Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Crackbone posted:

Warhammer Quest is out, but it sounds a bit dodgy. Apparently you can buy gold through IAP, and there's also a room event where you lose half your gold.

I don't remember if they're staying true to the source material or if it's a blatant money grab.

Sounds pretty awesome to me. We can always use more warhammer board game ports.

I am kind of conflicted. Are all the board games seriously on Apple products? It seems like it's hard to find a good game on an android tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Sounds pretty awesome to me. We can always use more warhammer board game ports.

I am kind of conflicted. Are all the board games seriously on Apple products? It seems like it's hard to find a good game on an android tablet.

Yup. If you want board games it's Apple or bust. Long story short, it's far easier for developers to code games for apple hardware (since the specs are static) and there's just a way higher rate of return on apps.

Android has a few, but there's a huge number more on iOS.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

If you are at all a board gamer, then an iPad is an amazing purchase. There are board game ports for Android, and some very nice adaptations for iPhone and iPod, but neither comes close to the iPad for board gaming.

Seriously.

A few of us are even beta testing an app that lets you play Fantasy Flight's Living Card Games (these are kind of Collectable Card Games, but more rigidly organized and cost effective). This is not an actual game, but an app that lets you port those cards in, along with art, then set rules for each card, then play the game. So you can play so many card games using it. There is an app like this out already called CardWarden, which is amazing, this one lets you play online though, and enforces rules rather than requiring you to make the rules yourself, so is a clear step forward.

My point is, the iPad has become the platform the board gaming developers have taken to heart.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 30, 2013

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Is OCTGN attempting to cross into iPad?

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Funso Banjo posted:

If you are at all a board gamer, then an iPad is an amazing purchase. There are board game ports for Android, and some very nice adaptations for iPhone and iPod, but neither comes close to the iPad for board gaming.

Seriously.

A few of us are even beta testing an app that lets you play Fantasy Flight's Living Card Games (these are kind of Collectable Card Games, but more rigidly organized and cost effective). This is not an actual game, but an app that lets you port those cards in, along with art, then set rules for each card, then play the game. So you can play so many card games using it. There is an app like this out already called CardWarden, which is amazing, this one lets you play online though, and enforces rules rather than requiring you to make the rules yourself, so is a clear step forward.

My point is, the iPad has become the platform the board gaming developers have taken to heart.

Ugh, that's amazing. Guess I have to get an ipad.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Funso Banjo posted:

What the gently caress is this and how the gently caress do I get in the beta? There's not even a way to play Netrunner on OSX yet and holy poo poo if I could do it on iOS my life would grind to a halt. Now all I need is a decent Dominion port

Edit:

PJOmega posted:

Is OCTGN attempting to cross into iPad?

It's coded using a ton of (Microsoft proprietary) XNA stuff if I understand correctly, and will have to be basically rebuilt from the ground up to even work on a Mac, let alone an iPad. I highly, highly doubt they have their poo poo together enough to already have an iOS port in beta, from what I know about how they run things, but if I'm wrong it would be a nice surprise!

goferchan fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 30, 2013

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

I really don't like getting into platform debates and I tend to just tell people to try things and decide what they like, but if you want boardgames then you want an iPad. There's just no question that it's the best digital platform for board gaming right now, PC and consoles included.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Agricola watch 2013

It sounds like Playdek made a multiplayer change and had to resubmit to Apple, which happened late last week. We should have a more firm date very soon.

In the meantime, have a trailer! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsUNE3Vdh_w

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

I still have iOS 5.1 on my iPad 3. I've seen my wife upgrade to iOS 6 on her iPad and it looks like it slogged down her iPad big time. Is it worth upgrading? I kinda want to try out WHQ, but it's only available on iOS 6 or higher.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
May as well upgrade. I don't remember a damned bit of difference in moving over apart from the Messages app and Siri. Don't remember any slowing down and it certainly doesn't feel sluggish (iPad 3).

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

medchem posted:

I still have iOS 5.1 on my iPad 3. I've seen my wife upgrade to iOS 6 on her iPad and it looks like it slogged down her iPad big time. Is it worth upgrading? I kinda want to try out WHQ, but it's only available on iOS 6 or higher.

It's probably just in your head (or, does she not fully close out of programs/run a lot of stuff at once/never fully shut down and restart the device? Because that's gonna slog you down no matter what) -- as far as I know there's no consensus that iOS6 causes any sluggishness on devices that support it.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

goferchan posted:

It's probably just in your head (or, does she not fully close out of programs/run a lot of stuff at once/never fully shut down and restart the device? Because that's gonna slog you down no matter what) -- as far as I know there's no consensus that iOS6 causes any sluggishness on devices that support it.

The iPhone 4S must not support iOS6 then

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I'm seeing misinformation about iOS 6 slowing down devices countered with misinformation that you need to fully close apps or restart your device regularly. I'm on an ancient iPad 2 running the latest version of iOS, never noticed any sluggishness, never "fully close" apps and the last time I really restarted the device was when I let the battery run completely down a couple of months ago. Stop worrying so much, there's no need to nerd out over an iOS device.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Stop worrying so much, there's no need to nerd out over an iOS device.

Indeed, Apple worked very hard to make sure you wouldn't have to worry about fully quitting apps. The only reason you can do it is in case an app freezes up and you need to quit it so it reboots.

Here is a good blog post: http://speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Quickpull posted:

The iPhone 4S must not support iOS6 then

That's what I'm using and I seriously must be majorly missing something if that's the case -- I have nothing but anecdotal evidence, I haven't run tests or anything, but I've seriously experienced no extra sluggishness. Your mileage may vary, I guess

Meep
Oct 7, 2000
My iPhone 4 runs iOS 6 just fine, as did my gf's 3GS before she lost it. People who complain about the latest iOS versions making their hardware sluggish are either jailbroken and something there is causing it, or they are just imagining things and spreading fud. If things seem sluggish for some reason the first thing you should try doing is just rebooting your device, though even that should only be very rarely required.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I never reboot any iOS device, the only time that might have been needed is when they came with pitiful amounts of memory.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Alright, I'll make the plunge. Don't let me down, Apple!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Also on the iPhone4/ios6 'everything runs fine' train. I do force close apps regularly but that's because I use an app that bugs out over a specific input device if I don't, so while I'm force-closing it I usually just force-close anything I notice that I haven't used recently.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Also, Warhammer Quest is da bomb. The IAP gold stuff is silly but there's no need to buy it, and the app itself is slick as poo poo.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Crackbone posted:

Also, Warhammer Quest is da bomb. The IAP gold stuff is silly but there's no need to buy it, and the app itself is slick as poo poo.

Yeah still loving it here.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Crackbone posted:

Yeah, it loving rules and is destroying my sleep schedule. I wish the animations were a lot faster, though.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, it loving rules and is destroying my sleep schedule. I wish the animations were a lot faster, though.

You and do multiple movements at once. speeds things up a lot no need to wait for them to stop before you move the next character.
I also tend to regroup before exploring the next tile.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
So a quick question, and I feel a little stupid for asking this but here it goes. In Warhammer Quest how do you access your stash to equip items? I bought some restoratives in town and when I went into the next dungeon they aren't equipped on my heroes. Double tapping just brings up the character information screen and the only other clickable icon is the gear cog that brings up the game options.

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

Das_Ubermike posted:

So a quick question, and I feel a little stupid for asking this but here it goes. In Warhammer Quest how do you access your stash to equip items? I bought some restoratives in town and when I went into the next dungeon they aren't equipped on my heroes. Double tapping just brings up the character information screen and the only other clickable icon is the gear cog that brings up the game options.

Rotate your ipad.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

Running With Spoons posted:

Rotate your ipad.

iPhone, but yeah I figured it out after reading a review. I really like this game but I can't help but think that was a questionable design choice right there. Thanks for the answer.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Elder Sign: Omens got an update today. They added Hastur and there is a new campaign, "The Dark Pharaoh" featuring good old Nyarlathotep and three maps.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I was looking at that Elder Sign game and how newbie friendly is it? It looks interesting but do you have to really be into the Cthulhu mythos to get the most out of it?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Wamdoodle posted:

I was looking at that Elder Sign game and how newbie friendly is it? It looks interesting but do you have to really be into the Cthulhu mythos to get the most out of it?

Nah. It's like any FFG Cthulhu game — a thin veneer of Lovecraft references on top of some unrelated rules. In this case, it's Yahtzee. If anything, being heavily into the mythos just makes the game make even less sense.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Survive! is out and it looks incredibad.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Wow, that's just ugly as sin. I particularly like how they just squish the ipad screens to show the "iphone" version.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Wamdoodle posted:

It's reasonably simple to understand, but not much of a game. If you want a good solo/co-op board game adaptation, try Ghost Stories or Yggdrasil instead.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The End posted:

It's reasonably simple to understand, but not much of a game. If you want a good solo/co-op board game adaptation, try Ghost Stories or Yggdrasil instead.

Cool. Thanks for the input. I was looking at Ghost Stories and it looks pretty interesting too. Haven't checked out Yggdrasil yet. I'm a board game newbie. Anyone else feel free to chime in on recommendations on other solo/co-op games :)

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 3, 2013

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Played about an hour into the Warhammer game and must say it is more tolerable than expected on an iPhone. Now I need to know if savegames can be saved on the cloud because playing on both my phone and roomies iPad would be rockin'

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.
I actually like the Elder Sign app. Quicker and less fiddly than the actual board game. But yeah, it's pretty much Yahtzee with Cthulhu flavor text.

Bummer that Survive looks so janky! A decent version with good multiplayer would have been fun. Mother Lode is a good enough Survive-like in space.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

djfooboo posted:

Now I need to know if savegames can be saved on the cloud because playing on both my phone and roomies iPad would be rockin'

It does.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I had a question about Warhammer Quest: Is there a point where the elf can actually hit the broadside of a barn with his (her?) bow? I think when she was level 1, she managed to hit maybe 2 things with it, and the rest of the kills were from melee when enemies would pop into existence behind the front-line fighters. Now that she has a second ranged attack, her hit average is now 1 out of every 4 turns she'll hit something.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Randalor posted:

I had a question about Warhammer Quest: Is there a point where the elf can actually hit the broadside of a barn with his (her?) bow? I think when she was level 1, she managed to hit maybe 2 things with it, and the rest of the kills were from melee when enemies would pop into existence behind the front-line fighters. Now that she has a second ranged attack, her hit average is now 1 out of every 4 turns she'll hit something.

Yes, they get better. My elf is actually scoring the most kills now at lvl 5. He's got a 7-11 damage bow with 4 shots a turn and hits more often than my stupid dwarf does.

Ranzino Smith
Sep 27, 2011

Hark the Sound
Finally got Lost Cities and dominated the tutorial girl, lol. It seems a lot of fun.
Please play with me, before porktree and kelthorn beat me senseless. GC is _lolduke_
Or just laugh at me when I lead off with a 10, or drop a coin into a slot when I have no more cards of that color (done that twice now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Agricola tomorrow, y'all!

http://pockettactics.com/2013/06/11/agricola-is-out-tomorrow-night/

Playdek posted:

We have been approved! Agricola will be available worldwide on 6/13 for $6.99
Here’s the list of game features you can look forward to:
4 Game play modes: Family Game; Basic Game; Solo Play; Solo Series
1-5 players
Included AI opponents
Pass-and-play multiplayer (2-5 players)
Asynchronous or real-time online play (2-5 players)
Universal game application – buy once and play on all your devices
Game Center Achievements
Selectable Online game clocks
Rematch button for online and offline matches
“Next Game” button takes you to your next asynchronous online game
Matchmaking
Player Ratings
Multiple Player Profiles (for households)
Select your Family Token art for your profile
Game tutorials for interface, game play and strategy
Rule Book and Card Gallery to review game text and effects
Options for Music and SFX, game speed and animation speed, and confirmation pop-ups
Game overview, turn log and game event calendar to support asynchronous play
Retina support
iPhone / iPod 5 screen support
Localizations: English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Brazilian Portuguese

The I and K decks will be coming this Fall for an introductory price of $.99 each.

• Locked thread