Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Oh man, Hayward was one of the stars of TotalBiscuit's LP. Garrosh can die because we know he's not Hayward but we don't know if he's replacement is or isn't.

Really excited for this LP; Shining Force 2 is my favourite game of all time but I've never been able to play this, and I was devestated when TB abandoned his LP. You better fininsh this! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

1/4 technically, because of the premium disc.

Does anyone know if the translation patch works with the japanese version of the game? 'Cause that's the only copy I own.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

Slade's not even in the top five most broken characters in SFII. He just dies constantly - especially on Super.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

Claude and Chester in SFCD, and Karna - hell, all the healers - in SFII would be on my list.

There's not really anyone in SFI that I would call 'broken'. Zylo and Bleu I guess, maybe Anri as well, but they're more just 'really good' rather than 'broken'. I've never played SFIII so I don't know about that.

Also May in the game gear version of Gaiden II, with her ridiculous Freeze 3.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

I wouldn't call Domingo broken - he gets Bolt pretty late, and being a mage relies on MP meaning he can become almost useless towards the end of battles. Don't know how I forgot about Guntz, he's definitely up there. Also, depending on what weapons you give them, Kokichi and one of the birdmen can be really good flying glass cannons.

I'm definitely in the vast minority of people who have played SFII but I don't think Slade is any better than slightly above average. He's 12th slot filler in most of my playthroughs.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

AsInCoolAsA posted:

Domingo doesn't get bolt in SF1. Shining Force CD is a different story though.

Huh.

Well then he's even less broken than I thought.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

I guess it depends on your definition of 'broken'. I don't really see a character as broken if they have a significant drawback like low movement. I mean, there are characters that are ridiculously good without stat items, so needing one automatically puts you lower on the list. At least Guntz has spears and (I think?) no movement penalty.

If we include stat-ups then Gerhalt moves into broken territory in my mind. 7 move with no movement penalty, significantly more survivability than Slade (who also has 7 move and no penalty) and no weapon, so he can get the massive boost from the power ring/Attack spell, and that's with just a pimento.

bobbertoriley posted:

Nope. Instead, he gets Boost, which makes him even more broken. And as mentioned earlier, his high HP and Defense make him a great aggro target, even after he's run out of MP. This kinds decreases near the end game, but up until like Chapter 7 or so he's perfect at it.

Boost also costs a hefty chunk of MP - which is worse on an offensive mage who needs the MP for damage - and comes really late in the game. Domingo is a really good character, but he's not broken.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Bench Kahn for his screwup with the orb.

This. Kahn has a silly hat and it's only gotten worse since promotion. Plus you already have two healers anyway.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

Ninjas in Shining Force games are always so disappointing. Ruburan and Hanzou in the GBA remake are the good ones, to the point of being broken. Not Slade though, Slade sucks and is bad.

Anyway bench Ratchet for being slow and boring and bad at living and stick in Hagane for being not those things.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

He doesn't really suck, but I do think he's more of a filler for 11th/12th spot rather than one of the best units. Maybe he just doesn't suit my style of play, but I find him really mediocre starting around North Parmecia.

He has below average attack for a front line guy, and poo poo defense and HP. His high movement is useless because he can't take more than one hit from anything short of mages (and in Super he gets one-shotted by a lot of things), so sending him out ahead will just get him killed and he doesn't have enough MP to reliably do damage from range. You could keep him back and just use him to finish guys off but that could be done by anyone, not to mention it'd make the Gisarme's ability irrelevant.

I guess I've just never been in a position where I was glad I picked Slade over another warrior/centaur/whatever, It's mostly just "Oh great, Slade just died to the third enemy we've faced. Now I have to spend the next battle feeding him kills so he doesn't fall behind, again :geno:".

Then again I like using Janet so the gently caress do I know :v:.

EDIT:

KataraniSword posted:

I would assume that the difficulty in raising him to a useable level (THIF Slade is terrible) combined with the fact that he dies if an enemy so much as looks at him offsets his huge attack stat.

His attack isn't huge is the problem though. If he could hit like Peter/Gerhalt/Claude it'd at least be something to consider, but he's on the same level - if not worse - as Jaha and Lemon, who are both much tankier as well.

Taffy Torpedo fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 8, 2014

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

inthesto posted:

Yeah, Slade is proven to have the third highest attack after Peter and Gerhalt, so I don't know what you're talking about. :confused:

Really? Going off the SF2 editor he averages out to about 8th or 9th, which is in line with the playthroughs I've used him in, where he's had around the same attack as Bowie and Jaha. Unless his growth is late because I usually dump him 2/3 of the way through the game.

Still though, to be able to use his attack he has to be alive, and being alive isn't exactly something Slade's good at.

But if we're on the subject of weird things we do in SF2, I almost never pick Karna or Tyrin at Creed's.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

I don't know how accurate any of these numbers are, but going by that chart and the SF2 editor Slade ends the game with Attack in the low 50s, with the +42 from the Gisarme puts him around ~95. That's less than Bowie and Jaha, who are pushing ~100 with the Force Sword/Rune Axe respectively, and about equal with Lemon and Eric, all of whom can take a hit or two.

For me the instant death and Magic are the things stopping him from being on the same level as someone like Chester. I don't even mind him when he's a thief. He doesn't take up anyone else's spot and he's not as bad to babysit as Kiwi. It's everything between Creed's and - at best - getting mithril weapons that I have a hard time with. It kind of goes back to my point about Slade being a filler member; I use him when I've already got 11 guys and I need one more front-line unit and just think "gently caress it, Slade'll do".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

Eric is easily the best non-archery centaur (May is such a late bloomer that you could arguably call him the best centaur period) and Randolf is a perfectly usable choice if Jaha's falling behind. It's just that two physical attackers tend to pale in comparison to a healer that can grind levels with Boost, and the game's requisite Bolt-Barfer; especially the latter since Kazin is so much better off as a Sorceror than a Wizard.

Basically, there is no technically wrong choice to make at Creed's, though I'd think twice about picking Randolf if your Jaha is doing well; Gladiators are notably worse than Barons in most circumstances, and you can only get one Baron before Lemon.

Yeah, I don't take Karna because I find boost-leveling incredibly boring, so I might as well just use Frayja, who gets Aura 3 and 4 early enough that you don't really have to powerlevel outside of just healing every turn.

Tyrin's more just a timing thing. The battles right after Creed's are some of my least favourite in the game, and Eric and Randolf both just smash through them, catching up with the rest so fast that they pretty much have a 4 level advantage the whole time, whereas Tyrin spends most of them trudging along with Freeze 2, dreaming of when he learns Bolt and can actually start doing damage.

• Locked thread