Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

The digital rev version comparing to the T3i because the T4i is so similar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNyuP98KO3A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They've been on sale for over a week:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_260463_-1?WT.mc_id=C126149

In stock, 15% off normal refurb price, $1019.

noooo I just saw they have the 40mm f/2.8 for 80 bucks and it's sold out!

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Edit: they have it right now for $135

I'm still upset that I missed the 40mm when it was about 100 bucks. What a great deal.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

ShutteredIn posted:

Cool. Which ones aren't?

I had some Wasabi ones for my 5d that lasted about a quarter as long as the Canon ones.

I have this for my T2i which is pretty good: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006Y0YZZ6/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Don't know if they make similar batteries for full frame etc.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
How is the Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 HD fisheye lens? It's on sale for 225 USD. I've never used fish eye before. It is gimmicky or useful? I tend to shoot more landscapes.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

erephus posted:

I've gone through a few cameras by now, 1100D / 100D / 700D / Pentax K-50 / 60D and I'm going to settle with the Canon 60D.
This being the first time using a DSLR, I really didn't know what to look for, wasn't comfortable with what I got and was second guessing myself constantly.

Looking for a good enough package deal that left me enough money to upgrade the lens further down the road.

I guess that all of the camera bodys, except for the 1100D, had newer technology and some more convenient photo shooting features in them compared to the 60D. What I got was the Canon 60D and two lenses, Tamron 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD and Canon EF 50 mm f/1,8 II. Perhaps I didn't get the most value for my money but I liked the whole package.

I'm figuring out whether I should return the Pentax and get the money back or a Tamron AF SP 90/2,8 Di VC USD Macro 1:1 lense. I guess the sound advice would be to wait, but I don't know.

You should get a wider angle lens. A good choice is the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 without vc. 50mm and above may make it hard to frame some shots you may want.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

EF 40mm f/2.8 for $136 is a pro buy.

It's been lower refurbished in the past. You can get it new at amazon for 140 USD right now.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Well I think I'll grab it as I missed the 96 dollar deal on amazon a while back.

Edit:
Maybe not just yet... Shipping and tax pops it up to 133 USD. I'll wait.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
yeah you want to get a zoom that's more wide than 40mm. The 40mm is great for it's size and good optics.

Most people recommend the tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 without vibration control. It can be had for 300-500 dollars. It's kind of heavy but it does the job. Only for EF-S mount as on full frame it has vignetting/framing issues.

Hear the wide angle primes are pretty great as well.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Drunk Badger posted:

At what point is that not noticeable? My 18mm doesn't look bad, but I know there's a point where there's too much distortion

I don't know what it looks like when you go that low since I don't have a super wide angle lens, but past 17mm downwards, each mm exponentially widens with fov angle. So super drastic change from 10-15mm compared to 35-40mm.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
I will be going to Iceland sometime soon and I am considering to get an 85mm f/1.8 for my T2i because I hear it's an amazing lens. I know it's used mostly for portraits but I'll likely be walking around cities and the wilderness. How useful is the lens outside of portraits? Is it hard to use for landscapes when I might not have a lot of time to compose a shot?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Any concerns with buying lenses used from B&H instead of canon?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
For night landscapes would it be worth to use the 16-35 f/4 is or f/2.8? I’m curious how different the bokeh is between the two at night. Planning on renting one or the other for travel and the different filter thread size is a bit annoying since I’d have to invest in some 82mm filters if I want to use the f/2.8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

InternetJunky posted:

For astrophotography it's probably worth it to go for the 2.8. Otherwise, what landscapes are you shooting at f/2.8 at night?

Would part body/whole body portrait landscape with night bokeh be unreasonable or would I be better off with a longer focal length? I’m asking about wide angles since I’ve never have used that focal length. I’d be renting first to check it out.