Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Bob Socko posted:

You're right. And, like Canon, Sony views translucent mirrors as a stopgap technology. The next generation of a-mount cameras will probably do away with the mirror altogether. Hopefully, they make less of a mess of it than Pentax did.

In other news, I've updated the OP with the rebadging section. It's towards the bottom, after the lens recommendations. I think I've caught all the rebadged lenses, but if I'm missing one, please let me know.

Hey don't slander the k-01.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

DoctaFun posted:

What better way to explore/experiment with changing from CaNikon to Sony than to buy the lenses I need to sell!

Seriously though I think Sony offers some great, cheap, 'entry level' lenses because of the Minolta compatibility, but there aren't really cheap replacements for a 35/1.4 or 24/1.4. It's probably easier to move from CaNikon to Sony based on the simple fact that it's a lot easier to unload CaNikon gear than it is Sony, as I'm finding out.

Sigma makes their 35/1.4 in sony mount, Rokinon makes a 24/1.4 in sony mount too (the only 24/1.4 besides the canon one, I dunno why people use that as such a sticking point for lens systems).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I've just been seeing a lot of people here lately going "but that camera doesn't have a 24/1.4" while pointing out flaws with camera mounts, even though its a fairly niche lens, and I don't get why.

Well, people brought it up here and the Pentax thread, for sure.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Bob Socko posted:

If it works, it's earth-shattering, as ground breaking as focus metering or autofocus.

If it works.

It's been done before with film cameras, don't see why sony wouldn't be able to make it work.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

My biggest concern would be adding a grip or something so that you can hold onto the nex in a reasonable fashion. Using a 400mm with my om-d is much nicer with the grip attached.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

It's probably the same sort of IBIS that olympus has in their OM-Ds, and let me tell you, 4-5 stops isn't that crazy of a number. It's really good poo poo. My only problem with it is that I hate adapting zooms to my OM-D is annoying since you have to punch in the focal length for the ibis, so you can have it setup at 210 or at 70, but if you're swapping between the two a whole bunch you might as well turn IBIS off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

timrenzi574 posted:

You can get one of those magnifying eyepieces for the screen if you don't mind looking like a gigantic doofus

He already uses canon, so it's not like he can look any worse.

• Locked thread