Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Always wanted to see someone LP this awesome game. Played Scenario 1 and felt completely cheated by not getting Scenarios 2 and 3. Also, for a Sakuraba Motoi OST, this is one of his few great ones. It seems that he can do brilliant work with every game that isn't Star Ocean or Tales. Baten Kaitos for that matter was awesome despite its myriad other problems.

Also Save Garosh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Since we're almost at the promotion point, and we already have a prepromote in the form of Noon, I'm curious if the trick from SF1 still works. Specifically where you grinded your characters way past the promotion level, and then promoted them, giving them not only godly stats from all the grinding but also easy to gain levels from being put back at level 1 against enemies that you normally wouldn't face with a freshly promoted unit, essentially making you twice as strong as you were supposed to be.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I like how Edmund just has that rose hanging out his mouth even when he's in the middle of a battle. Sucks that if you actually go out of your way to approach him with Eldar and try to attack, the game doesn't let you engage him, it just registers like he's not there and then the next turn, skips to the cutscene where Garzel pushes him off.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Yeah, I didn't even know the Elbesem Orb was relevant past that Chapter 3 zombie battle until I found the internet. Bulzome priests aren't invincible without it, they're just a pain in the rear end.

gently caress off Ratchet, let's see Hagane.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So long Murasame. We hardly knew ye.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I always imagine there's a Basanda/Spiriel doujin out there. Jesus Christ that's a horrifying thought.

Also, whether you do the sidequest first or stay the course for the main game, goddamn the next few updates are going to be LONG.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Obright, Hagane, and Kahn.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Since this is essentially a patched JP version and not the official US version, are you going to try and use your characters to legit kill the Titan before unlocking the dam?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Those are some weird...things hanging from your shoulder Arrawnt. No wonder you couldn't move.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Raitzeno posted:

Shining Force 3, Disc 2: The Triumphant Return of Oh gently caress, It's Dantares
Hell yeah.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

That there is one dull, brown mountain.
Yeah, some of the levels later on feel just as half-assed, especially with that same foggy effect around. :effort:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Yikes, didn't think we'd be seeing Anafect this soon. And those portraits :effort:

Still, let her live.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Is it just me or does some of Scenario 2's dialogue seem a lot more bloated and clunky as opposed to Scenario 1?

Seriously.

quote:

We were battling the bandit leader Shiraf on top of the train. We emerged victorious, but before his death, he said some disturbing things.

Shiraf? The bandit chief from Dusty Village?

What was it that he said?

That Medion is a nuisance to the Empire, and that you'll never reach Barrand!
That's so disturbing, Zero. I'm guessing your feathers would be stained with shitted bricks if Shiraf had a top hat and monocle too. And then everyone else twaddles for a bit repeating each other. I remember some people used to say that Golden Sun just had a bad translation as opposed to excessive dialogue when it came out, but perhaps Camelot isn't quite the holy grail tainted by Nintendo I remember them to be.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
JRPG dialogue isn't going to win any awards, but it at least should feel streamlined enough without either repeating itself ad nauseum or only serving to prolong a rather boring scene. Synthesis and Uryudo constantly saying they can't stand war is unbelievably preachy even in a game like this, the constant repeating of how Medion is such a good prince from his advisors, or the awkward dialogue leading up to actually going to Anafect. It feels lifeless and by extension makes some of the characters feel extremely bland.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
It might be that it does feel like too much of a counterpart story, so without anything unique to distinguish Medion, it feels like they're going through the motions as opposed to anything unique about his story. Like how relatively boring the imperial scumbags in Scenario 2's opening felt compared to Scenario 1 despite being blatantly obvious to even a hothead like Spiriel that Arrawnt and Crewart were actively loving everyone over. Which the weak characters were a problem of Golden Sun, and if they were likeable, the weird dialogue trees probably could have been endearing on some level ala Lunar or Grandia. I get they're trying to do that with Syntesis and Uryudo, but they feel like varying extremes of token comic relief and boring moral support.

Although there's no excuse for the boring convo at the beginning of Scenario 3, and some of the really awkward dialogues at the end of the game.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
That's a whole lot of boxes. The constant switching from the actual battlefields to just that nondescript forest doesn't help either.

I'm curious if Zero is one of those characters that pays off if you put work into him like Eldar, or whether he just flat out sucks.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The only thing that came to mind when Goriate said he was looking for Gracia is that he's a pedo priest. Would give Sega US's execs a great excuse to tell fans why they didn't release this one.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Galm wanted the Bulzome priests to piss off but never helped Spiriel in Sc 1, or Hedoba here. The enemy of my enemy trope is always fun to work with, but you can tell he has no love for humanity either. I was surprised when he saved Lisa in StHA, which is pretty much the one completely good thing he did, yet considering who he was up against, seems like he has ulterior motives.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Ardeem posted:

He did the same thing to her that he did to Panzer's mom.
It's been a long time since I played it and I probably missed it since I was 11 at the time, so what did he do? If he really did what I think you mean, and he got her preggers...then WOW. Source, because I definitely missed that. Ditto on him being Panzer's old man.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Ardeem posted:

Source on him being Panzer's old man is talking to the people in the Far East Village and the family of historians in Enrich. Source on Lisa is the notes on her profile page in the SF3 artbook. They were translated when I asked somebody on Shining Force Central to scan her full body shot for a commission I never actually got made. I should be able to find that thread.

Damnit, I can't find the thread but her profile in Rune's STHA guide mentions it and several later threads in the STHA section of the SFC forums mention the plot point.
Yeah, just found it myself.

Mind=blown.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Palette swapped promotion character portraits for most of Sc 2. At least Julian is one of the few character portraits that takes a wildly different art direction.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Hazuki and Hedoba still have a phobia of passable clothes.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Bloodly posted:

Also every other character. Masqurin, for instance.

More interesting is Scen 2 and 3 scenarios have some data that's readable by 1-just a few character portraits for the load screen, though of course you can't load it. Some you'd expect, but Gracia's image is part of Scen1's data, despite him never appearing.
Wasn't Gracia in that locked warehouse in the railroad town in Scenario 1?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Scenario 2 is really starting to shine when it comes it its own story right now. Hope that it will last. Sure there's still some parallels to Scenario 1, but it's great to see some new locations that stand out on their own or new characters period.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Talk about a bummer of a section. From two long drawn out ship battles where Grantack turns into Navi 2.0, with a boring monocle villain like Crewart, to a delayed tie-in to Scenario 1 and losing two party members at the end of it with one god tier (Julian) and the other only decent (Zero) after a slew of boring archers, I'm starting to wonder if this game had some holes filled in by temps because the Saturn was on its last legs.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 11, 2014

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

inthesto posted:

And so you want to borrow the power of the Bulzome Sect... Alright, leave them to me! I am a bit weak, but I think I can defeat the Medion army! Fear the power of Dessheren!
This would be funny if the translation used her real JAPNEESU NAME, Death Helen.

Also I know WHY Medion is pretty much kowtowing to Domaric instead of showing a little more resistance if the Sc 1 ending doesn't give you a hint already, but drat if this section doesn't make it annoying as hell to see what could have been an interesting storyline about Gracia and the Innovators or trip to the imperial capital fighting off against the Bulzome Valkyrie being jerked around for some old hairless cripple's dick fear. From Sc 1's ending, you know that Medion eventually folds to Domaric, but they could have done it in a manner which didn't involve his individual storyline being turned around at the last minute.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 20, 2014

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Promotion glitches in Sc 3 aside, it's definitely better that you recruited Jade instead of Garosh. The story that plays out with recruiting Garosh afterwards is so anime spergy in a story about (in what Scenario 2's plot is supposed to be about anyway) war and evil gods, and Medion's already dull coppycat storyline doesn't need to be shat on anymore than it already is.

David and Robby.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The Dark Sword is a sexy piece of equipment. You can understand why there are so few fliers and they're purposely gimped from the beginning, since a sword using melee fighter with that range is devastating. Penn of course still has no excuse. Even if the fucker got naturally good somehow, he can't fly.

And Domaric is apparently on Cenegenics or something. Why couldn't Benetram, Grantack, and Palsis be this tough?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I was going to say that Cyos and Dakka act noble but they're probably just as corrupt fuckfaces as Conrad was, but wow, those portraits. These guys really are fuckfaces.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
It really is disappointing when Medion is saving your rear end all the time in Scenario 1 and you think he might turn on you at anytime since he is an imperial but he's not, making him come off at least, as a cool anti-hero deuteragonist type if only because he's fighting on the side of the bad guys. Still when his story is cookie cutter "But thou most!" bullshit, it's disappointing especially coming high off Synbios, who's your typical JRPG hero archetype with a by the numbers save the world plot and never got dull or cliched.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Jesus gently caress this is getting dark. Would be great to see Medion become the calculating anti-hero he was in Scenario 1, attempt assassination, and then Domaric decides for shits and giggles to force him to kill the traitorous Arrawnt as punishment since they are still brothers, and then when Synbios beats him to it, puts his friend's head on the chopping block to make it even worse. Just anything to make this storyline anything but one sided grimdark.

That swamp reminded me of the Prism Flowers in SF 2 though. That's got to count for something positive right!

:negative:

...right?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
What the hell is up with Grantack fellating Domaric on a regular basis anyway? I can sort of understand Campbell being a noble knight loyal to the emperor, but we know jack and all poo poo about Grantack besides that he's a strategist. Campbell could fill in for him like Dantares in Sc 1 after Benetram bailed in Chapter 4, and nobody would notice.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I remember being a depressed 8th grader 15 years ago that was so depressed that Sc2 and Sc3 would never make it here, and that I didn't know Japanese.

Goddamn that was a blessing in disguise.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Able to take down Bulzome priests, I don't think even the Rainbloods and his ninja/secret personal sex slave, because seriously Yasha would have probably killed Domaric if he didn't have something on him too, would be able to stop Medion's army at this point. Curious if Hell Dragon ever becomes availble.

Get rid of Robbie, take in Pappets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The other thing that sucks about this final battle is that Scenario 1's final battle had you releasing into a flood against your own kingdom on the sliver of a hope that you'll destroy an ancient monstrosity. Here it's just a big boring brown pile of poo poo on both ends with Garvin turning out to be the unholy love child of Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner, and what makes it worse is that inside the tank, the music is just a constant loop of a 5-second Scenario 3 tune that happens when you personally attack some of the endgame bosses.

• Locked thread