Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really liked the high levels in MotB, it opened up a lot of interesting and fun builds that are kinda awful to attempt in the OC or SoZ. For example just something as simple as a tiefling wizard with a level of rouge to get access to useful skills. It'd make the beginning of the OC even more of a sludge and never be of any real use in SoZ. Heck even a drow sorcerer is viable in MotB because at those levels losing out on 3 spell levels isn't crippling anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The Crotch posted:

B-but the forest! :qq:

The creepy stalker elf druid in your party is totally ok with it if you've dragged her along, so it can't be that bad.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I would recommend picking up Neeshka before doing the swamp cave, there are some locked chests in that area.

TerminusEst13 posted:

Then Elanee says she's been watching me my entire life. All 98 years of it. :stare:
To be fair that number is so meaningless because you can play a 1 year old elf or a 5000 year old human. Also I don't remember if it's ever revealed how old she is, she could easily been alive for a few hundred years.

Annakie posted:

I always get stuck at the Ilfarn ruins. I don't know why but that is by far my least favorite area of the game. Even worse than the Orc Caves. Probably half the times I've replayed I've abandoned the game or had months of not-playing once I hit the ruins. This time is no exception.

Ghost lights! :argh: (it's not even hard, it's just annoying.)
I know exactly what you mean! I'm currently doing a playthrough with a drow cleric and just reached that part. Not looking forward to it at all.

Try and focus on something great afterwards. Personally my favorite dungeon isn't too far beyond that, Jerro's haven. I'll even get to pick up my favorite npc too. Might just be enough to drive me to finish it.

Poil fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 15, 2013

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I only know that no buffs stack, ever.

Gobblecoque posted:

Also, not a bug issue but is there any reliable way to keep enemies from dog-piling my wizard main character at the beginning of every fight?
Don't go crazy throwing around area spells. Throw out a summon and sit back for a while letting the enemies disperse around the room a little and buff up with a few protection spells. Stoneskin is pretty good for soaking damage. I think the monster AI normally goes straight at the first enemy to come near unless they take damage from someone else. So send in a meatshield first.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's a directx error that has nothing to do with either GoG or NWN2, try (re)installing directx9. Don't attempt to just download the .dll file.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The only place I can think of where enemies respawn is in the final dungeon.

Krowley posted:

How viable is an enchanter sorcerer in MOTB? I found out the hard way that playing a rogue was gonna suck because of all the undeads and spirits you fight are immune to sneak attacks, so I'm just wondering if they're immune to charms and mind-controlling spells that as well.
Undead are immune to pretty much everything. Not sure about spirits though.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 29, 2013

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Abysswalker posted:

EFU is still running, and it's like 8 years old. I'm not sure if there has ever been a popular rp server that just ended, rather than exploding from drama, so it could still happen.

I don't understand why so many rpers are such drama queens.

This world is for, and centered around, me and my precious snowflake character!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Those problems are pretty common though. Derail incoming.

I am reminded of the Shadow World in Rolemaster where you have things like bronze age cultures living next to iron age cultures with no transfer of ideas or technology despite all the trade they supposable do. But my favorite is the totally-not-Aztec kingdom that has conquered a lot of land despite not being able to smelt copper or figure out how a wheel works, despite all their now-conquered neighbors knowing how. Also their lack of metal and wheels is entirely arbitrary since they don't actually lack ore or draft animals. And that's ignoring all the other totally-not cultures (like totally-not-ancient Greece, totally-not-iron age Rome or totally-not-bronze age celts) that are randomly plopped down with appropriate climate with no regards for or understanding about even very basic geography. :downs:

My group had to spend time adventuring near this awful city that everyone in the region liked which was ruled by very high leveled mages who employed a ridiculous amount of seers constantly scrying for any possible threat. If they found one they'd just send out their high level elite knights who all have special unique magical weapons no one else can ever get so the special snowflake city can never have anything bad happening to it forever and ever.

One last thing (I could rant for days), the setting also has a race of humans who are taller, stronger and just plain better than regular humans in every single way. Oh, and they are known as empire builders and are all fair skinned and blond.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

goodness posted:

Why can't they make NWN 3 :(

They made NWO instead. A kinda dull mmo is surely much better?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

mitochondritom posted:

but NWN2 is probably the most buggy and shockingly crappily performing games I have ever played. Even my 2012 built PC (which ran Skyrim on ultra ok) seems to stammer and heat up until every fan is going full power when the NWN2 engine starts. Not even the game itself, but the character creation screen. Just one of those janky old games I guess :iiam:

Reduce the shadow quality and it should run a lot better.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

One thing of note about warlocks, unless it has been patched out using Eldrich Spear allows you to attack from further distance than the enemy AI can detect you from. It does kinda trivialize some parts of the game.

BadAstronaut posted:

Also, how easy is it to transfer saves between PCs? I can probably play an hour or two at work every day on breaks etc, and then a couple hours in the evenings back at home. There's no cloud save, is there?
Very easy if you know how to use a memory stick, it's all under My Documents (saves can go beyond 60mb). No cloud save.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've never seen a game where moving save files wasn't just copy&paste. Excluding mmo's of course.

You don't really need the extra range at any point. Pick something that's good all the time instead. :)

Crafting is a tedium. I could never be bothered to craft anything in the OC and it was still very beatable. If you can live with not-perfect not-the-most-optimal gear you will do fine without it.

Poil fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 11, 2013

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

According to the wiki it should still work. No idea if it actually does in game, sorry.

quote:

Precise Strike

At 5th level, the duelist gains the ability to strike precisely with a piercing weapon, gaining 1d6 piercing damage. This damage is not multiplied on a critical hit. This damage is applied to enemies who are immune to critical hits. Precise Strike does not work when the duelist has an off-hand weapon or shield equipped, but it does work with two-handed weapons. At 10th level, the damage increases to 2d6. The damage from Precise Strike is automatically applied.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah NWN2 hates sneak attacks with a passion.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ever tried to run Storm of Zehir with a six character party with two animal companions, two familiars and six summoned creatures? It's not pretty.

Apparently you keep the monk wis bonus to ac as a druid when shapeshifted. Does that also work in pnp?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

For the love of the gods have one party member with spot/listen, hide/silent move and survival or you'll be moving across the map at a snail's pace constantly getting into combat with monsters you won't see until they're on top of you.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

No idea about the mods, but I believe they moved from one site to another not too far back.

BadAstronaut posted:

Is there any way to increase movement speed? Been ages since I played and nwn2 characters, even when running, seem to crawl over the map.
There are spells like Haste or Expeditious Retreat as well as a few feats that boost movement speed. But two of those require levels in barbarian or monk. Another problem with the feats are that they don't apply to your party members unless they also have them. On the SoZ world map you need to have a higher survival skill on the leader.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I have, but it was years ago. The only things I remember is that manual attacks get a bit repetitive, you probably want to focus on blasts that hit many enemies at the same time and the eldrich-something that extends your range can allow you to attack enemies from out of their aggro range. Which means they'll just stand their and take it, but it might have been patched out since it was before MoTB. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wouldn't a more effective way be to prevent faithless from benefiting from divine magic? Need a healing spell heretic? Tough. Not the slightest idea if it would/could work though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

While I don't know much about good character builds I doubt you're going to reach level 30 with LA+2.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Factor_VIII posted:

Same with e.g. the fact that the default character generation system was "roll 3d6 6 times keeping track of the order of the rolls; these are your stats", which meant that if you played by the default rules then both the race and the class of your character was literally determined by a roll of the dice since they both races and classes had minimum stat requirements. Wanted an elf but rolled a Cha of 7 or a fighter but rolled a Str of 8? Too bad.
I hate hate HATE that poo poo! :rant:
It's bad enough when you have to roll stats at all instead of a point buy or similar. It's like the game goes "Haha, gently caress you for rolling so much more poorly than everyone else. Have fun being gimped, loser. :cawg:".

Ehum, sorry about that but I feel very strongly against it after my own experiences of rolling up stats for pnp. To make a comparison to ancient Greece, it's really not fun when you roll up a powerful Spartan when everyone else rolls up Heracles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mr E posted:

I wish they'd make a game set in almost literally any other Roleplaying system, I can't think of much, especially in the fantasy genre.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/12640/

Factor_VIII posted:

But as 2e might have put it, having a gimped character would give you a unique roleplaying opportunity to play as someone useless; something you wouldn't do if you had control over generating your own character. :)
Sure that can be fun. However being forced to do so is not. I mean, I could enjoy playing a character who was useless (if nothing else it'd be easy to roleplay :v: ) but it would have to be my choice and not up to the dice.

• Locked thread