Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I kinda regret playing that one straight now. I don't remember if there was any reward beyond not having to deal with 5 extra megaloaders, but I do remember it being a pain in the rear end to have a low movement healer keeping up with the high movement damage dealers that were eating all of those regret hits and staying stealthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Maybe to remind the players that for Galm's side Bulzome is an annoyance?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Maybe luck? Maybe evade friendship bonuses? :iiam:
Usually they don't crit that often.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

I got luck's ability to make you immune to status effects and succumb's ability to lower crits mixed up because 99% of the time the only thing you're worried about with a crit is the effect. :downs:

Also, as creepy as their relationship and the reveal in this chapter is, imagine how much worse it would be in the other timeline where we didn't spare Stella and he knew.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Glazius posted:

Why is anyone trusting these monks?

Because not only do they promise money, power, and steamtech, they can deliver. Just ask Gavin how that floating city of his is working out.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Sega Saturn was discontinued the year the game got its NA and EU releases and the next year the Dreamcast launched.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

I've had a weakness for Loader/Gunners since SF2, so let's have Harold putter around for at least one fight.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Always sad when the LP curse strikes. At least nothing actually caught fire?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

I'm pretty sure that blocking the exit is what causes the thieves to go off script, but it has been a while.

Welcome back!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Bloodly posted:

It is used, I've seen it personally, though untranslated. He walks into the side cave during battle.

Any idea how you did it?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

If we count Total Biscuit's TV card melting, that would make three computers this game has killed. I wander what the record is.

Also, welcome back!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

To get this LP finished I would *mail* you my disk 3.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

HydroSphere posted:

I'd say continue this thread, myself.

By the way, is anyone still interested in a write up on Shining the Holy Ark's plot?

Go for it, and someday somebody should do an LP so everybody can see how much of a jerk Galm is.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

HydroSphere posted:

words words words

This is good, I suggest reading the linked version for the real Goddamn Galm is an rear end in a top hat experience.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Two people casting spark, two people people casting AoE death, and that fountain that refills your MP on the second floor.

I think my worst overleving story was my very first time playing the game and I didn't realize that the map could cross over itself. I spent so much time lost in the sewers and farming strikepods that I promoted my characters before I got out.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Hoss Corncave posted:

I didn't even do that. Just full on attack with Arthur, Basso, Doyle, and Lisa and hope that I could kill it in two turns and then use Return and go back to Enrich to stay in the inn to heal when Melody, Akane, and Lisa were out of MP. I was pretty high after leaving the sewers though, although it was unintentional.

And there's nothing scarier in that game than the words "<enemy name> cast Soul Steal". Well, maybe "Air Polyp T summoned Air Polyp U" by which point you have to run away because at that point you're out of, well, everything.

"Scissor Crab blew bubbles." Or really anything that isn't Basso using a breath attack. And that game supported a lot more grinding than you needed to beat the game: Arthur and Melody get their last spell upgrades at 28 promoted.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

So, today I remembered that I own an artbook for this game and have Google Translate in my phone. I also discovered a table of explanations for the names. Some of probably make a lot more sense to native Japanese speakers, or at least not fed through a machine translation.

Dantares was partially named after Thales.
Eldar is just the elder sister.
Frank was named after this Frank
Obright was either named after a wrestler, or a wrestling move.
Horst is from hostility
Garosh isn't named after the shoes, really.
Kahn is another wrestler.

Anybody have character they want looked up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Nephrite posted:

I would absolutely love to know what "Death Helen" is supposed to be.

"... beautiful woman who caused the Trojan war."

• Locked thread