Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Ditch Horst. I never cared for Gladiators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Eh. I still say ditch Horst.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Meh. Frank can sit his fuzzy rear end down.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Bench Horst.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Stanfield posted:

Ninjas in Shining Force games are always so disappointing. Ruburan and Hanzou in the GBA remake are the good ones, to the point of being broken. Not Slade though, Slade sucks and is bad.

Well that's a fascinating opinion. I'm very curious, why does he "suck"? (Considering how he seems to actually be one of the best units...)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Add that to Gisarme's instant death ability, and Slade is definitely one of the best party members - even if you do have to carry him through his thief levels.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Maybe I'm just weird or lucky, but I never had a problem with keeping Slade alive past, basically, the hobgoblin cave. I've even used him as a bottleneck point/leash attractor without any issue. It's just getting that far that's frustrating - the first couple of battles while he catches up in level are a pain in the rear end.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Mehuyael posted:

Maybe the next battle is a huge roadblock that stops many players in their tracks? I know I never got past the chess battle.

It always amazes me how many people cite the chess battle as the big stopper - I always found it difficult but doable, and had a helluva time with the Kraken instead...

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

inthesto posted:

Please remember that the screenshot is from a romhack. The chess battle is hard, but the romhack makes it hard

Oh, is that one of the screenshots from your SF2 romhack LP? That one definitely is murder.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I'm gonna vote for Justin, Frank, and Ratchet.

This is mostly because I feel like they're neater than the others.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Raitzeno posted:

Shining Force 3, Disc 2: The Triumphant Return of Oh gently caress, It's Dantares

This gets my vote.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Spare her, but I'm a sucker for love stories.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

inthesto posted:

:Guess what it's time for! :toot:

Time to complain more about how Hazuki needs more clothing?

(Yeah, I know, time for people to start jumping in power ludicrously.)

Also, yes, everyone in this scenario is an idiot. This isn't an uncommon trait across all the Shining games, though.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I find it amusing that you constantly comment about Hazuki's need for pants, when Hedoba's outfit barely exists at all.

I kinda wanna play now, though. Just because holy cow that's a ridiculous amount of magic. That's one of the things I always loved about Shining Force over Fire Emblem - magic is way the hell more fun in Shining Force.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Having to type out all the text for Sword of Mana for my LP, I sympathize entirely. It sucks and takes forever (and is easily the most tedious part of the process.)

I'd totally read a SFCD LP, though. I loved that game as a kid - even if I didn't get my full in-town walking around.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

KataraniSword posted:

Lemon and Freyja are actually pretty drat good, and Gyan and Chaz are usable if not all that impressive. People just hear "prepromote" in terms of Shining Force and think about Higins, Sheena, Taya, Jaro and Skreech - the last two sufferering doubly from being prepromotes and gimped-rear end flying units. In a game where Peter exists, no less.

Sheena was still useful by virtue of being in the most broken class in the drat game, though.

The rest I never used.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

KataraniSword posted:

I never knew you got a second PHNX in Shining Force 2. :v: But yeah, Boost 2 grinding and competency in melee at least made Sheena usable. Most of the poverty prepromotes (Lemon excepted) and a few of the normal prepromotes (HI, SKREECH) have no such saving grace, though.

Okay, most broken non-unique class. Most of the prepremotes are just worthless, though (especially Skreech - oh god so terrible, and yet when I was a kid I had an obsession with flyers so used him anyway.)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

vibratingsheep posted:

You're blowing my mind with all of this "Centaurs aren't awesome" talk. Shining Force 3 is so confusing :psyduck:

Have they really ever been awesome? I've always found them to be, at best, steady mid-tier units, good for filling out them army but never the best at anything.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

vibratingsheep posted:

It's probably childhood nostalgia kicking in for me too with the centaurs, but I loved me my fliers, centaurs, and wolfmen. I have an unending love for high movement speeds.

Oh, I can and will use every flier in existence, along with archers, because I'm a sucker for those character types. (I also tend to load my armies out with female characters if I have them because, but whatever). Games like SF and FE don't really require optimized armies - you can almost always get by with whatever kind of craziness you want.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, counting May or Lyle isn't really the same; they're far more archers-with-centaur-movement than they are knights-with-archer-range. They're good not so much because centaurs themselves are good characters, but because your other options for archers in the first two Shining Force games are so terrible. Medion's archer-biased crew makes Hans and Diane look absolutely worthless, to say nothing of Elric/Janet/Rhode.

Oh god. SF2 is seriously one of my favorite games ever, and I've tried. I've tried SO HARD to make Elric, Janet, and Rhode usable. And they're SO BAD. So terribly bad that it makes me cry just to think about it. May is literally the only archer in that game worthwhile using (and at least she's actually a pretty good character.)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I finally used Rhode once. He was pretty okay! His attack was poo poo but he was actually pretty survivable, so I was able to use him in positions where I wouldn't expose other, squishier archers.

My big problem with Rhode is his movement. He gets slowed down by everything and he has poo poo move to start with, meaning it takes him forever to get in position. Archers and mages should never have to take hits if you're doing it right (particularly once you get up to the Robin Arrow), so bad attack plus terrible movement renders him totally useless for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Jesus christ that was awful writing.

At least the character designs overall are pretty good. I've always liked Shining Force's designs. They're relatively sensible and yet still have good looks and even a bit of flair to them.

Except David and Hedoba. What the hell. (I don't care they're from another culture, those outfits are still dumb.)

• Locked thread