Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Warsteiner posted:

I'm really curious to know why that is.

Infinity I hope you don't mind me chiming in:

The reason this is the case is because Vajrayana Buddhism practices esoteric ritual. That means that unless you have been initiated into the tradition and into that particular technique/meditation by a master you cannot be taught it. So her parents had been initiated into the practice so they could do it, but since she was not herparents were not allowed to reveal the secrets. Part of the reason for this is that it is believed that if one is exposed to secret practices before they are ready the practices will either be harmful or unhelpful. The system through which the initiate passes is meant to guide the initiate in a way that will lead to awakening.

EDIT: Because I am silly and presumed gender.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Plus_Infinity posted:

Yep, this is correct, except I'm a woman :)

My bad! Sorry about that, I'll edit that now.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Is Amida (or Amitabha) a Buddha or a Bodhisattva? I have seen reliable sources that refer to Amida as a Buddha and others that refer to Amida as a Bodhisattva. The Nembutsu refers to Amida as a Buddha but many in the Jodo Shinshu community refer to Amida as a Bodhisattva. Is there a debate about this within the community?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

See, and there's my confusion. It seems so clear to me that Amida is a Buddha, and I am familiar with Pure Land doctrine enough to know what the goal of Pure Land practice is, so I am confused as to why practicing members of Jodo Shinshu would refer to Amida as Amida Bodhisattva. Yes, yes, this could lead to the discussion about words being fluid and the emptiness of meaning but it seems to me that those who refer to Amida as Bodhisattva have a very good reason to do so and why that is is completely lost on me who is, though not a Buddhist, literate in Buddhism.

EDIT: But if this is an unfruitful line of dialogue I apologize for my ignorance.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Is anyone here familiar with Shingon Buddhism? I'm looking for some good recommendations as to books to learn more about this school. I am familiar with the idea that it is "esoteric" Buddhism from the lineage of the cosmic Buddha Mahavairocana, that it places heavy emphasis on mantra, that it is popular in Japan... and that's about it. I know that there are things I cannot know because I am not a disciple, but I'd like to learn more about the teachings available to the laity.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

So I was a Theology and Religious Studies major in college and one of the most useful books I used was a theological dictionary which explained the theological meanings behind latin or greek phrases and other frequently used terminology (though if you needed to look up a word like "grace" you were probably in over your head already.) I'm trying to make my way through the Mahavairocana Sutra (the Vairocanabhisambodhi Sutra) and was wondering if there is anything like a theological dictionary for Buddhist terminology. So far wikipedia is helpful, but just curious if such a print resource exists. My apologies for so many beginner questions, I'll try to be more active when I do some further study.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

If I'm understand what you're looking for, it's a bit pricey, but The Princeton Dictionary of Buddhism is really good, defining the terms, presenting them in different languages, and expounding on their various connotations and uses as well as where they are found in canon.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

He's the leader of the Gelugpa sect of Tibetan Buddhism, not all Buddhists (and not all Tibetan Buddhists). And you're reading a bit too strongly into it. Take it this way; there used to be a belief in Tibet that nothing could travel above the height of one of the holy mountains, I believe Kailash, because the winds would simply destroy it. This might be an interesting problem for a monk to meditate on from an airplane. The Dalai Lama wasn't saying "welp I'm a secular humanist".

I think it's also important to note that when the DL says that, he saying that in a very specific cultural context. Most scientists I know would say we have "conclusively determined" that divination isn't real, yet divination is an important aspect of several Tibetan Buddhist rituals. I think people tend to use that quotation from the Dalai Lama in a similar way to the way people use the quotation from Pope Francis, "Who am I to judge?" Yes, both are different ways of thinking about their respective problem and mark a change in attitude, but not nearly as drastically or ideologically as some people may want.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Frykte posted:

Is it possible to be enlightened and not know you're enlightened or is this contradictory? I've heard of 'accidental' spiritual awakenings, are these really possible?

A Buddhist priest was asked a similar question at a Q&A I was attending. (They were asked if a Buddha could be a Buddha without knowing it.) He responded that part of being enlightened is having omniscience so he thought that an enlightened person would know they're in that state. His way of describing omniscience was interesting, as it sounded similar to process theology's understanding of omniscience.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Ugh, I am not looking forward to the mess when the PRC "finds the Dalai Lama's reincarnation."

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Purple Prince posted:

Are there any convincing Buddhist responses to Nietzsche's claim that Buddhism is a life-denying religion?

Would you mind posting a summary of his argument?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Paramemetic, is this Sangha a part of your lineage?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

Edit: They also have a very strong Vietnamese component at that particular Sangha, which gives it a unique flavor.

Flavor in the expression of their practice and devotion, or more in the intellectual doctrinal way? I had ZERO idea that there were more than a few eccentric Vajrayana Vietnamese. Any idea on how they came to be associated with the Tibetan movement historically?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Hey all, I'm looking for a book(s) that outlines the Rinzai school; doctrine, practice, etc. Anybody have anything in mind? I have books on the Linji ju and Koan practice, but nothing that's more broad.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Frykte posted:

Angrier!! Worse than meditation on breath! I had violent imagery of myself throwing my nintendo ds at the wall.

Full disclosure; I'm not Buddhist, I'm Catholic, but this isn't from a religious point of view: when you try to do meditation, whether from a religious or secular perspective, if you have REALLY strong emotions interrupting the practice (as in they are so strong you have to stop and express them), so either crying, punching, etc. and they keep happening, this can be indicative of a psychological trauma that may need to be addressed medically.

Contextually, the Buddha was teaching people who were probably pretty healthy, and so this kind of thing may come up in the Suttas I'm not sure, but it would be comparatively rare because to be a monk you have to be astonishingly healthy in the Buddhist context.

I'm saying this because I want you to progress in your practice, and finding a mental health practitioner who's familiar with (actual) Buddhist practice may be able to help you through this and continue your practice.

Edit: I should be clear I say actual Buddhist practice 'cause I've seen psychologists who have a very strange view of what Buddhist practice is.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 11, 2016

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Paramemetic, please post about your Astrological studies! I would be very interested.

Also have you heard of this book: Being Human in a Buddhist World? I picked it up because I'm interested in indigenous forms of medicine, especially those which have survived into modernity, and obviously Buddhism. I'll be honest, it's really well researched and presented, it just makes reference to so many particulars in Tibetan history that I had to basically have my iPad next to me just to wiki everything. If you were interested in medicine you may find it an interesting read.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Dr.Caligari posted:

I debated on rather posting it on here or not, but figured why not..

My home temple (which I shamefully rarely get to visit) has been burnt down by arson. Everyone is in good spirits, as everyone was safe and most of the important items were saved. It still a blow however, and for the immediate future we will be a nomadic group of buddhist. If anyone would like to donate, or even just spread the word we would certainly appreciate it. You can make a donationhere

May I repost this in the Liturgical Christianity thread? I think I would not be alone in wanting to help you all recover from this terrible crime. Everyone deserves their sacred space.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Dr.Caligari posted:

Yes, of course, please do. A couple days after the fire there was an interfaith 'peace circle' in the parking lot and it got a nice write up by the Columbus Dispatch: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/02/04/interfaith-group-forms-peace-circle-to-support-temple-destroyed-by-arsonist.html

I haven't heard of any invaluable items being lost, I am aware that most,if not all of the statues/rupas were recovered, as well as some paper items which are being restored at OSU. I don't know the extent of their damage. The fire was a tragedy, but it is really something to see a community come together in support.

That's good to hear. I shared it in the other thread, I hope you all are able to fundraise swiftly.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

Specifically I am studying chung-tsi, or elemental astrology, rather than kar-tsi, or star-astrology. chung-tsi generally is what we think of with astrology in that it is used to make predictions and divinations as well as for planning for individuals, events, and so on. It is based on the Chinese elements, rather than the traditional Indian elements, and is more practical. Kar-tsi is used more along with the Kalachakra tantra for big global things, and I don't know anything about it really as I am not learning that nor am I a Kalachakra initiate.

I haven't read that book but I might pick it up!

Ahhhhh, this sounds so interesting! Would kar-tsi be what is used in aiding for the searches for and legitimizations of (if you have a better word for that please pass it along) important reincarnated lamas?

Dr.Caligari posted:

Thank you all for your support :glomp:

As I like to say, all God's critters got their place in the choir.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

It's the Liturgical Christianity thread, lol, so Baptists aren't even the original scope of the thread!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

I think there's crossover posters but a few guys followed over from Yehoshua Eben's thread on Southern baptist seminary.

I popped into the Liturgical thread today and was greeted with a great Gregorian Chant and it made me remember fondly my Papist roots.

Oh gotcha!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Hey, did you guys hear about the Sutra that denies the existence of Avalokitesvara? It's considered to be non-Kannonical.

:v:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

I think I already told you guys about the Buddhist coroner they fired, right?

He kept writing "birth" under "cause of death."

:v::hf::v:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Speaking of the Precious Guru here is a legit, trained by the masters and himself a venerable in the style, Buddhist Bluegrass musician and his song about Guru Rinpoche.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I'm not sure how great the translations are, but this website has a ton of Mahayana Sutras some with text-to-speech capabilities.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Reene posted:

Oh good, I guess Buddhists aren't exempt from the whole "mistake for being Muslim, then commit a hate crime" thing. :sigh:

There's a irony that he destroyed the Buddha statue because of hatred for Al Qaeda in the same manner Al Qaeda has destroyed Buddha statues for hatred of Buddhism.

E:fb

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

So, Buddhism thread: I'm staying at a Tibetan Buddhist monastery until November, AMA.

What kind of schedule do the monks keep? What kinds of daily prayers and, for want of a better term, liturgies do the monks participate in? Are you allowed to join in any activities? What's the diet like?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

wrathful practices and so on.

Thank you for your response! Monasticism is an interest of mine so I hope other folks ask questions, too.

If you don't mind, can you explain to me what wrathful practices actually are and when they showed up in Buddhist history?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Laocius posted:

I went to a Chinese Pure Land temple service Sunday and I fee like I had a workout at the gym. My legs are literally sore from bowing and my voice is hoarse from chanting.

Do they have a website? I'm interested in their history, lineage, etc.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Laocius posted:

Just search for Fo Guang Shan or the International Buddhist Progress Society. They're a Taiwanese Humanistic Buddhist organization. Wikipedia calls them a "new religious movement," but from what I've gathered thus far, their interpretation of Buddhism seems pretty orthodox, albeit very accommodating to modernization.

Oh I know those guys! Other than sore legs, how'd you like the service?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Link Broken

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 29, 2018

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

:golfclap:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Nessus posted:

I think you should read that poo poo although it might also be good to ask questions in informed communities. But if you find yourself thinking 'wow, I've figured out what Buddha REALLY meant, and it's actually that I'm Maitreya' maybe slow your roll.

Maybe he's an incarnation in the Karmic line of Budai.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

From a Buddhist perspective how does a person with a mental illness come to experience the true nature of mind? I’m assuming we can KNOW the true nature of mind in an academic/philosophical way, but how do we trust in the experience when we have an illness that directly interferes with the mind and clouds experience and perspective. For example, from my Catholic perspective, how does someone with a disorder that can manifest as hallucinations know that their experience of extraordinary grace (visions, locutions, etc.) are valid? In essence: from a Buddhist standpoint, when can we trust that our experience is valid and/or true despite our illness?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Thanks, Paramemetic! You have the blessed trait of being both informative and insightful. Zen posters, what would someone who wants to practice do if they are unable to meditate?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

Could you elaborate somewhat on this? What do you think of as meditation (the technique and goal) and what is inhibiting it (in either or both respects)?

I was thinking of, say, meditation where you "watch" the breath, and other such techniques taught in your standard meditation classes derived from Zen. By inhibiting, and I should have been specific, I mean mental disorders that make the act of following the technique of meditation untenable. The situation that immediately comes to mind are those who suffer from mania. Meditation can trigger mania or make a manic episode much worse. What does the person do in a Zen perspective if they cannot practice this kind of meditation? My only other knowledge of Zen practice is Koan practice, and I don't know if you can divorce meditation from koan training.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Thanks, guys! Lots of great information.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Bellum posted:

Can you elaborate on the interaction of bipolar and meditation?

I’ll let posters with education in the field talk about the mechanics, but I can describe my situation.

I have Bipolar 1 Mixed. I have very few instances of mania but before a recent treatment change had plenty of hypomania. Trying to meditate when you have hypo/mania wrecks your system and cognition, for want of a better word. It intensifies every symptom you are experiencing: inability to concentrate, racing thoughts, other people have different symptoms. Sometimes trying to meditate can trigger an episode too, though for me I’ve gotten better at knowing when I’m safe to practice. To give an example, it’s been very difficult to maintain a practice in the classical sense of the Jesus Prayer, which does affect one the same as forms of Buddhist meditation would, but fortunately one can practice it without utilizing the breath, so to speak, so it worked out for me in my spiritual journey. I have no idea why my brain loses it when I try to meditate, I just know that there are times I can and times I probably shouldn’t try to “meditate.” I can answer specific questions, too, post or PM me.

^Paramemetic, as always, gives a much better post than I could. Hopefully mine is informative from a different perspective.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 10, 2019

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hello, I'm a person with some heavy duty mental illness issues that is also a Buddhist. I can probably shed some light on this one. For me there's a lot of "this feeling is my brain being stupid." It also helps to know why my brain is being stupid. I've been reading heavily about mental illness, seeing a therapist off and on, and just in general learning to sort my thoughts from things that are a valid reaction to something from my brain being a dummy. A lot of mental illness comes from actual, physical mechanical and/or chemical things going on in the brain. Other parts of it come down to maladaptive learning. I had a horrible childhood which led to learning a lot of destructive defense mechanisms. This comes down to the right view stuff; it's extremely important to see things as they are. I have issues; why do I have issues? Where do they come from and how do they affect my behavior? There are a lot of things, at least in my case, that come down to stupid lizard brain stuff. Your lizard brain is great at surviving but is loving stupid at basically everything else. This is why there is also that focus on right action. You can't help but feel anger but what you can do is refuse to act on it. My condition led to an unpredictable temper that could end up on a hairline trigger. Buddhism was a massive help in getting that under control because instead of acting impulsively on raw emotion I learned to step back and say "is that the right thing to do here? You're angry but why are you angry? Is acting out of anger truly the best option here?" The mind is a very complex thing that can't be entirely divorced from the hardware that it lives in. Understanding the hardware helped understanding such things massively. Same with how the conditions develop and what the end results are.

Hallucination generally has some kind of actual mechanical cause. I've never dealt with that but I've read about things like a schizophrenic who had auditory hallucinations getting a dog and watching the dog when he heard something. If the dog didn't react to the noise he was hearing at all then it was highly likely a hallucination. That's another "your brain is being dumb" case. His hardware makes him hear stuff that isn't there. That's the truth of the situation; his brain doesn't function quite right. He can't control it obviously but he can do something like the dog thing so he can sort out what's a real noise and what isn't. Right view is "the reality of the situation is that I have this condition and it causes *thing.*" Once you understand that then you can respond to the thing that it causes. The true nature of the mind is that physical hardware affects how it behaves. This is why there can be an importance placed on a certain level of detachment being possible; instead of immediately acting when you feel a certain way you ask why you're feeling that way. In the case of mental illness that's often just a case of faulty hardware being faulty. Then you learn to work around it.

Nobody is entirely unable to meditate. That being said Zen heavily focuses on experience being a good teacher. This is why things like Zen calligraphy exist or why Zen practitioners will study something like Kyudo. You're supposed to focus on emptying yourself, discarding your preconceptions, and focus exclusively on getting better at that thing. Programmers who talk about achieving the elusive state of "flow" are achieving that mental state. It's actually a very meditative mental state in that you've basically lost yourself entirely in what you're doing. There comes a certain point where you can kill your ego entirely and focus on the task at hand. This is the "empty self" that gets talked about. The thing you're doing and the mechanical skill you are learning both don't give a poo poo about you or what you believed coming in to things. The goal is not mastery of the skill; the goal is to see the skill and whatever the results are with total purity. The goal is to learn to give yourself entirely to what you're doing in that moment. If you can do that with one action then you can do it with any action.

I'm largely a non-denominational, primarily solitary Buddhist with some Zen leanings, for what that's worth.

Thank you for your perspective! Perhaps I lacked nuance when I enquired about Zen and meditation. From what I have observed, many Zen centers focus mainly on sitting, with other activities (like the ones you mentioned) being secondary to the primary practice. It seemed that would make participation for those suffering from certain mental illnesses very difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Any suggestions on good texts for Mahayana philosophy? I’m especially looking for books that explain Yogacara and Madhyamaka for people without much exposure to them and put them in context.