Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Forgive my ignorance, but what is so special about that game? I know its one of the top rated board games, but I'm unclear why. Based on the amount of press its been getting, I imagine this release is a really big deal.

Anybody want to sell me on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Thanks. Do keep in mind that today is the 11th in the US and Europe so it'll be released on Thursday for us.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Tekopo posted:

Agricola is a really well designed worker placement game and is pretty much the quintessential worker placement game in that it has a shared number of actions that all the players have to choose. You have a set number of rounds and each round a new action space is revealed and the aim is to create the best farm. So far, so standard.

What makes it stand out is that, first of all, after certain rounds you have a harvest phase, in which you have to feed your family, so as your family grow, the more food you have to provide, but in the end stages of the game the harvest rounds come closer and closer together, making it a real challenge to feed your family while still improving your farm. As well as that, action spaces that give you resources get additional resources if they aren't picked in a round, so you have to weigh up getting resources vs waiting for them to build up versus hoping that someone else doesn't take them.

Finally, each player at the start of the game gets a hand of minor improvements and occupations, which he can play in order to get special bonuses and these cards are different for each player. In more serious games it is possible to do a mini-draft of these cards but usually in casual games you just get dealt them randomly. These cards can really change the game and help make each playthrough different from the previous one, something that otherwise can limit the replayability of worker placement game.

Tl;dr it's a really well-designed game with a lot of replayability.
Gonna quote myself for a rundown on Agricola.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Lorini posted:

Thanks. Do keep in mind that today is the 11th in the US and Europe so it'll be released on Thursday for us.

Games being released on "Thursday" typically come out at 11pm local time the night before. For West Coast Americans the App Store updates as soon as the easternmost time zone so they get new games at like 8 or 9 pm on Wednesday.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

UncleSmoothie posted:

Games being released on "Thursday" typically come out at 11pm local time the night before. For West Coast Americans the App Store updates as soon as the easternmost time zone so they get new games at like 8 or 9 pm on Wednesday.

I totally forgot about that, thanks for the clarification. I'm on the west coast so I'll get it 'early'.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Anyone know the price?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Necroneocon posted:

Anyone know the price?

$7, E deck only, with I and K coming later for $1 apiece.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
That price is fine, but it's a little disappointing we'll have to wait so long for the I and K decks.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I hope it gives you the ability to draft/ban cards.

durty
Jan 28, 2009
It is out on the New Zealand store. Have downloaded and seems quite awesome. Really nice and fast. Doesn't use gamecentre

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Out in the US:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/agricola/id561521557?mt=8

Ranzino Smith
Sep 27, 2011

Hark the Sound
downloading even though I have never played it before, you guys are very convincing!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Been waiting for this forever and now my IPad won't hook up to my wi-fi. :argh:

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
First impressions?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

It's really, really well done. The only gripe is that the role selection screen spans more than 1 "screen", so you have to scroll back and forth to see everything. Even that's not a big deal though.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crackbone posted:

It's really, really well done. The only gripe is that the role selection screen spans more than 1 "screen", so you have to scroll back and forth to see everything. Even that's not a big deal though.

I don't even think that gripe is valid because the physical version of the game takes up most of my 6-person dining room table for ANY number of players, or at least feels like it! Plus the role selection in the game is THREE BOARDS. Expecting that to be shrunk into on screen is asking a bit much.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The Orange Mage posted:

I don't even think that gripe is valid because the physical version of the game takes up most of my 6-person dining room table for ANY number of players, or at least feels like it! Plus the role selection in the game is THREE BOARDS. Expecting that to be shrunk into on screen is asking a bit much.

It's a valid gripe - anything that has to present its gamestate on multiple screens is a pain. But like I said, it's not a huge deal as it's handled pretty well - I particularly like that you can switch between the graphical representation or the actual text of the actions.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Crackbone posted:

I particularly like that you can switch between the graphical representation or the actual text of the actions.

You might have just sold me on Agricola. I really had no interest to pick it up any more than I had to play the physical game again, but I'm tempted to buy it just to support that option.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

PaybackJack posted:

You might have just sold me on Agricola. I really had no interest to pick it up any more than I had to play the physical game again, but I'm tempted to buy it just to support that option.

It's not like you can make it all text though. The main game board actions can be switched to text, but the rest of the game is still "gussied up".

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, I won the inaugural Racer Feud Goon Prix because everyone else crashed out. :toot: Was about twenty spaces from the finish, though.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The Orange Mage posted:

Oh, I won the inaugural Racer Feud Goon Prix because everyone else crashed out. :toot: Was about twenty spaces from the finish, though.

I might have given you a run if I had known how the pitstops work!

I'm up for another game, maybe 4 player this time though?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I really like Agricola on iOS. I have played the real version a few times, but not enough to master it. The AI in the game appears to be fairly competent on medium. I lost both games played so far by only a few points.

My complaint about the game is that it drains my battery very quickly. I went from 90% to 20% in around two hours playing the game with a couple small breaks on my iPhone 5. The phone was getting pretty toasty as well.

seventimessix
Jul 18, 2011
How comprehensive is the tutorial? Is it good enough to teach me the basics if I haven't played Agricola before?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

seventimessix posted:

How comprehensive is the tutorial? Is it good enough to teach me the basics if I haven't played Agricola before?

Yes. It's better than the included physical game rulebook.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
How is the pass and play for Agricola? Would it be practical for several people playing the game for the very first time?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ZerodotJander posted:

How is the pass and play for Agricola? Would it be practical for several people playing the game for the very first time?
The pass and play itself seems good enough. After all, it's worker placement — your turn is to drag a worker to the action it's doing, and then you pass to the next player, so there's not much waiting around.

Still, for first-time players, I'm not so sure. I suppose that, if everyone sat around for the (imo excellent) tutorial, then it's mainly a matter of getting your head around the game and figuring out what to do. For new players, though, it will lead to a fair amount of AP and slow down the whole thing. The same will happen with the physical board game, but at least there, you can look at the board, read some cards, and generally think ahead.

So… define “practical”.

Ranzino Smith
Sep 27, 2011

Hark the Sound
Well I joined the groupme and thought I was changing my avatar and changed the group's by accident. Can someone fix it? :)

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

gently caress I love this game. gently caress. play me guys. Agricola

gc: khailautomatic

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Orvin posted:

I really like Agricola on iOS. I have played the real version a few times, but not enough to master it. The AI in the game appears to be fairly competent on medium. I lost both games played so far by only a few points.

My complaint about the game is that it drains my battery very quickly. I went from 90% to 20% in around two hours playing the game with a couple small breaks on my iPhone 5. The phone was getting pretty toasty as well.

I have the same problem with Caylus. Botmatches drain the battery faster than literally any other game I've played, including fancy ultra-graphical stuff.

Brute-force AI and mobile devices don't mix well.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Just played a 4P Agricola game against the AI, Medium difficulty (Journeyman?), which I won easily by about 20 points. I took first player in the first turn and never, ever lost it again. I hope the highest difficulty is more of a challenge or otherwise I'll probably end up playing it online. It's worrying when none of the AI manages to get a fourth family member until the very last turn.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I stumbled through the Agricola tutorial and I would love for some goons to shame and humiate me when I get off work this evening. My gamecenter name is mattnotgeorge

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, I'd love to play some goons in Agricola as well, username is Tekopo.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I keep getting thrashed by the AI even on apprentice. Seriously struggling with Agricola. I can never get the resources I need and the other player just races ahead of me.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
Tekopo and goferchan, join the groupme. There are a bunch of people in there playing Agricola.

https://groupme.com/join_group/3767847/Sofhaw

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I need someone to do a Let's Play of Agricola showing all the different strategies. The tutorial was good, but almost made it seem like there is only one way to play.

Fortunately, games are quick and I could probably get the hang of it soon.

Also, is it appropriate to say that multiplayer Agricola is a lot like Ticket to Ride, in that you have to compete against people, but you barely interact?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There are plenty of strategies that you can do, which usually revolve around some way to get a food engine going. Mostly, though, it's important to get your third/fourth workers relatively quickly, since it becomes easier to do stuff with extra worker.

I think there's more interaction than in Ticket to Ride. While interaction in TTR is just blocking routes, in Agricola, since resources build up, it's important to judge the point in which you want to take the resources. Also, some of the better players I know will actively prevent other players from doing actions that they absolutely need, even if it doesn't really help them: it's really important to see what other people have before making people choices, something that sadly is not easy within the iOS implementation as opposed to the real life game (where you can just scan the table/ask players what kind of resources they have). Some examples of this are seeing if anybody has a free house (and thus if you can afford to family grow later in the round or if you need to do it now), or seeing if someone has enough resources to build a house/build fences, or starving someone of a particular resource they need (reed is usually pretty scarce and thus it's easy to starve people of it). At first it might appear not to have too much interaction but once you get experienced it's almost impossible to win without taking into consideration what other people are doing.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Played only briefly yesterday, but I'm already glad I bought it. Looks nice and deep, and I love the UI

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Yay won my first game. Still finding it tough to know what strategies to use but I'm really liking it. For a feeling I will be buying the real life version of it soon.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
Agricola- Is there any way to disable the replays at the beginning of each players turn? This feature is super annoying.

Edit - to clarify, when playing with multiple people same ipad

KarmaticStylee fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citizen Psmith
Jul 18, 2009

Village Idiot
You can't disable them, but you can double-tap to skip them.

(Double-tapping also skips the descent-from-the-sky animation after the title screen when starting the app, which took me embarrassingly long to realise.)

• Locked thread