Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

mrlego posted:

Expensive for hobby shooting once in a while, of course.

If you ever have a lens barrel fall out of it's housing during a wedding, then you will know the true value of L glass.

Cost goes both ways.

Oh, absolutely. If I did this for a living, I'd definitely plop a lot more money down as a cost of doing business. Photography's just a hobby for me though, so for now I'll do it cheap(ish) and cheerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I thought maybe I had a bad shutter but I'm glad to see it's not just me. I just upgraded from a T3i to an 80D and I liked the shutter on the T3i better. With the 80D there's no distinct reset on the shutter so if you have it in high speed continuous and don't make a conscious effort to jerk your finger off the shutter if you want a single shot it'll machine-gun a half dozen frames before you realize it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Why not put it in single shot mode?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

charliebravo77 posted:

I thought maybe I had a bad shutter but I'm glad to see it's not just me. I just upgraded from a T3i to an 80D and I liked the shutter on the T3i better. With the 80D there's no distinct reset on the shutter so if you have it in high speed continuous and don't make a conscious effort to jerk your finger off the shutter if you want a single shot it'll machine-gun a half dozen frames before you realize it.

How’s the difference in image quality been? I might jump from a T6i to a 70D/80D.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I loved my 70D and upgraded from a T4i. The difference was noticeable, especially on video.T6i can’t be that big of a step. If you were to step up, I’d do a 7D II. If you want to do video at all, off the top of my head 80D is better than 70D but not by a lot.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

President Beep posted:

This touches on one reason why I won't be transitioning to full frame any time soon. Most of the EF glass is just so damned expensive.

That’s not EF, that’s L pricing. And in any case it usually holds the value well.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

And in any case it usually holds the value well.
Yeah at my peak I think I had over $10,000 tied up in L glass and got equal or more than what I paid for it when I dumped the system due to price increases from Canon and still having all of the boxes and such. The bodies were the only things that depreciated over the years with the system.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

President Beep posted:

How’s the difference in image quality been? I might jump from a T6i to a 70D/80D.

From the T3i it's pretty significantly, particularly in terms of usable ISO range. For my style of shooting(primarily outdoors photo and video) its been a very worthwhile upgrade with the locking mode selection knob, independent aperture and shutter controls, weathersealing, photo/video switch and continuous auto focus for video. The faster frame rate is also too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

harperdc posted:

That’s not EF, that’s L pricing. And in any case it usually holds the value well.

Case in point.

The L stuff is... yeah. The 70-200 f/4 L is pretty reasonable I think but then it goes way bonkers. How can the $100 kit lens have IS but getting IS in this one doubles the price? Not to mention the f/2.8.

But this only applies to hobby shooting of course, it's hard to justify these prices when the glass would be just sitting on the shelf 99% of the time. For pro use it's all fairly reasonable.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks for the feedback. I’m not too concerned with burst rate, so I’ve not really been considering a 7D, II or otherwise. I’ve also heard the image quality on the 80D is a little better (don’t know if this is true or not). What I’m really after is better low light ISO performance than what my Rebel provides, and from what I can gather a bump up to a more recent XXD body can provide that.

There’s so much conflicting information out there that eventually I’m going to have to stop consuming reviews and just make a choice. Someone ITT recommended I rent the bodies I’m interested in for a test drive, which is a solid idea.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

L lenses are nice and all but Sigma and Tamron stepping up their high end game presents some nice alternatives with your full frame setup.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Um, actually I think you’ll find that they’ll make your camera explode.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The Sigma Art lenses are beautiful and (generally) much cheaper than equivalent L options.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

Helen Highwater posted:

The Sigma Art lenses are beautiful and (generally) much cheaper than equivalent L options.

Does Sigma have weather sealing? That's the only obvious difference from L, but I didn't look at all the ART glass...

E. The sports Sigmas are weather sealed, whatever sports means.

mrlego fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 12, 2018

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

I've touched on this issue before, but they are awesome lenses plagued by autofocus issues. You might get a good one, you might get one that misses focus and is impossible to correct. Canon lenses work every time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is there anything out there that competes with the 70-200 2.8 yet?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

Case in point.

The L stuff is... yeah. The 70-200 f/4 L is pretty reasonable I think but then it goes way bonkers. How can the $100 kit lens have IS but getting IS in this one doubles the price? Not to mention the f/2.8.

But this only applies to hobby shooting of course, it's hard to justify these prices when the glass would be just sitting on the shelf 99% of the time. For pro use it's all fairly reasonable.

Because one of them has an IS group made out of molded plastic lenses and the other has an IS group made out of hand polished fancy ingredient glass ones

Then tack on the obligatory camerabuxx markup and poof

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

Is there anything out there that competes with the 70-200 2.8 yet?

I was super close to trading mine for a sigma 120-300 but I’m glad I thought better. Not a newer one. I have no idea how well that thing does

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Soulex posted:

I was super close to trading mine for a sigma 120-300 but I’m glad I thought better. Not a newer one. I have no idea how well that thing does

It's freaking great....and huge. I had the second generation (3d is better still). It was sharp, reasonably fast focus and accurate. Plus, at 300 2.8, great portrait lens.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

hope and vaseline posted:

L lenses are nice and all but Sigma and Tamron stepping up their high end game presents some nice alternatives with your full frame setup.

Seriously. The art lenses are basically on par or better IQ . The latest from Tamron (24-70, 15-30, 70-200) are basically the last gen L IQ. and around $1000 less. The downside is the lenses are larger, including front optics, so bigger filters (or none for the 15-32). I'm not a pro, but I'm competent, and the vast majority of these were taken with Tamron lenses

http://www.jasonwrigley.com/

Sorry for the terrible hobbyist site.

If this works, it's probably one of my recent favorite.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

torgeaux posted:

It's freaking great....and huge. I had the second generation (3d is better still). It was sharp, reasonably fast focus and accurate. Plus, at 300 2.8, great portrait lens.

poo poo I'll bet. My biggest complaint about going FF is I can't reach out and touch poo poo like I used to. That last generation is like 3k for the sports variant, and that's gonna be a rent always thing.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

ijyt posted:

I tried a friends 5D IV today and the shutter button was mushy compared to the clicky one on my 60D, he said the 5D II he had was the same, does Canon use different shutter button mechanisms on their pro bodies? Seems like a strange thing to differentiate.

Same feeling I got when I upgraded from my 650D to 6D. The tactile feedback isn't as good.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Trip report with the 70-200 f/4.

Lens very good.

550D autofocus, not so much :negative:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

That first one is definitely a keeper.

Also, it’s always encouraging to see someone getting good pics out of a Rebel—it gives me hope!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Lens very good.

Might have been your AI Focus settings. Looks like single shot.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

That bird looks pissed off about grapes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Probably just mad it couldn't stuff all three in its beak. Two were doable though!

President Beep posted:

That first one is definitely a keeper.

Also, it’s always encouraging to see someone getting good pics out of a Rebel—it gives me hope!
Yeah I got a few good shots, but frustratingly none in flight. It's certainly not a controversial opinion to say that glass is more important than the body, to a point, but it does lower your hit rate and requires more time and workarounds to get the shots.

Soulex posted:

Might have been your AI Focus settings. Looks like single shot.
Might be in some of these, but I was definitely trying Ai/Servo too. Mostly I think I was either not getting the subject in one of the few focus points, AF being too slow, or just misfocusing. I'm sure it could do better with some practice, I don't shoot birds very often normally.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Did you get the IS version?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I did race panning with a 500d for years, definitely need a lot of exposures to get keepers but it's not slit your wrists bad.

By far the best perk upgrading is low light performance.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

mobby_6kl posted:

Lens very good.

What was you shutter speed for the last photo?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

xzzy posted:

I did race panning with a 500d for years, definitely need a lot of exposures to get keepers but it's not slit your wrists bad.

By far the best perk upgrading is low light performance.

I started out with a 500D too. Got a ton of great pictures with it but the low light performance was absolute garbage. At least it could run Magic Lantern, that added a ton of QOF features.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Yeah, don't sleep on the Rebels. My Rebel XT took this photo with the popup flash and kit lens and I still use it in my sports portfolio:

AppPor-4 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

also, the 70-200 f/4 was the best purchase I ever made early on:
Kil-Kare by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

This post both dulls and exacerbates my gear lust.

On the one hand, it helps to remind me that good shots aren't just all about the equipment. On the other hand, it has me figuring out ways to scrape together the money for a relatively affordable piece of L glass.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 22, 2018

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lighting and composition are by far the most important factors IMO, and improving those only costs time.

On the other hand, the L lenses are niiiice :v:

mrlego posted:

What was you shutter speed for the last photo?
Looks like imgur strips out EXIF data (and also makes jpegs look like poo poo). But it's 1/400. That was one of the first photos actually, and most others are around 1/1000.

President Beep posted:

Did you get the IS version?
Nope. It'd make a big difference, particularly because f/4 isn't super fast (IS does wonders on the 50-250mm), but it's also almost double the price and very difficult to justify for an occasional hobby photographer.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Birds are hard.

I've gone 550D -> 60D -> 6D, and now I really really want a 7D2. And probably upgrade my 150-600 to one of the newer ones.

When I got my 60D I also went 70-300 USM to 70-300L and that lens made everything so much better.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Nope. It'd make a big difference, particularly because f/4 isn't super fast (IS does wonders on the 50-250mm), but it's also almost double the price and very difficult to justify for an occasional hobby photographer.

That's the decision I'd have to make too. Still, it looks like the non-IS does produce some nice stuff.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

very difficult to justify for an occasional hobby photographer.
You're doing it wrong then.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

You're doing it wrong

Please don't reveal my technique.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Birds are hard.

I've gone 550D -> 60D -> 6D, and now I really really want a 7D2. And probably upgrade my 150-600 to one of the newer ones.

When I got my 60D I also went 70-300 USM to 70-300L and that lens made everything so much better.

I went from Nikon D70 to T4i to 70D to 5D Mk iii. I played with 7D's and 7D2's in the military a bunch and that shutter speed is super nice. I just wanted to get away from crop sensors. I took a big shutter speed hit with the 5D but it's worth it.

Also 100% agree with the lens. I went back looking at some of my old sports photos and saw a bunch of chromatic aberration and weird poo poo happening at higher focal lengths. 80D is a nice all rounder despite sounding like a behavioral issue. That flip screen is loving nuts. It sounds like it's an extra gadget but being able to rack focus by touching what you want on the screen is so loving cool to do on a DSLR.

President Beep posted:

Please don't reveal my technique.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Soulex posted:

I went from Nikon D70 to T4i to 70D to 5D Mk iii. I played with 7D's and 7D2's in the military a bunch and that shutter speed is super nice. I just wanted to get away from crop sensors. I took a big shutter speed hit with the 5D but it's worth it.

Also 100% agree with the lens. I went back looking at some of my old sports photos and saw a bunch of chromatic aberration and weird poo poo happening at higher focal lengths. 80D is a nice all rounder despite sounding like a behavioral issue. That flip screen is loving nuts. It sounds like it's an extra gadget but being able to rack focus by touching what you want on the screen is so loving cool to do on a DSLR.

lol

I don't think I'd get rid of the 6D. But I still shoot a large proportion of wildlife, and there are times when the AF on the 6D just can't cut it, even in center-point/back button focusing. The other day I was at a wetland and had a beautiful male Cinnamon Teal fly across my view in gorgeous light and with a great backdrop of colorful marsh grass. Didn't get a single shot in focus. I might look at the 80D again, especially since they show up every once in a while crazy cheap on the Canon Refurb site. But I think the 7D2 is what I really want.