Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World

Ramrod XTreme

Thanks for LP'ing this!

I'd (attempted) to play Shining in the Darkness on my Sega Genesis ages ago, and got stuck pretty quickly. Several years later, I caught pneumonia over the summer in college, and with the handy advent of emulators and FAQs, finished it. I was very intrigued by Shining Force, and got that -

And wow. I'd never played a SRPG before. I loved it to pieces, even though I don't think I was particularly good at it. I then grabbed Shining Force 2, and...while it seemed better mechanically, the plot was much more meh.

However - a friend said Shining Force 3 was coming, with three different main characters! I was super excited.

Then the Saturn flopped, and the game didn't seem to make it to the states, and I gave up on ever playing it.

So I'm thrilled to see it now. Unfortunately, it seems to be in that awkward era where the 3D is clumsy compared to a beautiful 2D sprite animation - but I'm determined to enjoy it none-the-less.

And oh gods, the rail-switch level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Syntesis's name bothers me every time - so close, yet so far from Synthesis, which has to have been her intended name. Not far from "Synbios", either, which is also tricking my brain as I read.

Grantack must be short for Grand Tactician -- which strikes me as the "telling instead of showing" version of lazy storytelling, and reinforces the idea that he's the generic replacement for Benetram.

Thanks very much for LP'ing this, inthesto. I stumbled upon Shining Force late, but loved it to pieces - it was my first SRPG. I loved the gameplay of SF2, but the story seemed far more blah (not that 1's was that original, but I liked it).

I was really looking forward to SF3 and getting the Saturn to play it...and then yeah. SF3 never quite made it. You're now LPing something that I would dearly have loved to play back in the day. I confess I hate the blocky 3D, and pine for the 2D sprites of the previous games, which only makes me more happy you're playing so I don't have to.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

vibratingsheep posted:

Purely off of Gracia, I want it to be "I'm chargin' mah laser"

This one, please!

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Gotta get rid of the people who saw you be incompetent! Otherwise the Emperor will replace you with them.

Yay! Glad to see this is back!

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Whatever helps you finish the LP -- I'm one of those who didn't have a chance to play this myself, and I'm eager to see it finished.

• Locked thread