Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Boneitis posted:

Is the 60d seriously that inferior to the 50d? I was looking to upgrade from my T1i (which at this case even a Holga would be an upgrade). What are the advertised "advantages" that could outweigh all of this on the 60d?

Flippy screen. More megapickels. Hipster filters.

The no more magnesium and worse controls stuff may be a bit overblown--it's still sturdy and the joystick/pad difference matters most if you're already used to the joystick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

SoundMonkey posted:

Just don't y'know, drop it from a height of more than two inches :v:

Or let your dog eat it.

doctor 7 posted:

Great OP. I had no idea my 60d was so terrible. :(

May want to update it a bit in regards to the Rebels as the T2i and T2i have the same sensor but the T4i and T5i (lol) have a definitely better one.

If you buy the 60D you will never be able to take good photos. Never.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Casu Marzu posted:

Even though my 60D is plastic :ohdear: I've dropped the dumb thing more times than I should have and it still runs like a champ. Whatev.

Hell, I did this with the T3, which isn't even made of good plastic, and it was still fine.

Removing AF micro-adjust was kind of a dick move, but I'll live.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Waarg posted:

So for the last 18 months I have been shooting exclusively with a 1000D and 50mm f/1.8. I LOVE the 50mm for the image quality and I actually really like the tight FoV for photos I make for myself in fact I more often find myself wishing for a little more reach. It IS a little tight for documenting social occasions for Facebook though, and the AF is horrendous. I've recently upgraded my body to a 550D and now have some cash to spend to buy some lenses. The 24-105L seems like my perfect focal length range but unfortunately it's a fair way out of my price range. Are there any decent 3rd party lenses in that focal length region? If not I'm probably just going to get a 40mm f/2.8 and a 85mm f/1.8 as they both look like pretty sweet lenses.

The Canon EF-S 15-85mm IS? It's apparently decent and within your price range if you get it used.

If you can live without having the extra reach, the Tamron 17-50mm.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Ughgh sexy, post some pics, I'd be interested to see this on an APS-C

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/fivre/8719138862/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Yeah, it's pretty sharp. No crop.

Not as much wider but still quite sharp.

Also dear god my laptop screen color is quite odd.

Magic Lantern has always looked cool (focus peaking! a faint possibility of recording live drums without clipping all to hell!) but I figured it'd be a massive UI pain.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Fart Car '97 posted:

The list doesn't exist because there aren't any :smug:

But K-rock said...

Of course, he also thinks the 35L is better than the Sigma because it's made of metal. Much like the Sigma.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You might miss the AF point selection joystick if you're used a body that has one, but otherwise you probably won't notice it missing.

Who needs a joystick when only one AF point works, right?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Centre‐pinch caps are lame. Side release is fine except on a few telephotos with long hoods, and the centre‐pinch caps are like three times as thick.

Lens caps thicker than 10mm are too thick to fit in the pockets of my super-tight hipster jeans.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Buy a Brother laser printer! The Canon Thread

Platystemon posted:

In RAW, it’s exactly the same as overexposing ISO 100 by one stop.

e:f;b

Is this the same for the HI ISO options?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Or get a T3!

(Or spend $100 more and get a 50D)

Edit:
A second control wheel for exposure compensation/manual mode, LED panel, and joystick (non-terrible AF point selection) namely

It is worth noting that manual mode is still usable without the second wheel; you hold the compensation button while using the control wheel to change aperture. I realized this rather too late.

vvvv

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 31, 2013

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Seamonster posted:

How are 60Ds doing in the used market? I know I'm going to have to sell mine in order to finance a 5Dm3 later this year.

You will need to sell about 4 of them.

May be worth noting that the 70D is probably going to be announced in July.

Even selling one the additional cost to buy just a 6D is $1k :(

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

corkskroo posted:

And finally, is the 1.4 that much better than the ol' 1.8 when it comes to the 50mm? That's pretty much our every day lens so for a few bucks it could be worth upgrading if image quality was that much better, especially with the $1000 savings over the 5D.

Not optically, really. It adds faster, quieter AF, better build quality, and full-time manual focus.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Claw Massage posted:

While 4.0 isn't a blazing fast aperture, you are going to be able to raise the ISO so much higher than you are used to doing if you get the 6d (or even the 5d). A lens with IS would be more beneficial than trying to go to something like 2.8 or lower.

I'm slowly creeping up the ISO chain on my 6d...at first I was scared to go higher than 400 because of my previous rebels performance. Now 3200 is no big deal.

I'm looking at the ISO noise tests on dpreview and it's such a huge jump from any of the current crop sensors. 12k and 25k look better than 6400 and maybe even 3200. I'll miss flippy screen now that I've gotten used to it and it'll kill my wallet but it just looks so drat smooth. I'll be able to use shutter speeds above 1/80!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Cute as heck posted:

Also get a 1.4, it's good for the soul.

But get a Sigma.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the exact same filter so there shouldn't be much improvement. I've a T3i too and yeah, the noise on higher ISOs is something I'm starting to really notice.

All Canon crop sensors perform the same. If you trust the graphs, the T3 is actually one of the best performers! With NR on they're different, but that's only for in-camera JPEG processing, correct?

Supposedly the 7dii still isn't coming out for a while, but the 70D is scheduled for July. What I'm saying is you should buy my 60D so I can buy a 6D.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

I saw something on my 60D last night that was weird. The exposure indicator split into three evenly spaced indicators and started flashing, and wouldn't let me shoot. It's like it was in some sort of bizarre bracketing mode, which I don't know how I could have turned on, but also forbade shooting. What does it mean?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

doctor 7 posted:

T4i has a better processor that reduces noise comparatively to the T3i and below if I remember right.

Also I just went from a T2i to a 60D and it is such an improvement, so yes upgrade to this man's 60D.

It does have a newer processor, yes. I just don't know if that matters for RAW noise. Does the camera apply any noise reduction to RAWs, or only to JPEGs?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

æʃoʊɫ

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

"[ts posted:

xenophobe" post="416511859"]
Help me rebuild my setup. So I have the dubious pleasure of trying to replace all my gear. Last night SOmeone broke into my car, grabbed my camera bag, and left with it. I had a gripped 60D, tamron 28-75, tamron 70-200 vc (just bought the drat thing), a 50 1.8,and a yongnuo flash, all in a Crumpler 6 million dollar home. It looks like I will get around 1750 from my insurance. Any advice on how I should go to build up either something similar, or a different way to go? I had thought about maybe moving to a 6D and just a 50 1.8, or backing up a generation and getting a refurb T2/3i and a quality mid range zoom, I also see used 7D's for under 1k on KEH. as far as input from me, I used the 28-75 most often of all 3 lenses (the 70-200 was an updgrade to replace another lens, use specifically to photograph roller derby).

e; I could probably add about 250 to it

Well, if you feel the need to get another 60D: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=149#post416138901

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

woot fatigue posted:

I'd rather spend more than deal with CA issues.

Buy a Leica M Monokrom

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Erwin posted:

What does the "expanded ISO" of 25600 mean on the 70d specs? From what I can find it means that the range goes up to 25600, but the quality suffers above 12800 so they just claim that as the maximum "native" ISO.

Also, am I right in thinking that a 70d at 12800 ISO gives me 3 full stops of exposure over my XTi with 1600 ISO? Like, a shot exposed properly at 1/60 on the XTi would be exposed properly at 1/500 on the 70d? That seems like it can't be right.

The sensor doesn't support that high of an ISO, but the camera will take a shot at 12800 and add one EV when it processes to JPG.

Might modify RAW shots too, but it's the same thing.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Wario In Real Life posted:

So as a complete hobbyist / newbie, what's the better prime?

Canon EF 35mm F/2 at $299 or a Sigma 30mm F1.4 at $399

Or are there better deals to be had on either of those?

Make decisions for me because I'm too stupid to make them on my own.

The Sigma.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Any modern camera with less than 50 AF points is a disappointment amirite.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

That terrible, terrible 6D ruined so many of my shots... :argh:

The 6D AF is actually a disappointment and clearly a "haha, buy a 5diii you fucks" move, but yeah, it's not like focus-recompose isn't perfectly valid for a lot of situations and didn't serve manual SLRs just fine for decades.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Mr. Despair posted:

If you want really accurate low light focusing you should probably just buy a pentax k-5ii instead.

The Canon Thead: Buy a Pentax.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

HPL posted:

Just to be cheeky, Sigma should put both a red and gold band on their lenses.

They should offer them in anime colors, like Pentax.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

xzzy posted:

It means the camera won't try to refocus when you half-press the shutter.

Also the source of some fun "oh no I broke my AF motor" moments.

Either way back-button focus 4 lyfe.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

erephus posted:

If you feel resistance when turning the focus ring and have AF on then you should be a bit paranoid.
When I have used a lens that support focus while on AF is on never had any resistance when turning the focus ring.

I am not saying that all lenses that don't have a resistance when using the focus ring while on AF are meant to be used that way.

Aren't most of them non-mechanical now anyway, i.e. AF doesn't turn the ring, and the ring just instructs the motor to change focus by X amount?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Pablo Bluth posted:

And a joystick, for that easy selection of AF points.

That said, the 8-way dpad thing is fine for the number of AF points on the 6D, unless you're coming from a 50D and really like the joystick.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Spime Wrangler posted:

So what you're saying is I should buy a $9 EOS 650 from KEH and shoot a bunch of Tri-X, right?

No, you should buy a Pentax ME Super.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Any are certain Canon lenses white, anyway?

For :science:

But also brand recognition.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Buy a Pentax or an Olympus and put 3 layers of weird adapted Soviet/Fuji/Contax on it to shoot your cats! The MrDespair Thread

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Mr. Despair posted:

It's more of an instax/yashica-mat sort of night, to be fair.

Also a 5d + pentax 50/1.4 would be a great cat camera and I sorta wish I had one just for cats.

Mavica+Pentax 50/1.4?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

1st AD posted:

To be quite honest I've handled the 6D and it doesn't feel any less solid than any 5D model.

Having thrown the all-plastic 60D and T3 both onto hard surfaces without ill effect, I don't fully understand this concern.

That said, an attached lens did break two months later.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

All my lenses are made by Sigma anyway and I don't have one of the bodies with the nice AF system that would actually be useful for concerts.

I've made bad camera decisions.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Current best in class focus, current best in class image quality, costs less than several months' worth of a middle class salary; pick two.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

harperdc posted:

There's no good cheap 35 mm for APS-C, true, but there's now the 40 mm pancake and the 24 mm pancake (which is APS-C only) which are both super cheap and awesome lenses. I used to be jealous of my friend's cheap DX 35 mm prime, but with the pancakes it all seems to even out to me.

There's the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. What's 5mm between friends?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

harperdc posted:

The Sigma might also be more expensive than the 40 and 24 mm pancakes combined. Definitely heavier than both.

One of the major features of the Sigma 50mm/1.4 is that I can beat someone to death with it and not damage the lens at all.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Anyone have experience with both the 70D and 7D mk II, particularly ergo wise?

I'd like to move up to a current gen model from the 60D, which has been pissing me off lately because the autofocus has a habit of saying "gently caress it, I'm out" with poo poo light and moving subjects, and I'd like to believe the MOAR CROSS TYPES MOAR FOCUSING in the current models would help with this. The 6D's low-light center point would be ideal, but I don't want to go back to focus-recompose, and everything other than the center point on the 6D is garbage.

However, one of my pain points with the 60D/70D is the lack of the nipple for AF point selection, which I'm worried would be exacerbated by having more points on the 70D. My experience with the 60D is that the selector on back wheel/set button is limited because there's dedicated button for each point and it doesn't work half the time--i.e. if the camera is "sleeping" (nothing lit up in the viewfinder) because I haven't tried to focus or meter recently it won't actually change the point.

The rest of the differences I'm on the fence about: I don't usually do video, so lack of a flippy screen isn't a killer, and I have no particular need for a touch screen assuming the physical controls are sane. The massive price difference is a bit of a killer though, since I probably can't sell my 60D for much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Bubbacub posted:

What about a 7d Mk I? They should be pretty affordable now that the Mark IIs are out.

I have a 60D at home and I use a 70D at work, and they feel basically identical.

7D Mk I has a pretty old sensor at this point, correct? Looks like it's the same one as the 60D, and the dpreview test shots at high ISO look the same or better, so gently caress it, I guess ISO over 1600 won't look any worse.

As far as used prices, I don't see shutter actuations listed on any of the Amazon or KEH offerings, and it looks like replacing that would add an extra ~$200, but also reports are that it will often live beyond the rated 150k. Should I be concerned about that?