Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm glad you never need to recompose in post but I am so bad at taking pictures I need every pixel I can get!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Dunno why people give canon poo poo for sensor noise, stepping up to iso 200 only adds the tiniest hint of noise :grin:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I hope your cat's name is Seurat.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
What’s your pointillism?

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

BetterLekNextTime posted:

It's totally up to you based on the features you need, but I don't think that there's anything that would necessarily scare me off of the t8i. It's actually got a newer processor than the 80D, and one review I just read thought it might actually do a little better in low light than the 90D due to the pixel size (90D has a decent jump in resolution but that means it's pixels are smaller). They all have 45 cross-type AF. I think they'll all be OK at 3200 ISO although maybe check dpreview or somewhere if you want to see how they look.

That's good to know. I can't find the t8i on dpreview but looking at the t7i I'm really impressed with the the noise tests compared to the 80 and 90D. Now to find a store that's open and will let me get my hands on them...

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Traditionally that jump to the XXD line has been more about ergonomics, controls, battery, etc. Not sure if that's still true or not but that's what I'd be focusing on if you get to try one out.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

How is the EOS RP working out? That camera seems like a budget workhorse compared to the tXi line and maybe even the XXD line.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

yoohoo posted:

That's good to know. I can't find the t8i on dpreview but looking at the t7i I'm really impressed with the the noise tests compared to the 80 and 90D. Now to find a store that's open and will let me get my hands on them...

The Digital Picture has a noise comparison tool which includes the T8i. Not sure if it's using RAW or JPG, but it at least appears to be like-for-like.

Seconding what BetterLek said. Sensors are often similar or identical between the ?0d and T?i lines. The ?0d will just get you more FPS, better viewfinder, etc. Just be aware that you can probably find a 80D for the same price or cheaper than a T8i at this point.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Infinite Karma posted:

How is the EOS RP working out? That camera seems like a budget workhorse compared to the tXi line and maybe even the XXD line.
I like mine, but Im pretty consumer rather than prosumer.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The Digital Picture has a noise comparison tool which includes the T8i. Not sure if it's using RAW or JPG, but it at least appears to be like-for-like.

Seconding what BetterLek said. Sensors are often similar or identical between the ?0d and T?i lines. The ?0d will just get you more FPS, better viewfinder, etc. Just be aware that you can probably find a 80D for the same price or cheaper than a T8i at this point.

Thanks for the link. I didn't realize the sensors were the same between the two lines, I always thought part of the jump was also a better, however slight, sensor. Walking around with the t2i the past few days has reminded me of how uncomfortable it is to hold for the long term...

I've been keeping my eye on adorama/keh for used and the Canon refurb site. Do they still offer the customer loyalty program? Appreciate all the help, it's amazing what you can forget when you don't touch a camera for two years.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Twas too good to be true. Canon released a statement basically saying their cameras will overheat if you use 4k or 8k video

And if you exceed these record times and trip the safety shutoff expect to wait.

At least it means when the mkiis come out, these will be cheap on eBay.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Not caring about video comes through again!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

President Beep posted:

Not caring about video comes through again!
Pretty much. The shortest time there is 15 minutes of 4k 120, not going to every need that long of slow motion. Most are 20-30 minutes. That's plenty.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Canon kinda did it to themselves by hyping up the video features so much.

Maybe photo cameras should focus on photo features?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

xzzy posted:

Canon kinda did it to themselves by hyping up the video features so much.
Never trust a marketing department to market a product accurately.

xzzy posted:

Maybe photo cameras should focus on photo features?
It is a photo camera that focuses on photo features. That's why it overheats. If it was made as a video or hybrid they would have tried to sort out the overheating.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

um excuse me posted:

Twas too good to be true. Canon released a statement basically saying their cameras will overheat if you use 4k or 8k video

And if you exceed these record times and trip the safety shutoff expect to wait.

Only the 8k times and the 120fps time seem bad. The rest are pretty close to that 29:99 recording limit they put on all the stills cameras

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Legit can't wait for the R5 to get into the hands of the general population so we can start to get real information on the photography side. Wanna know how that sensor handles low light, if there really is an extra stop of dynamic range, and how much of an improvement the new autofocus is.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Lol at the idea that anyone even needs to record at 8K that doesn't work for a company that can afford a proper 8K video camera.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

Legit can't wait for the R5 to get into the hands of the general population so we can start to get real information on the photography side. Wanna know how that sensor handles low light, if there really is an extra stop of dynamic range, and how much of an improvement the new autofocus is.

The IBIS sounds really good too. Eight stops or something.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

brand engager posted:

Only the 8k times and the 120fps time seem bad. The rest are pretty close to that 29:99 recording limit they put on all the stills cameras

Yea but do you have a cool down period after on all still cameras? What about the miniscule follow up recording time after cool down? I personally don't care since I rarely use video. But seemingly a lot of people had their hearts set on these cameras because of the video stats. And for the money these limitations seem a little disappointing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well the A7SIII is supposed to have some active cooling features so maybe all the video geeks will go buy that camera and everyone will continue to laugh about Canon crippling everything they make.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
After the cost of an an R5 I could probably only afford <20 minutes worth of CF express cards at their 8k raw bitrates anyways :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Chris and Jordan have the R6 review out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AXpz50sc18

Looks like exactly what I need (though at least a grand too expensive for my taste), though I'd want to pixel peep in the written review.

The video limitations are a bit disappointing but I don't think it's a serious issue for the intended market. Who'd shoot more than 15 minutes of 4k slomo b-roll in one go? Or a 20 minute 8K RAW take? Maybe if you're shooting an interview in which case a 29 minute limit would cut in anyway.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

um excuse me posted:

This is so so dumb.

Also good job Canon for having EF, EF-S, EF-M and now RF lens. While EF-S cannot be used on EF camera, EF-M lenses cannot be used on EF, EF-S or RF camera. And RF lenses can not be used on anything other than RF mount.

The worst thing is that they seem to have given up on the EF mount and haven't released anything since 2018 while their EF camera lineup is still somewhat competitive against the RF due to how terrible the RF cameras are.

Only now they released the R5 that's somewhat competitive against the 5D4 but still somewhat terrible on the market.

Mayyyybe they can put the R5 sensor and IBIS into the 5D5 with better overall heat distribution for longer recording but then people will buy more EF camera/lenses and eat into the RF lineup profit. Same goes with making more EF lenses similar to the new RF lineup with the back flange distance considered.

Guess they will eventually go full RF line and kill off EF bodies. Herding people towards the RF cash cow while making other options more user hostile.

It's almost as if they've forgotten the great thing about canon was you could've picked up any modern EF lens and use on an old EF camera from 1987 without a hitch. Splitting the lens bodies lineup pretty much destroy that versatility and reason to go with canon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DSLR's are a dying breed, it's appropriate for Canon to ditch it now. At least EF works perfectly fine on an RF body with the adapter.

I'm sure some people care about EF-S and EF-M but I ain't one of them.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
EF is now on managed decline (EF-S was always an unloved child. They'll keep making them as long as there are enough sales to justify it, but new models will be the exception. The same goes for the bodies. I reckon there will be a 5DIV (which will be as close to the R5 as possible but minimal mods to get in the mirror box and AF systems.) as that will then buy them 4 years of having something to sell to the DSLR refuseniks.

The only question is how they manage RF vs EF-M. A lot of people think that there will be a hard split; RF for full frame and EF-M for crop. I don't buy that myself, it hurts them too much. Canon, Nikon and Sony would presumably love to just sell FF but the market says otherwise. At the same time Canon aren't going to start duplicating their full lenses offering across two lens mounts. Not offering a crop body that can make use of RF lenses would cut them off some a non-trivial market segment.

So there will be RF APS-C bodies. EF-M will continue as a secondary system targeting low-to-medium budgets in more compact offerings as long as Canon can do so profitably.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
It's pretty hard to get pissed off at Canon seemingly retiring the EF mount. It's 33 years old at this point it looks like you'll be able to mount them to cameras for another 20+ years. Between the official Canon lenses and the huge number of third party lenses, you can't really say there's any glaring holes in the lens lineup.

EF-M seems like the odd camera out, since you can't mount EF-M glass to RF bodies. I wonder if that's a physical impossibility or something they could develop and adapter for?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I wonder when some tech nerds will get a hold, i'd love to know a few things that wont be in your standard portrait/video/landscape reviews.

Whats the focus bracketting like, how fast? Could I mount my EF 100mm L macro and do handheld stacks of stationary insects at like f/2.8 1/2000 or at f/11 flash lit with a fast recycling flash, could I do it with the 8K video mode and manual focus?
Is the 800/600mm f/11 actually usable in real world outdoor conditions on an R5/6? usable ISOs at 1/600-1000 or less with IS+IBIS? I'm probably most curious about these lenses..
IBIS + IS + eye AF + tracking how is this with something like a EF 100-400 L on the adapter does it work?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

brand engager posted:

The rest are pretty close to that 29:99 recording limit they put on all the stills cameras

Why do they do this, anyway? Is there a technical reason or is it just for market segmentation?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Used to be it was to avoid import tariffs on certain types of video recorders of certain capabilities but I think that’s been done away with.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The EU classifies any device capable of recording 30 minutes or more of continuous video as a video camera and those have a different import tariff to stills cameras. These days, with high power chips, massively energy dense batteries, and compact form factors, heat management is more of an issue than a tax markup. There's a reason why actual pro-grade video cameras have active cooling systems in them and don't even try being weather sealed.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Helen Highwater posted:

The EU classifies any device capable of recording 30 minutes or more of continuous video as a video camera and those have a different import tariff to stills cameras. These days, with high power chips, massively energy dense batteries, and compact form factors, heat management is more of an issue than a tax markup. There's a reason why actual pro-grade video cameras have active cooling systems in them and don't even try being weather sealed.

Do external recorders take care of the heat? I had my A7III plugged into a CamLink4K and recording to my computer, and, uh, accidentally left it on for 8 hours. The recording was fine.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

dakana posted:

Do external recorders take care of the heat? I had my A7III plugged into a CamLink4K and recording to my computer, and, uh, accidentally left it on for 8 hours. The recording was fine.

I've been using the Canon Webcam app and after an hour or so I can really feel the heat build up when I touch the back screen next to the sensor.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Canon Rumors just announced a [CR2] rumor that the 5D line of DSLRs is dead after the mkIV. Sounds like the R series will be the new norm.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

um excuse me posted:

Canon Rumors just announced a [CR2] rumor that the 5D line of DSLRs is dead after the mkIV. Sounds like the R series will be the new norm.

Makes sense.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I wonder what that means for lens mounts?
If Canon keep making APS-C DSLRs, then I guess the EF-S mount continues to be a thing. Do they keep the EF mount around for 1Dx and deep-pocketed APS-C shooters? Or does that get taken behind the shed and all FF glass going forward is RF mount?

Maybe there's going to be an RF-S mount for APS-C mirrorless too and all DSLR lines are going to get phased out over the next 8-10 years in favour of mirrorless bodies. That would make sense if the RF to RF-S relationship is the same as for EF to EF-S, it means there's still an upgrade path for entry-level to prosumer to pro level lines without trading everything in and starting again.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
There definitely is a market for people who want crop bodies for the extra reach, but there doesn't need to be an upgrade path from apsc to fullframe when fullframe is already prosumer prices.

Entry level buyers tend to not but lenses after buying a kit. Most fullframe lenses cost more than the whole kit new and canon/Nikon make virtually no apsc prime lenses.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

dakana posted:

Yeah, it's more or less the internal recording process that generates most of the heat. Which is why Atomos recorders are paired fairly often with the A7 cameras as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apparently a M50 mk2 is happening this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if the currently available DSLR's is the the last or second to last generation to be released.

EF-M is a dead end mount but it technically fills the EF-S role for mirrorless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Constellation I posted:

Yeah, it's more or less the internal recording process that generates most of the heat. Which is why Atomos recorders are paired fairly often with the A7 cameras as well.

Do those external recorders let you get past the 30 minute time limit?