Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Glazius posted:

A little sad that buffs don't give you a ton of XP anymore. You are wasting your turn for them, after all.

Boost farming in Shining Force 2 was a ludicrous exploit. All you needed to hit level 99 on Sheela/Karna/Sarah was to stand in formation at the beginning of a map, cast Boost 2, wait until it fell off, cast Boost 2 again, and repeat until Egress... one of your Master Monks would gain 45-49 XP for hitting 9-10 characters with Boost 2, and the other MMNK would gain 10-15 for Boost 1.

By the way, top marks for doing this LP - I still have the discs for scenarios 2 and 3 sitting next to my Saturn unplayed, maybe I'll unpack them and try to play alongside...

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at Feb 25, 2014 around 17:07

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Down with dorf, up with wolf

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Nephrite posted:

Oh man, you're about to get a great weapon for Synbios too, if I remember right. It also has one of the best (BEST) voice-acted lines in this game.

Rise... Phoenix.

That's a spectacularly goodbad one, but the one that sticks out in my head is Can you withstand my ninja technique?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Hagane in for his ninja technique.

Ratchet out because it's not like anyone in the Force would miss him.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Glazius posted:

I like the wing weapons, for some reason. Just the idea of fliers straight-up ramming for damage.

The idea of whacking people with metal-tipped wings always comes back to Brian Blessed for me.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

In the interests of mobility and Ninja Technique, I vote Justin, Frank, and Hagane

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

What was Arrawnt's Japanese name, again? Was it Arrogant? Would anyone actually miss Prince Arrogant if he was gone?

Also, please put Mirage Dance Party gif somewhere convenient to find, I feel like sword raving right now

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

inthesto posted:

My grievances with scenario 2 extend to character mechanics too. Beyond the fact that your core hero-knight-mage-cleric-archer-warrior team is almost identical to their scenario 1 counterparts, you get too many characters of a single type and a number of hybrid characters who are just Not Good At Anything. Combined with the general increase in difficulty in map design, there's far too many points in the game where I think to myself "Man, I wish I could be using Synbios right now."

I remember myself quitting Scenario 2 on multiple occasions due to 1) low comprehension of formal Japanese at the time and 2) "seriously, screw this game" syndrome. So, bravo for sticking this one out.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Mordecai posted:

Very interesting update. Who's this guy again?

He's the Palsis equivalent for Medion, Grantack.

He may be the smartest guy in the scenario, pretty much by default.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Shining Force 3 Scenario 2: Medion. He's so hot right now.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Being so handsome brings with it an obligation to respect the ladies. Hotnesse Oblige, as it were. Save Stella.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Hurray, early game useful ninja! That hasn't happened since... ever!

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

EA Sports posted:

Yabause got alot of work put into it a year or two ago, I don't know if its as good as ssf though.

I used Yabause at the beginning of my LP, it had serious problems with any kind of transparency, so the screenshots weren't great.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Man, Scenario 2 sucks so far at explaining the motivations of all these generals that were kind of muddy and confused in Scenario 1.

I'm feeling a little sad right now.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Lotish posted:

e: Really if you aren't already you really should just keep calling all of Medion's people by their Synbios equivalents to emphasize how much he just a redux of episode 1.

Might as well just call them Dorf, Knight, Archer1 Archer2 Archer3, etc. at this point!

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Speaking of full piece art, I've spent 15 years thinking that Zero had chubby baby cheeks because of how his portrait makes his helmet look too big and his wing tip looks like a shoulder. It turns out that he's svelte and fit. I don't know what to think about this.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Shitenshi posted:

Hazuki and Hedoba still have a phobia of passable clothes.

At least in Hazuki's case, you can blame the Dead or Alive series pretty directly, since her costume is cribbed from Kasumi.

I got nothin' for Hedoba, though.

Bloodly posted:

Recall that he was one of the three we could rename at the beginning of Scenario 1. What does that tell you?

In "rename Julian" news, did anyone else ever go from playing Scenario 1 in English to Scenarios 2 and 3 in Japanese? Hilariously, the save games are compatible, and so you get to see Synbios, Medion, and Julian in glorious English sticking out like sore thumbs in all of the Japanese. I believe that scenario 3 draws the first characters from those given names to talk about SyMeJu a lot, making it even more obvious than usual about who the prophecy talks about - I'm not 100% sure about this one, though, I never made it that far.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

4 archers, 2 healers, you have to wonder if there was ever a plan to let one of the archers load herbs into the bow and shoot healing at people's faces.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

beep boop I am a benchwarmer

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Hoss Corncave posted:

I always loved the Rainbloods. They were just so strong and absolutely bitchslapped the Bulzome priestesses.

Don't forget the part where you can sand down the ridiculously pointy helmets and they'll be dead ringers for the Imperial Guard in Star Wars.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

inthesto posted:

Is there any point to keeping Donhort alive? Any time I get an AI controlled character in Shining Force, I just let them do whatever the gently caress as I keep playing my own game.

He's not even a good character in scenario 3.

You're blowing my mind with all of this "Centaurs aren't awesome" talk. Shining Force 3 is so confusing

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

It's probably childhood nostalgia kicking in for me too with the centaurs, but I loved me my fliers, centaurs, and wolfmen. I have an unending love for high movement speeds.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Kanos posted:

I guess it's somewhat understandable that the regular Imperial soldiers in your army go along with this stuff albeit uneasily, but the neutral people(Hedoba, David, Hazuki) and the actual Aspian guys(Zero, Jade) going along with the actual execution of children without going "welp i'm out" is, well...

Just think, at the same time Shining Force 3 was in development, Baldur's Gate was too! One of the games that pioneered party members with moral standards, who would say "welp, I'm out" if they disagreed strongly enough.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Welcome back!

Now, excuse me while I bury my copies of scenario 2 and scenario 3, because this dialogue will make my brain explode.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Freedom! Glorious, awful freedom!

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

inthesto posted:

Not sure who the guy on the top-right is supposed to be. The symbol on his tabard is common to Syntesis and Uryudo's uniforms too, so it's probably a marking of Destonia, which also means it's probably not Hera without her hat.

The note is that it's a discarded character.

quote:

Tristus looked quite a bit like Edmund early on. It's a good thing they were drawn differently in the end.

The line here is "Fans really liked Hedoba more than we expected, and hated David more than we expected. Was it because of their stats?"

Umm. Duh?

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at Dec 25, 2014 around 22:33

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Hoss Corncave posted:

Since we're in to Scenario 3 now, we need a new thread title. At the moment, something along the lines of "Land! Is it land? I think it's land! It must be land!" is my choice.

Purely off of Gracia, I want it to be "I'm chargin' mah laser"

• Locked thread