humanitarian crisis.

He pushes a button next to the leather seat and sighs to his onboard computer. "Scan Area." He looks over to Longwei's gear next to him. "It's probably a trap, but that doesn't mean there isn't anyone down in there. No one gets left behind."

Used +Forceful to move 3 zones to the wreck (was rolled in IRC)
Rolled a 2 on +Clever to Scan, invoking Too Many Have Died Already to scan the vessel for a total of +4.

MiltonSlavemasta fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 9, 2013

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
Cpt. Rupert Hightower FP: 3

"A drill propeller? Will that work?" The captain looks over the cruiser to figure out how to lift it to the surface. He keeps staring at the propeller, though, as if it's piqued his interest. "After planes began to use propellers, what came next? That would be jet engines. I recall hearing about a prototype once for a water ramjet." Then, silently, he engages the powered magnetic core of the Blood Dragon, magnetizing directly to the surface of the cruiser.

"Longwei. Natra. Nina. Be advised this cruiser is likely to shoot upwards if my plan is successful. When I served with AUG, I was briefed on a failed prototype for a water ramjet. As long as you have the capacity to open, superheat, and vent two chambers, it should be possible to propel and steer a large object at an extremely high rate of speed. If I retract my fists while leaving their containment unit open and charge them with enough energy, they should let me turn the incoming water into steam propulsion. It's my only option, as I can't maneuver effectively down here."

The Blood Dragon levels its arms facing upwards, and bubbles begin to emerge around the fists, which are slowly but surely changing color despite the cooling effect of the ocean's water. As Rupert stays sealed to the sunken cruiser, he begins to take his fists into his large arms while spinning them and charging them with even more energy. Once again, he pushes the levers in the cockpit all the way to maximum. "It's still too weak!" The large british man begins yanking the levers back and forth angrily, refusing to give up on his plan. "Damnit, there are people down in there! Living people! You can't loving tell me my plan is too ridiculous!"

In response, the Gear's computer voices an opinion once again. "Captain, it seems like you are trying to superheat the fists beyond the AUG-required failsafe. Would you like to disable failsafes? Rupert laughs. "Computer, I am no longer employed by AUG. Disable failsafes and keep them disabled." "Very well. Use your best judgement, Captain." Weird crunching noises and metallic grinding echo inside the cockpit as new levers extend out of nowhere, and leather on the seating retracts to reveal new buttons. Rupert extends the original levers below the arms of the chair and steam immediately begins to explode out of the vents in his arms. "That's more like it! No one gets left behind!"

Initial Roll: 2
Invoke: Magnetic Destructor Fists
Invoke: Too Many Have Died Already
Total: 6

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
Cpt. Rupert Hightower FP: 3

Defense #1: 3 Defense #2: 4 Initiative: 3

Hightower grits his teeth as enemies start appearing. "Cowardly rats! Taking advantage of a rescue mission to save dying sailors in order to attack us with our guard down? Gear pilots, steel yourselves! Arhawk, Supa, your assistance is requested!" The enemies don't seem to entirely understand where his vulnerable points are, or perhaps aren't very accurate shooters, one or the other. Both torpedos simply end up being sucked into the massive intake vortexes of his thermal fist ramjet engine, where they detonate harmlessly. "Ha! You are inferior to the true and honorable pilots of the IG."

I will do more stuff when my initiative comes up.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
Cpt. Rupert Hightower FP:2

"Bloody hell. I drat well knew this was coming." Hightower makes a noise that sounds like a growl into the comms, then tries to assess the situation in more depth. Through the murky ocean he could spot the silhouettes of Aquatic Gears in front of him, and he could spot the same gears behind him. Their positioning was perfect; He had no way of hitting them in either direction before he would be open to their fire. "Ladies, Gentlemen, Battleship, as much as I would like to take the brunt of the first assault myself, that doesn't seem workable in this scenario. The only way we can take the initiative is if I launch someone at them."

The captain pauses for a moment, letting the absurdity of the tactic sink in. "Mr. President, if you would kindly allow me to launch you at the enemy, I believe I can position you to inflict maximum damage." Rupert pulls two levers back and pushes a button while examining the large displays carefully. "Yes, I think you're the most suited. It will expose you to a normal amount of danger, of course. Shall I?"

Roll rerolled with Voiced By Norio Wakamoto for a total of +2; I am to throw Supa into Zone 5.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
Rupert Hightower FP: 2

After the President's been thrown into the net, Hightower swears. "Bloody Hell! I should've seen that trick coming. It's the oldest one around; Position yourself so someone needs to expose themselves and rush in, and then trap whoever comes. Well, I see this trap coming, and I'm following up, ladies and gentlemen!"

Hightower's hands become ramjets once again as he moves through the water gradually towards the enemies with the nets. After Nina fires the beam cannon, he laughs heartily. "Yes! Yes! We've got the bastards on the ropes." Finally, he arrives at Supa's location. "You alright, Mr. President?" He winds up a devastating haymaker aimed in the face of the first of the AquaGears opposing him. "This is for high treason against the AUG government!"

Moved to Zone 5 over the course of two turns, then attacked. Rolled <Krysmbot> miltons, +3 to punch a guy. If any of the other actions leave behind something I can tag for a bigger punch, I'll take it.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
Captain Rupert Hightower

Hightower forces the Blood Dragon to recover from throwing the punch, but only just in time for his screen to show that he's been targeted and the three enemy AquaGears are rallying. His wrapped hand crushes the material of his leather seat. "Impossible, guy! No faceless trooper of unknown allegiance can take my haymaker and walk off like a champ. There's got to be some sort of lingering-" And before the Captain can finish his sentence, one of the enemy Gears promptly collides with the firing one, not hard enough to damage its systems, but hard enough to knock the shooter slightly off-target, turning what would be a direct hit on core systems into more of a graze.

Still, that graze is enough to push Hightower into the red zone. "You want to shoot at my heart like this is some duel? What do you know about duels, faceless scum!? My clan have been dueling champions of England since before any of your petty HJS or ISF or PMC nonsense ever existed! Jackson Hightower used the pistol! James Hightower used the Rapier! William Hightower used the Claymore! But those are too elegant for you, sewer rats! I shall destroy you with the ancient martial art of England, BAREKNUCKLE MARQUIS OF QUEENSBURY BATTLING!"

The Blood Dragon jets forward once again, chasing down the erratically-moving Gear, wildly throwing left and right hooks in order to box it in. "Our brawl wasn't finished, you coward! How am I supposed to show Longwei the simple purity of western boxing if you won't even ENGAGE?!" Suddenly, the onboard AI interjects. "ENGAGE mode already activated, Captain. Going into OVERDRIVE." Suddenly, the chest opens to expose the magnetic core of the gear, a charged, lucent orb arcing with electricity. Hightower shifts two levers forward in the cockpit. "MAGNETIZE! You're not running away now, you little twat. BLACK HOLE CRUSH OVERDRIVE!"

Horrifyingly, the magnetic core seems to shift in polarity until the enemy Gear is being crushed against the armor of the Blood Dragon. Deflection fields emerge around it as if by automation, and begin to close in. Rupert solemnly raises the massive arms of the mech and pulls them in, clinching the opposing Gear in his arms and grinding it away to nothing. As the core whirls, contracting the metal of the opposing gear, and the deflection fields force its implosion from all sides, the fists begin to crush the enemy Gear. The catharsis relieving him of his anger, Hightower speaks once again, more calmly. "So long, soldier."

After the attack hit, I utilize my One Hit and It's Over Stunt to inflict a consequence on the gear I struck earlier. I tag this consequence in defense, so I take 3 stress and no consequences. Then, gaining a bonus from my stunt from hitting this guy with a Forceful attack last round, I activate my Signature attack against him, leading to a total of +9 in bonuses. Roll is 9.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
Cpt. Rupert Hightower

"We've made our point. I'm getting out of here!" As the mines begin to close it, the Blood Dragon ramjets backwards out of harm's way, back towards the sinking ship that brought them there in the first place. "I'm fine with leaving two that have seen us. Perhaps they'll let their command know to stop screwing around." Finally, he reaches the ship and attaches to it magnetically, both using his jets to tow the ship to surface and having his hefty Gear towed itself. "We've snagged enough traps today. Get up, get out, debrief."

Heading back to the ship. Rolled a 3 for movement this round, so I think I can hit the sub-zone where Supa is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
Cpt. Rupert Hightower

The veteran rubs his chin in thought. "Nina, your scans of the White Heaven make me wonder if there was some sort of mole operating aboard, either an agent for a foreign government or some sort of external anti-government forces. If you get the chance, I'd like you to pull the Ship's roster, and we'll see who cannot be accounted for. Later, we'll naturally ask the sailors about what happened."

He turns to Longwei and Arhawk. "Meanwhile, I'd like to accompany you on an interrogation of the surviving pilot. Whoever we're up against, they're practiced and well-organized, and their commander is no moron."

• Locked thread