Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BeanTaco posted:

Everybody get the 40mm pancake.
This is an important message that belongs on page 1.

This is a good post.
The 40mm pancake is great on a crop body and it's my go-to lens for plant photography:

Purple1 by juliancallan, on Flickr

IMG_5252 by juliancallan, on Flickr

ban1 by juliancallan, on Flickr

IMG_5241 by juliancallan, on Flickr

Buds1 by juliancallan, on Flickr

Stump1 by juliancallan, on Flickr

All taken with the 600D :)

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 10:25 on May 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SoundMonkey posted:

Just don't y'know, drop it from a height of more than two inches :v:

I dropped the 50 1.8 on a shoot before and thought I broke it completely. I just pushed on the front until the gears all seemed to get back in place and now it works fine :v:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That's some real magic right there, boggles my mind how this won't completely gently caress up the sensor but fair play to them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bolind posted:

Being in Hong Kong is bad for my Mastercard.

Ughgh sexy, post some pics, I'd be interested to see this on an APS-C

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does anyone know of a good eyepiece replacement for a crop body (600D)? I just got a Sigma 30mm lens which is like 48mm on APS-C but when I look through the eyepiece, it looks really small, even though the FOV is basically the same as when I look through my film SLR with a 50mm lens on.

Is there any way to correct this so looking through the 600D will give me that true 50 look?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

Basically, yes. Your mirror box and pentamirror are APS-C sized, so they'll never feel as nice as a film SLR. Electronic viewfinders can be better for this.

Inf posted:

Not really, the 600D viewfinder looks small because it IS small.

Ah I see, thanks!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

While we're on the subject, would a 5D classic have better high ISO performance than a 600D? I was considering buying one as a full-frame stills camera, I don't really care that much for video.
The higher ISOs on the 600D are just garbage, I was out shooting some boxing last night with a 1.4 lens and had to bump the ISO up to 3200+, it looks awful.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Also if you're an autofocus lover. The AF on the 5DIII is godly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Drunk Badger posted:

I've had some time with the T3i now, and it's a pretty good camera. I'm noticing a lot of noise once I get to 800 ISO, but I'm wondering how it compares to the T4i or T5i.

I'm pretty sure it's the exact same filter so there shouldn't be much improvement. I've a T3i too and yeah, the noise on higher ISOs is something I'm starting to really notice.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I read that as a 60D and was wondering why the hell you were paying 2 grand for a 60D :psyduck:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

60D is great, that gyroscope thing is dead handy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The build quality of the 50 1.8 II is complete garbage so if you're doing anything rugged or whatever, get the 40mm.
Both are great lenses. I personally prefer the 40mm, I think it just takes better photos on a crop body.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah get both, why not? If you've got more than one body it's handy, I had the 50 on my Canon EOS5 film camera (RIP :( ) and the 40 on my 600D

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Drunk Badger posted:

I would if I had the room in my bag, but it's packed as full as I could get it, and there's just one little space that could fit either.

To my uneducated eye, they seem to take the same quality picture. Is the 40's build quality better than the 50's? That is probably my biggest concern at the moment.

The 40mm is tiny, I literally use it instead of a bodycap. It only takes up about one inch more than the width of the camera with it on.

The 40mm build quality is also vastly superior to the 50mm:
40mm 2.8 on left, 50mm 1.8 on right

The 40mm has a nice metal mount and feels a lot sturdier. It's also made of metal (I think) and has a rubber focus wheel (It's the weird ever-rotating wheel some other lenses have, focus by wire or something like that).
The 50mm is made of cheap, horrible plastic and the focus wheel feels like complete rear end.

The 40mm is also a lot smaller in terms of space. It's tiny.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I tried to convince her to go with the pancake instead of the 50, because she said she wanted a wider prime than the 50
Oh well. She mostly shoots portraits anyway so I guess it made more sense for her v:shobon:v

She's probably right, the 40mm isn't really a portrait lens, it's just that bit too wide. The 50, especially on a crop, is a much better option if she only shoots portraits. It also goes to 1.8 which is cool for portraits.

Also there's nothing wrong with the kit lens, it's not fast but it's handy unless you're super rich and can afford a very wide lens for a crop body..

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 9, 2013

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GoldenNugget posted:

I'm still upset that I missed the 40mm when it was about 100 bucks. What a great deal.

I managed to pick it up on the gear trade thread for €85, which is amazing. I'm not sure if I'd have paid full price for it but at that prices, total steal.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Platystemon posted:

They both come from the same root, the initials of the International Organization for Standardization, so yes, that is odd.

What about PNG? I can’t decide if it’s “ping” or “pong”. “Pang” is definitely out.

Ping

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I got two non-brand LP-E8 batteries with the vertical grip I ordered and I literally can't tell the difference between them and the official ones.
Unless you see extremely negative reviews, I say go off-brand.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

OK now as far as I know there's no way of doing this but I thought I'd ask:

Say I shoot with a picture style on my 600D. Is there any way of opening the RAW file with the Picture Style Settings in Photoshop's Camera Raw?

Or anyway of converting Canon Picture Styles to something Photoshop can work with?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

1st AD posted:

I believe Lightroom applies the picture style to the tone controls.

OK, I've used Lightroom in the past but never really needed it that much, I might give it another look.

Hotwax Residue posted:

ACR (Photoshop's Camera Raw) will do it under the "Camera Calibration" tab

I have a lot of custom settings installed but I'd like to be able to use the exact ones I shot with on the camera but I can't figure out how to install the Picture Profiles to ACR

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The EOS-M looks awkward as gently caress for someone with big hands to shoot with.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bobx66 posted:

Sorry if this has been discussed before but my brand new 40MM pancake lens is no longer autofocusing and I can't tell if I am getting a good manual focus on it either.

Huh, I had that problem once but I just used the workaround described and it went back to working. Sounds like you might need a replacement.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gotta make those lens mugs somehow.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

40mm f/2.8 pancake :getin:

Not especially fast but super cheap and small. Every time this lens come up we all rave about it and for good reasons. Lens is insanely sharp even wide open and is able to get really close to subjects.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

For me, that'd be about €600 off the 6D, very, very tempting.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, that. If you set a "regular" lens to MF, a mode where it does nothing, it'll work because its electronics tell the camera it works in MF mode. A true MF lens without electronics, it won't work for whatever dumb reason.

Uh, what. How is the camera supposed to know what's in focus if you're using a manual lens?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah definitely. 140 bux is nothing for that lens.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've had a 600D for a couple of years now, it's a very good camera, great for video. If you add a vertical grip, which you can get cheap enough on eBay, it feels much better in your hand. As it is, my fingers hang off the bottom of the 600D and this makes it feel awkward so I always use the grip.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Depends on how much you need that godly Mk3 AF

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I just got my hands on an 85 1.8 lens today for a bit, I've never used long glass on my 600D before. This thing is sexy as hell, definitely my next buy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah, I really enjoyed using it. It seems to be a good lens for portraits, I find the 50 on a crop still that bit wide when it comes to getting portraits.
The focus on it is also very nice and fast. It's not super sharp wide open but I'm not that concerned.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

With the godly 40mm :getin:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah the whole "shoot raw and hope for the best in the grade" thing with Canons doesn't really work if you need to pull, they're just never gonna be as good as an actual cinema camera.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Datasmurf posted:

So, going from the 350D to the 50D was great, but I have no idea how to turn on the timer or LiveView. Since I got it for free secondhand, I don't have a manual for it. Can any of you tell me how?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WekT5rK-V1Y

Skip to about 50 seconds for LiveView action.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shellman posted:

Or should I really just shell out the $70 or whatever for an actual canon one?

God no, I got a chinese knock off pair with my off-brand grip and they work fine. Unless you're buying from some REALLY dodgy site you should be fine with any ones.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shellman posted:

I suspected he might be a little stubborn when I came home with one of these

Great buy, that lens seems amazing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Canon treats the crop market like it's for kids so don't expect anything good soon. Thankfully Sigma remember us :qq:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You'll probably need to get one of those battery-things that lets you run the camera from mains, I'd imagine outputting raw via HDMI will drain the battery pretty quickly. Also be careful you don't overheat the sensor I guess.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Trambopaline posted:

Or is Canon's strategy to be sucker people in with cheap zooms and rebels then make them buy full frames?

Basically. Their support for Crop lenses is crap.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Luckily we have Sigma.

30mm 1.4 :whatup:

Spime Wrangler posted:

Is it weird that I want to buy a $550 5D for my $150 40mm pancake?

I am also like this. I've used the 40mm on a 35mm film Canon EOS 5 and it's sweet as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

40mm isn't as fast as the 50 obviously but in every other way I find it better.