Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'm sure I could get used to the lack of a joystick but i love the it after having a camera without one.

As far as the 50 vs 60, anecdotally I use the 60d at work and the 50d at home and I prefer the feel of my 50 much more. THE 60 feels too plasticy for my taste and the screen flip does nothing for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

ShotgunWillie posted:

I need some extra batteries for my 6D. I read that Wasabi Power and Sterlingtek both make decent 3rd party options. The Wasabi power seems like a better deal and has a better warranty. Any experience with them?

I just got some wasabis in my gopro but have always run sterlingtek in my cameras for about the past 5-7 years. Sterlingtek batteries have outperformed my Canon/Olympus batteries from day 1. They hold longer charges and are cheaper if you buy 2 batteries. I've never had a reason to complain about those batteries, they just work no questions asked and without fail in several types of camera. 2 of the Canon batteries in my gripped 50D makes me feel like I can shoot continuously for days on end.

I havent used my gopro extensively yet to determine the quality of the wasabis but they seem to function about the same. Its going to take some time before Wasabis credibility is up there with Sterlingtek but they are probably worth their price.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I shot a wedding this weekend and rented a few lenses for my 50D. A 35 1.4L, 70-200 2.8L, and 40 tilt shift.

My mind was blown.

I mostly used the 35L and my 17-50 2.8, but the 70-200 was absolutely awesome just loving MASSIVE. It honestly felt more like a heavy piece of industrial equipment than a camera lens but it was really fun to shoot with ... I just had to go across the street to use it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I somehow glossed over that critical point.

I definitely found my 70-200 a bit too tight for shooting events on my 7D, but on full-frame it's perfect.

It was a really nice lens and ridiculously far reaching as I ran down the block to capture a shot of the party walking towards me. I would kill to own this lens, just as long as I have an assistant to carry it for me.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Seamonster posted:

Come to DC right now and see all the bacterial growth tourists with their rebels and 18-55mms set permanently to auto

My lunch break consists of people watching here in Chicago. Its amazing how many people are rolling really nice cameras (50-60D/7D) and their pop up flash goes off when they take a skyline shot.

The Japanese tourists take the cake though with their tripods, 5d3s and L lenses, and someone is usually just walking around with a video camera recording EVERY second of their trip. Numbers would suggest most of this stuff just sits on a hard drive or never gets seen again but SOMEONE out there forces their friends to sit and watch these wandering tourist videos.

I still remember the time I was eating lunch in the park, and this guy asked me to take a photo of him and his family. He handed me a 5d3 and 70-200 2.8. He probably knew I wouldn't be able to run fast enough with that weighing me down. He had it on auto, I hope it was because he assumed I wouldnt know how to use it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

HookShot posted:

Go to Europe and see all the tourists with their 70-200L f/2.8 IS lenses at the Arc de Triomphe or St. Peters.

Like, good job having enough money to buy a lens that ensures you're going to be able to capture 1/10th of the Arc at a time because it's so god damned enormous that with my 18-55 I had to take a panorama to get the whole thing in.

Or they go 2 miles down down the street.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

ShutteredIn posted:

So are all off-brand DSLR batteries garbage?

Sterlingtek batteries would like to disagree with you. I actually prefer them in my 50D than the original Canon batteries because they have a deeper charge capacity resulting in more shots per charge, not to mention they are much cheaper.

doctor 7 posted:

Throw in a couple of these extra power ones into a grip and you can basically shoot until the end of time itself.

This is the absolute truth. I shot about a thousand photos at this wedding over the weekend and I probably could have shot 5 if not 10 more (weddings, not photos).

Verman fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 13, 2013

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

xzzy posted:

Yep!

All the options are described in the appendices in the manual.

Back button focus changed my life. I feel like I had so many fewer wasted shots at my most recent wedding.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

mAlfunkti0n posted:

And keep in mind the customer loyalty (use any old film camera .. buy one for $5 or so off CL) and get 20% off.

Doesnt have to be only film, it can be a digital point and shoot too as long as it doesnt function

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

mclifford82 posted:

Has anyone run into an issue where, when taking a photo using an external speedlite, the bottom 10% (a horizontal strip) of the frame is extremely underexposed, nearly black?

This only happens to me when I'm using the flash and I'm not sure why. As soon as I power off the flash and take a shot that black strip at the bottom goes away.

5d3 with 100mm L Macro and YN560-II.

two things

Your lens could be too long (especially if you're using a lens hood) and it may be blocking the flash (if shooting straight ahead)

Or you could be shooting faster than the sync speed of your camera

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Just out of curiosity, I just looked up 40D prices and they're down to anywhere from $250-300 used on KEH, and 30Ds are sub $200. Mind blown. Unless you're getting an XT/XTi for basically free, you should consider a 30-40D, much more camera for not a lot of money.

I remember when the 40D came out, I checked it out at best buy and just got the biggest nerd boner over hearing the speed of the shutter on full auto. Thats nothing now.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Huxley posted:

XTi sets usually eBay around $250 for body, kit lens, bag, card, battery and charger. Is that such a bad deal to get started? I will say I wasn't super impressed with the borrowed XT tonight, but I'm trying to keep it under $300-400 for everything plus a 50mm if I could.

Go with a 40D body, it will feel like a heavy duty piece of photography gear and will outperform the XT or XTI by a mile, I believe it also has a longer shutter life if Im not mistaken. Kits on ebay with everything are going for $200-400. If you can, buy the 50 1.8. It will really make a huge difference in the photo quality for not a lot of money.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
KEH is great, and they tend to rate their stuff on the safe side. Most times their Bargain stuff is in absolutely amazing shape and should function perfectly fine, they usually just show exterior wear in places that would be expected and shouldn't affect performance at all. Most times, they will say if something is not functioning, scratched or broken. They also have a 6 month warranty which is pretty awesome for used gear.

I purchased a Canon 10D for my friend when he was accepted to photo school. It was a bargain body and only around $125 at the time when I ordered it. When it arrived it looked flawless but the shutter button was slow to return. I contacted KEH and they offered the option of a full refund or a free upgrade to a bargain 20D. The 20D arrived and I believe he still has it to this day even though he has since graduated a couple years ago and started shooting with newer gear.

Also, pay attention to the numbers. Canon once sold cameras that started with the D first. D20 D30 D40. Those are old and you don't want them. Make sure the number comes first.

Another place to try is Amazon used, right now 40Ds are walking around at $275. You can get one for $300 with prime 2 day shipping. The nice thing about amazon is that they have buyer protection in case something arrives differently than described.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000V5P90K/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1374677916&sr=8-1

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

CarrotFlowers posted:

Losing the eyecups on my cameras seems to be a talent of mine. Brand new 5d3 from 2 months ago, and I already lost it somewhere. :(

If its the same one as the 50D (which I doubt) I have a spare.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Shellman posted:

Just picked up an off-brand battery grip for my T3i (mostly for the added ergonomics, but throwing an extra battery in it wouldn't be bad). Any recommendations for good replacements for the T3i's batteries (LP-E8s)? Or should I really just shell out the $70 or whatever for an actual canon one?

Sterlingtek is the best non manufacturer battery. Theyre all I've been running for years. Never had an issue ... super reliable, hold a longer charge and are cheaper.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

smallmouth posted:

Red Alert! Stop using and recommending counterfeit batteries!

:frogsiren: IT COULD DESTROY YOUR CAMERA SAYS CLEANCUT NON-THREATENING WHITE GUY :frogsiren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giYnDFclziU

I'm pretty sure one of the people in that ad was Emmy Rossum - the lead female in Showtimes "Shameless"

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

IanTheM posted:

Couldn't find anything in the OP, but does anyone know about what brands to look at for non-Canon batteries? Specifically a T3i. Hard to find a real guide/consensus on it.

sterlingtek.com, or they also sell on amazon. Ive been shooting on mine for close to 10 years with Canon and Olympus cameras. Flawlessly.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Sterlingtek.com batteries are beyond solid and way better value/performance than standard brand batteries and you can also find them on amazon.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
50 1.8 shallow depth of wallet

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Kit Walker posted:

I don't mind lugging around a tripod, so IS isn't necessary. Right now budget is my bigger concern (I'd ideally like to pay no more than $400), and I can figure out how to work with whatever I end up getting. I'll have more cash to drop on better lenses in the future, I just want something else for now to start working with other than the 50mm that'll give me the best bang for the buck. Maybe I should just get the Tamaron 17-50?

Also, I guess further down the line, I want to do studio photography so I guess versatility would be more important? More like portraiture and fashion/full-body bullshit. A decent starting lens suggestion for that, too, would be appreciated.

And I'd love to know how you all got so knowledgeable about this sort of stuff. Any sites I could check out to study it all?

The 17-50 is recommended because for the price it's a really flexible lens. Wide enough for a lot of landscape and interior shots but also for great portraits. Constant 2.8 is great and it's hard to beat for the price. The 17-50 is my main lens because of it's versatility but I've also got the nifty fifty and soon to be the sigma 30 1.4 for portraits.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

mclifford82 posted:

Barely touching it gets it to move.

Story of my life.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Cinque Terre and Portovenere while you are there, both have *some* of the best food and sights in the country :) Amalfi coast as well.

This a million times.

Between Cinque Terre and the Greek islands, any of our photos that we've put up instantly draw questions and travel jealousy. Most people can't believe we've actually been to these places and that these are our travel photos.

Verman fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 8, 2014

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Its a great camera and you can pick it up for around $400-500 used in the right places. Its probably the cheapest decent FF you can get at this point. The 6D would be the next step up and thats $1600, hell even the 5d2 is still around $1600 used. I thought there was something with the classic 5D shutter needing to be reinforced but I could be mistaken.

I'm sure someone else can chime in on this with more experience but I've sometimes thought about doing the same thing.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Bang3r posted:

so my decoded third party batteries have finally died in the rear end, they will charge to full but after about 20 seconds in camera will show up as empty then shut off.. I have one legit battery that's fine but I really don't feel like paying $60-70 x3 to replace these. The ones I have now are no name brands but can anyone recommend a good third party canon brand? (I have a 5dm3 so they have to be the LP-E6)

Sterlingtek. My sterlingtek batteries have lasted me probably close to 4 years and are still going solid, and hold a charge longer than my canon battery. I won't buy replacement batteries from anywhere else.

Verman fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 10, 2014

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
For my backpacking trip last week I finally decided to leave my 50d at home and instead brought my old Nikon p&s and my gopro hero 3. I sacrificed not really being able to take great stills but to lose the weight of my 50d + 17-50 2.8 was incredible. Having a tiny camera in my pocket was more convenient than a heavy SLR around my neck. My p&s takes reasonable stills but lovely video and the gopro takes great video albeit super wide angle and a little distorted. You just have to pick whats important to you. If photos/video is important go with a better quality camera knowing you're going to have to carry a clunky camera around. If you want to enjoy the trip a little more and focus on the experience versus being a camera man, go with a gopro for the sake of getting very decent video and it being wearable. Mount it in different positions. You can wear it up high on your helmet to get a better downward perspective of your whole body from above.

I just need to suck it up and go with a Sony RX100. incredible stills and video while still being very pocketable.

And yes with bouldering you might end up with a lot of footage of rock with a chest mounted gopro. Mounting it to your head could get you more control of the views but the video might be twitchy as you move. My scrambling video was great when I looked down or away from the mountain side, but when I was trying to shuffle along a narrow ledge and hang on for dear life it was all rock.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Speaking of weddings, I just rented a sigma 50-150 2.8 on my 50D and I liked it a lot. I'm missing a telephoto from my kit and was interesting in picking one up. I was tossing between the Sig 50-150 2.8 (discontinued), Sig 70-200 2.8, or possibly the Canon 70-200 2.8L (non IS) or 70-200 4L with IS.

I'm not looking to go FF any time soon but it wouldn't hurt if the lens could move with me if that ever happens and I think the 50-150 is the only lens that cant go FF. I used the 70-200 2.8L IS on a wedding prior and enjoyed that lens though I never actually used the IS. I'm trying to determine if it would be better to lose a few stops and go with the f4 with IS versus the 2.8 without, or just go Sigma and get both for the same price. Any thoughts would be helpful

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

AmericanGeeksta posted:

I looked around and I didn't see a thread specific for pricing questions, so I apologize if this is the wrong place. I've been looking at various DSLRs for while; I have some experience shooting some of my friends different cameras. After a bit of research, I've decided to pick up a 50D (because I have no interest in video and I don't want a camera I'm going to out grow quickly). That being the case, what is a reasonable priced set up for a 50D likely to run me?

a 50D on KEH will run you about $400. For what its worth I'm still enjoying mine. I picked mine up off the Canon refurbished site with their loyalty program a few years back and its been solid ever since.

In the next year I will probably be looking to upgrade but I'm not sure if I'm going to want to go FF or 7D2. We'll see how the field plays out.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

triplexpac posted:

Is there a benefit to staying with a crop? I went FF and I can't imagine going back, I love it.

Mainly price, and the fact that I've got a few lenses that are crop only. I'm not looking forward to replacing lenses.

Is Canon still doing the loyalty program?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Bob Mundon posted:

Just realized with the incoming 5D, can it export by usb or do I need to get a compact flash reader really quick like?

Just get a USB 3. card reader and be done with it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I have an adorama brand grip for my 50d and it's been great for the last few years. I prefer the feel of a gripped camera and extended battery life so it stays on most of the time. It can get a little heavy especially with a big lens. Surprisingly the build quality and materials matches the camera really well. In my opinion a $50 grip was just as good as the $200 grip.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
God I wish they could stop making a clusterfuck of the naming/numbering conventions

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Just picked up a 70-200 2.8 version 1 non IS.

:stare:

Its an awesome lens. I've rented it for weddings (both IS and non IS) in the past but finally decided to just invest in buying one to have. I'm also leaving for a safari in Africa tomorrow so that created a little urgency.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I'm also shooting on a 50d with plans to upgrade to a 5d3 very soon.

My 50d has been great and has paid for itself (and all my other gear) many times over at this point. Looking forward to going FF but replacing all but one of my lenses won't be fun.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Sterlingtek. Cheaper than canon and they perform the same or better. They typically last longer power charge than my oem.

More reliable than other third party batteries I've ever used (wasabi etc)

I've been using them for about 10 years in various cameras (Olympus, canon and Sony) and I've never had a bad experience.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I've used sterlingtek batteries in canon, sony and olympus chargers without any issues.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
The only thing I'm excited about is the price drop in used 5d3 bodies. I don't really feel that the 5d4 is nearly as groundbreaking as the previous generations and the value of a $1500 5d3 is pretty insane.

And I'm still debating switching to a Sony a7 anyway.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Sigma 30 1.4 is a great little lens of you can find one, they usually run around 200-300 used. The one I have is tack sharp and great for crop bodies.

The fast 1.4 allows you to shoot in lower light and creates a shallower depth of field (blurry background).

It isn't the greatest lens but for the money it's hard to beat.

The canon 50 1.8 is also one of those hard to beat lenses for the money.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
You can find the non IS 70-200 2.8 L for under $1000 and they're great lenses. I believe you can even find the first version of the 2.8 70-200 L IS for just over a grand if I remember correctly.

I bought my 2.8 70-200 L NON IS for $800 used in perfect new condition with the canon zip up padded lens case, canon collar, hood and caps.

The 70-200 f4 is also hard to beat for the price as long as you don't need the 2.8

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Is Canon still doing the loyalty program by any chance where you send in crappy point and shoot and get 20% off on a refurb camera? I did that with my 50D years ago, but I want to pick up a bargain 5d3 and was wondering if I need to source a broken point and shoot again ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Got a quote from Adorama for $700 for all my Canon crop gear. I am really considering that offer.

My friend who works at a camera shop was just telling me about the upcoming Sigma 24-70 2.8 FF Art series lens thats supposed to come out this summer. If its anything like the other art series lenses it will likely be sharper than the Canon equivalent and cheaper.