Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

The gold standard for wildlife and sports shooting is the 20MP FF 1DX series.

Yes because they have 600mm f/4 lenses with 1.4x converters as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

xzzy posted:

Well then maybe my expectations are way off because this is an uncropped photo from an APS-C camera at 600mm and I still felt like I was too close: https://i.imgur.com/Ur4zaXy.jpg (please don't point out how I missed focus, it wounds me to this day)

We were maybe 100 meters away? How close are you getting to big stuff?

I get that not every wildlife photo has to fill the frame so you can see the pores on their nose (the best shots have some landscape in them too) but I still felt pretty constrained.
For one thing, here in Blightly we don't have anything that will eat us...

To be honest, I tend to hold the view that 'focal length is no substitute for getting close'. I take stuff at longer distances but often tend to view it as record shots. It's the odd occasion when circumstance offers a closer view that I feel all my best work. I had the chance to photograph a pack of wolves in Yellowstone back in January. We were slightly over the regulation distance; I'd have happily been closer rules aside.

For bears, high up my list is Lake Clark in Alaska, where you can go stand on the beach and the bears wonder around you as they're more interested in the salmon run. I've even heard stories of

https://dannygreenphotography.com/gallery/wild-alaska/

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

jarlywarly posted:

The gold standard for wildlife and sports shooting is the 20MP FF 1DX series.

Yes because they have 600mm f/4 lenses with 1.4x converters as well

Very often they do, its true. I guess I'm just trying to say that higher MP crop cameras exist as a cost effective way to get the features of a wildlife/action camera body as opposed to having better image quality. Full frame is going to give better IQ in most cases even with less reach and resolution. Its just more expensive and, as you point out, often needs those blisteringly expensive superteles. That said, those Tammy/Siggy 150-600s are pretty well regarded and cost like a tenth of a big white, so the hobby is getting somewhat more affordable. I see people out with those all the time and its awesome how many people are getting into it because of those options.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Honestly that is why I’m jumping ship to a D810 and Nikon 200-500/5.6. 15MP in crop mode and a sharp 500mm for $1000 usd each used.

If I was down with paying more I think the R6 and an adapted 100-400 + 1.4TC or Sigma 500/4 or 150-600 would be great. Just couldn’t crop as much. Also wouldn’t spring for the RF 100-500 when they’re $2,700 and the EF zoom + TC combo is cheaper and roughly equivalent in FL, aperture, and performance.

I think the smaller files and just, like, very pleasing look of the images I’ve seen from the R6/1DXiii are something I’d gladly take in place of the D810 if I was doing mostly nature & wildlife.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How good are things like this if you want to try out macro shots?

https://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Extension-Lenses-Extreme-Close-up/dp/B00CYLLF16

Seems weird but I don't know anything about it.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How good are things like this if you want to try out macro shots?

https://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Extension-Lenses-Extreme-Close-up/dp/B00CYLLF16

Seems weird but I don't know anything about it.

Those are probably the cheapest ways to play around with macro. Slap some of those on a fast lens (the nifty-fifty is a great combo with these) and go for it. It's going to be best for relatively static subjects where you'll be manually focusing in live view to get critical focus with your razor-thin DoF.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Is Canon actually shipping any R5s? I’m looking to get one, but the last time I looked into it last fall, there had only been two shipments (the original in Summer, and another in like September). I’m signed up for stock notifications from B&H, but I’m never getting notified. Are they shipping slowly, or not at all?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Graniteman posted:

Is Canon actually shipping any R5s? I’m looking to get one, but the last time I looked into it last fall, there had only been two shipments (the original in Summer, and another in like September). I’m signed up for stock notifications from B&H, but I’m never getting notified. Are they shipping slowly, or not at all?

It's been high demand low supply since launch, covid etc.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

jarlywarly posted:

It's been high demand low supply since launch, covid etc.

A lot of products have been like that, with limited stock and high demand, but a slow trickle of inventory. But from what I’ve read, there were literally zero additional R5 shipments between June and late October. I’m wondering if there have been any shipments since late October.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I know CanonPriceWatch or CanonRumors have been announcing periodic in-stock alerts since the new year, but they must get snapped up really quickly.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A bunch of UK shops all have R5s in stock. Either Canon loves the UK more or post-Brexit we can't afford them...

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
They've been restocked a couple of times since launch here in Korea, but they always sell out within a few hours of the restock notice going up

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I know CanonPriceWatch or CanonRumors have been announcing periodic in-stock alerts since the new year, but they must get snapped up really quickly.

Nice, had never heard of cpricewatch, checked them, and the R5 was in stock at Adorama, so I bought one. Thanks!

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
hey everyone im so confused.

I bought what was advertised as genuine LPE6NH battery here

I left it on the LC-E6E charger which I got with my 5D mark iii

It never got to a solid level of LED blinking indicating 100%, even after 24 hours. On putting it in the camera after said 24 hours, the 5D battery light blinks on 1 bar.

Is this a dud battery?
Should it be able to charge on the 'old' charger (runs of AC rather than the new one which is USB I think?)?

edit; yooo nevermind, another 12 hour charge and its working??

maxe fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 16, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

For whatever reason Canon glass is super cheap right now. I just bought a used EF 300mm f/4 L IS USM for 495€ including shipping. It sells for 1500€ new and optically it is still a very good lens. :shrug: Maybe people just use zooms more nowdays?

I once owned a 300mm f/2.8 lens but it was so stupid heavy it totally was not worth it to haul around. The 300/4 even focues down to 1,5m for 1:4 magnification, which is surprisingly close.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ihmemies posted:

For whatever reason Canon glass is super cheap right now. I just bought a used EF 300mm f/4 L IS USM for 495€ including shipping. It sells for 1500€ new and optically it is still a very good lens. :shrug: Maybe people just use zooms more nowdays?

Wouldn't be surprised if people were upgrading to RF.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Or people dumping gear because the pandemic is absolutely murdering the photography industry right now.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

gschmidl posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if people were upgrading to RF.

There are no fast RF tele primes yet though.

Your choices are 85mm at f/2 or 600/800 at f/11

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

um excuse me posted:

Or people dumping gear because the pandemic is absolutely murdering the photography industry right now.

Perhaps. So it is good time to buy stuff as a hobbyist who has even an RTX 3080 and stuff and nothing else to do with the money since travel etc are off limits :shrug:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ihmemies posted:

Perhaps. So it is good time to buy stuff as a hobbyist who has even an RTX 3080 and stuff and nothing else to do with the money since travel etc are off limits :shrug:

donate it to goonfund, people are literally being saved from eviction and poo poo

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

donate it to goonfund, people are literally being saved from eviction and poo poo

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

I once owned a 300mm f/2.8 lens but it was so stupid heavy it totally was not worth it to haul around. The 300/4 even focues down to 1,5m for 1:4 magnification, which is surprisingly close.

I picked one up for a similar price. Great for birding when paired with a 1.4x (I got the v2 for ~150). I don’t know why people recommend the 400/5.6 which has similar optical performance but no IS. With IS, I can handhold comfortably at 1/250 or even 1/125.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Thinking of trading my pretty mint condition 760D in for a older FF Canon for some astro/landscape etc (I have all EF lenses and my 80D for my birding/macro)

Was thinking of either a "good" 6D or a "really heavily used" (150k shutter count) 5D mkIII

Any thoughts on which one I should go for or any other ideas?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Not sure you'll be able to spring a trade in the way you are thinking. Not many people with an older FF will want to give it up for a crop sensor DSLR. I know I don't. You'll probably be better off selling it and then buying the FF.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Someone just posted a 5d3 kit in the buy/sell thread.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

An acquaintance just bought an eos 60d to replace his t6 and he's using it tethered to a computer via usb with the eos utility. The 5x and 10x live view zoom options that he used for fine focus on the t6 are greyed out with the 60d. Anyone have any idea why that might be?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
There's ~5 years between those cameras iirc, so maybe it's not supported on the older 60D

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

New firmware for the R5, R6 and 1DX mk3 is out, mostly video changes (120fps at 1080p is available) and some other random stuff, like FTP fixes.

An interesting new feature is to import/export all camera settings from/to a file on the SD card. Guess it's a good way to back that stuff up.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm selling my refurb 7d2 if anyone's interested.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759085&pagenumber=49#post513822153

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Looking at fast 85mm prime. Having a hard time deciding on what to go for.

Samyang XP 85mm F1.2
+fast as heck
+sharp as heck
-manual as heck
~650CAD on eBay

Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 VC
+sharp
+autofocus
++image stabilization
-need a seperate piece for settings/firmwares
~650CAD on eBay

Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM
+cheaper
+autofocus
+sharp
+half the price of the other two

The Samyang is so cool. But I'm run and gun most of the time. So leaning toward the Tamron with IS. But other people's experiences are welcome.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Manual focus sucks when shooting wide open at long focal lengths. Tamron is what i'd get f/1.2 is for posers ;)

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The Samyang 85mm/1.4 MF is a good bargain if you don’t mind manual focus

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I paid 1000€ for EF 85/1.2L II. I think it is worth it. Build quality is bad, the lens feels icky, plasticky, and focusing ring is loose and rattly. At least the photos are good...

Anyways, I bought an EF 50/1.4 ART for 420€. Guy had bought it new in 2015 for 565€ so he didn't lose really much money while owning it. This thing is quite big for a 50mm "normal" lens. I will test it on Sunday. Have to update the firmware first, my adapter said the lens needs an update but I don't have a Sigma EF dock at hand.

With this lens finally the "aperture preview" function works in my Panasonic S1! Maybe I should buy a native 85/1.4 DG DN Sigma and sell the EF 85/1.2. But the 1.2 is 1.2 and it is so drat cool to take photos with it. Here are some 85/1.2 photos:

The effect is unbelievably strong. I've heard that optically the Samyang 85/1.2L is good, and MF isn't that bad. All those photos were taken with MF.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 15, 2021

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I totally missed the release of the EOS RP. The video limitations are hilarious. Good ol' Canon.

EDIT: OK THEY ADDED 24FPS IN 1080P IN FIRMWARE.

EDIT2:

Everyone: WORKS FLAWLESSLY WITH EF/EFS.

Well actually... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zqEoSYgwJI

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 15, 2021

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a solution for working with R6 raws on a Mac? I just kind of assumed this would be worked out by now but apparently not. MacBook Pro running 11.2.2. I've updated Adobe Raw. Can't generate a quicklook or open in Preview, and Lightroom Classic won't see them to import either.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
Are they .cr3? My windows laptop doesn't read them either. I had to switch to Lightroom CC but I don't know if there is any way to update/ upgrade Lightroom Classic since they make it so hard to find now.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, they are .cr3. Adobe says my LR classic is up to date. Since Preview can't read them either I think it's not just a Lightroom issue but who knows. I've been trying to google a solution and most of the threads are just someone having problems and someone else saying "works for me, too bad loser" and not really giving a solution, at least so far...

This is on top of the problems I had trying to get a ef-eos r adapter, which has been a month-long saga in itself.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Is there a difference between the R6 raws and R5 raws? On my MBP (running 11.3) I can read .cr3 raws from an R5 and from an EOS R in Preview and LR Classic

This is the version info I get for LR, adobe CC, and preview:

astr0man fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 1, 2021

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Are you shooting compressed raw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

astr0man posted:

Is there a difference between the R6 raws and R5 raws? On my MBP (running 11.3) I can read .cr3 raws from an R5 and from an EOS R in Preview and LR Classic

This is the version info I get for LR, adobe CC, and preview:

Thanks-- this helped me realize what was wrong. Although I was happily hitting "update" on LR Classic in the Adobe updater, I hadn't actually installed a new version of Lightroom and was still running v6 lol. Now running v10 and I can import the files.

For some reason Preview still can't open them but that's not so critical and maybe that will resolve next time I restart my computer.

e: scratch that, Preview CAN open them, but for some reason they won't open with quick look or whatever it's called when you try to generate a preview with the space bar. Now I need to figure out how to update my loopdeck for the newer Lightroom.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 1, 2021