Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Losem
Jun 17, 2003

Practicing shooting fundamentals.

I'm glad someone is picking this up it's a great game, though the altered ending for the US market was just terrible. I never did get around to finishing scenario 3 due to issues with the translation.

From what I remember of scenario 2 I vote for Save Garosh I seem to remember him blowing away every other archer, or maybe I just got a lucky growth with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

^^ next mission is just a basic fight, it's the one after that is the switch point fight which is a pain

I'm surprised you didn't send anyone through the boxes, I usually split my team up that way. Irene is one of my favorite characters in the first scenario because when does a monk not rock in a shining force game? And Irene is especially useful since you don't get a true second healer, not that grace really needs help.

Losem fucked around with this message at Jun 12, 2013 around 15:15

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

I generally leave the characters with the weapons they start with and gave the handaxe/spear/dagger to those who could use them for the extra range even if they only did ~5 damage because they didn't have levels with the weapon, it would still be 5 more damage then not attacking.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

I'm kind of surprised how down you seem to be on Synbios. Everytime I've played this he is usually up there with Danters. It's kind of sad actually

edit: So I started playing through this again and I think my Danters is glitched. He just spent the entire Irene fight either countering or criticaling I'm not sure he did one regular attack.

Losem fucked around with this message at Jun 17, 2013 around 00:26

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

Maybe you just got a lame duck one on your first play through. The only thing Dantres had on Symbios on any of mine was his movement. If I recall right it is possible to get Dantres, Julian, Symbios, and Obright to the middle tracks. Honestly the switching point isn't even the hardest gimmick fight in this scenario imo but it stands out the most because it's the first and maybe the most annoying for completionist.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

Out of all my playthroughs of scenario 1 Elder has probably varied the most of any character. I've had times when she was about as good as Dantares and then a few where she was easily the worst character. From my experience get her going early and she's flying death but let her lag behind even just a little and she is just slightly above useless.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

Also don't wings increase counter as well? It really is worth it to keep Eldar with wings extra defense never hurts and the attack difference is so little you almost can see it, but then again I don't think I have ever leveled her in swords.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

I'm going to go the dick route and say Bench Grace. Didn't Penn also give attack up for his or was he luck up?

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

So quick question would anyone been interested in watching this streamed? I went out a bought a bunch of stuff with the intentions of streaming Dark Souls for my friends to laugh at me but it ended up being to easy so I didn't. I went through all that effort of learning and tweaking the settings so I might as well put it to some use. If there is any interest I wouldn't mind doing it, but I won't go past the LP.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

Okay I did a little testing and I'll run a bit tomorrow around 8 pm eastern. I've got a mic so I can interact with you guys and as soon as it matters I'll let you guys have say on the party. I'll link it when I start. Advice (heckling) is always welcomed. It will be a change for me, since I usually turtle up and wait for the enemies but in order to keep it entertaining for you guys I'll be more aggressive.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

http://www.twitch.tv/shazbahty okay going live with it right.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

I used Ratchet in my last playthrough and he was decent. He has the range of an archer but better defense (ignore Hayward). He's not really to much of a liability because of his movement because the maps tend to have friendly terrain in the later game, not as much hills and forest as you're used to in a shining force game. The extra range from the longbow also helps make up for it. I'd definitely take him over Justin.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

You kind of glossed over the thing with the cut flower you get at the very start of the game. Basically the only purpose it serves is to have it in Synbios inventory and he leaves it on his dads coffin.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

You must of gotten some really weird growth with Slade in your playthroughs. He has always been the best glass cannon for me and his attack has been on par or surprising Peter. That being said he tends to find his way to my bench somehow or another. I'm actually in the midst of another play through of 2 right now and am determined to use some characters I never used to much like Claude, Zync, and I tried Elcrik and Janet but ugh.

In my own line up for 2, I ALWAYS tossed May to the wayside. Peter and early promotion Kiwi just never left anything for her and she always fell behind.

Bench Danteres! Ratchet is still the second best archer you have.

vv I haven't messed with the editor, but does it factor weapon into its calculations? also how do you never take karna? I mean you can't go wrong with anyone at creeds as they typically are the best of whatever class but I'm usually desperate for a second healer by then.

Losem fucked around with this message at Mar 8, 2014 around 08:25

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

Yeah that's not right at level 17 promoted Slade is already at 80 with the great sword in the play through I'm doing right now. I honestly expect this to finish it around level 25 or so and he has plenty of room to grow.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

KataraniSword posted:

I think all of it revolves around, most importantly, keeping Slade alive. If he bites it early-on in a battle, or if he sits a single battle out, he won't keep competitive with experience, and if he doesn't keep competitive with experience, he'll fall behind on the levels he needs which makes it far harder for him to keep up. He's a very momentum-based character, unlike Peter and Lemon, who start out great and can easily catch up if they lag behind.

I actually dropped him for a few battles. Basically the battle from when you get Jaro to the Lemon fight and he caught right back up and even surpassed a few. Momentum for him is a lot easier for the player to control versus say Jaha. Slade has the agility to go first and the movement to keep up or jump in with the centaurs. Once promoted I never really had trouble with him lagging behind unlike before he was promoted like Luke for instance. At least you get a good birdman in 3 with Eldar. I'm not sure how intheso is doing with her, but all the times I played 3 I'd say 75% of the time she turned out Danteres level for me and the other 25% just serviceable. Honestly between Eldar and Irene Danteres didn't really stand out to much for me. Yeah he was a killing machine, but Irene with the white ring and Eldar with maxed wings were just as effective.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

I must of grinded a lot more then I thought because every time I got to this fight I always would charge head long into them with Synbios and Dantares and just wipe the floor with them. I can't remember the next fight so I'm not sure why the picture of the chess battle.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

Do you plan to show the true ending and the one that you get when they realized they weren't going to translate all scenarios?

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

Hoss Corncave posted:

Also, I know you haven't mentioned them yet, but hire Twiggy, because Kahn won't cut it as a dedicated healer.

I don't believe you can hire any of the mercenaries if you get all the characters. They are only there to fill out the roster if you miss a hidden/optional character like Noon, Ratchet, Frank ect.

I say Frank, Ratchet, and Hagane.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

If I remember right the basic (mage, priest, knight, ect) are pretty comparable.If by some chance the first archer, can't remember who it is, isn't then there are plenty of other archers in this scenario. I want to say you get more then in shining force 2.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

So I've been playing along with the LP and I just had Bernard counter another archer. I don't think in any of my shining force playthroughs I've seen that before. I'm not sure how your Bernard is turning out but mine is making Hayward look like Hans. He single handily took out half a map in the last chapter.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

inthesto posted:

It almost certainly has nothing to do with this game since ShF3 is confirmed to take place on a different continent several centuries later.

I don't think your time frame is right considering one of the characters you get in scenario 2.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

Glazius posted:

Aw yeah magic support. You are going to have the best artillery.

...kind of weird about David, though. A dude with no primary weapons.

The only thing close to a saving grace for Davis is he can get a mithril weapon before anyone which keeps his attack high enough for a chapter or two.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

AsInCoolAsA posted:

Honestly I like David. He has an attack support I believe and since he is always ranged he can stand at a corner and boost two characters, or boost Medion and Medion boosts him back. That and I think he has one of the highest base attacks of anyone in the force, but I could be making that up....

David isn't the worst character it just that he is outclassed in everything he does and the equipment that makes him useful is better served on others.

Though his movement and speed makes him nice for a few ruins and with his ability to use all of the range weapons you don't have to worry about killing the thieves.

Losem fucked around with this message at May 25, 2014 around 03:07

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

Not all of it since when you start a new chapter it automatically resurrects any dead character so he will have to die again.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

I actually went with a different tactic of running Hazuki and Medion to the middle and the bulzume knights went after them every time rather then a villager. Also I retreated Hera with the villagers. Not sure if you know or just glanced over it but if you let the thief die the old man gives you an extra power wine. The thief's dying quote is something about taking the old man hostage.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

Ardeem posted:

If David wasn't made out of glass, I'd like him a lot more, because always having weapon advatage is amaizing. But, if you're going to be using the covered spot behind one of your characters with a white ring to attack from, do you use it for the guy who's going to do okay damage unless he crits, or just murder the target with a caster?

Secondary weapons are great for when you just can't reach a target or need to pile damage onto a boss and I keep one of them on anybody who can use them... Maybe you should just buy David an arrow axe and use him as archer number 4.

The only problem with that is that David would still fall behind because of his weapon level lagging behind the rest of the party. In someone like say Campbell or Medion, if you switched to a knife/spear when they couldn't reach they might get rank 1 in them by the 5 chapter or so, toss in a third one and it would take a lot of grinding to keep them up.

Really the only "hybrid" characters that were worth it for me were Ratchet and his counterparts in the other scenarios. Ratchet really does shine later in the levels but his equal in scenario 2 starts off pretty strong in scenario 2 and with Rock's defense sticking him with an anchor as a substitute for an axe is viable.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

Maybe Donhort went just really stupid in my playthrough because I honestly don't think he attacked once or was attacked once minus the defense system fight.

I'm not sure intheso and I could of had two more different playthroughs it seems.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

Ardeem posted:

Did you just never let Medion near the fighting? I remember Donhort's AI being

Nope when I start playing SF I always made the mistake of hiding the hero till I found you at the end you couldn't do that. Medion was always at the front line usually surrounded by Hazuki and Campbell.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

See I let Syntesis get the key spring Hazuki and then gave her they key. Hazuki's speed and movement allowed her to move first and get someone every turn and with shurikens and a white ring equipped basically the guys with the halberds couldn't do anything to her. Also with your love of magic you don't seem to be using soul steal all that much. Syntesis was the all star of this fight at the beginning because of it for me. Gave her all the happy cookies I found plus the silver ring and with the guards 2 luck she was basically hitting 100% of the time. Then again I guess you couldn't build the trio if she was one shotting everything.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

My vote is for David and Waltz

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

I think the main reason they introduce it so late is in case you missed any of the secret characters. Like the first scenario had the mercenary recruitment for the last double map this one lets you use Pappet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Losem
Jun 17, 2003

I'm going to vote for Harold because I never really used him in my games.

• Locked thread