Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

mearn posted:

As the owner of a T3, I fully endorse this thread title. It's not a bad camera, and I don't blame terrible photos I take on it too often, but if I had done a bit more research and known then what I know now, spending a little more on a T3i would have been a no brainer.

As the owner of a T3 for 10 hours, I enjoy the T3i's ability to not have me leave giant palm-prints on the screen every time I grab the camera!

The other differences will make sense once I'm finished reading everything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
What's good for 58mm polarizing filters? I've seen one in action and I think it might be worth having for some outdoors pictures. I see this that comes with a case, but I have no idea what brands are the best or worst

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Anything (way) under $50?

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I've had some time with the T3i now, and it's a pretty good camera. I'm noticing a lot of noise once I get to 800 ISO, but I'm wondering how it compares to the T4i or T5i. Is there enough of a difference where it would be worth upgrading while I'm still able to do so, or is it all close enough that I shouldn't be so picky and I can take care of the noise through other means anyways? Being new to better cameras, I'm not sure what I should be expecting, but I'm enjoying it enough that I'm fine with throwing more money at it.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
It's not a big deal to me, I just didn't know if it was any better for a few extra bucks. Thanks for the advice.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I've got room in my case for one more lens. 50mm F/1.8 II or 40mm f/2.8 STM?

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I have the stock IS lens with the t3i that covers both MMs, so I won't be adding anything new there. I know I heard a lot about the poorer build quality of the 50mm, is the 40mm better there? Otherwise, I don't know exactly what I'd be doing with it, I just don't have any prime lenses.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah get both, why not? If you've got more than one body it's handy, I had the 50 on my Canon EOS5 film camera (RIP :( ) and the 40 on my 600D

I would if I had the room in my bag, but it's packed as full as I could get it, and there's just one little space that could fit either.

To my uneducated eye, they seem to take the same quality picture. Is the 40's build quality better than the 50's? That is probably my biggest concern at the moment.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Went and got a 50mm f1.8. Take a picture, and hear a strange beep I've never heard before.

drat it.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Yes, but it still occasionally pops up. I'll swap it with another at the store and see what happens.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Brought back the faulty 50mm for a new one, and a working version is a lot better. I can see this working well in lower light.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Oprah Haza posted:

Going along with this, my 17-40 met a horrible death last night...

You're not going to tell us how? :allears:

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I've been noticing an issue with my T3i and my 64GB card, where the red storage access light flickers while the camera is on, as if it never finishes writing images to the card. This happens as soon as the camera is turned on, and only with the 64GB - my 16GB cards don't do this.

It doesn't seem to be losing images, so I'm not sure if this is really a problem, but has anyone else noticed this or knows what's going on?

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of a solar-powered way to charge my T3i's batteries? Anything I could charge a phone with would be nice as well.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Alternative power is useful if you're going to be away from the grid for any period.

In my case a dc-to-ac converter that plugs into a cigarette lighter has always been sufficient as I always have a vehicle available, but that may not work for everyone.

If you hunt around you can also get Canon battery chargers that plug into the cigarette lighter directly, just in case the dc-ac-dc conversion offends your inner nerd.

I'm going to get dropped off in the middle of nowhere via plane, so no cars around. Some extra batteries wouldn't be a bad idea either, maybe as a step up into one of those battery packs I can throw a bunch of batteries into. There will be a few good opportunities for a late-night star timelapse, so I might be burning through some batteries easily.

Are there any good solar-powered options at all?

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I have a t3i, and I'm looking for a wide lens for things like sky time lapses where I'd like to cover a wide area in one picture. I have a lens that goes down to 18mm, is a 8mm too wide for what I want to do? Any specific lens recommendations?

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Soulex posted:

You'll start to get a fish eye effect if you go to low.

At what point is that not noticeable? My 18mm doesn't look bad, but I know there's a point where there's too much distortion

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

BetterLekNextTime posted:

This is 8mm (Sigma 8-16)

atv_startrail 062 on Flickr

Looks exactly like what I want to do, hopefully I can find one for less than the $650 Amazon is asking

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

BetterLekNextTime posted:

There's at least one in the buy/sell thread right now .

It's a totally fun lens, but if you want to use filters it might not be your first choice. The front element sticks way out.

That's temping. What would I lose in terms of functionality compared to an official lens?

Drunk Badger fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 24, 2014

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Badger posted:

That's temping. What would I lose in terms of functionality compared to an official lens?

I'll rephrase my question - I thought I read somewhere that some third party lenses weren't comparable or were missing a chip that did things like autofocus or report the lens settings you used for a picture. Being somewhat new to DSLRs I may be misinformed about it all, and you guys have actually used these things

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I've had my t3i for about 3 years now, and the only thing I think it is lacking in is low light photography, probably most annoying is the noticable noise involved with getting good starry sky pictures below a 20 second exposure. I shoot in jpeg only and have wondered if not using raw is my problem, but outside of that is there a reasonable body improvement that I could upgrade to?

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
If I go with a used 6D, what do I look for in used cameras to tell how used it is?

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Looks like the 6D won't work with the EF-S lenses I have... What's my best option that is compatible?

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

mrlego posted:

This is pretty great.

That's the kind of thing I'm aiming for, but that's just the primary reason I was thinking about upgrading, I certainly don't mind the improvments is see in other situations.

Maybe the answer is to shoot raw, so I think I'll give that a try this weekend. I'm leaning towards the 7D mk 2, but if the cost of replacing everything isn't too bad, I'll just work more overtime to cover the difference to the 6D and know that I've upgraded as far as I reasonably should.

What's the Magic Lantern situation for the 7D mk 2?

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
After some research, I think I'll go with the 7D mk2. I'll be able to use my lenses (and save at least $2k in not buying new ones immediately), and while there isn't a Magic Lantern build for it yet that I can see (I loved using it with my t3i) I primarily use it for the intervalometer, which is in the camera anyways. The reviews of the sensor make it seem like it's on par with the 6D as well. I'll plan to go full frame next time, but unless someone sees something wrong with my thinking, I think I'll get one tomorrow.

On a side note, why is this bundle cheaper than the cost of the body? http://www.amazon.com/7D-II-Digital-Battery-Accessory/dp/B00OZVHGI4

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
While I was buying my 7D mk2 the guy at the shop gave me some sort of 150-600 since I said I was interested in something long range, but I can't remember if it was a Tamron or Sigma. What's my best choice for the two (or other) brands since those two are around the same price?

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I did see the dock and thought it was interesting, I suppose if I go with the Sigma buying the dock is practically required as well?

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

timrenzi574 posted:

It's not necessary, but if you want to get the most out of what they offer you, it's a great plus. (And it's only 60 bucks)

Which is nothing compared to the $1K lens I'm probably going to impulse buy tonight (I can upgrade my computer later, that's what I'll tell myself). What useful things does anyone do with their dock?

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

That isn't the sport version, is it?

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

There's only one version of the Tamron. Signs has two versions of that focal length. Someone who's not on a tablet should post that to the bird thread.

Yeah, I just realized that's not the Sigma version. That would have been too good of a price for the Sigma sport version.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to replace the 18-55 kit lens I got with my t3i with something better. What's the ideal expensive / not expensive option for that range? I'd prefer a full fame mount as that will be my next camera purchase at some point.

I was also thinking about one of the Sigma or Tamron all in one lenses, something that goes from ~18 mm to 250/300 mm. Are those worth looking into, or am I better off with more shorter range lenses?

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
It's going to be a hiking / tourist lens to complement the Sigma 150-600 I also bring with hiking. As for budget, keeping it under the $1k I spent on the Sigma would be ideal

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Sigma 17-50 2.8 or 17-70 2.8-4? I've heard good things about the Canon 15-85 3.5-5.6, but it's still the standard kit lens aperture range.

The 17-70 is a macro, which could be nice with my 100mm macro. Might have to go with that one.

Speaking of macro lenses, what's good for third party ring flashes that would fit the one I currently have?

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-100mm-f-28l-macro-is-usm-refurbished

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I have a 7dmkII so I could use a crop lens, but I'm planning on my next body upgrade to be a full frame, so I've been leaning towards full frame lenses for that compatibility

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
What's the typical price for a "near mint" graded used 6D? I have a shop that has one with the box and accessories for $735, and I'm wondering if I should go back and get my first full frame body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

Just remember that EF lenses are generally much more expensive than EF-S lenses. Not a big deal if you already have L glass, but a bit of a sticker shock if you don't. Looking at the normal zoom range in EF glass reminded me of that lately.

I have some EF lenses already that work great on my 7DII, just looking for a full frame body to go with them