Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Well, I finally blasted through the last 20 episodes after Zesty and I talked about it in GTA of all places.

I don't think I'm going to miss the show. There were a lot of people in my 20s that thought the best punchline ever was to do something while drunk.
"I'm gonna record myself getting drunk and then read Twilight. Epic!"
So the people on stage being really drunk/high before it even started was increasingly obnoxious to me.

You know how drunk people think they are hilarious but sober people want to push them off a chair? That ended up being the show to me.

Harmon Quest is still great, I'll continue to support Harmon's projects but there's basically zero chance I'm going to listen to this again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Dan is not great. But Spencer and Jeff can be absolute gold. Spencer did that "too high to be here" thing on Harmontown sometimes, but I really dug his D&D podcast and it's a shame he stopped doing that. When he's present, his work is wonderful.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think Dan is charming and I do like him a lot but his attitude towards the listeners became increasingly antagonistic the past year and it became somewhat unpleasent.

I do look forwards to Jeff and Spencer's new show and hope it features a lot of Schrab.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Dan was pretty clearly tired of the show several years ago, and that's even with me not having listened except sporadically for the past couple years. It's not really a surprise that he was bringing his C-game to recordings. There were some great moments (the ED-209 riff, the one episode with Paget Brewster) but everything was just so unfocused.

It was really, really early in the run but I think continuing to edit the episodes would have made for a much better podcast. Looking back at some of the first couple episodes they run like 70 or 75 minutes. Cut out the worst 45 of every show and you'd have something much stronger.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Zesty posted:

Dan is not great. But Spencer and Jeff can be absolute gold. Spencer did that "too high to be here" thing on Harmontown sometimes, but I really dug his D&D podcast and it's a shame he stopped doing that. When he's present, his work is wonderful.

Jeff grated on me because the veneer of "Self-depricating cool guy" wore away and I just found him kinda bossy and arrogant.

Spencer loving rules though. I used to play Overwatch with him a bunch and he deserves a ton of jobs.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Jeff constantly going "oh geez I can't relate to people who like this podcast cause my brain ain't broken" (paraphrasing!) was a little grating. At least Spencer owned Jeff by repeating the "I didn't think it would last seven weeks" line, that was my favorite part of the whole finale.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This is a Schrab all-timer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHXVeItU-oM

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 18, 2019

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

If the show was more of Dan's professional funny friends poking him apart and antagonizing him into getting in a character, like that the top 5 shoes bit, the show would have been great. Instead Dan seemed to think he was going to be an interviewer or something - a thing he said he was bad at. He should have stopped trying to interview guests so often

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So, I was bored this week and watched a bunch of clips from the show.

It really was designed to be watched. I find it much more entertaining this way.

I wonder if a video archive will ever go up of all the broadcasts?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

So, I was bored this week and watched a bunch of clips from the show.

It really was designed to be watched. I find it much more entertaining this way.

I wonder if a video archive will ever go up of all the broadcasts?

Schrab in particular is a delight

Chioooops

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Aww sheeeit!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
When did Spencer first show up on Harmontown? I was listening to an episode of The Adventures of Danny and Mike (from Pete and Pete) dated Oct 2013 and they're reading an email from Spencer

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

When did Spencer first show up on Harmontown? I was listening to an episode of The Adventures of Danny and Mike (from Pete and Pete) dated Oct 2013 and they're reading an email from Spencer

Like, episode 3 or 4 of the podcast or something, which would be summer 2012? It was *really* early.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I remember Jeff getting excited to find someone who knows D&D and then they don’t even try playing until something around 12 episodes in.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Has the Spencer/Jeff project surfaced yet?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
no. Give it like, 6 months.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I wish Spencer would be able to hang out on Safe Space again. :smith:

(Dan keeps him too busy.)

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Haven’t listened in six months. Do any of the last episodes have dan talk about his new hobby with carpentry? I’d be down to listen to that

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Not that I recall. The whole thing kinda ends on a wet fart.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dan picked up carpentry like thirty seconds after (or before) Harmontown ended, I don't think he said anything about it. I remember him quipping about becoming a woodworking instagrammer but I don't remember if it was on the final ep or in one of his workout videos

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

I can see his old Minecraft obsession translating into woodworking for sure

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Dan picked up carpentry like thirty seconds after (or before) Harmontown ended, I don't think he said anything about it. I remember him quipping about becoming a woodworking instagrammer but I don't remember if it was on the final ep or in one of his workout videos

I follow him on insta so he’s been doing that. Bummer, I’m sure it would have been funny to listen to him deep dive about the it

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

https://twitter.com/robschrab/status/1227267872218435585?s=21

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i REALLY wanna know dan's take on kumail clearly juicing in preparation for the marvel Eternals movie :v:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I mean you don’t have to juice if you have a nutritionist, time, and a personal trainer. And he’s admitted that he’s done that!

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
If you have a nutritionist and a personal trainer and it's your job to get ripped then you better be on steroids

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

I mean you don’t have to juice if you have a nutritionist, time, and a personal trainer. And he’s admitted that he’s done that!
lol

Half of Dracula posted:

If you have a nutritionist and a personal trainer and it's your job to get ripped then you better be on steroids
yes

holy poo poo this is way more exciting than anything harmontown did, except for introducing me to rob schrab

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Half of Dracula posted:

:lol: he literally looks like if kumail had a twin brother who went through a really weird gap year

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Everyone who's an action star uses steroids so it's not a big deal if you're smart about it. Which is why you have all those trainers around you.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

googled him

Kumail used a little bit of steroids

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kumail can have a little steroids, as a treat.

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

The first episode of Schrab Home Video aired Sunday night. I don't think there's an RSS feed for the podcast version yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcL6sHh_VxM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyiP1icww4w

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
What did you think?

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

I didn't get a chance to listen to it until today, but it's pretty good! They're still obviously getting into a groove, but Harmontown fans should give it a shot.

Abed Gheith is the co-host ("Schrabtroller"), and Spencer was a guest. Abed's antagonizing of Schrab reminded me of Schrab's antagonizing of Dan on Harmontown.

I do love Schrab, but I'm not really interested in cheesy 80s/90s movies that he adores so much. (Although the "Martial Farts" segment was top notch.) It's not clear how much of the show will be dedicated to that sort of thing. Episode 1 had a couple movie clips, but they ran into copyright flagging issues because of it.

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

Back in business (for one more time, at least)
https://twitter.com/harmontown/status/1355263877609644035?s=21

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
:supaburn:

Hello again, thread. I hope Adam hacks his way into the stream!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
As if that's healthy for anyone.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
What is Dan and company up to, nowadays? I miss emotionally connecting with another narcissistic, self loathing creative person.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Dan left Twitter so I can only assume he’s become self actualized, is now emotionally healthy and sober, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Could you imagine just how unimaginably intolerable Dan would be if he did a 180 and was all clean living and jacked and poo poo? All deep V-neck t shirts and clunky prayer bead bracelets 'bout it.