Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!

Oh hey, it's that game I was always too lazy to LP!

I love this game - the characters are great, the plot is good, music is fantastic, the battle animations are fun to watch, and certain characters are complete loving beasts. There's a lot of depth and secrets. I even love how it ties into Shining the Holy Ark. (maybe I should LP that one) But somehow I never got around to putting the time into Scenarios 2 and 3 when they became available. So really looking forward to more.

(also you didn't ask for character names and I'm not suggesting, but last time I started a game I named them Robert, Rhaegar and Eddard. It almost works?)

ultrafilter posted:

This looks interesting, and I'll follow it. How much am I missing out on by not being familiar with the previous two games?

Pretty much nothing in this game comes from SF1 or 2, IIRC. There is some continuity from Shining the Holy Ark, but that's some way off and you can probably live without it.

It's a real shame Sega seems hell bent on burying this title's existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Seriously. Pretty sure these are the talents of SEGA's janitorial staff.

I think SF3 was one of the last Saturn games to come to the west and I doubt Sega had much of a budget for localisation. The script is good in general (if wordy...) but the in-battle voices are dreadful.

That's not intended to be an excuse, just the only reason I can think of for how awful they are.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

I usually saved him out of principle, but honestly he never looked that interesting to me. So let him die and we'll see who we get instead.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

I'm conflicted. On one hand those scenes about Garosh were pretty sad, on the other I'd never seen them before, so I'm kinda glad I voted for him to die. Guess I'm just kinda an rear end in a top hat?

That Saraband ambush kinda freaked me the first time though the game, seemed like a lot to deal with in just the third battle. Of course the difficulty is actually pretty well pitched.

quote:

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in-game yet, but Arrawnt and Mageron are half-brothers to Medion, who was born to a commoner mother. Does this sound familiar yet?

Never noticed that similarity to FFT before! But then I never found anyone except Spiriel in that scene very memorable. Probably because none of them show up again in the whole of Scenario 1. The perils of doing a trilogy of episodic games...

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Been a while, but I think I really liked Switching Point. It's so tense and I've not seen a similar mission in many other games.

Actually I really like the entire chapter that starts with Railhead. Some really memorable battles here.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

If I recall correctly, Irene starts off unimpressive but becomes an A+ never-ever-leave-the-force character with levels. I really liked her. Her animations were cool too, that roundhouse.

Gimmicky levels like this (with the dual areas) were part of why I liked this game too.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Hell yeah, Cybel. Centaur murder squad complete!

... with halberds, Cybel has my favourite special attack in the game. It's just fun to watch!

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Aces High posted:

Even though I think is has been covered many many times in the previous threads I figure I will ask again for my sake. The story as I know it is that Shining Force 3 as released in North America was not the complete game whereas in Japan it was released to completion. What is the reason behind why we only got half (I guess in this case 2/3) of a game instead of the whole thing? Is this a Mother 3 type scenario too?

We only got 1/3, and it was really just a case of there not being the will or market to bring it over. Saturn was dead in the west. As bitter as I was about only getting SF3 Scenario 1, I guess we're lucky we got that much at all.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Oops, I just noticed this was back.

Love that waterfall battle, it's one of my defining memories of playing Scenario 1. Really pretty map, for it's day, and lots of interesting twists.

As for Galm... I'm not gonna do a writeup or anything, not played StHA in ages, but that guy gives me the chills big-time. You NEVER get to fight him in StHA! I have no idea what he's capable of, and that makes him one of the few RPG antagonists who actually worries me...

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

You know, I've never seen Justin be useful, but you seemed to have implied that it's possible.

So if you think you can make something of Justin, ditch Horst. If not, ditch Justin.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

... was the entire scene with Tristus and Margaret in the original translation? I don't remember this stuff at all.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

I've been keenly following this thread since it started, but now you really have my attention. Doing a great job, keep it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Medion's story is pretty interesting, because it's pretty much the opposite of what I thought it'd be. Medion seemed like the "cooler, more competent" Synbios to me, at least in Scenario 1 - probably because he kept showing up to pull Synbios out of a crisis. So seeing that he's actually pretty marginalised among his own people is interesting.

• Locked thread